Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

This season will mark 40 years since the 1977 season

Started by Ben, April 30, 2017, 03:42:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben

This coming season will mark 40 years since we fielded one of the best teams in program history. It will also be 40 years since the Hogs have won a major bowl game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pB8jWTIqu6g
Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on January 18, 2016, 11:06:54 pm. The four team playoff is still opinion. Or do you really think MSU was really the fourth best team in CFB?
You miss the boat.  A four team playoff is a championship.  A championship produces... a champion. You seem to be looking for the "best" team.  The "best" doesn't exist. Best does not equal champion.  Best is a myth.
Opinion polls produce... opinions.

WilsonHog

Hard to believe it has been 40 years. I was 14 years old at the time, and that is still my favorite Razorback football team. I still remember the names of all 22 starters. I can't say that for any team since. Of course, that may in part be because the whole Razorback experience was new and magical for me. I attended my first Hog game that season, a 34-0 victory over Bill Yeoman's Houston Cougars in WMS.

daBoar

Quote from: Ben on April 30, 2017, 03:42:14 pm
This coming season will mark 40 years since we fielded one of the best teams in program history. It will also be 40 years since the Hogs have won a major bowl game.

40 Years since a stadium full of fans threw oranges on the field; that was great fun, too.

SWMrshogfan

I was one of the orange throwers!!! That was a great year to be a Razorback and a junior at the U of A.

sowmonella

Quote from: WilsonHog on April 30, 2017, 05:02:01 pm
Hard to believe it has been 40 years. I was 14 years old at the time, and that is still my favorite Razorback football team. I still remember the names of all 22 starters. I can't say that for any team since. Of course, that may in part be because the whole Razorback experience was new and magical for me. I attended my first Hog game that season, a 34-0 victory over Bill Yeoman's Houston Cougars in WMS.
I was at that game but I was 22.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

Vantage 8 dude

Oh the tales I could tell about being at that game! Man, one of the best and rowdiest atmospheres I've ever seen and experienced. We were sitting in the end zone where the vast majority of our TDs were being scored. Were also in the midst of a bunch of Okie fans and no doubt began giving them hell for the vast majority of the game. Ran them out of the area after the end of the third quarter.

Later took over a "dive" called "The Wreck Bar".....how appropriate....actually turned out to be a pretty nice place. In any event, we ran out a huge crowd of Sooner fans who had gotten there early to drink away their sorrows. Not sure where those guys might have ended up; quite frankly don't care....Gosh, was that REALLY forty years ago ??? :-\

Hawgzinbowlz

When that '77 team crossed the white lines they brought ferocious game intensity with them...Razorback Winning Attitude...

The okies were on the receiving end of one of The Hogs greatest victories...And one of my favorites as the company I worked for was constructing Frank's new home on the hill during that season and every game seemed magnified.

Love him or not, Lou had us dialed in.

" GO HOGS "

Exit Pursued by a Boar

Quote from: sowmonella on April 30, 2017, 05:44:59 pm
I was at that game but I was 22.

I was at the UT game.  Damn that Earl Campbell!

EFBAB

LZH

Quote from: SWMrshogfan on April 30, 2017, 05:37:49 pm
I was one of the orange throwers!!! That was a great year to be a Razorback and a junior at the U of A.

You owe me some white jeans!   >:(     (I was standing up clapping and an orange hit my seat....splat)

longtimeHogfan

That was a special team.  Even at 11-1 we weren't considered much of a threat to beat Okie.  Especially with nearly 80% of our scoring offense for the year suspended and sidelined (Cowins & Bobo).  Back-up running back, Sales, few knew was even on the roster.  His Orange bowl rushing record stood for something like 20 years. 

Dan Hampton.....Steve Little.....Special team.

Barry Switzer was quoted:  "It'd be our luck that one of the Hog's back-ups will break one for a long TD."  About that time we did.
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: WilsonHog on April 30, 2017, 05:02:01 pm

I was just 11 and it was one of the greatest years of my life.  Dad said Roland Sales bought a ton of Caddies and Lincolns for Framers wifes across the Delta after that Orange Bowl win.   My Great Uncle put down 500 on the Hogs and took his wife to a trip to Hawaii on his winnings.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

RedSkiesAtNightHog

Many people forget that to finish the regular season 10-1, Arkansas escaped with a 17-14 victory over Texas Tech in Lubbock.  The game was on ABC national television with Keith Jackson on the call.  I, however, was in the stands in Lubbock with my Dad and a large contingent of Arkansas fans!

