Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Why the Hogs are in a tailspin - and can they pull out?

Started by Biggus Piggus, September 14, 2017, 02:40:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Boarcephus

Quote from: IronHog on September 14, 2017, 06:38:13 pm
Not fear.....respect

Respect of the fact you do what the man says and you can win.

And a lack of drama.  You earned your spot under BP you were rewarded on the field.  Players love that.

I agree with that but fear also played into it.  Who was the badass DL from Georgia who hurt one of our players in practice and Petrino almost strung him up in practice.  Drawing blanks on his name but he was either partially deaf or half blind, one of the two.  Kicked him off the field.  He said he was scared to death of that man. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

hogcard1964

Quote from: rhames on September 14, 2017, 03:02:53 pm

The games were nothing alike.

They were both disappointing losses in which the Hog offense failed to show up for.

rhames

Quote from: hogcard1964 on September 14, 2017, 06:48:12 pm
They were both disappointing losses in which the Hog offense failed to show up for.

While I agree on the loses didn't we put up like 450 yards against toledo?
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

Hogs-n-Roses

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on September 14, 2017, 02:40:19 pm
The TCU game was a complete cluster that no one should call "anticipated" or "a good loss." We may never know how Arkansas matched up against the Horned Frogs, because the offensive/special teams player rotations were so poorly executed. One thing is certain: The groupings this coaching staff sent out there were overmatched.

It's always something with Bret Bielema's teams. In 2014, the Hogs played close with Auburn for a half, then collapsed in misery; blew the lead vs. A&M; didn't show up for the first half vs. Georgia in LR; blew the Missouri game because of Bielema's refusal to play the backup QB.

In 2015, Arkansas scored 12 friggin' points and lost to Toledo in LR; got shelled by Texas Tech at home; and blew another A&M game.

In 2016, the Razorbacks had a real chance against the Aggies and got stoned over and over in the red zone; didn't even show up for Auburn; and absolutely wasted sure wins in the Missouri and Va Tech games.

Already in 2017, we have a 7-point showing in our home opener against TCU.

Ordinarily, my concern would be whether this coaching staff can ever assemble enough talent to make a smooth run through the schedule - prepared well for each game, no glaring holes, no impossible matchups.

Now I'm worried that this coaching staff is incapable of putting any assemblage of talent on a consistent path. We have seen too many "WTHF" moments in the past few games -- one absolutely must have serious concerns about what is going on inside the team. That should not even be up for debate.

I am not looking for an explanation of what happened in TCU preparation and game execution. No answer would be good enough. All I want to know is what comes next. Does the AED bring the Hogs back to life? Or are they already dead?

The chain of events (which should include that lackluster game against FA&M) suggests that we are on the verge of a disastrous football season. Last Saturday revealed a complete failure of leadership in two phases of the game. I could blame Bret Bielema in one way -- he is not adding enough to his own team. Bielema has delegated too much, so he has too little control when the team needs it. If the head coach must rush in and make changes after a collapse, his failure began with allowing problems to build without intervention.

This bastardized way Bielema assembled his coaching staff is a major part of the problem. These offensive assistants do not naturally fit together. Kurt Anderson does not fit with Dan Enos's style. The RB coach does not fit Bielema's style. The WR coach is caught in a tug-of-war between Bielema and Enos. And who knows how well the TE coach fits, coaching-wise. The TEs also seem to be pulled between styles, leaving shortcomings in blocking and receiving.

Arkansas's got to decide what kind of offense this is going to be. "Pro-style" is just a label. In preparation, the offense has been unfocused, trying foolishly to bring everything along as the season unfolds. "Peak at the right time." Way too many moving parts this time around. Just because you have a senior quarterback doesn't mean the rest of the roster can handle the complexity.

We're at the moment of "wretched underuse of available resources." Last Saturday was an organizational disaster. The player rotation favored experience, but that did not result in fewer mistakes, or greater efficiency, or anything good whatsoever. You had pluggers getting beaten by a better-prepared opponent that was more talented because Arkansas chose to be less talented than it could have been.

