Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Official I was wrong about David Williams Thread

Started by tbhogfan, September 14, 2017, 02:47:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

tbhogfan

David was one of the few bright spots in the TCU game for me.  He showed maturity and ran extremely well.

I originally thought that he was a runner who got stuffed at the line a lot and then got off the occasional good run, and have expressed this opinion on Hogville.  I was wrong.

I'll have my crow with sauteed mushrooms, a side salad and a sweet tea.
Go Hogs!

MemphisBossHog

I really didn't know much about him but from what I saw, he needs to get the bulk of the carries going forward until Whaley shows he should.  DWilliams looked really good.  He got chunks of yards in bunches and wanted more.  He is big enough to be able to handle the SEC workload.  He was impressive.

Wildhog

I was critical after watching some of his games from USCe, but he's definitely looked good here.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Switchback

I saw a couple of runs where the other two backs missed either a cutback lane or the hole altogether.  Williams showed the best vision and always seemed to gain a couple extra yards after contact.  His experience showed. 

SpaCityHawg

Are any of our backs getting enough carries to get in a groove?

pa_rob424

I don't think they're getting enough to get into a groove. If your one series before you get subbed out for the next guy results in a 3 yd run and 2 incomplete passes, you can't build any momentum or confidence even. Whoever our #1 guy is, play him until he needs a breather and then sub out. I hate this , "Devwah gets the first series, David gets the second, and Chase gets the third, after that we'll see who has the hot hand" crap. How do you know who has the hot hand of you're switching that often. By the time a guy gets warm he's right back on the bench. Pick a horse and ride him!

thebignasty

He's exceeded my expectations in that I didn't have any and he's looked pretty good in his opportunities so far.

SpaCityHawg

Quote from: pa_rob424 on September 14, 2017, 04:37:56 pm
I don't think they're getting enough to get into a groove. If your one series before you get subbed out for the next guy results in a 3 yd run and 2 incomplete passes, you can't build any momentum or confidence even. Whoever our #1 guy is, play him until he needs a breather and then sub out. I hate this , "Devwah gets the first series, David gets the second, and Chase gets the third, after that we'll see who has the hot hand" crap. How do you know who has the hot hand of you're switching that often. By the time a guy gets warm he's right back on the bench. Pick a horse and ride him!

That was my feeling as well, I don't have a problem with rotating backs but, maybe not every couple plays. I'm only a fan so what do I know, not much. Just love my Hogs!

The Anti-Longhorn

D. Williams needs the bulk of the carries.  That was one of many of my complaints from Saturday.  He was obviously having the most success, but he did not get enough touches.  Inexcusable.
Go Hogs!

PorkSoda

he is definitely looking like our #1 back right now.  Whaley had some good runs too, but DW has been the most consistent runner thus far.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: The Anti-Longhorn on September 14, 2017, 05:16:31 pm
D. Williams needs the bulk of the carries.  That was one of many of my complaints from Saturday.  He was obviously having the most success, but he did not get enough touches.  Inexcusable.

Yes they should have feed him the Rock!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

LRHawg

Quote from: SpaCityHawg on September 14, 2017, 04:33:44 pm
Are any of our backs getting enough carries to get in a groove?

We didn't run enough offensive plays for that to happen. 3 and outs will do that to you.

Hogusta National

Personally, I don't see any distinction between Whaley and Williams.  I see comments above stating that Williams looked so good.  My memory shows me that Whaley's runs were between the tackles and Williams runs were mostly outside - not always, but mostly.  There is nothing wrong with Whaley - he will be fine.  I'm just glad that we also have Williams and that we will hopefully see more Hayden (as, again, we have been 'promised').

Switchback

There will be games where a different back will be the hot hand.  I was glad to see that Williams is a good down hill runner. 

sickboy

Quote from: Switchback on September 15, 2017, 04:48:30 pm
There will be games where a different back will be the hot hand.  I was glad to see that Williams is a good down hill runner. 

Yeah, all three are very capable. We just need our passing game to open the run.

HogsonHicks

It's a "what have you done for me lately" mindset on our RB preferences.  Last week it was all about Hayden being the #1. 

Porkchop#1

Quote from: HogsonHicks on September 15, 2017, 07:42:31 pm
It's a "what have you done for me lately" mindset on our RB preferences.  Last week it was all about Hayden being the #1.
And he might have been again this week, but alas, he only got a couple of carries.