Arkansas trailed Texas Tech 14-3 at the half.  The game turned when Arkansas blocked a Texas Tech field goal attempt in the 3rd quarter that would have put Tech up 17-3.  We personally witnessed Ron Calcagni launch a perfect bomb to Bobby Duckworth in the 4th quarter to give the Hogs the lead! 

After watching that game in person, we could have never predicted the magnificent game Arkansas would play against Oklahoma in the Orange Bowl!

Go Hogs!

LZH

Quote from: RedSkiesAtNightHog on May 01, 2017, 10:35:49 am
Many people forget that to finish the regular season 10-1, Arkansas escaped with a 17-14 victory over Texas Tech in Lubbock.  The game was on ABC national television with Keith Jackson on the call.  I, however, was in the stands in Lubbock with my Dad and a large contingent of Arkansas fans!

Arkansas trailed Texas Tech 14-3 at the half.  The game turned when Arkansas blocked a Texas Tech field goal attempt in the 3rd quarter that would have put Tech up 17-3.  We personally witnessed Ron Calcagni launch a perfect bomb to Bobby Duckworth in the 4th quarter to give the Hogs the lead! 

After watching that game in person, we could have never predicted the magnificent game Arkansas would play against Oklahoma in the Orange Bowl!

Go Hogs!

Very true, easily could have lost that one.

We went into College Station and beat A&M (they were Top 10 I think) in a close one, too.  I remember my dad telling me that if we win, I'll take you to Fayetteville next weekend (for the SMU game, which was my first).  Of course, his buddy at the bank had already given him the tickets and we were going anyway (and my mother is from there and we were gonna stay with her brother), but it made it more fun.

PonderinHog

Quote from: SWMrshogfan on April 30, 2017, 05:37:49 pm
"Just glad it wasn't the Gator bowl!"  - SIAP

Vantage 8 dude

DeltaBoy

Yes losing to Texas that year made me want to puke.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

WilsonHog

Quote from: DeltaBoy on May 01, 2017, 02:13:45 pm
Yes losing to Texas that year made me want to puke.

Almost got me killed. I was watching the game by myself at my house. My mom had gone to get groceries, and arrived back home during the game. I could hear her calling me from outside to come help bring them in, but, well, the game was on. So as not to miss a play, I sprinted to our front door and before I could think, yelled, "MOM! I'm watching the damn game!!"

Once she figured out it was the Texas game, we were all cool again.

ur

Quote from: Hawgzinbowlz on April 30, 2017, 08:05:51 pm
When that '77 team crossed the white lines they brought ferocious game intensity with them...Razorback Winning Attitude...

The okies were on the receiving end of one of The Hogs greatest victories...And one of my favorites as the company I worked for was constructing Frank's new home on the hill during that season and every game seemed magnified.

Love him or not, Lou had us dialed in.

" GO HOGS "

Does this bring back memories?
https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/Fayetteville-AR/pmf,pf_pt/72851108_zpid/31543_rid/globalrelevanceex_sort/36.073279,-94.113334,36.067356,-94.121059_rect/16_zm/

DeltaBoy

Quote from: WilsonHog on May 01, 2017, 02:23:04 pm
Almost got me killed. I was watching the game by myself at my house. My mom had gone to get groceries, and arrived back home during the game. I could hear her calling me from outside to come help bring them in, but, well, the game was on. So as not to miss a play, I sprinted to our front door and before I could think, yelled, "MOM! I'm watching the damn game!!"

Once she figured out it was the Texas game, we were all cool again.

LOL

hogcard1964

mizzouman

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but is it being said that Arkansas hasn't won a major bowl game in 40 years?  Are you counting the Cotton Bowl as major?

hogcard1964

Quote from: mizzouman on May 02, 2017, 08:04:47 am
Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but is it being said that Arkansas hasn't won a major bowl game in 40 years?  Are you counting the Cotton Bowl as major?

It wasn't a "major" bowl when we beat Kansas St. in it.  It was on the rise again.  When we beat Texas in 2000, it was a second tier bowl.

gchamblee

Hawgzinbowlz

Quote from: ur on May 01, 2017, 02:55:35 pm
Does this bring back memories?
https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/Fayetteville-AR/pmf,pf_pt/72851108_zpid/31543_rid/globalrelevanceex_sort/36.073279,-94.113334,36.067356,-94.121059_rect/16_zm/
Yes it does. Thanks and it was an incredible home to participate on.
Prior to the Oct. 15 Texas game Frank brought Chris Schenkel and Ara Parseghian up for a tour of his new home under construction. A win on Saturday would have been icing on the cake...
Thanks again.

