Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

"Why more Prospects will Skip Bowl Games"

Started by WilsonHog, April 30, 2017, 09:16:40 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hogsanity

Quote from: bennyl08 on May 01, 2017, 02:27:25 pm
Do most players in the other developmental leagues go on to the big leagues? If not, then the fact that most college players don't get drafted wouldn't exclude college ball from effectively being a D-league.

Most other d leagues are players getting paid by the parent pro team or the parent pro league itself, that is a big difference.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

bennyl08

Quote from: hogsanity on May 01, 2017, 02:49:14 pm
Most other d leagues are players getting paid by the parent pro team or the parent pro league itself, that is a big difference.

Looking at the NBA d-leagues, maximum contract was 25k and it just changed to be 26k. College athletes earn about 100k a year when it is all said and done (tuition, room/board, food, stipend, personal nutrition, personal trainer, semi-private gym and equipment, personal tutor, coaching, other facilities, stipend, etc...)
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

TNhawgfan

Quote from: hawganatic on May 01, 2017, 02:44:00 pm
Thought that was the Wisconsin game the year before, in the Capital One?
You may be correct. My mind isn't what it used to be
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

bennyl08

Quote from: TNhawgfan on May 01, 2017, 05:10:57 pm
You may be correct. My mind isn't what it used to be

Entropy just isn't what it used to be.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

31to6

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 01, 2017, 07:00:31 am
I agree with this. I also want to try to understand the perspective of some of the players as well. Many young men see this opportunity (the NFL) as a way of finally being able to take care of and give back to their families and they don't want to risk injury in a bowl game or an all star/Senior Bowl game. I can understand that. But there is also the developed camaraderie and team mentality that has been built during the time that they played with their team mates at their school, and for many, that has to gnaw at them when making a difficult decision like this.
Yup to all that.. esp the bold stuff.

I understand.

I try not to judge.

But f ESPN. College football would have intrinsic value to the players, parents, fans and the schools even if the NFL didn't exist.

WilsonHog

Quote from: 31to6 on May 01, 2017, 08:28:32 pm
Yup to all that.. esp the bold stuff.

I understand.

I try not to judge.

But f ESPN. College football would have intrinsic value to the players, parents, fans and the schools even if the NFL didn't exist.

Agreed. I'll watch most any CFB game, just because I love the University atmosphere and I still believe that amateurism should mean something. I'll watch the NFL if my favorite team is playing or when the playoffs start.

ChicoHog

Quote from: 31to6 on April 30, 2017, 01:53:09 pm
The thing I really hate about this article, and indeed, that I hate about ESPN is that for them everything is analyzed in the context of the NFL and signing bonuses and pro careers. I really like NFL football. But I also really like College football. I am really sick of them calling the bowl games "meaningless" just because they don't path to the national championship. The bowl games I watch sure look like they matter to the players, coaches and their families. We know what "meaningless" football looks like: it is the Pro Bowl, with folks playing 2/3 speed an cracking jokes with each other (which is ok for what that game is, but it is not good football).

And I do NOT think it is good for the NFL to gut the magic of the college game. Football as a sport is already under enough pressure without the so-called fans and the sports media chipping away at it. (Talk about biting the hand that feeds you!)

As an individual decision I think play or not play is up to the player, the coaches and the team to work out. I won't call any one player selfish because I don't know their situation. But mostly, it seems selfish to me to leave your team hanging when they are going to be out there putting it all on the line for each other.

What if 1/3 of the LSU starting 22 decides not to play to preserve their draft status? What kind of mockery would that make of the bowl game? *That* is the path to meaninglessness and *that* is how football at all levels dies another little death.

Well said.  I really enjoy the games.  And they are only meaningless in terms of playing for the national championship.  Take each game as a separate entity and enjoy it for what it is.  The Penn st/USC Rose Bowl game last year was outstanding.

hogsanity

Quote from: bennyl08 on May 01, 2017, 03:46:31 pm
Looking at the NBA d-leagues, maximum contract was 25k and it just changed to be 26k. College athletes earn about 100k a year when it is all said and done (tuition, room/board, food, stipend, personal nutrition, personal trainer, semi-private gym and equipment, personal tutor, coaching, other facilities, stipend, etc...)

I know EXACTLY what a scholarship is worth. My son just got a full ride ( year I am bragging about him ) for academics, and the 4 year value is 125K. However, he can also go out and get a job if he wants to, anywhere someone will hire him.

