Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

LSU's new mascot?

Started by Dirttrackhog, June 01, 2017, 10:10:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Birminghog

jneal56

Quote from: gchamblee on June 02, 2017, 08:24:34 am
I drove down to New Orleans a few weeks ago and spent a week. I noticed when I left Mississippi and entered Louisiana, that attitudes changed. The farther south I got, the less I sensed racism. It just got very relaxed and there wasn't black/white, it just felt like people enjoying people. When I would go into a store to pick up cigs or pay for gas everyone was just really friendly. Nobody stared, there wasn't any underlying distrust and it was so noticeably different. I saw a cigar bar on Canal Street that had couches, large screen televisions and a couple of bar areas to get drinks. They were playing some NBA games, I think the playoffs, and it was exclusively black patrons sitting in there relaxing, drinking and watching the game. I went in, bought a cigar and a makers, plopped down on the couch beside a few and joked that I had no idea how to properly prep and light a cigar but wanted to enjoy one while having a drink. It was as if we had all known each other for years. They laughed, helped, included me in all of the conversation, took an interest in where I was from.... I walked out of that bar wishing I could go home to the same people.

I know racism is an issue in this country and there is plenty of blame for all races, but we have to stop indulging people that live for it. The ones that look for it everywhere and manufacture it if it doesn't exist. How many of you knew the origins of LSU's mascot before reading this thread? I didn't, and I certainly would have been happy the rest of my life just seeing their mascot as a tiger and nothing else. This type of attention doesn't shine a light on racism, it manufactures it and creates anger that didn't exist before.

I have racism fatigue. I am having a hard time giving a crap about it anymore because it seems like most of the time it is blown out of proportion and embellished to the point that it serves as an injustice to those who really are suffering the effects of racism. If LSU changes their mascot or makes any move to appease this fake outrage, I will be pissed. One can appreciate/honor their culture without agreeing with every position their culture took in history.

Just my humble opinion.

I agree. Further south, the better the people. Our family goes to Gulf Shores every summer. First thing we noticed once we were in "The Deep South" was exactly how you described. Nobody gave a damn about color. Just helped and enjoyed one another. My wife and I even talked about moving because of it.
"At least we are moral"

PorkSoda

I fail to see what's wrong with LSU's mascot
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

goodguytex

Quote from: PorkSoda on June 02, 2017, 06:31:40 pm

That's LSUfan

NuttinItUp

Quote from: PorkSoda on June 02, 2017, 06:31:40 pm

No beer goggles in the world would make that attractive.

fullfan

who knew Eldrick Woods was racist?? :o

Inhogswetrust

If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Ugly Uncle

I would think Tar heels would be more offensive.  Some say the name became popular because the CSA soldiers from NC wouldn't retreat.  The held their ground like they had tar on their heels.  I'm surprised this hasn't come up yet.
Retired Radio Host

Nashville Fan

I have been all over the world and have noticed some of the most racist people that I have met are not white and a lot of the time are racist to other colors not white. If you can't value other creations of God because of the color of their skin, you have a problem.
Pittman or Bust!

1highhog

The most racist people are the ones that always bring it up on every available occasion and blame others for being "racist".

Bacons Rebellion

I have wondered for years how long it would take someone to start screaming about the Tigers being a unit in the Army of Northern Virginia.

I guess I have found out.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Bacons Rebellion on June 03, 2017, 01:22:10 pm
I have wondered for years how long it would take someone to start screaming about the Tigers being a unit in the Army of Northern Virginia.

I guess I have found out.
No doubt. Just brings further credence to the long held observation "stick around long enough and you're liable to see just about anything". :puke:

Sow Lancelot

Quote from: NuttinItUp on June 02, 2017, 06:45:17 pm
No beer goggles in the world would make that attractive.
Hell, being blind wouldn't make that attractive.
"Nec vitia nostra nec remedium tolerare possumus." Livy
Nihil boni sine labore, sic vis pacem, para bellum.

DLUXHOG

Quote from: BigE_23 on June 02, 2017, 01:00:20 pm
I'm wondering if this is just as much as problem for the Tigers of Grambling University?? Located in Louisiana btw.

Grambling is a black school and racist rules do not apply to them..........
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

PorkSoda

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on June 03, 2017, 02:18:45 am
I would think Tar heels would be more offensive.  Some say the name became popular because the CSA soldiers from NC wouldn't retreat.  The held their ground like they had tar on their heels.  I'm surprised this hasn't come up yet.
I would think people would value historical references even if they aren't always pretty.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

PORKULATOR

How about this? Has a nice ring to it. THE LSU Swamp Rats.

