Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

HDN Arkansas Expectation Theory

Started by 87017, September 14, 2017, 03:10:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

With the current head coaching turmoil surrounding our program, I finally decided to flesh out a Houston Nutt theory that I have been drunkenly considering for the past couple of years.

The theory is this; The 10 year Houston Nutt era of Arkansas football represents the baseline of what we should expect from Arkansas in the SEC.

Basically, we should start judging our head coaches based on what Nutt did here. Head coaching expectations need to be established, especially within our fan base, to help us temper or justify results in the future. We're not Alabama, but sure as hell not Vandy either. Not to say with the right coach, we can't perennially win 10 games (or with the wrong coach lose 10), just what we should expect from a middle of the road coach.

First, let's talk about what happened in HDN's 10-year period as HC. It's easy to go into the rabbit hole of what-ifs, players not reaching potential, or the memorable FOI fiasco, but just examine on-field results. In a pretty large sample size, Nutt proved that Arkansas should consistently have a winning record, compete within the SEC, and make a bowl game.

Here's his 10-year W/L record. (1998-2007)

1998 9-3 (6-2)
1999 8-4 (4-4)
2000 6-6 (3-5)
2001 7-5 (4-4)
2002 9-5 (5-3)
2003 9-4 (4-4)
2004 5-6 (3-5)
2005 4-7 (2-6)
2006 10-4 (7-1)
2007 8-4 (4-4)

Averages:
Conference W/L: 4.2 - 3.8
Overall W/L: 7.5 - 4.8

Averages never tell the whole story though. There were bad losses and big wins, but the average is something we all probably could have guessed. I believe the most revealing thing Nutt showed us though, were the highs and lows of the program. 

2000-01, and 2004-05 were rebuilding/low periods. Something a program like Arkansas needs to expect and the fans need to be okay with. Especially when Nutt backed each of the rebuilding periods with above average periods. A western conference title in 02' and 06'.

1998-99, 2002-03, and 2006 were the high periods. 2002 and 2003 were honestly probably Nutt's most underperforming teams as far as talent goes. But in 1998 and 2006 there was a real chance for Arkansas to compete for a National Title if a few things go our way.

In a 10-year period, going to 8 bowl games, averaging 7/8 wins a season, and in two of those seasons having a legitimate chance to win a title while also being okay with a rebuild or two along the way is who Arkansas is as a program. What Houston did here was exactly that and I think is what we should expect from anyone who leads this program.

Hoggie17

In hind sight that record looks damm good. No he was no BP but much better than CBB.

jkstock04

Tough to disagree with much of that...especially when you lay the numbers out. Some would argue Nutt was a lame duck coach and "imagine how much better we would be with a good or great coach." I for sure said that at the time.

Petrino proved it could get better in a shorter time period but we will never know for sure what he would've done with 10 years because he was only here 4.

To the OP, ya I would gladly take those numbers in a 10 year period as we sit here today. Under Bielema doesn't look like we will come close.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

wildturkey8

Quote from: jkstock04 on September 14, 2017, 03:17:05 pm
Tough to disagree with much of that...especially when you lay the numbers out. Some would argue Nutt was a lame duck coach and "imagine how much better we would be with a good or great coach." I for sure said that at the time.

Petrino proved it could get better in a shorter time period but we will never know for sure what he would've done with 10 years because he was only here 4.

To the OP, ya I would gladly take those numbers in a 10 year period as we sit here today. Under Bielema doesn't look like we will come close.
Y'all are right.

batmanfan

If we could get someone doing better than Nutt but not quite as good as Bobby I think most would be happy.
Images should not be any wider or taller than 250 pixels, max two images.  use  or  to accomplish this.  Total image width is allowed to be 500 pixels, maximum.  Maximum size of all signature images cannot exceed 100,000 total bytes.

hawgon

I look at it this way.  Danny Ford got to the championship game.  Hootie had four seasons out of ten of at least nine wins.  Petrino won eight or more three years out of four.  So, it really isn't that hard to have pretty good success at Arkansas.  Bert is drastically underachieving.

Hoggie17

Quote from: hawgon on September 14, 2017, 03:20:42 pm
I look at it this way.  Danny Ford got to the championship game.  Hootie had four seasons out of ten of at least nine wins.  Petrino won eight or more three years out of four.  So, it really isn't that hard to have pretty good success at Arkansas.  Bert is drastically underachieving.
Danny Ford recruited the first team HDN had. CBB is only better that Crowe of all our full time coaches going back to Broyles.

jkstock04

Quote from: hawgon on September 14, 2017, 03:20:42 pm
One thing that will be argued is it was a different dynamic with the league back then, so you can't compare that to now. Essentially an easier SEC. People even argue that with the Petrino years.