Don't get me wrong, I have never bough the notion that college players are not paid, compensated, for their play. But many do not see it that way because free tuition does not pay for momma's house or car, does not put food on their grandmas table. To many players, 26K is a big deal.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Swine-as-wine

Quote from: hobhog on April 30, 2017, 11:08:40 am
Why play at all then? Once you know you are a high draft pick just quit. Quit on your teammates, coaches and fans.

And since you refuse to play, go ahead and reimburse the university for its scholarship.

BTW- can't you get insurance to protect yourself in case of injury these days?

You mean kinda like Jadeveon Clowney?

hogginbama

Quote from: daBoar on May 01, 2017, 06:23:46 am
There is a chance that we won't have CFB as we know it today in 10 years.  Much is changing in our society very fast; around my community the rage is lacrosse, it was invisible 10 years ago.

Lacrosse is one heck of a game. Our youngest son picked up on it when we lived in SC. Is a cross between soccer, football and hockey. I consider it the fastest game played.
My ole buddy Biscuit has crossed that rainbow bridge. Life sure is different without him around.

tophawg19

the player does owe it to his team mates . they are the ones who got him there . He owes it to the coaches whose jobs could depend on bowl wins and he owes it to the fans who spent tons of money supporting him and paying his way through school. Without every single one of these , he is nothing . Also it shows a character flaw , That he puts himself above team, fans and coaches . It is selfish not to be there for those guys who fought hard to help you achieve your goals and then not be there when they needed you there to possibly further their careers. Especially if one is on the bubble of making it to the NFL
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

hogsanity

Quote from: tophawg19 on May 02, 2017, 12:21:58 pm
Especially if one is on the bubble of making it to the NFL

A player not playing in a bowl is not going to keep a team mate from making it in the NFL.

Quote from: tophawg19 on May 02, 2017, 12:21:58 pm
the player does owe it to his team mates . they are the ones who got him there . He owes it to the coaches whose jobs could depend on bowl wins and he owes it to the fans who spent tons of money supporting him and paying his way through school. Without every single one of these , he is nothing . Also it shows a character flaw , That he puts himself above team, fans and coaches . It is selfish not to be there for those guys who fought hard to help you achieve your goals and then not be there when they needed you there to possibly further their careers. Especially if one is on the bubble of making it to the NFL

What if his coaches 7 teammates support his decision? What if the coaches actually recommend it?

bphi11ips

Quote from: MissippHog on April 30, 2017, 01:19:14 pm
At what point does it end though?  Will kids start shutting it down by the 9th game of the season once they've semi-secured their place in the draft?

Good question. There is a slippery slope element to this discussion. Where does it end?

Wilson's question is appropriate, too. Is college football an audition for the NFL or amateur athletics played for the love of the game, for glory for the alma mater, and for personal development and branding?  How does that personal brand play out over a lifetime after football?  Did the glory days help Jim Lindsey or Chuck Dicus or Quinn Grovey, just to name a few, in their careers?  Does skipping a bowl game impact that brand? 

The decision is complicated, but I don't think we'll see a rash of players skipping bowl games, especially not games that matter to fans. I can understand McCaffrey's decision. Stanford doesn't care as much about football as Arkansas, and they have no rivalry with NC. Had the game been against Notre Dame he may have played. Would Darren McFadden have skipped a bowl game?

I think the decision is personal but think skipping a bowl game tarnishes a star player's legacy in a way that can damage long term good will that will return in spades over a lifetime. Life after football lasts a long time.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/04/30/nfl-draft-oj-howard-tampa-bay-bucs-jake-butt-broncos-acl-injury-nathan-peterman-bills

"I don't think my opinion's changed," Bengals OT and NFLPA president Eric Winston told me Saturday, after Butt was selected. "The thing that's changed is that another false narrative has been proven false once and for all. The whole idea that, 'Man, if you sit out your bowl game, then they're gonna think less of you and you won't get drafted as high,' has obviously been proven false again. We all knew it was false.

hogsanity

Quote from: Karma on May 02, 2017, 01:00:51 pm
http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/04/30/nfl-draft-oj-howard-tampa-bay-bucs-jake-butt-broncos-acl-injury-nathan-peterman-bills

"I don't think my opinion's changed," Bengals OT and NFLPA president Eric Winston told me Saturday, after Butt was selected. "The thing that's changed is that another false narrative has been proven false once and for all. The whole idea that, 'Man, if you sit out your bowl game, then they're gonna think less of you and you won't get drafted as high,' has obviously been proven false again. We all knew it was false.

