Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Texas A&M vs UCLA and TN vs Ga Tech

Started by HognotinMemphis, September 05, 2017, 01:35:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HognotinMemphis

I was thrilled with the A&M outcome. So funny to watch A&M lose a 34 pt lead that they had in the 2nd half. Good enough for A&M.

I  was not as thrilled with the TN win. I cannot stand TN even if they are SEC. How does a team rush for well over 500 yards and lose the game?
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: HoginMemphis on September 05, 2017, 01:35:04 pm
I was thrilled with the A&M outcome. So funny to watch A&M lose a 34 pt lead that they had in the 2nd half. Good enough for A&M.

I  was not as thrilled with the TN win. I cannot stand TN even if they are SEC. How does a team rush for well over 500 yards and lose the game?

For two reasons:

1.  They played two extra periods.
2.  The triple option offense that GT uses produces next to no passing yards.

Another loss to the ACC by an SEC East team would just get the "ACC is better than the SEC" drumbeats going again.  At least the FSU and GT losses short circuited that for another week.  Now we'll get to see what Auburn can do with Clemson.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

onebadrubi

Watching that tenner game, I never felt tenner was out of it.  You knew however late they weren't going to get a stop without a turnover and they did, then marched like 93 yards in 7 plays. 

DeltaBoy

GT missed 2 FG in the game that would have won it in regulation.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

rljjr

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on September 05, 2017, 01:38:36 pm
For two reasons:

Another loss to the ACC by an SEC East team would just get the "ACC is better than the SEC" drumbeats going again.  At least the FSU and GT losses short circuited that for another week.  Now we'll get to see what Auburn can do with Clemson.

I have to think Clemson is just going to crush them. Stidham wasn't sharp (although that could change) and his receivers couldn't separate from Georgia State's DBs. Of course they get 2 of their 3 suspended players back, but if their O line is as porous against a better defense then Stidham is going to be on his back all night. Won't hurt my feelings. AU Defense is very good again, but can they keep Clemson from scoring?

bphi11ips

Quote from: DeltaBoy on September 05, 2017, 01:44:51 pm
GT missed 2 FG in the game that would have won it in regulation.

And they had two turnovers to Tennessee's zero.

The team that makes the fewest mistakes will win, even when they get outgained by almost 300 yards and have the ball for only 18 minutes. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Potosihog

I said last night in the game thread.  It is typical Georgia Tech football.  They control the whole game, make a few mistakes at the end, and give it away.  Reminds me of some of Nutt's teams where we had great running but almost no passing. 

No doubt GT should have won.  The field goals, the fumble...etc. But they didn't.  And it is not uncommon for that to happen when they play a good team.

Gotta have balance to have a winning team consistently.  We have about as good of balance as I remember in my lifetime as a razorback fan.  If we can just put a solid defense together we might break through.

RME

Quote from: Potosihog on September 05, 2017, 02:28:27 pm
I said last night in the game thread.  It is typical Georgia Tech football.  They control the whole game, make a few mistakes at the end, and give it away.  Reminds me of some of Nutt's teams where we had great running but almost no passing. 

No doubt GT should have won.  The field goals, the fumble...etc. But they didn't.  And it is not uncommon for that to happen when they play a good team.

Gotta have balance to have a winning team consistently.  We have about as good of balance as I remember in my lifetime as a razorback fan.  If we can just put a solid defense together we might break through.

Johnson has 2 seasons below .500 over 9 full seasons at Georgia Tech. He has a lifetime record of 177-88. I'd say those are numbers consistent with winning.

I know I'd take those totals.

NoogaHog

At lunch today, our waiter was a Tennessee fan. He was all excited about the game last night. I'm afraid I offended him when I replied that "if you guys keep playing like that you will have to keep that coach of yours and be mediocre forever."

I sometimes feel like that about Arkansas. I'm a big Coach B fan. I think he is a good guy and is trying to do it the right way. However, I am getting to a point where I want him to succeed spectacularly or fail spectacularly so that it might be clear we need to move on. I'm weary of 6-6 and 7-5. I want to see improvement and not treading water. I want to occasionally make some noise in the conference, not be 4th, 5th, or 6th.

I think Coach B and Coach "Champions of Life" parallel in many ways. Both should be better, but are just not. At least we are not parading a trash can on the sidelines.
Слава Богу - Slava Bogu - "Glory to God"

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: bphi11ips on September 05, 2017, 02:23:11 pm
And they had two turnovers to Tennessee's zero.

The team that makes the fewest mistakes will win, even when they get outgained by almost 300 yards and have the ball for only 18 minutes. 

That and a tiring defense will get you Arkansas' last two games of the previous year. Let's hope the defense is as legit as they appeared, and that the injury bug has finally taken his last bite and get's the heck out of Fayetteville...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

HotlantaHog

For two reasons:

I think the drumbeat for the SEC is it's Alabama on one level and every other team on another level. That has seemed very true the last few years. You have to go back a ways to remember when Florida and LSU (and Tennessee and Auburn) were winning championships... Who realistically thinks any of the teams other than Alabama could end up in the playoffs?

HotlantaHog

Quote from: rljjr on September 05, 2017, 01:54:20 pm
I have to think Clemson is just going to crush them. Stidham wasn't sharp (although that could change) and his receivers couldn't separate from Georgia State's DBs. Of course they get 2 of their 3 suspended players back, but if their O line is as porous against a better defense then Stidham is going to be on his back all night. Won't hurt my feelings. AU Defense is very good again, but can they keep Clemson from scoring?
I think the game is going to be very close. Clemson had huge losses last year at QB, WR and RB on offense and some on defense ... While the warmup game against Kent State was certainly encouraging, they haven't been tested at all.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: HotlantaHog on September 05, 2017, 06:24:50 pm
I think the drumbeat for the SEC is it's Alabama on one level and every other team on another level. That has seemed very true the last few years. You have to go back a ways to remember when Florida and LSU (and Tennessee and Auburn) were winning championships... Who realistically thinks any of the teams other than Alabama could end up in the playoffs?

The Bama argument is the stupidest thing I have ever heard for disparaging a conference. It's Bama and everyone else in the entire friggen world of college football not just the sec.

If Washington can be a playoff team, then there are at least a couple more in the SEC right now.

GuvHog

For two reasons:

South Carolina also beat North Carolina State so the ACC actually went 0-3 against the SEC this past weekend and that quieted the "ACC is better than the SEC" mantra and put a big kink in the ACC's armor.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on September 05, 2017, 06:13:23 pm
That and a tiring defense will get you Arkansas' last two games of the previous year. Let's hope the defense is as legit as they appeared, and that the injury bug has finally taken his last bite and get's the heck out of Fayetteville...
When your program is constantly thin regarding depth, they wear out on defense and they have no "next" players to replace those who are injured. When key positions go down, like Pulley, the team's potential will drop. It is that simple.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

DeltaBoy

Coach said they are rotating the Defense as much as possible to keep folks fresh.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.