Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Watching the 30 for 30 on Calipari

Started by HognotinMemphis, April 30, 2017, 11:54:40 am

Previous topic - Next topic

onebadrubi

Quote from: J-Five on May 02, 2017, 10:17:24 am
I find it funny all of the folks calling Cal an "A-Hole", etc.  You don't even know the man personally. LOL.  He must not be that much of an "A-Hole" if parents keep sending their kids to play for him....

You could do a lot with this quote... After thinking about I better leave it alome

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: HF#1 on May 02, 2017, 12:16:24 pm
In my opinion it isn't so much about getting guys to the NBA. It's about taking players who know they are elite, who have ego's, who know they will play in the league, and getting them to play as a cohesive unit for one year.

The teams that don't play so much as a unit falter in the Sweet 16 or Elite 8. The teams that do buy in and play as a unit get to the final four and win a championship.

I'll also add that folks who say he isn't a great coach are just experiencing sour grapes. He coaches his ass off every game and knows his x's and o's.

I agree with everything you said except the last two sentences, and especially the last sentence.  I don't think anyone has ever accused Calipari of being a great tactician or game coach.   But the other things you said are 100% true.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Sed76

Quote from: mizzouman on May 02, 2017, 08:11:09 am
The end does not justify the means.  He got great players by cheating.  Now, he doesn't have to cheat as much.  Yes, he got players to the NBA, but I'm pretty sure the kids that went to the NBA would have went with or without Cal. 

It's not like he got a bunch of 2 star guys and made them millionaires in the NBA.  Now, THAT would be a story.  But he got guys that would go to the NBA anyway.

Exactly, these guys were going pro with or without Calipari and Kentucky. If he was at UALR turning out first round draft picks then yeah, I'd say he was a HOF coach. Pretty much anyone with the title "coach" could win a high percentage of their games with a team full of McDonald's all american players. 1 title with all the talent he gets is a joke.

HoopS

May 02, 2017, 04:16:31 pm #53 Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 04:40:32 pm by HoopS
I see the schyster has suckered a few more.

hogsanity

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on May 02, 2017, 01:24:50 pm
I agree with everything you said except the last two sentences, and especially the last sentence.  I don't think anyone has ever accused Calipari of being a great tactician or game coach.   But the other things you said are 100% true.

Twice last season during late game time outs he drew up a play on the white board that got Monk open looks and he knocked down a 3 both times to tie games that iirc they ended up winning. That is just two examples I can remember, but I do not stalk Calipari like some of you do. I know this, that's two more drawn up plays than I saw from other coaches last season. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: hogsanity on May 02, 2017, 04:26:35 pm
Twice last season during late game time outs he drew up a play on the white board that got Monk open looks and he knocked down a 3 both times to tie games that iirc they ended up winning. That is just two examples I can remember, but I do not stalk Calipari like some of you do. I know this, that's two more drawn up plays than I saw from other coaches last season.

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut on occasion.

Look, Calipari is probably the most polarizing figure in all of college sports.  He may be the love child of John Wooden and Henry Iba and inherited all of their coaching genius, but I will never ever like the guy, or admire him, or respect him.  Maybe that's on me and I'm the one with the problem, but so be it.  To me he represents everything that is wrong with college sports today and if Arkansas ever hired him, they'd lose a fan.

And I'm not sure what you mean by stalking him.  I've respected the terms of that restraining order ever since it was put into effect.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: J-Five on May 02, 2017, 10:17:24 am
I find it funny all of the folks calling Cal an "A-Hole", etc.  You don't even know the man personally. LOL.  He must not be that much of an "A-Hole" if parents keep sending their kids to play for him....
I have made this same point many times. I have met him. He and his wife have had dinner at our house. He is a very personable and pleasant guy. He likes to talk but he does not come off as insincere or egotistical. Whatever though. Keep calling him slimy, a cheater, etc while he wins more than anyone else in the game.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

onebadrubi

Quote from: HoginMemphis on May 03, 2017, 11:50:07 am
I have made this same point many times. I have met him. He and his wife have had dinner at our house. He is a very personable and pleasant guy. He likes to talk but he does not come off as insincere or egotistical. Whatever though. Keep calling him slimy, a cheater, etc while he wins more than anyone else in the game.

So it's fair to say you're too close to him to have an unbiased opinion.  And it's funny you think it's something to say he's had dinner at your house.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: onebadrubi on May 03, 2017, 06:08:13 pm
So it's fair to say you're too close to him to have an unbiased opinion.  And it's funny you think it's something to say he's had dinner at your house.
It is something to say in this thread. It shows I am not some rube on an internet bulletin board spewing unfounded opinions full of venom. That's the point of it. If you take it as something else, that is on you. Envy not cool.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

onebadrubi

Quote from: HoginMemphis on May 03, 2017, 07:44:47 pm
It is something to say in this thread. It shows I am not some rube on an internet bulletin board spewing unfounded opinions full of venom. That's the point of it. If you take it as something else, that is on you. Envy not cool.

Glad to know you support college coaches making arrangements for athletes to make sure somehow,someway they get the act score they need. 

I do t think anyone but you envy's cal. 

mizzouman

Having dinner with the guy and chit-chatting is one thing.  Hell, I would love to have a beer with the guy.  But, just because he's a great guy OFF he court, doesn't make him someone to admire in the coaching ranks.  Two different things.

He has a history.  A LONG HISTORY of leaving college basketball programs in a mess and having controversy hanging all over him.

mizzouman

Another point.

One and done has made Cal a quadruple millionaire.  If basketball had the same rule as football or baseball, Cal would be in trouble.

He would not get the one and done player, obviously, because they would go to the NBA.  If they had to stay for 3 years, then that would leave other high quality players to sign with other programs.  More competition.

MountieDawg

Quote from: Sed76 on May 02, 2017, 03:31:29 pm
Exactly, these guys were going pro with or without Calipari and Kentucky. If he was at UALR turning out first round draft picks then yeah, I'd say he was a HOF coach. Pretty much anyone with the title "coach" could win a high percentage of their games with a team full of McDonald's all american players. 1 title with all the talent he gets is a joke.

He forces them to be team players and how to share the ball the responsibility for the greater good of the team... Which will be important in the NBA... Not many coaches can take the top talent and get them to mesh so soon... He has a great staff that makes sure the players understand the little parts of the game. NC did win the NC this year, but they had McDonalds All Americans that had been there for 3 and 4 years... Could you imagin Cal's team if he convinced players to turn down millions to keep college fans happy.
SEC!

holeinthewall

And if Long could get Calipari to Arkansas everyone on here talking about how he cheats and everything else would care less if he was signing all these top recruiting classes. 

HoopS

Quote from: holeinthewall on May 11, 2017, 03:43:51 am
And if Long could get Calipari to Arkansas everyone on here talking about how he cheats and everything else would care less if he was signing all these top recruiting classes. 
I don't know. People didn't like Perrino when he was here. Most did. Not everybody. I liked him while he was here because he was our coach and I gave him the benefit of the doubt. But I always had some reservations.

If we hired Cal, I would know he could recruit talent but I'd always worry about the future cost of it.

PorkRinds

Wrong. Completely wrong.

Porked Tongue

Wrong.  Same with me if Gus got the UA job.
Done on both counts.
Good try and guessing what is in everyone's heart.