Problem I have with that is that's what people say every season...I've heard it since the Nutt days. "This" is the hardest the SEC has ever been. Truth is it's probably been hard every year for every coach. It's interesting how when Arkansas does have a good year in the conference it's "because the conference was weak then." Well....it also sort of makes common sense if we are winning more conference games the other teams aren't going to be "as good" because we are beating them contributing to their losses.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Hoggie17 on September 14, 2017, 03:16:20 pm
In hind sight that record looks damm good. No he was no BP but much better than CBB.

Dang that looks pretty good compared to the past 5 years.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Wildhog

I'll help you out a little bit and point out that several of those years were with an 11 game schedule.

I totaled up his regular season record and it was 74-40, for a 65% winning percentage.

A 65% winning percentage now is 7.8 wins/regular season.

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

BigBrandonAllenFan

wildturkey8

Quote from: Wildhog on September 14, 2017, 03:27:12 pm
I'll help you out a little bit and point out that several of those years were with an 11 game schedule.

I totaled up his regular season record and it was 74-40, for a 65% winning percentage.

A 65% winning percentage now is 7.8 wins/regular season.

Bielema won 68% of his games in the Big 10 which was decidedly not as strong as the SEC.

Wildhog

To contrast that, Bielema is averaging 5.75 wins/regular season at Arkansas, or 48%.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Wildhog

Quote from: wildturkey8 on September 14, 2017, 03:28:34 pm
Bielema won 68% of his games in the Big 10 which was decidedly not as strong as the SEC.

Yep, he won a lot of games at Wisconsin.
1909/1964/1965/1977

wildturkey8

My point is there is a minute difference and Bielema was in the easier league.

Wildhog

Quote from: wildturkey8 on September 14, 2017, 03:31:30 pm
My point is there is a minute difference and Bielema was in the easier league.

Right?
1909/1964/1965/1977

Hogwild

Houston Nutt final two seasons before he was run off, his teams won 11 of 16 SEC games. Ten years later we have a coach who in 4 seasons has a won just 10 of 32 games SEC games.

It is amazing what ten long years, pun intended, can do the the expectations of our program.

hogsanity

Quote from: jkstock04 on September 14, 2017, 03:25:21 pm
One thing that will be argued is it was a different dynamic with the league back then, so you can't compare that to now. Essentially an easier SEC. People even argue that with the Petrino years.

Problem I have with that is that's what people say every season...I've heard it since the Nutt days. "This" is the hardest the SEC has ever been. Truth is it's probably been hard every year for every coach. It's interesting how when Arkansas does have a good year in the conference it's "because the conference was weak then." Well....it also sort of makes common sense if we are winning more conference games the other teams aren't going to be "as good" because we are beating them contributing to their losses.

The SEC is tough, period. When HDn was here the SECE was better, but the Hogs had to play TN, then one of the top SECE teams every year so yea, it is just a tough league.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hogsanity

Quote from: Hogwild on September 14, 2017, 03:32:22 pm
Houston Nutt final two seasons before he was run off, his teams won 11 of 16 SEC games. Ten years later we have a coach who in 4 seasons has a won just 10 of 32 games SEC games.

It is amazing what ten long years, pun intended, can do the the expectations of our program.

What is funny is the fans wanted both HDn and HAtfield gone, yet both won a ton of games.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Hoggie17

Houston I was a little rough with you at times, I am sorry. I wish I could hear some of you corny talk like, 'I called that play"   

wildturkey8

Quote from: Hoggie17 on September 14, 2017, 03:34:56 pm
Houston I was a little rough with you at times, I am sorry. I wish I could hear some of you corny talk like, 'I called that play"   
Bert needs to hand out baseball bats and bring da wood to the Aggies.

WilsonHog

HDN was a better fit for the Arkansas job than Bret has proven to be.

hawgon

Quote from: Wildhog on September 14, 2017, 03:29:23 pm
Yep, he won a lot of games at Wisconsin.

So has everyone else at Whisky.  Look at what Gary Anderson did there and what he is now doing at OSU.  Look at what Paul Chryst did at Pitt and what he is now doing as Wisconsin.  It is clearly the program and not the coach.

Wildhog

Quote from: hawgon on September 14, 2017, 03:39:03 pm
So has everyone else at Whisky.  Look at what Gary Anderson did there and what he is now doing at OSU.  Look at what Paul Chryst did at Pitt and what he is now doing as Wisconsin.  It is clearly the program and not the coach.

