Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Airline cutback on Charter flights have college teams scrambling

Started by WizardofhOgZ, June 01, 2017, 11:39:06 am

Previous topic - Next topic

WizardofhOgZ

Apparently, with air fare prices going up, the airlines are opting to pull the planes that have been being used for charters so that they can load them with more lucrative passenger flights. College and NFL teams are scrambling to line up carriers.

Sure would suck if our team had to bus to a game at Florida or S. Carolina.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-05-31/facing-charter-shortage-college-football-reconsiders-the-bus?curator=SportsREDEF

ricepig

Wildhog

I need my flying car already.  Air travel is currently ridiculous.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

MultipleScoreGasms

I thought the U of A Athletic Department had a private jet and pilots.  Am I mistaken?  Many corporations have gone that route over the years.  I would expect to see Power 5 teams do the same.

sowmonella

Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

ricepig

Quote from: sowmonella on June 01, 2017, 12:07:04 pm
Not one big enough to carry 100 people.

Yeah, for what we are spending on the NEZ expansion, we could buy a big enough airplane to carry our football team.

MultipleScoreGasms

Quote from: ricepig on June 01, 2017, 12:15:20 pm
Yeah, for what we are spending on the NEZ expansion, we could buy a big enough airplane to carry our football team.
Unless the pilots are rated to fly the larger plane, we may also looking at benefit loaded new salaries or replacement pilots.  Small in comparison to the cost of the plane, but this may be the route.

ricepig

Quote from: MultipleScoreGasms on June 01, 2017, 12:41:52 pm
Unless the pilots are rated to fly the larger plane, we may also looking at benefit loaded new salaries or replacement pilots.  Small in comparison to the cost of the plane, but this may be the route.

I would imagine that teams will still charter, except it will be at a higher rate.

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on June 01, 2017, 12:47:29 pm
Just let 'em take your plane, Rice.

That would call for several trips, we'd have to start on Mondays.

Wildhog

Quote from: ricepig on June 01, 2017, 12:53:47 pm

Well get a bigger plane, then.  It's not all about you, man.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Inhogswetrust

How many will a crop duster hold?
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Get ready for an increase in the minimum donation requirement for your season tickets.........................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Wildhog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on June 01, 2017, 12:57:39 pm
Get ready for an increase in the minimum donation requirement for your season tickets.........................

Pony up the dough!  We have a Liberty Bowl to win!
1909/1964/1965/1977

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: ricepig on June 01, 2017, 11:43:25 am
Yeah, saw this earlier on another board.

Yep, that's where I saw it as well.

For the record . . . I bring a lot of links here; things I think will be of interest to the general populace.  And the feedback I get from other posters/readers indicates that, for the most part, they do enjoy them.

But - in most cases - it isn't that I have a "secret stash" of information no one else has.  Sure, every once in a while, I'll stumble across something relatively obscure that most here wouldn't otherwise see.  More often, however, I've simply seen it while reading another board (i.e., someone else has posted), or from a "news source" available to everyone else.  But I'm not trying to make anyone think I have "inside sources".  Just trying to share information, in reciprocation for the information others bring here that I enjoy.

ricepig

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on June 01, 2017, 12:55:44 pm
How many will a crop duster hold?

I don't know, I don't own one, but they can haul around 8800 pounds, so divide that by the average football player's size. Mine is about 2400 pounds, so we may need a fleet of Air-tractors.

Seebs

More fuel to the fire that is the War Memorial Stadium quandary.  Can;t get a flight back so no reason to some to LR.

Okay - this is pretty thin, but fun to poke the horse's skeleton.
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

MultipleScoreGasms

Quote from: Wildhog on June 01, 2017, 12:55:20 pm
Well get a bigger plane, then.  It's not all about you, man.

That's funny right there.

MultipleScoreGasms

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on June 01, 2017, 12:57:39 pm
Quote from: Wildhog on June 01, 2017, 01:01:40 pm
Pony up the dough!  We have a Liberty Bowl to win!

I like this one too!!!