This reminds me of the 2001 season, when Arkansas started 1-3 and should have been 0-4, shifted to panic mode and got the best talent onto the field regardless of experience. Sometimes, the philosophy of slowly working new players into the lineup predestines failure. If the developmental players do not develop, they are not going to magically rise up in games.

It is ridiculous that Reggie Mitchell - not Enos or Bielema - had authority over the running back rotation. Who in blue blazes came up with that idea? It is freaking insane. Bielema was beside himself after the game, being unable to explain the RB rotation against the Frogs. So who decides which WRs and TEs play? Do you think Bobby Petrino ever ceded player-rotation control to anybody? Holy crap.

Authority on this team has been too diffuse. Bielema does not have enough control of anything. His only chance is to retake some control of his team, so he's in a position to do something when it needs to be done. Right now, he's a grossly overpaid bystander, wondering WTHF with the rest of us.
I get all your points and angles. The running back area you've touched on is past stupid. With that said, I am of the mind set of a much more general nature. How in the heck after 5 years and you putting this talent together yourself could there be any of these issues.The whole football team is in disarray.  Put very simply, we are to easy to beat.

bphi11ips

Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

bvillepig

Quote from: WilsonHog on September 14, 2017, 03:09:26 pm
Last year we heard that there were problems inside the team that couldn't be fixed until after the season ended. Looks like now that has been extended to games.

It's not like Enos or Mitchell are holed up in a cave somewhere. Were I Bielema, at some point during the game last Saturday I would have said something like, "Can one of you sumbitches explain to me why the SEC freshman of the week has touched the ball twice, and why we're only using TJ Hammonds as a decoy?"

I love it and well said. Might add why hasn't Jones touched the ball some on some quick slants.

Oklahawg

Trying to back-build the logic here.

You are a CEO-type coach who learned that by coaching under and playing under CEO-type coaches. You talk through the plan but what if the plan doesn't materialize on Saturday. When do you step in?

Answer: if not before, NOW.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

hawgon

Quote from: Oklahawg on September 14, 2017, 10:09:49 pm
Trying to back-build the logic here.

You are a CEO-type coach who learned that by coaching under and playing under CEO-type coaches. You talk through the plan but what if the plan doesn't materialize on Saturday. When do you step in?

Answer: if not before, NOW.

Well, what if you're not enough of a details man to be able to effectively step in?

WilsonHog

I have no problem with a CEO-type coach. Frank Broyles was one. The difference is that JFB hired guys like Johnny Majors, Barry Switzer, Jimmy Johnson, Jim Mackenzie, etc.

Bret's staff looks like the island of misfit toys.

ChicoHog

Quote from: IronHog on September 14, 2017, 03:27:23 pm

Wrong

He plays favorites and runs off minor problems instead of fixing them
I may agree with a lot in this thread but I have never seen nor heard of him running off a minor problem and I think he will play the guys who he thinks give best chance to win.  All coaches want to win. 

hawgon

Quote from: ChicoHog on September 15, 2017, 01:01:10 am
I may agree with a lot in this thread but I have never seen nor heard of him running off a minor problem and I think he will play the guys who he thinks give best chance to win.  All coaches want to win.

The guy who was kicked off the team for missing a lab that the professor had told them was. It mandatory comes to mind

threeNout

Didn't CBB "take over" the defense after a bad showing last year, we looked better for one game, then things went back to the way they were?

threeNout

The TCU game was a complete cluster that no one should call "anticipated" or "a good loss." We may never know how Arkansas matched up against the Horned Frogs, because the offensive/special teams player rotations were so poorly executed. One thing is certain: The groupings this coaching staff sent out there were overmatched.

It's always something with Bret Bielema's teams. In 2014, the Hogs played close with Auburn for a half, then collapsed in misery; blew the lead vs. A&M; didn't show up for the first half vs. Georgia in LR; blew the Missouri game because of Bielema's refusal to play the backup QB.

In 2015, Arkansas scored 12 friggin' points and lost to Toledo in LR; got shelled by Texas Tech at home; and blew another A&M game.

