Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jeff Long is emphatic: Arkansas coach Bret Bielema isn’t on the hot seat

Started by MuskogeeHogFan, June 03, 2017, 06:16:25 am

Previous topic - Next topic

MuskogeeHogFan

I think that we all knew that Bielema had at least one more season to begin to win more than 7 or 8 games each season before he would possibly be in danger of being replaced, but Jeff Long sounds as if he isn't just issuing a standard statement of confidence for the benefit of the Press. 

So, is Bielema on — or approaching — the hot seat?

Absolutely not, according to his boss. And this wasn't one of those soft denials that some athletic directors respond with to these questions; Long was emphatic.

"Bret is the leader of our program," Arkansas athletic director Jeff Long told SEC Country during an interview this week at SEC spring meetings. "The leader is more than just winning games — and I know some fans don't wanna hear that. Trust me, it doesn't mean we aren't competing with every fiber of our being to win in the toughest conference and the toughest division of that conference. But when you look at what Bret's doing, we're building a program that's built on an outstanding foundation."

For his part, Bielema said he does not feel like he's under pressure entering 2017. "I understand why people would think that," Bielema said, "but I think our program is in a place where we're extremely healthy."

More inside:

https://www.seccountry.com/arkansas/arkansas-football-bret-bielema-jeff-long
Go Hogs Go!

hawgon

Deep Shoat

All Gas, No Brakes!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: hawgon on June 03, 2017, 07:14:40 am
When it is necessary to say stuff like that....

When asked a question he answered it. He didn't come out at press conference specifically to say what he said. HUGE difference than what you are referring too and you know it.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

ricepig

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on June 03, 2017, 07:21:59 am
When asked a question he answered it. He didn't come out at press conference specifically to say what he said. HUGE difference than what you are referring too and you know it.

Correct, had he evaded the question, can you just imagine the threads started on here about Long avoiding taking a stance, lol.

Poker_hog

I would expect any ad to say this about the current coach. 

For long it's all about the money.  Right now it costs more to get rid of Bert than to keep him.  If the wins don't come soon full blown apathy will set in and revenues will drop.  All the fluff about academics and crime won't matter when the money slows down. 
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: hawgon on June 03, 2017, 07:14:40 am
When it is necessary to say stuff like that....

It's not working. Click those heels together faster, Dorothy!
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

hawgon

Quote from: Hawgar The Horrible on June 03, 2017, 07:49:40 am
It's not working. Click those heels together faster, Dorothy!

This year will have the entire razorback fanbase clicking its heels and wishing bert and Long were somewhere else.

rhames

Saying what a good AD would say.

We all know Bret has 2 years to get the program where he wants it. I hope he succeeds because I don't have the patience for another coach to come in and rebuild
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

The OTR

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on June 03, 2017, 07:21:59 am

True, but if it's a question consistently being asked these days, and I don't know if it is, then Hawgon's point is valid.

There no doubt has to be some pressure at least subtly building given how last season ended.  And yes, baring a total collapse in 2017, BB will be here in 2018 if he wants to be here.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Großer Kriegschwein

I think he will pull a Ford. Have a whole bunch of talent and someone else comes in and wins the division with it.
This is my non-signature signature.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on June 03, 2017, 08:32:43 am
I think he will pull a Ford. Have a whole bunch of talent and someone else comes in and wins the division with it.

Would have to be one he!! Of a coach to come in and win this division. 
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: hawgon on June 03, 2017, 08:00:23 am
This year will have the entire razorback fanbase clicking its heels and wishing Bret and Long were somewhere else.

Only for the same twelve people that showed up for the BP firing protest...............................I bet you were one of them.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

BigE_23

That's code for, "He has a $15.4 million buyout in his contract that I gave him, so yeah, I'm going to stand beside my erroneous negotiations."

It would be nice if he were in a position to say something to the effect of, "Coach Beilema has done a fantastic job of laying a foundation for our football program. He took over a very difficult situation and everyone knows that. Our students are excelling in the classroom and off the field and that is our #1 priority. Having said that, I'm sure our fans are ready to see what's being built translate into wins on the field, and I echo that sentiment."

