Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How can you justify this?

Started by Hoggie17, September 14, 2017, 08:25:36 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hog of steele

Quote from: hogcard1964 on September 14, 2017, 10:40:41 am
I'm sorry but Long has a horrible track record of hiring football coaches.  If the board allows him to have any say so, in the next hire, there's a good chance it's going to be another pooch screw.

I don't see it this way. He brought us CBP who had a good record. Then CBB was a good bet that hasn't worked out thus far. I like the moves.

195bc

Quote from: hog of steele on September 14, 2017, 10:19:57 am

CBB is not a terrible coach. He may not be a great coach but he is getting results that are about average for Arkansas. Losing to a ranked team is not unexpected.

You sure about that? I hope you were being sarcastic. Winning percentage while at Arkansas, for the past seven long-tenured coaches:
Bielema - .490 (4+ years)
Petrino - .667 (4 years)
Nutt - .620 (10 years)
Ford - .465 (5 years)
Hatfield - .760 (6 years)
Holtz - .735 (7 years)
Broyles - .708 (19 years)
I think going back to 1958 is long enough to prove you're wrong. Bielema is not a good coach. Second worst winning percentage and probably a poorer recruiter than Ford.

hogcard1964

His last two head football coach hires have been disastrous.  And as good of a coach as Petrino was/is, the fact that he was here at all, started this snowball rolling.

I actually think Long should be fired before Bielema is, if he can't renegotiate this buyout.

Redhogs

Quote from: DoctorSusscrofa on September 14, 2017, 09:55:30 am
Both of those two coaches that "won" were hated by enough people they still get extreme vitriol even today. And neither one won the SEC or played for a Natty. They both got fans griping at them for losing big games. And our next season tanked (losing records) after both left.
Really..don't hear allot of hate for CBP anywhere anymore, especially in Louisville or from his current Heisman award winner. But if it makes you feel better.......
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

Redhogs

September 14, 2017, 10:54:14 am #54 Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 11:18:31 am by Redhogs
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on September 14, 2017, 10:33:49 am
Uh no, that's the problem with the reactionary crowd.
5 years is a pretty slow reaction, don't ya think? With his miserable record he would not even still be employed anywhere else in the SEC at this point....

Dominicanhog

Quote from: 195bc on September 14, 2017, 10:49:27 am
You sure about that? I hope you were being sarcastic. Winning percentage while at Arkansas, for the past seven long-tenured coaches:
Petrino - .667 (4 years)
Nutt - .620 (10 years)
Ford - .465 (5 years)
Holtz - .735 (7 years)
I think going back to 1958 is long enough to prove you're wrong. Bielema is not a good coach. Second worst winning percentage and probably a poorer recruiter than Ford.

Hurts looking at those records.... what could have been...

Dominicanhog

Quote from: Redhogs on September 14, 2017, 10:50:19 am
Really..don't hear allot of hate for CBP anywhere anymore, especially in Louisville or from his current Heisman award winner. But if it makes you feel better.......

Maybe more so from the religious right..

Hoggie17

Quote from: 195bc on September 14, 2017, 10:49:27 am
Petrino - .667 (4 years)
Nutt - .620 (10 years)
Ford - .465 (5 years)
Holtz - .735 (7 years)
Only Ford has a worse record than Bielema, He is below average as a Arkansas Coach.

hog of steele

I get that the raw record looks bad but it does not take the terrible transition into account. You don't have to care about that but I think it matters.

195bc

Quote from: hog of steele on September 14, 2017, 11:06:03 am
I get that the raw record looks bad but it does not take the terrible transition into account. You don't have to care about that but I think it matters.

So Bielema is the only one of that bunch that experienced a "terrible transition?"

hog of steele

Quote from: 195bc on September 14, 2017, 11:10:23 am
So Bielema is the only one of that bunch that experienced a "terrible transition?"

He is the only one to follow smiles

Redhogs

Quote from: hog of steele on September 14, 2017, 11:16:32 am
He is the only one to follow smiles
Good grief...I feel sorry for the guy that follows this loser.

Tusks

sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Redhogs

Quote from: Hoggie17 on September 14, 2017, 11:01:04 am
Only Ford has a worse record than Bielema, He is below average as a Arkansas Coach.
This makes him look good...post his ranking and record in conference play....it ain't nowhere near .500.

oldhog63

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on September 14, 2017, 10:33:49 am
Uh no, that's the problem with the reactionary crowd.
I don't see how you consider 5 years reactionary. I couldn't have been prouder of a team then when they beat LSU to end that ofer streak. I felt for those young men to the point of tears knowing their struggles and hard work for the past two years. Sitting in that miserable weather and never once considered not going or leaving early. But, instead of building on that and breaking through, we have had three years of coach speak and mediocre, uninspired play. It wasn't one game that everyone is complaining about, but a culmination of multiple years of being told one thing and results showing just the opposite. I am firmly in the camp of it is time for something different.

buldozer

There is no way to defending CBB's win/lose record. None. His salary is close enough to every WINNING coach's salary in college football that there is no justification for us to having to endure the embarrassment of a losing program for the last 6 years. None. Why are we paying a loser $4.5M when there are lots of WINNING college football coaches in the $3-7M range? There is no reason other than complacency and JL's stated standard that winning is not everything.

If JL refuses to bounce CBB soon, then JL needs to go with him whenever it ultimately happens!

hog of steele

This is true. There is no quick reaction here. There is a reactionary crowd who is living a bit of "I told you so right now." But they were going to hate whoever wasn't BP anyhow.

I have been all about CBB. I am still hoping he pulls this season out. One loss against a top 25 team isn't shameful. But if he doesn't it is time to move on. I don't think we will be able to do this b/c of the buyout. But 5 years is the time a team should have taken the Identity of its coach in every way.

Tusks

Quote from: hog of steele on September 14, 2017, 11:32:47 am

This is true. There is no quick reaction here. There is a reactionary crowd who is living a bit of "I told you so right now." But they were going to hate whoever wasn't BP anyhow.

I have been all about CBB. I am still hoping he pulls this season out. One loss against a top 25 team isn't shameful. But if he doesn't it is time to move on. I don't think we will be able to do this b/c of the buyout. But 5 years is the time a team should have taken the Identity of its coach in every way.

They have.

Hoggie17

Quote from: hog of steele on September 14, 2017, 11:06:03 am
CBB caused the "terrible" transition to take place he come and dismantled a team that was meant for BP style of play and instead of using what he had on hand. You know it. You just came in here to defend a losing coach, CBB.

Hoggie17

Quote from: hog of steele on September 14, 2017, 11:32:47 am

I don't care who the coach is if he wins.  I am a Hog fan. 

hog of steele

Quote from: tusked on September 14, 2017, 11:35:34 am
They have.

I agree. I have been as pro CBB as anybody. Now I am all about "you have 10 games to show us what you can do." I am afraid that the 5 year plan wasn't well executed.

Hoggie17

Quote from: hog of steele on September 14, 2017, 11:38:44 am
I agree. I have been as pro CBB as anybody. Now I am all about "you have 10 games to show us what you can do." I am afraid that the 5 year plan wasn't well executed.
I don't need 5 more years of losing ball to know CBB is not a fit for Arkansas, enough is enough.

hog of steele

Quote from: Hoggie17 on September 14, 2017, 11:36:13 am
You know it.

This is one of my favorite things people on the internet say. You know what I think? It's a pretty impressive feat to be honest.

The change in style was one part of the bad transition. But I am ok with a change in style a coach has aright to run what he wants to run. And I like CBB's system. I would love it if it worked.

hog of steele

Quote from: Hoggie17 on September 14, 2017, 11:41:22 am
I don't need 5 more years of losing ball to know CBB is not a fit for Arkansas, enough is enough.

I suppose its a good thing for you nobody is suggesting that.

Hoggie17

Quote from: hog of steele on September 14, 2017, 11:42:02 am
This is one of my favorite things people on the internet say. You know what I think? It's a pretty impressive feat to be honest.

The change in style was one part of the bad transition. But I am ok with a change in style a coach has aright to run what he wants to run. And I like CBB's system. I would love it if it worked.
I love any system that works. I loved the wishbone.

hog of steele

Quote from: Hoggie17 on September 14, 2017, 11:43:50 am
I love any system that works. I loved the wishbone.

I wasn't alive for the wishbone. Who ran it best? I will find a video.

Hoggie17

Quote from: hog of steele on September 14, 2017, 11:45:28 am
I wasn't alive for the wishbone. Who ran it best? I will find a video.
My Opinion, Texas.  I thought you were still wet behind the ears

Dominicanhog

Quote from: Hoggie17 on September 14, 2017, 11:46:52 am

I'd go with OU...

rhames

This thread reminds me of last night's south park episode

I also love how the OP has posted in this numerous times but yet hasn't changed the 4.4 billion typo.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

Hoggie17

Hogwild

Quote from: hog of steele on September 14, 2017, 10:34:26 am
Extending the buyout is the only real problem. If we finish this season with 7 or more losses then Long will have a chance to prove his AD credentials. Can he negotiate out of this buyout? Can he pay the buyout and find a credible coach for what is left in the budget? If he can pull that rabbit out of his hat, he will prove to be a great AD.

Yes extending the buyout was a massive mistake.  I don't want to see what Long will pull out of his hat next, if he decides it is time for CBB to go, I hope someone else will run the next coaching search.

Hoggie17

Quote from: Hogwild on September 14, 2017, 11:50:44 am
Yes extending the buyout was a massive mistake.  I don't want to see what Long will pull out of his hat next, if he decides it is time for CBB to go, I hope someone else will run the next coaching search.
You got that right, I don't want another cluster mess with Long in charge of any HC hiring.

Tusks

hog of steele

Quote from: Hoggie17 on September 14, 2017, 11:46:52 am

I am fundamentally apposed to watching a video where texas does anything good.

hog of steele

Quote from: Hogwild on September 14, 2017, 11:50:44 am

IDK why. If Long can bring that buyout down and raise the money for it, doesn't that show us his quality?

HoggyCat

Quote from: Bacon_Bitz on September 14, 2017, 08:40:28 am
I've seen the 14-27 stat a lot. 9 of those losses came in the year 1 reset.
And at least 2 of those shouldn't have been losses. We killed the LSU QB all day with blotzes, knocked him out of the game.  Enter a true freshman qb, behind two replacement OL hat had gotten hurt. Donee blitz him?? No.  We drop into prevent and get torched.  And a fake punt before half against Ms St turned hat game around. We should've went into the locker room with he lead, instead they score twice after that stupid play call right for before halftime.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

Tusks

Quote from: Hoggie17 on September 14, 2017, 11:53:20 am
You got that right, I don't want another cluster mess with Long in charge of any HC hiring.

I don't like the coaches HE has sought out and hired.  They're paper pusher hires, no insight what so ever.

Dave Wannstedt, I lived in Dallas when the cowboys made their run and he replaced Butch Davis as DC.  Always thought he was the weakest of the assistants Jimmy had put together.

Jim Grobe, says it all.

Bret, well again, says it all.

hogcard1964

Quote from: Redhogs on September 14, 2017, 11:23:51 am
This makes him look good...post his ranking and record in conference play....it ain't nowhere near .500.

A lot of folks refuse to accept it, but Bielema will go down as one of the worst coaches to ever coach here.

...well they'll accept it as soon as he's sent packing.  Then it will be "I knew he was a bad hire." or "the next coach will need 3 more years to get us out of this dumpster fire"...