I've made that point over and over on here. 
1909/1964/1965/1977

hawgon

Quote from: Wildhog on September 14, 2017, 03:39:54 pm
I've made that point over and over on here.

And it is pretty clear from the records that to the extent coaches do matter at Whisky, that Bielema has been the worst of the lot of the ones since Alvarez.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: WilsonHog on September 14, 2017, 03:37:46 pm

As hard as that is to stomach. It just is.
This is my non-signature signature.

Hoggie17

HDN is only 60. I have thought for the last 2 years he would be a great AD.He bleeds   Razorback Red, He wants a winner and he is able to hype things. Remember how he movitated our players. Now I am ducking for cover.

factchecker

Quote from: Hoggie17 on September 14, 2017, 03:44:46 pm
HDN is only 60. I have thought for the last 2 years he would be a great AD.He bleeds   Razorback Red, He wants a winner and he is able to hype things. Remember how he movitated our players. Now I am ducking for cover.

Nutt bleeds Cowboy Orange.  He is not a Razorback.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Hoggie17

Quote from: factchecker on September 14, 2017, 03:46:22 pm
He may have turned Cowboy Orange but when my wife worked at the Arkansas school for the deaf he and his dad were Razorback Red.

hogsanity

Like all coaches, most people in general really, HDN bleeds green, CASH $$$$$ green.

idochog

HDN wins were against a much weaker SEC west.

HDN may have pulled a few upsets but he would frequently lose games in the SEC that were very winnable. 

Im no Fan of Nutt and I don't see any way Nutt could help this program.  He had his time and it done and over: GOOD RIDDANCE.

I love Jesus!

Hoggie17

Quote from: idochog on September 14, 2017, 03:51:02 pm
HDN wins were against a much weaker SEC west.

HDN may have pulled a few upsets but he would frequently lose games in the SEC that were very winnable. 

Im no Fan of Nutt and I don't see any way Nutt could help this program.  He had his time and it done and over: GOOD RIDDANCE.
I am pretty sure that is the feelings of most Hog fans.

bphi11ips

Quote from: hogsanity on September 14, 2017, 03:34:10 pm
What is funny is the fans wanted both HDn and HAtfield gone, yet both won a ton of games.

Not that many fans wanted Hatfield gone.  His skin was too thin to hear a few boos.  And those who wanted him gone weren't unhappy with his record.  They didn't like what they perceived to be his offense.

A large majority of fans wanted Nutt gone, and it had nothing to do with his record, which was no where nearly as good as Hatfield's.

You know this, so stop making stuff up.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: WilsonHog on September 14, 2017, 03:37:46 pm

True.  Whatever else might be said about Nutt, he was definitely passionate about coaching at Arkansas.

Still, the situation in the league that Nutt faced is considerably different than the situation that Bielema faces. 
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

bphi11ips

This is utter BS.  I don't like him but I sold Cokes with the guy at WMS.  He is as big of a Razorbacks fan in his heart as you are.

hawgon

Well, with the exception of Alabama and possibly LSU, the league is as ripe for the picking this year as it has been since the 90s. 

Hoggie17

Quote from: bphi11ips on September 14, 2017, 03:56:28 pm
This is utter BS.  I don't like him but I sold Cokes with the guy at WMS.  He is as big of a Razorbacks fan in his heart as you are.
My wife worked with his dad, the whole family loved the hogs.

Calling All Hogs

I am old enough to remember 2007 when 8 wins was not considered an amazingly good season.

factchecker

Quote from: bphi11ips on September 14, 2017, 03:56:28 pm

So much so that he quit the team to play for Oklahoma State.  He's such a big fan that he embarrassed The University of Arkansas and the Razorbacks with the Mustain situation, Code Red, Mr. Interception King emails, and the golden handcuffs.

Great fan.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: hawgon on September 14, 2017, 03:58:36 pm
Well, with the exception of Alabama and possibly LSU, the league is as ripe for the picking this year as it has been since the 90s. 

This is tantamount to saying, "anyone could finish third."
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

hogsanity

Quote from: bphi11ips on September 14, 2017, 03:52:52 pm
Not that many fans wanted Hatfield gone.  His skin was too thin to hear a few boos.  And those who wanted him gone weren't unhappy with his record.  They didn't like what they perceived to be his offense.

A large majority of fans wanted Nutt gone, and it had nothing to do with his record, which was no where nearly as good as Hatfield's.

You know this, so stop making stuff up.