In 2016, the Razorbacks had a real chance against the Aggies and got stoned over and over in the red zone; didn't even show up for Auburn; and absolutely wasted sure wins in the Missouri and Va Tech games.

Ordinarily, my concern would be whether this coaching staff can ever assemble enough talent to make a smooth run through the schedule - prepared well for each game, no glaring holes, no impossible matchups.

Now I'm worried that this coaching staff is incapable of putting any assemblage of talent on a consistent path. We have seen too many "WTHF" moments in the past few games -- one absolutely must have serious concerns about what is going on inside the team. That should not even be up for debate.

I am not looking for an explanation of what happened in TCU preparation and game execution. No answer would be good enough. All I want to know is what comes next. Does the AED bring the Hogs back to life? Or are they already dead?

The chain of events (which should include that lackluster game against FA&M) suggests that we are on the verge of a disastrous football season. Last Saturday revealed a complete failure of leadership in two phases of the game. I could blame Bret Bielema in one way -- he is not adding enough to his own team. Bielema has delegated too much, so he has too little control when the team needs it. If the head coach must rush in and make changes after a collapse, his failure began with allowing problems to build without intervention.

This bastardized way Bielema assembled his coaching staff is a major part of the problem. These offensive assistants do not naturally fit together. Kurt Anderson does not fit with Dan Enos's style. The RB coach does not fit Bielema's style. The WR coach is caught in a tug-of-war between Bielema and Enos. And who knows how well the TE coach fits, coaching-wise. The TEs also seem to be pulled between styles, leaving shortcomings in blocking and receiving.

Arkansas's got to decide what kind of offense this is going to be. "Pro-style" is just a label. In preparation, the offense has been unfocused, trying foolishly to bring everything along as the season unfolds. "Peak at the right time." Way too many moving parts this time around. Just because you have a senior quarterback doesn't mean the rest of the roster can handle the complexity.

We're at the moment of "wretched underuse of available resources." Last Saturday was an organizational disaster. The player rotation favored experience, but that did not result in fewer mistakes, or greater efficiency, or anything good whatsoever. You had pluggers getting beaten by a better-prepared opponent that was more talented because Arkansas chose to be less talented than it could have been.

This reminds me of the 2001 season, when Arkansas started 1-3 and should have been 0-4, shifted to panic mode and got the best talent onto the field regardless of experience. Sometimes, the philosophy of slowly working new players into the lineup predestines failure. If the developmental players do not develop, they are not going to magically rise up in games.

It is ridiculous that Reggie Mitchell - not Enos or Bielema - had authority over the running back rotation. Who in blue blazes came up with that idea? It is freaking insane. Bielema was beside himself after the game, being unable to explain the RB rotation against the Frogs. So who decides which WRs and TEs play? Do you think Bobby Petrino ever ceded player-rotation control to anybody? Holy crap.

Authority on this team has been too diffuse. Bielema does not have enough control of anything. His only chance is to retake some control of his team, so he's in a position to do something when it needs to be done. Right now, he's a grossly overpaid bystander, wondering WTHF with the rest of us.

always enjoy your posts and opinions Bigs

I'll add that we don't play like Razorbacks, but what's worse is I don't think we have anyone on staff who knows what that means.

scrappy and tenacious, we are not.

IronHog

Quote from: ChicoHog on September 15, 2017, 01:01:10 am

There have been multiple players labled "bad" that were either demoted to 9th string or flat railroaded out of the program.  No arrests and eligible kids for the most part.

IMO BB has a serious issue relating to players from less fortunate backgrounds that may need more guidance......
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

Redhogs

Excellent..and probably only scratches the surface.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

Redhogs

Quote from: Boarcephus on September 14, 2017, 06:43:22 pm
I agree with that but fear also played into it.  Who was the badass DL from Georgia who hurt one of our players in practice and Petrino almost strung him up in practice.  Drawing blanks on his name but he was either partially deaf or half blind, one of the two.  Kicked him off the field.  He said he was scared to death of that man.
And that's not a bad thing. When used CORRECTLY fear can be a very useful tool.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

DeltaBoy

Recruiting Whiffs and being unable to redshirt O line men.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hogcard1964

They're in a tailspin because of coaching.  We have what could be the best offensive attack in the SEC... if used properly.  If I had to gauge our backs, I'd say we have three of the top 8-10 backs in the league in Whaley, Williams and Hayden and who was at one time, far and away, the best QB in the league in Allen.  Not sure what's happened to him.  We've forgotten about our ground and pound game and have ignored our tight ends.  We also need to start stretching the field more when needed.  Williams was our most effective back while he was in that game last week, and then he went un noticed.

Yes we can pull out of it and I think we will albeit very little once again.  I think we'll win our next three games-(Texas A & M, New Mexico St and South Carolina) and I still see us getting to 7 wins again.

Layman's terms: SSDD

lather, rinse, repeat

Boarcephus

Quote from: Redhogs on September 15, 2017, 08:15:01 am
And that's not a bad thing. When used CORRECTLY fear can be a very useful tool.

Finally came to me and the player was Malcolm Sheppard.  Petrino is 5'8-5'9", 160 and he won't be the crap out of anyone but so is Saban.  There is no doubt who is in charge.  BB found out quickly he's in over his head.  Helluva nice guy, fun to listen to but is heading the wrong direction here. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

jgphillips3

The next three games write the story.  We have an A&M team that has collapsed on itself even faster than us and is very beatable despite having more talent (essentially the way TCU saw us).  We have what is supposed to be a gimme in the NMState game, but they can score.  Then we have South Carolina.  At this moment, we have the combination of potential talent on field and stars aligning on Sumlin's demise to go 3-0 or 2-1 at worst.  However, as absolutely pathetic and inconsistent as we have been, it could just as easily be 1-2 or 0-3.  The former gives CBB a chance to survive.  The latter gets the negotiated buyout going.  In one month we'll know exactly where this program stands.  Then Alabama will rape our skulls and it will be time for Halloween...but still...

jst01

Quote from: jgphillips3 on September 15, 2017, 08:52:55 am
The next three games write the story.  We have an A&M team that has collapsed on itself even faster than us and is very beatable despite having more talent (essentially the way TCU saw us).  We have what is supposed to be a gimme in the NMState game, but they can score.  Then we have South Carolina.  At this moment, we have the combination of potential talent on field and stars aligning on Sumlin's demise to go 3-0 or 2-1 at worst.  However, as absolutely pathetic and inconsistent as we have been, it could just as easily be 1-2 or 0-3.  The former gives CBB a chance to survive.  The latter gets the negotiated buyout going.  In one month we'll know exactly where this program stands.  Then Alabama will rape our skulls and it will be time for Halloween...but still...

haha very true. I seriously think A&M is the only legit chance of an SEC win this team has until the Miss St. game at home on Nov 18th.

snoblind

Quote from: WilsonHog on September 14, 2017, 10:41:53 pm
I have no problem with a CEO-type coach. Frank Broyles was one. The difference is that JFB hired guys like Johnny Majors, Barry Switzer, Jimmy Johnson, Jim Mackenzie, etc.

Bret's staff looks like the island of misfit toys.

Two other differences.  Can't recall the coach but in an article after Frank's death one talked being assigned a position he had never coached before.  Frank personally teaches him the fundamentals/techniques.  Frank could do that for every position on the team. 

Second, Frank was responsible for innovations to the GA Tech offense when he was there.

Pigsknuckles

September 15, 2017, 09:55:51 am #72 Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 10:19:14 am by Pigsknuckles
Here is another scab to pick at. In 2015 with Miss State at DWRRS, CBB took the ball out of the hands of an offense that was moving the ball, and wasted three downs, towards the end of regulation, to center the ball in the field. Then, he put the game on the line with a FG unit that had been blocked the previous week against OM. Of course, the 29 yard attempt by Hedlund was blocked, and MS runs out the clock. That game brought my black darksider shirt out of the closet.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

Porkette

I'm kind of puzzled over what seems to be the mental attitude of Bielema's teams, last year and this year. We keep hearing about how he's great at molding young men, and maybe he is more strict than many about going to class and such, but something is just "off" with them as we see them during games. They seem to quit at the slightest adversity instead of being defined by fight, and there doesn't seem to be much team leadership. They just always seem flat.  I realize this is all perception, but it is certainly how they come across in games, and seems to contradict what CBB is supposed to be best at. Maybe it's simply the frustration coming through when things are going badly and they have no answers.  But very weird that a funk would carry over through an entire offseason.
GO HOGS GO!

