Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dumpster Fire In College station

Started by Boss Hog in the Arkansas, April 10, 2017, 12:06:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

LRRandy

Quote from: theFlyingHog on April 10, 2017, 08:19:22 pm
I don't know what it makes us but I do know what your post makes you.
able to read the sports section?
This is fun, isn't it.

Hoggish1

Hawgar The Horrible

A&M spent nearly half a billion dollars on Kyle Field. They must be thinking "I shaved my legs for this!?".
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

EastexHawg

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on April 10, 2017, 05:19:42 pm
I think Eastex and I are about the same age.  I was in college from '79 to '83, which was just about the time in Arkansas that cable television and, more particularly, ESPN, became popular.  Of course, being so new, programming was pretty sparse so to fill time in between SportsCenters, college football games and whatnot, ESPN showed a lot of off the wall stuff back then.  Australian Rules Football was a staple those first couple of years and me and my roommates ate it up.  We loved it, even though we couldn't figure out most of the rules.  We especially loved how the guy in the suit and hat would signal a score when a ball went through the uprights.  Whenever he'd do his signal, we'd just go crazy.  It got to where we were betting on games (with each other, not bookies) and actually keeping up with standings and such.  Fun times.

Yep.  America's Cup Yachting, too.  The idea of 24 hour sports, no matter what the sports were, was magnificent.  I watched enough Top Rank Boxing to start thinking James "Quick" Tillis was actually a contender instead of the palooka he was.  They had another guy, Irish Billy or something like that, who bled like a hemophiliac with his first straight razor.

bennyl08

Quote from: EastexHawg on April 10, 2017, 09:41:09 pm
Yep.  America's Cup Yachting, too.  The idea of 24 hour sports, no matter what the sports were, was magnificent.  I watched enough Top Rank Boxing to start thinking James "Quick" Tillis was actually a contender instead of the palooka he was.  They had another guy, Irish Billy or something like that, who bled like a hemophiliac with his first straight razor.

I wish sports channels had more "boring" shows that went into details. Rather than spend 2 minutes showing top 10 plays, have a 30 minute segment where the top 10 play calls that week get dissected and analyzed. Go in depth on the how a pass rusher used his hands to have that 3 sack performance or show every route that the top WR prospect ran that week to get the 170 yard passing game.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

HoopS

I will buy into nothing negative about them until we show up and beat them. I don't even discuss them and our chances of winning. We should have beaten them regularly and we haven't been. Put up or shut up.

hogcard1964

Interesting thing regarding all of these "dumpster fires" throughout college football that we've witnessed.

Penn St., Auburn, LSU, Texas A & M, now Ole Miss has been deemed the next one...

They all seem to pull themselves out of these fires, and yet we still have a small faction that blames our current problems on something that happened 5 years ago...

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: hogcard1964 on April 11, 2017, 09:01:16 am
Interesting thing regarding all of these "dumpster fires" throughout college football that we've witnessed.

Penn St., Auburn, LSU, Texas A & M, now Ole Miss has been deemed the next one...

They all seem to pull themselves out of these fires, and yet we still have a small faction that blames our current problems on something that happened 5 years ago...

What problems?
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: lakecityhog on April 10, 2017, 07:54:08 pm
If ATM is a dumpster fire and still beat us 4 times in a row, what does that make us???

Fuel?

More likely, water.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

GoHogzzGo

I do think that is a fair point. Penn State is a great example. Starting this year especially Bielema does not have many excuses, it is on him now. I'm not saying he should win 10+, but if we are looking for a very good coach(not great coach), he should be hitting that 8-9 win window for sure. An average coach can do 7 here.

Saban is still sucking all the air out of his division. Really need him to retire so we have some chance, especially in years we do well against the other in division teams.

Hope Ole Miss and TAMU do actually crash.
Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.

NuttinItUp

Maybe we have a shot against the Ags this year. 

The 5-year streak needs to end.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arkansas%E2%80%93Texas_A%26M_football_rivalry

311Hog

while i agree with your point the teams you mentioned all have different circumstances to their issues.

For example Penn St.  - is a rich and deep football state, you could field a team just off players from the state alone.  Their issues were not exactly related to the team IE recruiting violations etc. and in all honesty the powers that be there IMHO act like it never really happened, same with the fan base, recruits etc. To big to fail comes to mind.

Auburn - Their issues come from an unnatural obsession with keeping up with Bama, and since Bama is the gold standard they are willing to do anything and i do mean anything to get there.  I know we want it but we aren't paying that $$$$

LSU - Well LSU is saturated with elite football talent, and is the craziest state in the union by far.  They are and will always be what they are. 

A&M again pure passion which stems from the exit of the Big 12 and big bro Texass, and in a state saturated with football talent.  The foot print is so large it is almost impossible to slow down. 

And now we have Ole Miss - i really think Ole Miss takes a step back over the years and resettles into the middle of the pack, if Freeze survives all of this then they are bound to try $$$ it again.

Atlhogfan1

Penn St is a poor example.  The NCAA sanctions ended up not crippling them.  They are recruiting classes near the top of the B1G again.  AU, LSU and A&M all can recruit on levels we can only of dream of doing.  You can make faster recoveries at those programs. 