The NFL seeks out talent above all. It is why they spend millions on scouting. It is how they find guys no one has ever heard of because they bloomed late and played a fcs school. They are not going to look at a guy they feel has NFl skills, and pass on him because he sat out a bowl game.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: hogsanity on May 02, 2017, 01:04:11 pm
The NFL seeks out talent above all. It is why they spend millions on scouting. It is how they find guys no one has ever heard of because they bloomed late and played a fcs school. They are not going to look at a guy they feel has NFl skills, and pass on him because he sat out a bowl game.

Heck they don't pass on them for criminal charges. NFL doesn't care about bowl games.  It won't change a GMs decision on a player they want.
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

hogwild6700

In all fairness - if they skip the Bowl Game...shouldn't the University start sending a pro-rated invoice for tuition?
Two little mice fell in a bucket of cream. The first mouse quickly gave up and drowned. The second mouse, wouldn't quit. He struggled so hard that eventually he churned that cream into butter and crawled out. Gentlemen, as of this moment, I am that second mouse.

HamSammich

Bowl games my ass. I never understand how freshmen like fournette who have already displayed what they have stay in school. Soon kids will be skipping sophomore years and college living at an Olympic track facility getting stronger and faster not taking hits. They are stupid if they don't.

Yes they have the money to do that. Any agent in America would have given him a mill to sign and do this.

hobhog

Quote from: HamSammich on May 02, 2017, 09:07:22 pm
Bowl games my ass. I never understand how freshmen like fournette who have already displayed what they have stay in school. Soon kids will be skipping sophomore years and college living at an Olympic track facility getting stronger and faster not taking hits. They are stupid if they don't.

Yes they have the money to do that. Any agent in America would have given him a mill to sign and do this.

Guess I'll just have to go watch the Hog players that can't go pro or elect to stay in college. May even help programs like Arkansas that cant recruit the big egos and NFL money guys.

hogsanity

Quote from: HamSammich on May 02, 2017, 09:07:22 pm

There was serious talk that Fournette was going to do just that, sit out his last year to avoid injury, and just train. Hindsight says that would have been a good idea.

hogsanity

What the angst over this comes down to is fans do not want these players to sit out because fans think these guys will help teams win their bowl game, which will then let fans crow about their team.

Quote from: hogwild6700 on May 02, 2017, 08:42:00 pm
In all fairness - if they skip the Bowl Game...shouldn't the University start sending a pro-rated invoice for tuition?
Maybe some schools should then offer a real education and not push all athletes into low-obligation, low-value degrees.

gchamblee

Quote from: LZH on April 30, 2017, 01:53:18 pm
I wouldn't presume to have any idea.  Maybe they all get the same, I dunno.  Then, what about walk-ons?  Or, what about golfers and high-jumpers?  Men's BB players get more than the women's?

It's too much for me.  I am not necessarily all for the idea of paying them, but I understand the argument.

paying players would be a good way to level the playing field against teams like bama/clemson/osu. Let every college team have 3 tiers of payment and limit how many players can receive payment as top tier and 2nd tier. once bama has recruited and handed out their 15 top tier comp packages, those 5* athletes will go to another school that still has room in the top tier of compensation. A lot more teams would be able to recruit the talent needed to compete against the juggernauts. and dont tell me it wont, because kids today are all about me me me and money money money. they want money more than they want championships. this would immediately introduce parity.

also the players on a team that block for and pass to these kids that sit the bowl out because money risk don't deserve to be abandoned for what will most likely be their last important game in the sport. if i was a lineman on a team and i didn't really have much hope of being drafted and the star running back i blocked for all year decided to sit out for the bowl i would disown him as a teammate. i would say "ya we played on the same team but he was no teammate of mine".

gchamblee

Quote from: hogsanity on April 30, 2017, 07:50:21 pm
Bowl games, except the 3 playoff games, are MEANINGLESS.

i would never call an accomplishment that i was unable to achieve myself "meaningless". i respect what it took for those guys to get there.