IronHog

Quote from: Boarcephus on September 15, 2017, 08:44:10 am
Finally came to me and the player was Malcolm Sheppard.  Petrino is 5'8-5'9", 160 and he won't be the crap out of anyone but so is Saban.  There is no doubt who is in charge.  BB found out quickly he's in over his head.  Helluva nice guy, fun to listen to but is heading the wrong direction here. 

BB is just a bad fit at Arkansas.  He's burned out.

These people wanting to go full darksider are wrong.  Let it play out.

hogcard1964

Quote from: Porkette on September 15, 2017, 10:24:55 am
I'm kind of puzzled over what seems to be the mental attitude of Bielema's teams, last year and this year. We keep hearing about how he's great at molding young men, and maybe he is more strict than many about going to class and such, but something is just "off" with them as we see them during games. They seem to quit at the slightest adversity instead of being defined by fight, and there doesn't seem to be much team leadership. They just always seem flat.  I realize this is all perception, but it is certainly how they come across in games, and seems to contradict what CBB is supposed to be best at. Maybe it's simply the frustration coming through when things are going badly and they have no answers.  But very weird that a funk would carry over through an entire offseason.

IMO, it started last season during the Auburn game.  They came out before the game and disrespected Auburn at midfield of their stadium-(real classy move there guys), and then proceeded to get their teeth extracted and handed back to them.  There were Arkansas defensive backs that were literally jogging after wide receivers during that game.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on September 14, 2017, 03:47:30 pm
You might be that pessimistic, but nobody should say it was an acceptable outcome based on the available players. Never. But please, tell us about all those times you were overly pessimistic, too.
It was not acceptable. That is not what you said though. You said it was not anticipated. A drug-addicted teenager is not acceptable either but you can certainly anticipate trouble in his/her life. This team has mediocre coaching staff that has shown in many, many games (which you list) that it cannot adjust and react to the opponent. It literally falls apart. This team has a lot of inexperienced players getting playing time. Further, it has seasoned players who are not SEC quality. Apparently, not Big 12 quality either (again, goes back to coaching staff and their mediocre recruiting skills). Combine all of that and you get last Saturday's result.

You put words in my mouth and think it is fine. Assign me a label too. If it does not agree with you, then it cannot be right.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

IronHog

Quote from: hogcard1964 on September 15, 2017, 10:54:52 am
IMO, it started last season during the Auburn game.  They came out before the game and disrespected Auburn at midfield of their stadium-(real classy move there guys), and then proceeded to get their teeth extracted and handed back to them.  There were Arkansas defensive backs that were literally jogging after wide receivers during that game.

Big turn around from when Flowers, Spaight, Skipper, Williams etc were out there playing blue collar football for BB......

Porkette

Quote from: IronHog on September 15, 2017, 11:11:26 am

Big turn around from when Flowers, Spaight, Skipper, Williams etc were out there playing blue collar football for BB......

Definitely, that 2014 team lost some heartbreakers but fought hard every game.
GO HOGS GO!

niels_boar

Since we've played mediocre to poor football every September under CBB, I'm open to the allocation and preparation argument.  I hope it's the case for the sake of the rest of the season.
A&M should provide the answer.  If the offense doesn't improve significantly, holes in talent at some positions and inexperience may be more problematic than this theory suggests.
The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time.

farmhawg

Quote from: hawgon on September 14, 2017, 02:56:28 pm
Yo man, control be like all hard and darn.  Bert might have to get to the Broyles Complex early and stay late.
That ain't happening.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!