That ANY fans wanted him gone just shows Clay Travis, even though maybe not even born yet, ranked our fans too low on the stupid meter. 48 wins over 5 seasons, when seasons were only 11 games long unless you played at Hawaii, which the Hogs did once, and poor little fans didn't like his offense. We needs to see that thar piggy skin in the airways otherwisins weuns just bored. Dumb, simply dumb.

longtimeHogfan

Bret is a likeable average coach.

Hootie was an unlikeable average coach. 

The rub on Ken H was it took  him two hours to get to the stadium because he refused to pass.  Nice guy, likeable, good record, didn't enjoy having to play the political part of the job. 
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

Hoggie17

Quote from: hogsanity on September 14, 2017, 04:01:00 pm
That ANY fans wanted him gone just shows Clay Travis, even though maybe not even born yet, ranked our fans too low on the stupid meter. 48 wins over 5 seasons, when seasons were only 11 games long unless you played at Hawaii, which the Hogs did once, and poor little fans didn't like his offense. We needs to see that thar piggy skin in the airways otherwisins weuns just bored. Dumb, simply dumb.
Karma, Now we have Long and Bielema.

lakecityhog

Take out the 5-6 and the 4-7 years and change them to just 6-6 and 7-5 and I am on board completely.
I believe that a losing record season should be an anomaly, key injuries or something like that. Win 3 of 4 OOC games and 3 SEC games and you have a 6-6 season and we should do that every year.

As far as the SEC being weaker-- 98 NC Tenner      03 NC LSU      06 NC Fla    08 NC Fla
So things were pretty salty back then too.

I agree 100% Nutt's 10 year tenure should be our baseline expectation for our team.

Hoggie17

The SEC won a NC Nutts first year.  We were the best football conference in the country. It seemed easier because Nutt was better coach  than what we have now.

lakecityhog

By the way, KUDOS to 87017!!!
This surely puts some things in perspective for most fans.

If Nutt was an average or a terrible coach shouldn't we at least expect his level of coaching from our current and future coaches?

And PLEASE don't come on here and say "yea, but HDN rode the coattails of 2 or 3 great players for his success"!!! EVERY coach rises and falls with the players on his team, Saban, Meyer, Nutt, Petrino and BB. Find em, recruit em and coach em up!!!

Tejano Jawg

Interesting to think about—this thread. Nutt's time at Arkansas sure had its twists and turns.

Starting with the team he inherited when he come to town. The best one a coach could ever want to be handed, next to Holtz' first team. Then the undefeated run that stopped on a freak play. Was the moment before that the high-water mark?

Then the decline. Then Matt Jones (with Cedric Cobbs for part of that time). The win in Austin, one of the best ever. A win in Alabama. Followed by the famous O for October. A bowl win. Then another decline. During this time, the losses were mostly of the heartbreaker variety. Wasn't thinking about our "head coach" necessarily.

The "cloud" and the 2 year pass for the 2 losing seasons. Then came Darren McFadden and Felix Jones. Their sophomore year hope was as high as ever. The first year—since being a student—I bought season tickets. But in this time period the madness started. Ego vs Mitch Mustain, Gus and Reggie. Soon Nutt's time was done.

Yes, the highs and lows were so extreme. I remember the shock and disbelief after losing to Kentucky AT HOME in 2007. And then to Auburn, back when we had no business losing to them. And I remember every detail in the room—with my sons and my next-door neighbor who happened to come by—when we upset No. 1 LSU. The biggest contrast to me from then to now—back then, things weren't boring, now they kinda are.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

bphi11ips

Quote from: hogsanity on September 14, 2017, 04:01:00 pm

Like I said, not many fans wanted him gone. He got upset when he heard boos at the Texas game in LR when we lost at the last second. He left on his own because he heard grumbling about his offense, but mostly because Frank Broyles wanted him to make changes he wasn't willing to make. Imagine what he would do in today's world where fans post all manner of negative BS in social media.

Razorbacks fans didn't want Hatfield gone. Nutt is another story.

Tusks

Quote from: bphi11ips on September 14, 2017, 04:53:21 pm
Like I said, not many fans wanted him gone. He got upset when he heard boos at the Texas game in LR when we lost at the last second. He left on his own because he heard grumbling about his offense, but mostly because Frank Broyles wanted him to make changes he wasn't willing to make. Imagine what he would do in today's world where fans post all manner of negative BS in social media.

Razorbacks fans didn't want Hatfield gone. Nutt is another story.

The treatment KH got at Clemson was much more what everyday fans at most all programs are like.  They really didn't like his offense.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit