Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Questions from a TCU fan

Started by TCUFAN, September 07, 2017, 11:06:07 am

Previous topic - Next topic

TCUFAN

Hello, didn't come to ruffle any feathers, only wanted to learn some more about your team. I have a few questions about the Hogs.

It's pretty easy for me to read about the stars on your team but who are some under the radar guys I should keep an eye out for? Any Freshmen or RS freshmen I didn't get to see last year who are expected to be big time impact players?

We all know Bielema loves to run the football but y'all can pass it too. How has Austin Allen progressed since last year? What type of Run/Pass split do you think we'll see?

How is your kicking game? TCU's was abysmal last year and we have yet to see if it's improved.

Who is your most explosive player? Not necessarily your work horse (although it may be) but the guy who can take it to the house any time it's touched.

Looking forward to a good game, both teams have a lot they want to prove.

Also, please ignore anything from killerfrogs.com they're a miserable bunch of people.

Bubba's Bruisers

Not saying.  You'll just go tell Patterson all our secrets.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

LRHog

Under the radar - Any wide receivers but Jred. Theyre all pretty new to the team. Also keep your eye out for some of the freshmen linebackers, and I think our freshman DB who's replacing pulley will be damn good, his names Kamren Curl

Allen had a pretty lackluster first game, but hopefully it was a one off due to new WR's and the OLine gelling for that first game. I could see as close as a 55-45 split in running to passing, or as wide as 70-30 depending on how good the running game is going. If we get down early, flip those.

Kicking game looks improved, especially on kick offs, i cant remember the last time we had a guy who could consistently put it out the end zone. Punting looks to be about average. As far as kicking goes, the biggest thing i noticed was our special teams unit looks faster and improved with getting to the guy catching the ball. Field Goals should be about average.

Most explosive player is going to be Chase Hayden or Jordan Jones. Jones can flat out fly. Dont be surprised if one of our plays is simply to send him flying down the side line and burning your corner, or a deep post. Hayden just needs a bit of a hole and he can easily be in your secondary... He can also fly, not quite as fast as jones, but for a RB watch out... if he gets in the secondary he very well may out run your safety, and if he doesnt watch for him to break his ankles.

HawgTrough

You'll have to excuse us. We're still licking our wounds from the 49-7 win last Saturday. It has been a rough week
WPS

Razorbackers

Quote from: TCUFAN on September 07, 2017, 11:06:07 am
Hello, didn't come to ruffle any feathers, only wanted to learn some more about your team. I have a few questions about the Hogs.

It's pretty easy for me to read about the stars on your team but who are some under the radar guys I should keep an eye out for? Any Freshmen or RS freshmen I didn't get to see last year who are expected to be big time impact players?

We all know Bielema loves to run the football but y'all can pass it too. How has Austin Allen progressed since last year? What type of Run/Pass split do you think we'll see?

How is your kicking game? TCU's was abysmal last year and we have yet to see if it's improved.

Who is your most explosive player? Not necessarily your work horse (although it may be) but the guy who can take it to the house any time it's touched.

Also, please ignore anything from killerfrogs.com they're a miserable bunch of people.

Nice try, GARY.

phadedhawg

Quote from: HawgTrough on September 07, 2017, 11:32:27 am
You'll have to excuse us. We're still licking our wounds from the 49-7 win last Saturday. It has been a rough week

hahahahahahahahaha
*gasps*
hahahahahahahahaha

it's hell I tell ya...

greenEGnHAWGS

Hey TCUFAN, I'll mainly say that we seemed to both learn very little about both of our teams this last week as we both played cupcakes and kept things fairly vanilla. But here is what we do know...

...Austin Allen is a great QB that is throwing to a lot of new receivers, so his production potential is more of an unknown.

...our 2nd string RB is a true freshman but has shown some outstanding potential.

...new defensive scheme for us, so that is another big unknown especially against a solid offense.

Those are really the main story lines for us which is unfortunately all we got. We'll learn a lot about our team as you do this Saturday.
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

PorkRinds

September 07, 2017, 11:41:07 am #7 Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 11:56:02 am by PorkRinds
I'd say newcomers to watch are Jeremy Patton at TE, John Nance at WR, and Chase Hayden at RB. Allen had a pretty rough game against FAMU but I feel like he will get better once the rust gets knocked off. I expect a 60/40 run pass mix.  Also, keep an eye on Randy Ramsey at OLB. Hopefully he knocked Hill's d^*+ in the dirt more than once. 

JaketheSnake

Well said!  We seem to have lost a lot of fans over that one.  SumLin is glad he isn't dealing with our situation this week!

Next1_04

We have a winner

31to6

Welcome to the board!

New names on Offense:
The tight ends. We sent another TE to the NFL, so new guys stepping up. Cantrell (blocking TE with good hands), Cheyenne O'Grady (moving into the playmaker role). We signed Jeremy Patton (4*) out of JUCO. Unsure if he will do much this early in the season, but he's a stud.
Chase Hayden is a True FR at RB that looks to be a difference maker. SO Devwah Whaley you saw last year as the #2 behind Rawleigh Williams (who retired from FB as I am sure you know...)

On defense keep an eye on:
Randy Ramsey - lost in our old 4-3, but the new D is basically built for him.
McTelvin Agim - 5* DT/DE. Last year was a hole-plugger. This year the scheme lets him do more.
Kamren Curl - DB. Very talented.

He had a slow start in the opener. We sent the whole starting WR corp to the NFL except one guy who we didn't play much in the opener. I expect him to do just fine. O-Line is much improved which will help him immensely.

We try to pass when we want to and run when we want to. Whatever the defense gives us. Ideally that is more running than passing, but Enos' offense is flexible. This is not a vintage Wisconsin 3-yards and a cloud of dust. Unless, of course, you are gashing them at will with the run at which point why risk too much passing?

KO will be better. More touchbacks.
FG should be better. More experience.
Punt we are replacing a great SR punter, so ???

TJ Hammonds. Utility WR/RB.
Chase Hayden. RB 1b. Change of pace back. True FR out of Memphis.
Maybe Jordan Jones (if not this game, certainly this season). True FR but stupid fast and elusive.

Hahaha... we all have those. A lot of people here are still mourning the devastating 42-point victory from last week and calling for CBB's head in outrage at our 3rd string D allowing them to score after a desperation fake punt from their own 35.

#WPS

AugustaHog

Quote from: PorkRinds on September 07, 2017, 11:41:07 am
I'd say newcomers to watch are Jeremy Patton at TE, John Nance at WR, and Chase Hayden at RB. Allen had a pretty rough game against FAMU but I feel like he will get better once the rust gets knocked off. I expect a 60/4 run pass mix.  Also, keep an eye on Randy Ramsey at OLB. Hopefully he knocked Hill's d^*+ in the dirt more than once.
If the OP doesn't follow the Hogs, he may not know much about Whaley, since we really turned him loose later in the year.  He's our #1 back, but you will see a ton of true FR Hayden and the transfer David Williams.  Whaley will get the bulk of the carries, unless somebody gets the hot hand.  I would also think that if TJ Hammonds is healthy, he could show up in a variety of places (TB, slot receiver, reverses, etc.)  Think less troubled and less hyped Percy Harvin-type player. 

thebignasty

Excellent

PorkRinds

Quote from: AugustaHog on September 07, 2017, 11:54:56 am
If the OP doesn't follow the Hogs, he may not know much about Whaley, since we really turned him loose later in the year.  He's our #1 back, but you will see a ton of true FR Hayden and the transfer David Williams.  Whaley will get the bulk of the carries, unless somebody gets the hot hand.  I would also think that if TJ Hammonds is healthy, he could show up in a variety of places (TB, slot receiver, reverses, etc.)  Think less troubled and less hyped Percy Harvin-type player.

All good points.

Großer Kriegschwein

The surprise factor for TCU is the true Trojan horse.

Whether or not Gary Patterson wears a shirt that he can ACTUALLY tuck in and doesn't start riding up his beer belly like Scotty J from Boogie Nights.
This is my non-signature signature.

Tejano Jawg

Hi TCU FAN. Coming to the game? I hope to see some purple up there.

This was mostly covered above. True freshman RB Chase Hayden looks like a good one. (However, like in the NFL, rookie RBs can really excel...but it takes WRs time to get in the groove.) We have a good receiver corps, but they're all too new still. At some point, someone will emerge, but can't say at this point who it will be. Allen will be solid, but his arm is only half of our passing game.

Something else, and I'm sure Patterson has learned all their numbers—last winter we had the best defensive back recruiting class I've ever seen, and some of them will see more action this week than was originally planned. Like our WR situation, we'll see who steps up.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: LRHog on September 07, 2017, 11:26:47 am
Under the radar - Any wide receivers but Jred. Theyre all pretty new to the team. Also keep your eye out for some of the freshmen linebackers, and I think our freshman DB who's replacing pulley will be damn good, his names Kamren Curl

Allen had a pretty lackluster first game, but hopefully it was a one off due to new WR's and the OLine gelling for that first game. I could see as close as a 55-45 split in running to passing, or as wide as 70-30 depending on how good the running game is going. If we get down early, flip those.

Kicking game looks improved, especially on kick offs, i cant remember the last time we had a guy who could consistently put it out the end zone. Punting looks to be about average. As far as kicking goes, the biggest thing i noticed was our special teams unit looks faster and improved with getting to the guy catching the ball. Field Goals should be about average.

Most explosive player is going to be Chase Hayden or Jordan Jones. Jones can flat out fly. Dont be surprised if one of our plays is simply to send him flying down the side line and burning your corner, or a deep post. Hayden just needs a bit of a hole and he can easily be in your secondary... He can also fly, not quite as fast as jones, but for a RB watch out... if he gets in the secondary he very well may out run your safety, and if he doesnt watch for him to break his ankles.
Why would you give that info away?!
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

rhames

"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

Tejano Jawg

Quote from: rhames on September 07, 2017, 12:06:08 pm

I hope you're being sarcastic.

Of course he isn't. Like everyone knows, Hogville has all the best football minds and strategists in the country. This is where all our head coaches get their insights and game plans from, week to week. What is revealed here sometimes is staggering. If fact, this website shouldn't even exist!
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

Pigasaurus

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on September 07, 2017, 12:19:02 pm
Of course he isn't. Like everyone knows, Hogville has all the best football minds and strategists in the country. This is where all our head coaches get their insights and game plans from, week to week. What is revealed here sometimes is staggering. If fact, this website shouldn't even exist!

Should we even play now?
"If I wanted you to know what I was thinking, I would be talking."  Al Bundy

Carl Lazlo

True freshman blue shirt starting at RG.  Red shirt sophomore first year to start at LT.  Keep an eye on those match ups.  Likely the key to a W or L.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

I wasn't serious people. The fact that I even have to say that says quite a bit about hogville lol
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

JayHog

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on September 07, 2017, 12:19:02 pm

Lolololol. So true!

GunnerHawg70

Welcome TCUFAN to Hogville!!! This is where you can find all things Razorbacks and then some...I hope you got the answers you were inquiring and looking fwd to a great game.  Now that you are armed with the knowledge from the Hogville Faithful, can you do us a favor and reciprocate the unanswered questions for us??? ???

Hello, didn't come to rub any frogs, only wanted to learn some more about your team. I have a few questions about the Horny Toads.

We all know Patterson loves to throw the football and get WR's in space but y'all can run it too. How has Kenny "Trill" Hill  progressed since last year? What type of Run/Pass split do you think we'll see?

How is your kicking game? Hogs was decent last year and it's improved.

Also, please ignore anything from outlandish from Hogville.net they're a rowdy  bunch of people.  ;)

Tejano Jawg

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on September 07, 2017, 12:24:25 pm
I wasn't serious people. The fact that I even have to say that says quite a bit about hogville lol

I know. It's just fun to gab at the omni-present genius that exists on Hogville. If fact, if you can find your way into certain forums on here, there's a map where all our missiles are hidden.  ::)

GuvHog

I didn't think you were serious. I'm sure Patterson already knows everything that's posted in this thread because he likely watched the game Thursday night.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

DLUXHOG

Come on Hog people.... stop, and don't give away any of our secret weapons to the enemy....
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

Next1_04

Ran into the same situation of sorts back during the sugar bowl when a friend and I walked into the dome with the team and watched them warm up before being removed :) I got roasted hard for reveling a play i saw during warm up. geez  :-\

colbs

Jordan Jones is pretty slow don't worry about the deep ball.  Anytime Chase Hayden is in it's a pass play. You really have to watch the Austin with the QB keepers up the middle.   On defense I would not double team Agim. 

GunnerHawg70

Quote from: colbs on September 07, 2017, 01:38:16 pm
Jordan Jones is pretty slow don't worry about the deep ball.  Anytime Chase Hayden is in it's a pass play. You really have to watch the Austin with the QB keepers up the middle.   On defense I would not double team Agim.

Hahahahahaha!!! All true facts!!!  ;)

Tejano Jawg

The first and only reply to the TCU guy should have just been a link to the controversial thread about "all the plays Bielema was holding back vs Florida A&M, and saving for the TCU game."