gchamblee

Quote from: hogsanity on April 30, 2017, 08:14:47 pm
The games do not produce titles, win conferences, etc. They produce revenue for leagues/schools and cities. I do not blame any of the players for not playing in them.

are you anti-profit when it comes to athletic departments? me personally, i don't have a problem with a school that is expected to maintain/improve facilities, hire top level coaches, produce winning programs and satisfy a championship or bust fan base turning a profit. i do not have a problem with offering a kid a rather expensive college education, access to top notch facilities and trainers as well as exposure that will give them the opportunity to turn pro in exchange for their services as an athlete. im not sure where the attitude that making money is a bad thing comes from, but i don't agree with it.

gchamblee

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on April 30, 2017, 08:19:41 pm
Injury will always set you back, not matter WHEN it is. Sure, TE Jake Butt got hurt in the Orange Bowl—his last game—and it cost him several rounds. But so did our Jonathan Williams, his injury right before the season cost him too (and us, by the way).

I wonder why bowl games are singled out by these guys? Just because they're the last game? Why does the danger increase so much then?

If a team is eliminated from the chance of winning their conference, and a shot at the playoffs, isn't the rest of the season irrelevant—by this thinking—to a potential first-round pick? What if that's 3-quarters the way through the season? Why would a kid who'd want to skip a bowl game, not also want to sit out the last 2 or 3 (maybe more) games of the regular season?

they were given scholarships in exchange for playing. imagine if pro athletes stopped playing once their team was eliminated from the playoffs? why should he risk injury when there is nothing to gain by it? ill tell you why, because he is being paid to. a school pays athletes by giving them all of the access they have to top level facilities/trainers and scholarships. at some point people need to realize that a college scholarship is not chump change.

gchamblee

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 01, 2017, 07:00:31 am
I agree with this. I also want to try to understand the perspective of some of the players as well. Many young men see this opportunity (the NFL) as a way of finally being able to take care of and give back to their families and they don't want to risk injury in a bowl game or an all star/Senior Bowl game. I can understand that. But there is also the developed camaraderie and team mentality that has been built during the time that they played with their team mates at their school, and for many, that has to gnaw at them when making a difficult decision like this.

It would be a lot easier for many of these young men if their HC's would just say, "You have done enough, skip this game and protect yourself." But I doubt that you will see many (if any) HC's say that because they very much care about the outcome of a bowl game.

they have to. when it only takes a loss or 2 for a fan base to start clamoring for a new coach, why would a coach even consider taking a loss just because it may benefit a few of his more talented players.

bphi11ips

Quote from: hogsanity on May 03, 2017, 08:10:46 am
What the angst over this comes down to is fans do not want these players to sit out because fans think these guys will help teams win their bowl game, which will then let fans crow about their team.

Would college football be as popular as it is today if it had been nothing more for a century than professional minor leagues similar to baseball minor leagues?

Another way to phrase the question is this - why do 75,000 fans attend a game in Fayetteville, Arkansas, or 100,000 in Ann Arbor, College Station, Tuscaloosa, etc.?

hogsanity

Quote from: gchamblee on May 03, 2017, 08:46:41 am
are you anti-profit when it comes to athletic departments?

Not at all. My point is that, unlike regular season games which can lead to titles, or a better paying bowl game, the outcome of the bowl game itself means very little.

Quote from: bphi11ips on May 03, 2017, 08:54:11 am
Would college football be as popular as it is today if it had been nothing more for a century than professional minor leagues similar to baseball minor leagues?

Another way to phrase the question is this - why do 75,000 fans attend a game in Fayetteville, Arkansas, or 100,000 in Ann Arbor, College Station, Tuscaloosa, etc.?

College football is popular, and I did a thread on this a few years ago, because it is like church to many people. A place to go, see friends, enjoy what you have been blessed with and forget, at least for a while, your troubles. You can celebrate things like the 1st time you take your kids to a game, or the 1st time your kids bring their kids. You can relive moments from the past. Many people sit in the same seats year after year, getting to know those around them, almost becoming a small congregation of sec 109 for example. And you come away feeling better than you did when you showed up. 

But not every college stadium is full on game day. Big time college football and college football in general are 2 different things. It is like the different between major league baseball and short season rookie ball. Many games are played in old stadiums, in front of sparse crowds. Some are there because they are family, others because they have been going for 50 years, and a few, just to enjoy one more fall day in the sun.

gchamblee

Quote from: hogsanity on May 03, 2017, 10:03:56 am
Not at all. My point is that, unlike regular season games which can lead to titles, or a better paying bowl game, the outcome of the bowl game itself means very little.