Long continues to propagate an ideology that says we have to have one or the other. We either have a clean, mediocre program or a dirty winning one. That's BS - we can have both. I wish he would articulate that instead of his perpetual vote of confidence (which really isn't in Bret, but in himself btw).

lefty08

Quote from: BigE_23 on June 03, 2017, 09:56:07 am
That's code for, "He has a $15.4 million buyout in his contract that I gave him, so yeah, I'm going to stand beside my erroneous negotiations."

It would be nice if he were in a position to say something to the effect of, "Coach Beilema has done a fantastic job of laying a foundation for our football program. He took over a very difficult situation and everyone knows that. Our students are excelling in the classroom and off the field and that is our #1 priority. Having said that, I'm sure our fans are ready to see what's being built translate into wins on the field, and I echo that sentiment."

Long continues to propagate an ideology that says we have to have one or the other. We either have a clean, mediocre program or a dirty winning one. That's BS - we can have both. I wish he would articulate that instead of his perpetual vote of confidence (which really isn't in Bret, but in himself btw).

There isn't much difference in what he said and what you wanted him to say.  Winning on the field is a byproduct of a healthy program, not the other way around. A program doesn't succeed just because of winning on the field
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

LZH

Quote from: ricepig on June 03, 2017, 07:30:07 am
Correct, had he evaded the question, can you just imagine the threads started on here about Long avoiding taking a stance, lol.

He said what he had to, I reckon. Of course some will say "they don't mind losing 5-6 games a year at Arkansas". Or, had he put BB on notice like A&M's AD did, folks could say that he is about to lose his job.

Me, personally, I am no fan of JL's stance - "I know people don't wanna hear it". He should know by now how to dance. If BB goes 7-6 again this season, Long's wagon is hitched. And if he has to cut bait, he'll look wishy-washy. His ass is on the line, too. I think that had alot to do with his response about hiring BP.

WilsonHog

Y'all are focusing too much on Bret and missing the boat.

Long's first priority - regardless of who the coach is - is to build a public university athletic program that stays out of the newspaper for negative publicity, has a good cumulative GPA, and graduates student-athletes. He does want to win, but only under those conditions.

Are some of y'all naive enough to believe that changes just because Bret's buyout is suddenly affordable in two years?

GuvHog

Quote from: lefty08 on June 03, 2017, 10:06:05 am
There isn't much difference in what he said and what you wanted him to say.  Winning on the field is a byproduct of a healthy program, not the other way around. A program doesn't succeed just because of winning on the field

I didn't want him to say anything in particular. I knew he wasn't about to admit that the coach he gave a 15 Million dollar buyout to just a short time ago is sitting on a warm seat. He went all in on Bret so he isn't going to terminate Bret unless he's forced to do so by the PTB at the U of A. It wouldn't be the first time his hand was forced.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

HiggiePiggy

7 or 8 wins is going to keep him at the head coaching job for as long as Arkansas keeps bringing in a lot of money from football.  So he can be here for life and never have to worry about winning more than 8 games a year. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

theFlyingHog

Quote from: hawgon on June 03, 2017, 08:00:23 am
This year will have the entire razorback fanbase clicking its heels and wishing Bret and Long were somewhere else.
For now we have to settle for wishing you were somewhere else. Layin around on the train tracks would be a start

LZH

Quote from: WilsonHog on June 03, 2017, 10:26:41 am
Y'all are focusing too much on Bret and missing the boat.

Long's first priority - regardless of who the coach is - is to build a public university athletic program that stays out of the newspaper for negative publicity, has a good cumulative GPA, and graduates student-athletes. He does want to win, but only under those conditions.

Are some of y'all naive enough to believe that changes just because Bret's buyout is suddenly affordable in two years?

90% of RF members couldn't give a whirlybird darn about GPA's. If these kids want a world class education, don't play football and concentrate on academics.

WilsonHog

Quote from: LZH on June 03, 2017, 10:36:49 am
90% of RF members couldn't give a whirlybird darn about GPA's. If these kids want a world class education, don't play football and concentrate on academics.

I obviously haven't done any polling on this, but there is one thing that seems to be a certainty: Jeff Long's philosophy about how to run our athletic program has support from well-placed people who get to make the decisions about things like this.

The true "foundation" of Razorback athletics is that regardless of who the coach is, regardless of wins or losses, there will be 65,000-plus people who will be in Razorback Stadium season in and season out. It's generational, a family thing.