TCUFAN

Quote from: GunnerHawg70 on September 07, 2017, 12:27:31 pm
Welcome TCUFAN to Hogville!!! This is where you can find all things Razorbacks and then some...I hope you got the answers you were inquiring and looking fwd to a great game.  Now that you are armed with the knowledge from the Hogville Faithful, can you do us a favor and reciprocate the unanswered questions for us??? ???

Sure thing,

Under the radar/freshmen - While TCU returns a number of starters from the offense last year, you're going to see some new faces, especially in the receiving corp. Kennedy Snell scored the first TD of the season for TCU on a play that made ESPN top 10 and Jalen Reagor earned the starting spot at WR as a true freshman. On defense, TCU has a new face at the DT spot that finally brings some weight to that position. Ross Blacklock is a RS Freshman who is 6'4 320 and was disruptive against a week Jackson St. Oline. Interested to see how he matches up against y'all.

Patterson has been very high on Hill throughout camp which is very unusual for Patterson. I'm not on the Hill train yet and he still has a long way to go to earn back the trust from most fans. Co-OC Doug Meachem "left" for Kansas in the off season and Sonny Cumbie has complete control of the offense. We also brought in Sonny Dykes to be an offensive analyst in the off season. From what I understand, There is going to be more of a focus on the run and less substitutions. Last year, we'd go uptempo but kept subbing which sort of defeats the purpose. So look for a much more balanced run/pass offense and it'll probably use more uptempo than we did last year.

Well, Song, our "starter" was hurt last year and that killed us in a few games. He's healthy now but couldn't outright win the starting spot in camp (does a lot for our confidence in him). he was 8/8 on extra points but he hasn't kicked a field goal yet so it's a huge, huge unknown. Our KO kicker did a good job last week putting it in the endzone, however I think he kicked one out of bounds. Basically, our kicking game is somewhere between unknown and unproven.

Turpin is explosive. He's exciting to watch and as long as he's healthy he's a threat to take it to the house whether it's a Punt return, KO return, hand off or reception. We try to get the ball in his hands anyway we can think of.

SDZ_Hog

Quote from: colbs on September 07, 2017, 01:38:16 pm
I would play D for a pass first offense and go really light on the front 7

Mo_Better_Hogs

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on September 07, 2017, 01:42:09 pm
The first and only reply to the TCU guy should have just been a link to the controversial thread about "all the plays Bielema was holding back vs Florida A&M, and saving for the TCU game."

This has turned into a very funny thread. Well done guys. (Don't tell anybody, but, BEAT TCU!)

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: GuvHog on September 07, 2017, 12:38:30 pm
I didn't think you were serious. I'm sure Patterson already knows everything that's posted in this thread because he likely watched the game Thursday night.
Why watch the game when you can just swing by hogville and get a professional synopsis

31to6

Quote from: TCUFAN on September 07, 2017, 01:46:40 pm
Turpin is explosive. He's exciting to watch and as long as he's healthy he's a threat to take it to the house whether it's a Punt return, KO return, hand off or reception. We try to get the ball in his hands anyway we can think of.
Hopefully Turpin gets bored because we refuse to kick to him.

If we kick to him, after what he did at a critical juncture last year, someone should be fired.

SDZ_Hog

Quote from: 31to6 on September 07, 2017, 01:56:57 pm
Hopefully Turpin gets bored because we refuse to kick to him.

If we kick to him, after what he did at a critical juncture last year, someone should be fired.
either kick it out of the end zone or be happy with 35 yard line.

GunnerHawg70

Quote from: TCUFAN on September 07, 2017, 01:46:40 pm
Sure thing,

Under the radar/freshmen - While TCU returns a number of starters from the offense last year, you're going to see some new faces, especially in the receiving corp. Kennedy Snell scored the first TD of the season for TCU on a play that made ESPN top 10 and Jalen Reagor earned the starting spot at WR as a true freshman. On defense, TCU has a new face at the DT spot that finally brings some weight to that position. Ross Blacklock is a RS Freshman who is 6'4 320 and was disruptive against a week Jackson St. Oline. Interested to see how he matches up against y'all.

Patterson has been very high on Hill throughout camp which is very unusual for Patterson. I'm not on the Hill train yet and he still has a long way to go to earn back the trust from most fans. Co-OC Doug Meachem "left" for Kansas in the off season and Sonny Cumbie has complete control of the offense. We also brought in Sonny Dykes to be an offensive analyst in the off season. From what I understand, There is going to be more of a focus on the run and less substitutions. Last year, we'd go uptempo but kept subbing which sort of defeats the purpose. So look for a much more balanced run/pass offense and it'll probably use more uptempo than we did last year.