" GO HOGS "

OS2 (SW) Razor Back

The Giants win the penent!!!!!The Giants win the penent!!!
Today, I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the Earth.
I can't believe what I just saw!!!!
Down goes Frazier!!!! Down goes Frazier!!!
Do you believe in miricles?!?!?!

bennyl08

Quote from: DeltaBoy on May 01, 2017, 08:35:16 am
I was just 11 and it was one of the greatest years of my life.  Dad said Roland Sales bought a ton of Caddies and Lincolns for Framers wifes across the Delta after that Orange Bowl win.   My Great Uncle put down 500 on the Hogs and took his wife to a trip to Hawaii on his winnings.

I always assumed you would have been in your late 20's to early 30's then, not a preteen.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Jackrabbit Hog

I was 16 at the time and sitting on the top row of the lower deck of the old Orange Bowl on about the goalline, with my mom, dad and sister.  That's still the happiest I think I've ever been during and after a Razorback game. 
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Hawgzinbowlz

Torqued pork

May 03, 2017, 12:12:28 am #28 Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 12:30:24 am by Torqued pork
Earl Campbell gained at least 1/2 of his 23,174 career yards against the Hogs. He may have left their OU game on a gurney, but was always his awesome self against us.

Steef

Best Hog team in my lifetime. And Im old enough to remember our Natty in the 60s. I believe the 77 team could have beaten any of our own 60s team.

But Earl Campbell was just magnificent that year. He ruined our season, but he was. Breaks my heart that he was a Horn.

I wasnt at the Bowl game. I was married with three daughters in 77.

At some point late in the game, score 24-6, one of the talking heads said, "You know, Arkansas just might WIN this game!"

I still to this day, chuckle over that.

Iwastherein1969

My pops took me(17 yrs old), my girlfriend (16 yrs old), my older brother and his girlfriend along with, obviously, my mom, to South Beach a full week before the game. The absolute best time I've had in my life. I was young, the Cowboys were in their glory days, the Hogs were college's version of the Doomsday Defense and we were going to south Florida for a week just after Christmas. The only problem with the trip is that the whole week it was unseasonably cold. The temperature hoovered in the mid 50's to low 60's the whole trip. I have never before, nor since, watch a Razorback defense absolutely put it on a great team like OU. Our defense played like mad dogs and Englishmen. Lou's game plan, run the veer, run it straight at them with quick hitters with the occasional Gary Stiggers reverse. OU didn't know what hit them.

Where have those days gone ? Teams, no matter who they were, feared our defense. I guess a much younger Monte Kiffin did the trick. It took Earl Campbell's best game of his life to deny us the National Championship in Fayetteville. Oh, the irony. Texas doing it to us once again. Those were the days. Everyone pats Lou on the back but that team was Frank Broyles' recruits from top to bottom. His last great class. It was back in the day when central Arkansas football ruled the roost. We need Little Rock to have a football renaissance and if we could get that, we could compete with Alabama. But not until central Arkansas high school football of the 60's and 70's returns. I hope I live that long.
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

gchamblee

longtimeHogfan

What a joy to watch that again after all these years.  THANK YOU!
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

mizzouman

Quote from: hogcard1964 on May 02, 2017, 08:14:46 am
It wasn't a "major" bowl when we beat Kansas St. in it.  It was on the rise again.  When we beat Texas in 2000, it was a second tier bowl.
I know but I still consider the Cotton Bowl one of the top tier ones.  I'm old school....Rose, Orange, Cotton and Sugar.

DeltaBoy

hogcard1964

Quote from: DeltaBoy on May 04, 2017, 08:49:50 am
It was a wonderful year.

That it was.  If you think about it, we actually came within 1 play of playing for the national championship.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: LZH on May 01, 2017, 07:25:07 am
You owe me some white jeans!   >:(     (I was standing up clapping and an orange hit my seat....splat)

After Labor Day.!?!? SMH...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

PonderinHog

LZH

welchog

First Hog game I ever saw in person!  Highlight of my life.   I will never forget Roland Sales getting over 200 yrds and whipping the tar out of the Sooners.

ChicoHog

May 07, 2017, 08:24:03 pm #40 Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 11:07:59 pm by ChicoHog
I watched the entire game last night on my laptop while I had baseball on TV.  That was a great game to watch.  That was maybe the best New Years Day games ever for me as I grew up a Notre Dame fan and they stomped Texas and by that time (I was 16) I had become a Hog fan because my sister was a teacher at the University and I had been there several times visiting her. 

Some observations:

Very few substitutions.  The guys who started played just about every down.  Except for the WRs who were shuffling in the plays for both teams.  Nice not to see those cartoon boards so many teams have now.  Everything is so specialized and micro managed now.

WR's using the 3 point stance.  I can't remember when that stopped.  Mid 80's?

