Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hogs 3-4 Defense Creates Illusion of Multiple Fronts

Started by Mike Irwin, May 07, 2017, 06:55:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

MuskogeeHogFan

I'm looking forward to seeing the difference this fall.
Go Hogs Go!

bphi11ips

Mike writes "the players on the defensive side of the ball struggled for the past two seasons under a simpler 4-3 scheme."  This is contrary to what I've seen written for the most part on Hogville.  I believe the coaches have said the reads are simpler in the 3-4.  Is that because defensive plays are more predetermined in the 3-4 than in the 4-3?

I like the multiple fronts in the 3-4, but I think Mike is right - it's a more complicated scheme than the 4-3. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Pig in the Pokey

the scheme is more complex at a coach's level, yet as you said, the player's assignments are simplified. It's a win/win if you have the coach with the play calling ability to handle the pressure of calling a risk/reward type of defense.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

FANONTHEHILL

May 09, 2017, 07:16:50 am #4 Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 08:39:00 am by FANONTHEHILL
As always, great reporting from Mike Irwin.  I always appreciate your insight on TV, the radio, and here.  I will add that I believe it's also worth pointing out that Arkansas rarely ran a true 4-3 the last couple of years.  It was more if a 4-2-5 or nickel package.  The 3-4 will not only give them more variety regarding bringing pressure, it should help with containment in the edge while providing a bigger body at LB inside.  I've very excited to see what they can do with the zone blitz packages.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015