College football is popular, and I did a thread on this a few years ago, because it is like church to many people. A place to go, see friends, enjoy what you have been blessed with and forget, at least for a while, your troubles. You can celebrate things like the 1st time you take your kids to a game, or the 1st time your kids bring their kids. You can relive moments from the past. Many people sit in the same seats year after year, getting to know those around them, almost becoming a small congregation of sec 109 for example. And you come away feeling better than you did when you showed up. 

But not every college stadium is full on game day. Big time college football and college football in general are 2 different things. It is like the different between major league baseball and short season rookie ball. Many games are played in old stadiums, in front of sparse crowds. Some are there because they are family, others because they have been going for 50 years, and a few, just to enjoy one more fall day in the sun.

i disagree. most fan bases, ours in particular, will use the outcome of a bowl game as justification for irrational desires to fire a coach. with this being i assume normal behavior within most all fan bases, i would say the outcome of bowl games means quite a bit.

Beavthompson

Quote from: lakecityhog on April 30, 2017, 12:05:40 pm
The other way to look at this is:
Is college football a D-League for the NFL or not?
If a kid takes a scholarship and commits to play for the TEAM should he honor that commitment or not?
The teams have thousands of ways to screw over the players. They can refuse to release you, they make players sit out a year for transfer, accept your commitment and drop you on signing day, and this is the one way a player can do what's rights for him. Poor teams making billions lost out on a player for a meaningless bowl game. Cry me a river.
Say no to drunk posts! Unless its a great idea!

gchamblee

Quote from: Beavthompson on May 03, 2017, 11:25:56 am
The teams have thousands of ways to screw over the players. They can refuse to release you, they make players sit out a year for transfer, accept your commitment and drop you on signing day, and this is the one way a player can do what's rights for him. Poor teams making billions lost out on a player for a meaningless bowl game. Cry me a river.

the only real fix for this is for players to stop committing to and playing for coaches that do this. once they figure out that they can no longer recruit quality players because of how they treat players, things will change in a hurry. however, as long as these kids are worrying only about themselves instead of their collective influence, things will not change.

hogsanity

Quote from: gchamblee on May 03, 2017, 11:19:53 am
i disagree. most fan bases, ours in particular, will use the outcome of a bowl game as justification for irrational desires to fire a coach. with this being i assume normal behavior within most all fan bases, i would say the outcome of bowl games means quite a bit.

I am talking about to the team itself. It is why we see so many teams appear to mail it in in their bowl games. The extra practice is important to younger players, the revenue is important to the leagues, making a bowl is much better than not, but the actual outcome of the game is just not that big of a deal to the team - the fans, as you rightly point out, is a different story.

gchamblee

Quote from: hogsanity on May 03, 2017, 12:55:47 pm
I am talking about to the team itself. It is why we see so many teams appear to mail it in in their bowl games. The extra practice is important to younger players, the revenue is important to the leagues, making a bowl is much better than not, but the actual outcome of the game is just not that big of a deal to the team - the fans, as you rightly point out, is a different story.

I am not trying to be argumentative with you, but I disagree. I think the players really want to win their bowl games.

bphi11ips

Quote from: gchamblee on May 03, 2017, 01:10:32 pm
I am not trying to be argumentative with you, but I disagree. I think the players really want to win their bowl games.

I agree.

Only about 1.5% of college football players who are draft eligible make it to the NFL.  The vast majority realize they will make a living at something other than football.  Scholarships pay for degrees, but the hourly wage isn't all that great.

Only about 2.6% of high school football players will play college football.  It takes great dedication in high school to have a shot at college. 

The common denominator among the few who make it far enough to play in a bowl game is the kind of competitiveness derived from the absolute hatred for losing.  At anything. 

Players want to play and win.  Period.

hogsanity

Quote from: gchamblee on May 03, 2017, 01:10:32 pm

Quote from: bphi11ips on May 03, 2017, 01:50:53 pm
I agree.

Only about 1.5% of college football players who are draft eligible make it to the NFL.  The vast majority realize they will make a living at something other than football.  Scholarships pay for degrees, but the hourly wage isn't all that great.

Only about 2.6% of high school football players will play college football.  It takes great dedication in high school to have a shot at college. 