No holding calls. Love that! 

Actually calling intentional grounding although the one Calcagni threw into the endzone was a bad call.  I like when the QB can't just throw it out of bounds like they do now.

OU statistically was competitive but because they had so many negative yardage plays they could not sustain a drive.  Our defense completely shut down the QB wide run/toss option.  They got all their yards on halfback or fullback dives. 

Freeman was a monster for us on the line.  He had so many great tackles for loss it was amazing. 

The players were so much smaller then. 

The D-linemen played a yard off the line of scrimmage.  Was that a rule back then or just a choice?  I don't remember.  I need to watch more of these old games on Youtube.  Pretty cool stuff. 

Little really got loft on the XP and FGs but maybe that was because of the tee. 

The slick field definitely hurt OU more than us.  they had numerous players lose their footing and cost them yardage.

Holtz and his staff did a great job with their game plan both on offense and defense.

Calcagni was a lot more athletic than I remembered. 

The commercials were fun and nice to see stuff that wasn't concerned about being politically correct and only catering to the young demographic. 

I was a freshman at U of A in fall of 79 and don't remember Trent Bryant playing RB.  He was a freshman in this game would have been a junior for the 79 season.  What happened to him?  I just remember Gary Anderson and Daryl Bowles and Jessie Clark. 

I always liked Merlin Olson but boy did he make a lot of mistakes!   

HogBreath

Quote from: mizzouman on May 04, 2017, 08:13:27 am
I know but I still consider the Cotton Bowl one of the top tier ones.  I'm old school....Rose, Orange, Cotton and Sugar.
You're right, it is one of the major bowls.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

DeltaBoy

Quote from: bennyl08 on May 02, 2017, 04:26:14 pm
I always assumed you would have been in your late 20's to early 30's then, not a preteen.

Yea I was an old man before my time per my mom.

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Tejano Jawg

I had that 45, of the Orange Bowl song by Lefty Floyd.

I share everyone's great memories of that season, how strong that team was (if you recall, the previous year we were a ho-hum 5-5-1), all those wins, another sickening Texas loss with the help from the refs, concluding with the upset of OU. That was my freshman year of high school.

As good as our offense was, with Ron Calcagni, Ben Cowins, Steve Little, this may be the first Hog team where I knew everything about every guy on defense, including tackles Jimmy Walker and Dan Hampton. I played defensive back, so I was really into our amazing secondary—Sampson, Martin, Lusby and Shoup (3 All-SWC, 1 Academic All-American). We never gave up long plays.

Something else, the Spring before this season, Lou Holtz came to Bentonville to speak at our athletic banquet. There are 2 odd things about this—one, I would have been in 8th grade, so I'm not sure why I would have been to the varsity banquet (unless it was just to hear Holtz). And two, why the heck would he come to Bentonville??...it's not like it was the thriving metropolis it is now. No one knew much about Holtz then, but with his comedy schtick and magic tricks, he blew everyone away.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

14 years before I was born lol. Kind of sad that nothing of that magnitude has taken place in my lifetime. Biggest Razorback achievement was Petrino taking us to the Sugar Bowl against Ohio State, and that was a loss  ::)
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Ben on April 30, 2017, 03:42:14 pm

Given the fact stated in your last sentence, I applaud the business folk at the U of A over the decades for raising ticket prices at triple the rate of inflation every year on average while the product was pitched at an emotional level to U of A alums and Ark residents. Pitched the come to us all yet never realized much of anything other than a couple of years under BP.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: LZH on May 01, 2017, 07:25:07 am
Ha. All this time i thought you were a guy. Had no idea you are a female.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Steef on May 03, 2017, 01:29:22 am
Best Hog team in my lifetime. And Im old enough to remember our Natty in the 60s. I believe the 77 team could have beaten any of our own 60s team.

But Earl Campbell was just magnificent that year. He ruined our season, but he was. Breaks my heart that he was a Horn.

I wasnt at the Bowl game. I was married with three daughters in 77.

At some point late in the game, score 24-6, one of the talking heads said, "You know, Arkansas just might WIN this game!"

I still to this day, chuckle over that.
Sort of sad that neither of those "talking heads" are with us anymore. Good announcers.

bollweevil

I still have the ticket stub from the Orange Bowl. $15 for a seat in the upper deck.  And they gave everyone who entered the stadium a small flashlight and three gel cards of different colors to use during the halftime show.  They turned off the lights and had the even-numbered sections hold up their lights with one color over the end and the odd-numbered sections with a different color. Was actually pretty cool. I was fresh out of the UA and it is my second favorite Razorback memory, right behind beating Texas in Fayetteville 27-24 in 1965.