Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

9 plus wins

Started by parallaxpig, July 19, 2017, 07:44:57 am

Previous topic - Next topic

EngrHog

Quote from: go hogues on July 19, 2017, 09:35:49 am
But look at our road schedule this year compared to last year.

2017 we are @ South Carolina, Alabama, Ole Miss, and LSU. We lost against Bama and LSU at home last year, so you could consider those a wash this year relative to the home/away schedule. USCe and Ole Miss are unknowns right now, toss up games at worst.

I agree 9 wins is very possible if the defense improves and the offense fixes some of the issues from last year (red zone and pass protection). Also assumes the WR group plays to their potential.
Whether you think you can do something or not, you are probably right

gchamblee

Quote from: hogcard1964 on July 19, 2017, 03:16:53 pm
Yes, it's possible, but it will not happen.

How is your team gonna do this year? You guys expecting to be in the championship game again?

Mike_e

Special teams were better last year but not great.  IF we can continue to improve in this area we should be able to pick up another game in the win column.

The defense is going to play faster, there is no way around it if for no other reason than having to go through fewer decisions before starting.  They should be quicker to get lined up too which will help.  Now if they can get to the right spot faster and tackle when they get there I look to see serious improvement.  This should add another game or game and a half.

The offense should be better able to run the ball.  Getting the big guys down front used to doing what they are asked to do and then being in sync with each other gets them where they're going faster too ie fewer defensive players blowing by them to the qback.  This alone should be worth another game to game and a half.  I expect the rest of  offense to even out with the ups and downs.

So, best case we could be 4 games better in the regular season than we were last year.  Worst case about the same. 

If everything falls in the middle then yes 9 games won in the regular season is doable.
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

RazorWest

Quote from: parallaxpig on July 19, 2017, 07:44:57 am
Do you think 9 or more wins are doable if the defense at least becomes an average
SEC defense? I think it's possible.

Yes if the SEC is as down this year as last year.  If the other teams improve at all and we stay stagnant then we are toast

Peter Porker

Do you think 9 or more wins are doable if the defense at least becomes an average

It was possible last year.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

PLHawg

Quote from: presidenthog on July 19, 2017, 02:49:29 pm
Neither of these are possible.

Yeah, meant 9-4 or 4-8 (obviously with 4 wins we wouldn't qualify for a bowl game).  Think we can have a successful season if AA stays healthy - if he doesn't all bets are off.

tampahog

I really don't think the defense can go anywhere but up so I expect some improvement there though I'm concerned we are adding a 4th linebacker and that has traditionally been our toughest position to recruit and develop.  As for the Offense, I do agree a more experienced O-line and Williams coming in at RB probably offsets the loss of RWIII.  What no one has mentioned in this thread is our losses at TE and WR.  Sprinkle, Hatcher, and Morgan are huge losses in terms of matchup problems and quality possession receivers.  Hatcher had multiple drive saving catches against Ole Miss last year otherwise we may lose that game.  All 3 were huge against TCU as well.  I know we have some talent coming in at WR and TE but I don't see how we don't have some dropoff there.

HamSammich

I have our O-line finishing second in the SEC. Can we win 9? Yep.

Problem is every team outside of Mississippi got better too. Missouri might even be better. I take that back miss st might be salty this year.

I hope I'm wrong but I have us at 7ish wins

redleg

The RB situation will be fine. Whaley will become the next 1,000 yard rusher for Arkansas, while Maleek Williams and David Williams should provide quality depth. Hammonds has moved to WR. Hayden should redshirt, or be relegated to special teams, i.e. kickoff return, until he can build some more muscle mass. As long as there are no serious injuries, three 'backs should be enough, although Hayden and Hammonds will be emergency reserves.
The O-Line only lost one starter from 2016. When that is the case, the starters the next year are usually better and more in sync with each other. Led by Ragnow, the 2017 Line should be even better at opening holes for the RBs, and much better at pass protection. Both will improve the output of the offense, especially considering how good Austin Allen is when he stays clean. The "14 and "15 lines gave up very few sacks, and gave Brandon Allen time to distribute the ball. The "17 Line should be able to do that for Austin Allen as well.
Losing a lot of experienced receivers hurt. But there is a lot of talent in the receiving corps, led by Cornelius. A few of the new guys (Brandon Martin, Jonathan Nance, Koilan Jackson) might need a few games to get up to speed, but the players that have been there for at least one season (Stewart, Pettway, Jones), even if they redshirted, should be able to contribute early. The same should be said for the TEs. I feel that Patton will end up being the receiving threat at TE, but it may take 4-5 games for him to get going. Cantrell and O'Grady must step up.
On defense...what can I say here that probably hasn't already been said? The move to the 3-4 D was a good thing, it fits most of the defenders better than the previous system, there is talent on the team but it hasn't shown through since 2014, Rhoads is a very good and respected DC, the D must get much more pressure on the QB in passing downs, and close running lanes on runs. It's all very basic stuff that the defense in 2016 didn't do.
If the defense overall is better, and the O-Line play overall is better, then YES, Arkansas can win 9 or more games in 2017. If not? Then it'll be another 6-7 win season, and Bielema's seat will be on fire.

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

TNRazorbacker

Quote from: GoHogzzGo on July 19, 2017, 11:14:11 am
Personally? I measure with a yard stick  ;)

Seriously though I see your point.

What I saw toward the end of the year was a slight improvement, and the off season has not impressed me either.

My thought is we lost Skipper, everyone else after Ragnow has not impressed. The depth is not super talented, so until something proves otherwise I see another woeful performance by the line.  Hope I'm wrong. Will see what live bullets show us.

I absolutely agree on the O line. I saw very little improvement the whole of last year and don't see much reason to predict a lot better just on the merit of a few players being a year older. The most troublesome to me was the complete inability to get short yardage on crucial downs. I hated seeing us in short yardage at the goal line in particular. I literally felt more confident when we were taking shots from the 20. We shouldn't have to resort to misdirection and trickery when we have 4 downs inside the 5. Not when your in year 4 and your bread and butter is supposed to b o-line play.

hogcard1964

Quote from: gchamblee on July 19, 2017, 03:30:03 pm
How is your team gonna do this year? You guys expecting to be in the championship game again?

I doubt it.  It's been what..53 seasons?  I'm realistically expecting 6 or 7 wins again.  I have us pegged for 5th, at best 4th place.

HiggiePiggy

9 wins has been doable the last 2 years. We shot ourselves in our feet in many games. This year it is also doable. Our schedule is pretty nice for us this year. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

hawgon

Just curious, which coach is it again who is responsible for special teams?

ricepig

Quote from: hawgon on July 19, 2017, 07:58:27 pm
Just curious, which coach is it again who is responsible for special teams?

Divided amongst the staff.

parallaxpig

Watched replay of Florida game last night. If only we could see that defensive intensity every game. And yes I'm ready for football....
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

BigE_23

Quote from: Peter Porker on July 19, 2017, 03:35:50 pm
It was possible last year.
And the two years before that...

jgphillips3

This team is capable of 9 wins.  It is also capable of 7.  Everything depends on how quickly the defense gels.  That will be the difference between 7, 8 or 9 wins.  Enos will give us a productive offense.