Rabid Nutria from Red Stick. Lol
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

WBOBO

Quote from: TDHawgs on June 02, 2017, 05:29:26 pm
They gonna change their name to LSU Corndogs?
I like it.  Kinda catchy and oh so fitting.
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.

nchogg

Quote from: PorkSoda on June 03, 2017, 07:38:40 pm
I would think people would value historical references even if they aren't always pretty.
I could not have said it better. Society is suppose to learn from their mistakes in history. At the rate we are going our history will be changed. North vs South was not just about slavery it was more about natural resources of the South and industrial empire of the North. Manufacturing in the North also used slave labor especially New York. The United States is the land of the offended. It time we work together as a country instead of tearing it apart.

Ex-Trumpet

Notre Dame needs to change their mascot.  As a US citizen of Irish descent, I'm offended by the stereotype that Irish people drink, get drunk, and fight.  That's just, well...
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

sickboy

Quote from: PorkSoda on June 03, 2017, 07:38:40 pm

Idea for next NFL expansion teams: SAN ANTONIO NAZIS and the TORONTO JOSEPH STALINS

Value add.

Hog N Bama

The author could better serve LSU and Baton Rouge by trying to do something about the crumbly highway going through that NASTY, scummy, town!! ???

Smalltownhog95

Quote from: Birminghog on June 02, 2017, 10:41:39 am
This is an appalling revelation. We must support this effort. I think that all African-American athletes at LSU, in protest, should transfer to universities with documented non-racist mascots - Arkansas, for example.  ;)
Its only a matter of time until Tusk is found offensive to the Muslim students.
Wait a minute this isn't chinese checkers.. This isn't even regular checkers!

Birminghog

Quote from: Smalltownhog95 on June 06, 2017, 09:25:40 pm
Its only a matter of time until Tusk is found offensive to the Muslim students.

Asked and answered. See P.1 of thread. Read more.

PonderinHog

Quote from: gchamblee on June 02, 2017, 04:22:43 pm
I have read that we were the Arkansas Cardinals, until a coach once described our efforts as "They played like a bunch of wild razorbacks" or something to that effect. We later changed our name to the Razorbacks.
Cool story, bro.

sickboy

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on June 03, 2017, 02:18:45 am

I think what I've learned from this LSU situation is that I'm not surprised at all that the Tar Heel etymology hasn't come up. Because who has the time to get worked up about something that's that deeply buried in history? Like, you have to be really angry and looking for someone to blame to go dig up the history of these obscure references and maintain that anger through your digging enough to start a danged petition. I can't think of a single thing I'd get worked up enough about to start a petition. I got more important things to worry about.

Colonel Reb, the Confederate flag, Redskins... those are different. Those illicit direct correlation to racial divide in our country. A Tar Heel sounds like it could easily be a donut, sitting on a shelf next to a bear claw. It doesn't scream racial inequality.

PonderinHog

Quote from: sickboy on June 06, 2017, 11:02:19 pm
I think what I've learned from this LSU situation is that I'm not surprised at all that the Tar Heel etymology hasn't come up. Because who has the time to get worked up about something that's that deeply buried in history? Like, you have to be really angry and looking for someone to blame to go dig up the history of these obscure references and maintain that anger through your digging enough to start a danged petition. I can't think of a single thing I'd get worked up enough about to start a petition. I got more important things to worry about.

Colonel Reb, the Confederate flag, Redskins... those are different. Those illicit direct correlation to racial divide in our country. A Tar Heel sounds like it could easily be a donut, sitting on a shelf next to a bear claw. It doesn't scream racial inequality.
I wonder if UNC offers a course on the subject for their student athletes.

gchamblee

Quote from: PonderinHog on June 06, 2017, 10:41:14 pm
Cool story, bro.

The Razorbacks, also known as the Hogs, are the names of college sports teams at the University of Arkansas in Fayetteville, Arkansas. The University of Arkansas student body voted to change the name of the school mascot (originally the Cardinals) in 1910 to the Arkansas Razorbacks after a hard fought battle against LSU in which they were said to play like a "wild band of Razorback hogs" by former coach Hugo Bezdek. The Arkansas Razorbacks are the only major sports team in the US with a porcine nickname, though the Texas A&M–Kingsville Javelinas play in Division II.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arkansas_Razorbacks

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: GoHogzzGo on June 02, 2017, 07:38:47 am
Ok, a Colonel of the Rebel army I get. But a tiger? Lol. Goodness sakes. I hope there wasn't a unit nicknamed the hogs/razorbacks. Sheesh.

Anyone else see that the "Author" was from the U of Missippi..? Me thinks he doth protest too much...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Bacons Rebellion

The Tennessee Volunteers look on with interest, I suppose. (That was mostly the Mexican War, but that might be even worse these days!)

The first black unit in The Late Unpleasantness was the 1st Native Guards, a Louisiana militia unit of black and Creole troops defending New Orleans for, of course, the South. The unit disbanded after the Union fleet passed the Confederate forts guarding the mouths of the Mississippi. It was also the first American military unit to have black officers.