Well, Song, our "starter" was hurt last year and that killed us in a few games. He's healthy now but couldn't outright win the starting spot in camp (does a lot for our confidence in him). he was 8/8 on extra points but he hasn't kicked a field goal yet so it's a huge, huge unknown. Our KO kicker did a good job last week putting it in the endzone, however I think he kicked one out of bounds. Basically, our kicking game is somewhere between unknown and unproven.

Thanks TCUFAN...very informative and appreciated...The one thing we (Hogville Expert Analysts) know is KEEP THE BALL OUTTA TURPIN'S HANDS AND FRUSTRATE HILL EARLY AND OFTEN!!! 

Good stuff dude!!! :)

longpig

September 07, 2017, 02:32:21 pm #38 Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 03:36:44 pm by longpig

Your horned frog LBs and DBs being reported as smallish but lightning fast, we may see Enos attempt to create mismatches with some of our tightends and larger receivers.  Cantrell, O'grady and Patton at TE and Martin, Nance, Pettway and ofcourse Cornelius at WR.
Don't be scared, be smart.

code red

Long story short....no one knows.  Saturday will tell us a lot.  The team that makes less mistakes will win.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Pork Ranger

BaconAteHer

Watch out for Bigfoot and the Aliens

Next1_04

Quote from: GunnerHawg70 on September 07, 2017, 02:18:45 pm
Thanks TCUFAN...very informative and appreciated...The one thing we (Hogville Expert Analysts) know is KEEP THE BALL OUTTA TURPIN'S HANDS AND FRUSTRATE HILL EARLY AND OFTEN!!! 

Good stuff dude!!! :)

Turpin nearly saved the day for you guys last year on that last kick return. Shifty, Fast, Little Dude right there

GunnerHawg70

Quote from: Next1_04 on September 07, 2017, 02:44:56 pm
Turpin nearly saved the day for you guys last year on that last kick return. Shifty, Fast, Little Dude right there

Whaddya mean "you guys"???  I hope that was meant for TCUFAN... :o

The OTR

Let's not just hand this old boy anything. If he wants to know our secrets such as half time peanut butter sandwiches, the frequent use of smokescreens by our AD, the deep pockets of our athletic department who can pay any buyout at any time because we have the Waltons and Tysons ready to write a check at a moments notice not to mention the strategy and X's and O's discussed at a high level throughout the board...etc. etc...then let him sift around in here for nuggets like other teams' fans do. 

Thanks.

GunnerHawg70

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on September 07, 2017, 02:50:42 pm
Let's not just hand this old boy anything. If he wants to know our secrets such as half time peanut butter sandwiches, the frequent use of smokescreens by our AD, the deep pockets of our athletic department who can pay any buyout at any time because we have the Waltons and Tysons ready to write a check at a moments notice not to mention the strategy and X's and O's discussed at a high level throughout the board...etc. etc...then let him sift around in here for nuggets like other teams' fans do. 

Thanks.

I'm sure WE, The Hogville Expert Analysts, are just appreciating a little of getting to know our competition from a FAN's perspective.  (See below TCUFAN's comments) :D

Sure thing,

Michael_E_Davis

Are you saying everyone is suppose to be thrilled about putting a beat down on a makeshift high school team,  that ran through our offensive line like it was nothing?  Surely you can't be serious.  This Saturday is our first test.
"I struggled through many problems in my life, most of which never happened." -Unknown

Next1_04

Quote from: Michael_E_Davis on September 07, 2017, 03:05:50 pm
Are you saying everyone is suppose to be thrilled about putting a beat down on a makeshift high school team,  that ran through our offensive line like it was nothing?  Surely you can't be serious.  This Saturday is our first test.

I think he was implying most on here basically took it as a loss and couldn't enjoy a win if it fell out of the sky landed on their face and started to wiggle.

Sow Lancelot

D*****! This is why Karma needs to come back.

+1
"Nec vitia nostra nec remedium tolerare possumus." Livy
Nihil boni sine labore, sic vis pacem, para bellum.

BigBrandonAllenFan

It is simple for tcu... stop the Hog's rushing attack, especially in the second half, and you will have a chance to win.  If you can't stop the rush for 4 quarters you are in deep dodo and you will be creamed like a can of Bush's Best corn.