The common denominator among the few who make it far enough to play in a bowl game is the kind of competitiveness derived from the absolute hatred for losing.  At anything. 

Players want to play and win.  Period.

Still missing my point. In the grand scheme of a season, the outcome of the bowl may be the least important of all the games. It can't win you a NC, or a conf title, or a division title. The players get the same swag bags win or lose. They get the same time in the bowls city, the same meals, etc, win or lose. The outcome of the bowl has very little bearing on anything. IF you lose a lot of key players after the game, winning the bowl won't even get you a good ranking pre season the next year.

Let say the hogs go 8-4 or 9-3, Austin Allen has a great season and is projected as a 3rd/4th round pick, but he has a sore shoulder from the wear and tear of the season, and the O-line has not been protecting him very well lately. The Hogs make the Music City bowl, and he decides not to play. I am not going to think any less of him for doing so. Winning or losing the Music City bowl is not going to change one thing for the team.   

bphi11ips

Quote from: hogsanity on May 03, 2017, 02:02:57 pm
Still missing my point. In the grand scheme of a season, the outcome of the bowl may be the least important of all the games. It can't win you a NC, or a conf title, or a division title. The players get the same swag bags win or lose. They get the same time in the bowls city, the same meals, etc, win or lose. The outcome of the bowl has very little bearing on anything. IF you lose a lot of key players after the game, winning the bowl won't even get you a good ranking pre season the next year.

Let say the hogs go 8-4 or 9-3, Austin Allen has a great season and is projected as a 3rd/4th round pick, but he has a sore shoulder from the wear and tear of the season, and the O-line has not been protecting him very well lately. The Hogs make the Music City bowl, and he decides not to play. I am not going to think any less of him for doing so. Winning or losing the Music City bowl is not going to change one thing for the team.   

Okay, but you just went from the team in general to a player who sits out solely to avoid injury prior to the draft.

You missed my point.  Players may not be as up for a bowl game as they are for a pivotal conference game.  It's not unusual to see teams flat for a bowl after a disappointing season.  BUT - college football players HATE to LOSE.  They hate to lose intrasquad games.  They hate to lose at checkers.  That's why they're college football players. 

311Hog

Quote from: bennyl08 on May 01, 2017, 03:46:31 pm

but you can't pay your bills with these things.

311Hog

Quote from: hogwild6700 on May 02, 2017, 08:42:00 pm

does that go both ways?  do absolute mega stars in college have the same right to send the school an invoice for services rendered after graduation or leaving school? since they obviously exceeded the value of the education they were provided as compensation for their efforts.

gchamblee

Quote from: 311Hog on May 03, 2017, 03:52:31 pm
does that go both ways?  do absolute mega stars in college have the same right to send the school an invoice for services rendered after graduation or leaving school? since they obviously exceeded the value of the education they were provided as compensation for their efforts.

?? Are you saying a scholarship is specifically for average play?

bennyl08

Quote from: hogsanity on May 03, 2017, 12:55:47 pm

For many, it is the last time they will get to play. Imagine a band playing a final show before they break up and become adults. They get paid a flat fee for the concert so it doesn't matter how well they do. You think they are going to mail in their performance or relish every second and leave their souls out on the stage in their farewell show?

Most of the team isn't going to get to play on saturday. However, this is a basically an expensive hobby that has dominated their life and schedule for many many years and is something that they will likely never get to experience once their eligibility is finished.

For an individual who has a career ahead of him to continue to play this game and make this game an even bigger part of his life, they have to think long term. However, they will not get a chance to experience a college game ever again and many will want to relish that last chance to fight with that group of brothers and represent that university.

Sure, there are examples of some teams mailing it in for a bowl game. However, not enough for it to be considered a thing.

311Hog

Quote from: gchamblee on May 03, 2017, 04:00:49 pm
?? Are you saying a scholarship is specifically for average play?

I'm saying if a school feels they should send a pro rated invoice to a player that skips the bowl game as the poster I quoted suggested. Then does that mean when a player is like Cam Newton or Dmac etc. and make so much money for the school and probably STILL is making the school money years after they graduated should that player send an invoice to the school for their just due? because I am pretty sure Auburn got more then the price of tuition, room and board for 2 years out of Cam.

bphi11ips

Quote from: 311Hog on May 03, 2017, 09:50:56 pm
I'm saying if a school feels they should send a pro rated invoice to a player that skips the bowl game as the poster I quoted suggested. Then does that mean when a player is like Cam Newton or Dmac etc. and make so much money for the school and probably STILL is making the school money years after they graduated should that player send an invoice to the school for their just due? because I am pretty sure Auburn got more then the price of tuition, room and board for 2 years out of Cam.