HoggyCat

Quote from: hog of steele on September 14, 2017, 10:45:30 am
I don't see it this way. He brought us CBP who had a good record. Then CBB was a good bet that hasn't worked out thus far. I like the moves.

First off, Carl Johnston (board member at th time) was responsible for getting Petrino.  Long had an agreement with Grobe.

Second, according to a lot on here, Petrino is solely responsible for the mess we're in; so even if Long is responsible for hiring Petrino, he hired the guy who put us in this mess.

Third, and I've said it since day 1 of the Bielema era. His numbers in games where he actually has to coach are horrible. His record versus teams ranked above him is atrocious. He built his numbers playing in a weak conference and against the FAMUs of the world.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

hog of steele

Quote from: HoggyCat on September 14, 2017, 12:15:41 pm
First off, Carl Johnston (board member at th time) was responsible for getting Petrino.  Long had an agreement with Grobe.

Second, according to a lot on here, Petrino is solely responsible for the mess we're in; so even if Long is responsible for hiring Petrino, he hired the guy who put us in this mess.

You have to make up your mind here. Does long get credit/blame or not?

Tusks

Quote from: hog of steele on September 14, 2017, 12:19:59 pm

You have to make up your mind here. Does long get credit/blame or not?

Well he sure as schit gets the blame for firing him.

hog of steele

Quote from: tusked on September 14, 2017, 12:26:28 pm
Well he sure as schit gets the blame for firing him.

I would say credit. But yes. That is on him.

ricepig

Quote from: Hoggie17 on September 14, 2017, 09:29:00 am
And the second highest buyout clause in college football history, you can see Sabin getting buy out like that but with a losing record???

Tied for the 10th with Sumlin, you might try Google before you list your "facts".

http://thespun.com/college-football/the-10-highest-buyouts-in-college-football

Dominicanhog

Quote from: tusked on September 14, 2017, 12:13:50 pm
I don't like the coaches HE has sought out and hired.  They're paper pusher hires, no insight what so ever.

Dave Wannstedt, I lived in Dallas when the cowboys made their run and he replaced Butch Davis as DC.  Always thought he was the weakest of the assistants Jimmy had put together.

Jim Grobe, says it all.

Bret, well again, says it all.

What about Tommy Bowden?  Would be unfair to overlook such glowing resume as his....

Redhogs

Quote from: ricepig on September 14, 2017, 12:43:28 pm
Tied for the 10th with Sumlin, you might try Google before you list your "facts".

http://thespun.com/college-football/the-10-highest-buyouts-in-college-football
That's really just as unforgivable though...but point well taken.

Atlhogfan1

Don't care what Bielema's overall record is so wouldn't try to justify it.  Not how I think this should be evaluated.  Many of those who hold it against never wanted him in the first place.  What does matter are the seasons and results after his recruits began to arrive and it truly became his program.  The losses such as Toledo, TT, AU, Mizzou, VT and TCU.  The oline not being built but rather what seems like patchwork.  Not good and if something seemingly miraculous doesn't happen, he should be gone. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

WOOPIGMAN

You have to fire him now, he should have been fired last season

ricepig

Quote from: Redhogs on September 14, 2017, 01:05:22 pm
That's really just as unforgivable though...but point well taken.

We all agree that it was too one sided, but those above Long signed off on it too. To me that means they aren't on the same time frame as some fans. I've stated what I was told on the number of regular season wins needed to continue on after 2018. I'd say as of right now, it will be hard to reach, but I'll still be attending, I like Razorback football.

texas tush hog

Major Applewhite is making $1.35 million as the first year coach at Houston. After he wins 10 this year that will go up. Jeffie needs to be at his feeding trough before somebody else does.

ricepig

Quote from: texas tush hog on September 14, 2017, 02:17:08 pm
Major Applewhite is making $1.35 million as the first year coach at Houston. After he wins 10 this year that will go up. Jeffie needs to be at his feeding trough before somebody else does.

Nah, the whorn can stay in Texas, with all his problems.