LZH

Quote from: WilsonHog on June 03, 2017, 10:52:23 am
I obviously haven't done any polling on this, but there is one thing that seems to be a certainty: Jeff Long's philosophy about how to run our athletic program has support from well-placed people who get to make the decisions about things like this.

The true "foundation" of Razorback athletics is that regardless of who the coach is, regardless of wins or losses, there will be 65,000-plus people who will be in Razorback Stadium season in and season out. It's generational, a family thing.

Family thing is right. 1977 to now. I have yet to hear a coach speak of GPA's or any other acronym when speaking at a fish fry.

I know you itch to win more. C'mon man.

bphi11ips

Quote from: lefty08 on June 03, 2017, 10:06:05 am

You just hit the nail on the head.  I'd state it slightly differently.  Winning is a process - in football and in life.  This is Nick Saban's philosophy.  It was Vince Lombardi's.  Get the process right and wins follow. 

Personally, I'm all in on Bret Bielema because I believe the process is there.  He's the kind of coach you would want your own son to play for. 

The problem with Arkansas is the talent ceiling as it relates to its annual opponents.  No matter how good the process is, that ceiling is going to be there.  That doesn't mean there won't be years when we win the SEC West.  It's happened before and it will happen again. 

What Bielema's team needs is to get over the hump on some of these games it should win.  Winning becomes a habit.  So does losing.  Maybe this will be the year when Arkansas players start believing again that they will win every game.  That's more important than defensive schemes or the mix on the offensive line.  It starts with the seniors.  Hopefully AA, Ragnow, and a few others provide the leadership, and with a few breaks (which usually don't happen by accident), this team gets on an early roll and starts to believe in themselves.  It can happen, and it starts with the process.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Al Boarland

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on June 03, 2017, 08:32:43 am
Well, he better start recruiting at a higher level if he is going to leave a bunch of talent for the next guy.

gchamblee

Quote from: rhames on June 03, 2017, 08:06:56 am
Saying what a good AD would say.

We all know Bret has 2 years to get the program where he wants it. I hope he succeeds because I don't have the patience for another coach to come in and rebuild

the next coach won't have to rebuild

gchamblee

Al Boarland

gchamblee

Quote from: LZH on June 03, 2017, 10:26:28 am
He said what he had to, I reckon. Of course some will say "they don't mind losing 5-6 games a year at Arkansas". Or, had he put BB on notice like A&M's AD did, folks could say that he is about to lose his job.

Me, personally, I am no fan of JL's stance - "I know people don't wanna hear it". He should know by now how to dance. If BB goes 7-6 again this season, Long's wagon is hitched. And if he has to cut bait, he'll look wishy-washy. His ass is on the line, too. I think that had alot to do with his response about hiring BP.

Long is on the hot seat?

Bubba's Bruisers

How do we get both?  Particularly a winning one.  Let me rephrase, what is a winning program?

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

rhames

"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

GuvHog

Quote from: Wildhog on June 03, 2017, 11:51:26 am
Is Long tying his fate to Bielema's?

The fact that he gave Bielema a 15 Million dollar buyout in 2014 shows that to be the case.

In Poker terms, Jeff Long went "All In" with a very "Iffy" hand.

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on June 03, 2017, 11:51:26 am
Is Long tying his fate to Bielema's?

No more or less than any other AD ties himself to a coach. If Bielema doesn't produce the results that the administration and PTB wish, he'll be sent down the road. My guess is that Long will still be here if he so desires.

bphi11ips

Quote from: GuvHog on June 03, 2017, 12:08:10 pm
The fact that he gave Bielema a 15 Million dollar buyout in 2014 shows that to be the case.

C'mon, man!

Long's hand didn't look iffy in 2012 when he hired Bielema.  In fact, he looked like he was showing an Ace in Blackjack.   Bielema was the one who left a full house for a pair of dueces. 

Bielema has swung for the fences and narrowly missed a few aces himself, like Solomon Thomas and Garrett Bowles.  But he's drawn a few, too, like Alex Collins, Sosa Agim and Frank Ragnow. 