Is that all they paid him? 

;)

EastexHawg

Quote from: hobhog on April 30, 2017, 11:08:40 am
Why play at all then? Once you know you are a high draft pick just quit. Quit on your teammates, coaches and fans.

Exactly.

EastexHawg

Quote from: The ColonelHog on May 03, 2017, 04:09:50 pm
Do you really think ONE LSU fan will remember 4Nette skipped a bowl game 10 years from now?  These are not the old days and yes, branding is important and it has become so much of sports, especially with the super, can't miss talents like 4Nette.  At the beginning of every pro game during starter intros, 4Nette will say his name followed by Louisiana State University!  Do you not think fans will relish in it every time he say it?  What about on bye weeks when he's standing on the LSU sideline with a house full of recruits.  At the end of the day, athletes will be playing in bowl games.  Super-athletes may or may not but I thinks it's much to do about nothing.

Every time I hear Shawn Andrews' name the first thing that comes to mind is that he sat out the bowl game after telling some BS story about crawling across the floor and drinking out of a toilet.

hogsanity

Quote from: EastexHawg on May 03, 2017, 10:49:24 pm
Every time I hear Shawn Andrews' name the first thing that comes to mind is that he sat out the bowl game after telling some BS story about crawling across the floor and drinking out of a toilet.

And that's because some of you are always looking for something to be butt hurt over about Hog football.

bphi11ips

Quote from: hogsanity on May 04, 2017, 09:11:55 am
And that's because some of you are always looking for something to be butt hurt over about Hog football.

Do you believe it's okay to accept the benefits of a bargain and then renege on your end of the deal?  Did Andrews wake up one morning after the end of the 2003 regular season and discover that football is a dangerous game?

Darren McFadden played in a meaningless Cotton Bowl for an interim coach against a much better team.  So did Felix Jones and Peyton Hillis.  McFadden was the fourth overall pick in the draft, and Jones was 22nd.  Hillis went in the 7th round. 

Andrews was the 16th overall pick in the 2004 draft and had a better NFL career than DMac, Jones or Hillis.  But many fans won't remember him as fondly as other great Razorbacks players because he skipped the bowl game.

hogsanity

Quote from: bphi11ips on May 04, 2017, 12:41:33 pm
Do you believe it's okay to accept the benefits of a bargain and then renege on your end of the deal?  Did Andrews wake up one morning after the end of the 2003 regular season and discover that football is a dangerous game?

Darren McFadden played in a meaningless Cotton Bowl for an interim coach against a much better team.  So did Felix Jones and Peyton Hillis.  McFadden was the fourth overall pick in the draft, and Jones was 22nd.  Hillis went in the 7th round. 

Andrews was the 16th overall pick in the 2004 draft and had a better NFL career than DMac, Jones or Hillis.  But many fans won't remember him as fondly as other great Razorbacks players because he skipped the bowl game.

Until it gets brought up, I forget he did that. I just like remembering all the guys he pancaked.

I played two years on a golf scholarship. Nothing I signed had a minimum number of matches. I played on the team during the season, that and making the grades/class requirements held up my end of the bargain. Unless their was specific language in the scholarship for Andrews, he fulfilled it by playing the 2003 season.

elksnort

Quote from: WilsonHog on May 01, 2017, 08:42:37 pm
Agreed. I'll watch most any CFB game, just because I love the University atmosphere and I still believe that amateurism should mean something. I'll watch the NFL if my favorite team is playing or when the playoffs start.
About the same with me. Pro sports are getting less interesting all the time for me. I would watch the Utah Jazz, because I used to like them and Joe Johnson plays for them. But the games are so late for me. And really, the NBA is not interesting at all in the regular season. And frankly, unless the Dolphins are playing and playing well, I could not care less about the NFL either.

hobhog

Quote from: hogsanity on May 03, 2017, 08:09:19 am
There was serious talk that Fournette was going to do just that, sit out his last year to avoid injury, and just train. Hindsight says that would have been a good idea.

It would have been a horrible idea.