RazorPiggie

How many players travel? I'd bet we send way more than 100 to an away game with all the coaching staff.

RazorPiggie

Birminghog

Quote from: RazorPiggie on June 01, 2017, 01:31:25 pm
You cheater.

Bama flew from Tuscaloosa to Atlanta last year ( ::)). They prob could have bussed to the hotel in the time it took them to bus to the Tusc airport, board, fly to Atl, & bus to the hotel.

oldfart

Quote from: RazorPiggie on June 01, 2017, 01:30:22 pm
How many players travel? I'd bet we send way more than 100 to an away game with all the coaching staff.
i know it used to be a max of 65 players but i think has gone up since then.  also coaches, trainers etc would add substantially to it

ricepig

Quote from: oldfart on June 01, 2017, 06:44:04 pm
i know it used to be a max of 65 players but i think has gone up since then.  also coaches, trainers etc would add substantially to it

I believe it's 70 in the SEC.

theFlyingHog

Quote from: MultipleScoreGasms on June 01, 2017, 11:51:09 am
I thought the U of A Athletic Department had a private jet and pilots.  Am I mistaken?  Many corporations have gone that route over the years.  I would expect to see Power 5 teams do the same.
The cost of owning and operating a large jet are astronomical. Way beyond plausible for as little as the university needs one.

TebowHater

Quote from: Birminghog on June 01, 2017, 04:30:36 pm
Bama flew from Tuscaloosa to Atlanta last year ( ::)). They prob could have bussed to the hotel in the time it took them to bus to the Tusc airport, board, fly to Atl, & bus to the hotel.

Haha good point but we fly back from Little Rock...

That said, I can see why both teams do (given they have the resources). The private flight from Drake is about 23 minutes and the private boarding takes 10 minutes. Not even close to the drive. Longest aspect of trip is just getting showered and into the busses after the game, which would take same amount of time either way.

supersaint

Quote from: RazorPiggie on June 01, 2017, 01:30:22 pm

Back in the day (may still be) the cheerleaders were on the plane with us.
There's no sense in nonsense when the heat is hot.

greasy_corner

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: TebowHater on June 01, 2017, 07:17:17 pm
Haha good point but we fly back from Little Rock...

That said, I can see why both teams do (given they have the resources). The private flight from Drake is about 23 minutes and the private boarding takes 10 minutes. Not even close to the drive. Longest aspect of trip is just getting showered and into the busses after the game, which would take same amount of time either way.

Once a year for only the next few years. After that then that flight doesn't happen..............................

go hogues

Umm. There are entire charter companies. Miami air comes to mind. I doubt anyone will be scrambling too hard.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

East Clintwood

Might have to cut back a bit on the luxurious jet travel.

Go back to basics.

Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

alohawg

"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

Rzback

Contact XtrAirways out of Miami/Coral Gables they can take care of us. Phone: +1 813-200-4510 Fax: +1 702-442-1104 fly@xtraairways.com
Winning Percentages (how times have changed!) Frank Broyles 71%  Lou Holtz  74%  Ken Hatfield 76%  Jack Crowe 38%  Joe Kines 35%  Danny Ford 47% Houston Nutt 61%  Bobby Petrino 67%  John L Smith  33%  Bret Bielema 46%  Chad Morris 14%  Sam Pittman 52%

John Snow

I know Warren Stephens the CEO of Stephens inc lets  Arkansas use his private plane several times .

ricepig

Quote from: John Snow on June 03, 2017, 01:37:48 pm
I know Warren Stephens the CEO of Stephens inc lets the Arkansas use his private plane several times .

Uh, yeah, but it doesn't hold 125 people, lol.

sowmonella

Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

GoHogs1091

Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 01, 2017, 06:51:43 pm
The cost of owning and operating a large jet are astronomical. Way beyond plausible for as little as the university needs one.

They could probably get a good deal on a Boeing 757.  The 757 is a great plane that Boeing shouldn't have discontinued.

http://www.thisisinsider.com/boeing-757-pilot-reveals-737-not-replacement-2016-9

Not ever having to hire a charter service again would be worth it.