If you're gonna use poker analogies, get 'em right.

sickboy

I don't think there's any question that our program is more stable now than it ever was under Petrino or Nutt. I don't know if Beielma is going to turn this foundation into 10-11 win seasons, but he's done a good job of pulling us up out of the muck and building a base.

At the very least, the next coach who takes over this program, whenever that is, should have something to work with. Hopefully that person is able to maintain the healthy demeanor of the program and win some big games. For that matter, I hope Bielema is that person. I like the guy a lot and want him to be that guy.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: sickboy on June 03, 2017, 12:29:52 pm
I don't think there's any question that our program is more stable now than it ever was under Petrino or Nutt. I don't know if Beielma is going to turn this foundation into 10-11 win seasons, but he's done a good job of pulling us up out of the muck and building a base.

At the very least, the next coach who takes over this program, whenever that is, should have something to work with. Hopefully that person is able to maintain the healthy demeanor of the program and win some big games. For that matter, I hope Bielema is that person. I like the guy a lot and want him to be that guy.

Can't argue with that. 

gchamblee

If you know that you are giving the new coach 5 or 6 years regardless, there is no risk in giving a large buyout. He can still be fired with cause without the buyout being a factor. This is just manufactured excuse for outrage.

MuskogeeHogFan

Guv, an "iffy" hand? When Bielema was hired after the BP scandal and the ensuing JLS fiasco, it was nationally considered to be a "coup" that Long was able to pull that off. Of course the results haven't exactly been what any of us wanted, but at the time it was considered to be a pretty nifty, big time hire on a national basis.
Go Hogs Go!

bphi11ips

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 03, 2017, 01:01:47 pm
Guv, an "iffy" hand? When Bielema was hired after the BP scandal and the ensuing JLS fiasco, it was nationally considered to be a "coup" that Long was able to pull that off. Of course the results haven't exactly been what any of us wanted, but at the time it was considered to be a pretty nifty, big time hire on a national basis.

I'd say the results are what we wanted. You're right when you say we have lost some games we shouldn't have lost under Bielema. Three games last year left a bad taste. But the foundation is there. Realistically, it was going to take at least 4 years to build. The question now is whether the team can take the next step and start expecting to win every time they step on the field. That's when those games we shouldn't lose will become wins.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: sevenof400 on June 03, 2017, 12:29:32 pm
I think you are overstating the situation at Wisconsin, but I get the analogy.  Maybe Wisconsin was a suited pair..at best.

Yeah, I swear I remember things were getting restless up in Madison his last couple seasons, although I don't think the seat was anything more than warm at the time.  Regardless, BB was probably still in a fairly safe situation in Madison, but still think he wanted to get out of Of town while the get'n was still good.  And get out from under UW's version of Broyles to boot. 

Then along comes Jeff Long trying to sell a dumpster fire, and thus having very little leverage in a negotiation.  Had to offer a huge, long-term guaranteed contract.  BB definitely had the upper hand at the poker table.  The contract proves it.  The timing of the whole deal probably couldn't have been more perfect for BB.  Sort of like the timing was perfect for Long when BP appeared 5 years earlier.

Anywho, really can't criticize Long for the contract.  It was either over commit to a known, established, successful HC or go with a much cheaper up and comer type.  I'm sure he was going to avoid the latter if at all possible given the circumstances.  The hire makes perfect sense.

bphi11ips

Quote from: sevenof400 on June 03, 2017, 12:29:32 pm
I think you are overstating the situation at Wisconsin, but I get the analogy.  Maybe Wisconsin was a suited pair..at best.

Bielema won 40 games and went to 3 Rose Bowls in the four years before he took the Arkansas job. Wisconsin has won 41 since he left. We'd take those numbers.

I'll grant you the Big 10 is not what it once was, but it is still bigtime football.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: sevenof400 on June 03, 2017, 01:11:12 pm
I don't thing coup is the proper term as much as there was a lot of head scratching at the time.  Bielema's departure pulled the curtain back on Wisconsin as it focused light on its inability to hold a coaching staff for an extended period of time given Barry Alarez's unwillingness to pay competitive salaries to assistant coaches.  I agree with you that moving from the Big 10 (er, 12) to the SEC was a major step up competition wise at that time, but I think a good number of people saw Bielema's move from Wisconsin to Arkansas as just a bit more than a lateral move at that time given the conditions at each school at the time of the move.

I do agree with you in that Long (or his search parties) discovered a coach who would be willing to change jobs that many others thought was content to stay put.  And that Long offered enough money to get the move done in fairly short order. 

It wasn't my term. The term "coup" was used by Yahoo Sports with regard to the Bielema hire.

In a stunning coup, Arkansas will hire Wisconsin's Bret Bielema as its next football coach, Yahoo! Sports has learned.

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf--sources--arkansas-to-hire-bret-bielema-195732340.html
Go Hogs Go!

Poker_hog

I don't see a solid healthy program.  We're literally a couple of injuries away from being 4-8.  Our defense was historically bad last year, we're hoping that it was the DC fault but we just don't know.  It's not like we're redshirting 20 players a year to build for later.  I see no signs that we're about to turn the corner.
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Poker_hog on June 03, 2017, 01:28:13 pm
I don't see a solid healthy program.  We're literally a couple of injuries away from being 4-8.  Our defense was historically bad last year, we're hoping that it was the DC fault but we just don't know.  It's not like we're redshirting 20 players a year to build for later.  I see no signs that we're about to turn the corner.

We have (perhaps) historic levels of depth at most positions. 1 injury away from being 4-8? Only at QB and we aren't altogether certain if that is true or not, but most likely at QB than any other position. I think you are without cause, taking a "glass half-empty" position on this as a result of none of us knowing for certain what this team will produce next season. I believe that they are capable of winning 9, maybe more, all depends.
Go Hogs Go!

Bubba's Bruisers

I don't see it as a coup at all.  I see it as the best hire that could likely be made at the time. 

It's hard to properly gauge BB's time at UW.  Successful, no doubt, but during a time when the conference was not very good.  The traditional powerhouses were down.  It's why I believe MSU was able to take a huge step forward nationally over the last decade or so.  It's sort of like we in the SECW like to marginalize any recent success of an SECE team..."Well, we'd be 10-2 too if we had an SECE schedule." mantra.

However, on the flip side, it's not like BB was winning a bunch of Big10 games with obviously superior talent.  I seriously doubt he was, so that's certainly a tribute to his coaching.  He likely has more talent at UA now than he ever had at UW, but I'd argue he also now has a much more difficult schedule to deal with.  The crap that "you are what you're record says you are." Often doesn't fit for college football, where it's often more correct to say "you are what your schedule says you are.".

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Poker_hog on June 03, 2017, 01:28:13 pm

Hard to tell, really.  I'm still staying with 7-5 like last season, because of the defense.  Then probably something similar to that in 2018 due to a QB change.

Have to somehow improve our defensive recruiting.  It's a riddle we haven't solved in years.

GuvHog

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on June 03, 2017, 01:16:59 pm
Yeah, I swear I remember things were getting restless up in Madison his last couple seasons, although I don't think the seat was anything more than warm at the time.  Regardless, BB was probably still in a fairly safe situation in Madison, but still think he wanted to get out of Of town while the get'n was still good.  And get out from under UW's version of Broyles to boot. 

Then along comes Jeff Long trying to sell a dumpster fire, and thus having very little leverage in a negotiation.  Had to offer a huge, long-term guaranteed contract.  BB definitely had the upper hand at the poker table.  The contract proves it.  The timing of the whole deal probably couldn't have been more perfect for BB.  Sort of like the timing was perfect for Long when BP appeared 5 years earlier.

Anywho, really can't criticize Long for the contract.  It was either over commit to a known, established, successful HC or go with a much cheaper up and comer type.  I'm sure he was going to avoid the latter if at all possible given the circumstances.  The hire makes perfect sense.

I didn't have a problem at all with Bielema's original contract but the 15 Million Dollar buyout added after his second season as Hog HC was ridiculous.

ricepig

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on June 03, 2017, 01:52:17 pm
Hard to tell, really.  I'm still staying with 7-5 like last season, because of the defense.  Then probably something similar to that in 2018 due to a QB change.

Have to somehow improve our defensive recruiting.  It's a riddle we haven't solved in years.

We did vastly improve on paper, our secondary/DB recruiting last year. We still need more depth along the d-line, and vast improvement at LB recruiting. We do have a 4* LB committed, and need a couple more.