Sumlin has mostly been able to avoid a complete meltdown due to his qb dumpster fire as he has pulled something out to compensate with Knight's transfer being the biggest save.  It will catch up to him at some point.  We should have beaten A&M multiple times recently.  No excuses.  I would have preferred to have played them later in the season however with the way they collapse.  Some of their troubles have partially been caused by the physical toll our game has put on them.  Why Sumlin has tried changing things to recover from and not let our game affect their season. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

EastexHawg

A&M doesn't just collapse later in the season or because we have somehow devastated them, their record fades because they start playing the best teams on their schedule late.  Last year they played Tennessee, Alabama, Ole Miss, LSU, and Kansas State after they played us.  They won one of those games.  How many would they have won if they had played those same teams in September and early October?  Probably one of them.

bennyl08

Quote from: EastexHawg on April 11, 2017, 05:54:26 pm
A&M doesn't just collapse later in the season or because we have somehow devastated them, their record fades because they start playing the best teams on their schedule late.  Last year they played Tennessee, Alabama, Ole Miss, LSU, and Kansas State after they played us.  They won one of those games.  How many would they have won if they had played those same teams in September and early October?  Probably one of them.

Tenner is a team that we would have likely beaten, OM we did beat, and KSU is a team we likely would have beaten. Aggies beat us and did so soundly this year. The only game on that list they should have lost would be Bama, with LSU being a game they could win but would be tough, and Tenner, OM, and KSU should have all been victories with at least a similar margin to the hog game.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

factchecker

They also lost to Ole Miss and Miss State..... two teams we beat.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

hogcard1964

^ this

Hoggish1

Hoggish1

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on April 10, 2017, 12:20:17 pm
We lead the all time series 41-29-3.

Stop right there with that nonsense! 

This is a new world you are living in regardless of whether you chose to believe it...

Hoggish1

April 11, 2017, 06:54:01 pm #70 Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 12:18:08 pm by Hoggish1
Quote from: rhames on April 10, 2017, 12:21:07 pm

Fair enough.

I don't think so.  You roll over easy...

Hoggish1

Phil D

GO HOGS!!!!!!

EastexHawg

Quote from: bennyl08 on April 11, 2017, 05:59:31 pm
Tenner is a team that we would have likely beaten, OM we did beat, and KSU is a team we likely would have beaten. Aggies beat us and did so soundly this year. The only game on that list they should have lost would be Bama, with LSU being a game they could win but would be tough, and Tenner, OM, and KSU should have all been victories with at least a similar margin to the hog game.

Based on...what?

bennyl08

Quote from: EastexHawg on April 11, 2017, 08:12:02 pm
Based on...what?

Well, we beat both of those teams last season. Tenner had the same record this year as last year. They did beat 2 teams we lost to this season, but those same two teams we should have beaten handily. In short, Tenner wasn't dramatically better this year than they were last year when we beat them.

Moving on to KSU, they improved from 6-7 to 9-4. However, they still lost to every ranked team that they played, and they are KSU.

What about us? We were much closer to a 9 win season this year than we were the season before as well.

In short, the evidence is that we were the better team against both just one season ago. We were knocking on the door louder this year than we were last year. The teams we beat last year were improved as well, but not to the point that either game should be considered worse than a toss-up. Given that the aggies beat us handily, worst case we'd be toss ups vs those two teams, Aggies should have beat them soundly as well.

Tusks

Quote from: Hoggish1 on April 11, 2017, 06:49:55 pm

This is a new world you are living in regardless of whether you chose to believe it...

Stop it with this nonsense !

That record is over a few generations and there's nothing on the table right now that says the Hogs shouldn't beat A/M 2 out of 3.

All it's missing is competent coaching.  Maybe the hogs will get some this year.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Iwastherein1969

I refuse to ever even consider that in the most remote parts of my mind that AGGY has a psychological edge over the Arkansas Razorbacks in football....to do so would shame the great Razorbacks who have gone on before us....the UA owns Texas Tech and Texas A&M from the old SWC and never shall that change...and if Brett keeps losing to Aggy, well, he may need to look for another city to put his baby bed in....I've had it with this losing to A&M....Petrino never did and this year there is no one on the O line to leg-whip Aggy when we run the ball to the one foot line and are about ready to put Aggy back in the Aggy closet from which they come out
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

GoHogs1091

Could be the last season for Sumlin.

It is thought that they could choose A&M Alumnus, Chad Morris, to replace Sumlin.

LSU probably should have hired Morris.  Give Morris elite talent, and it could be scary what he can accomplish.

A&M has the football facilities and the recruiting area to cause havoc in the SEC.  They just need a Head Coach who can actually coach, such as Morris.

Sumlin has really underachieved there.  Too bad we haven't been able to take advantage of their underachieving.

bennyl08

Did we just witness the addition of a third member to the elite circle that Conque and Venables share?

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on April 11, 2017, 11:49:39 pm
Could be the last season for Sumlin.

It is thought that they could choose A&M Alumnus, Chad Morris, to replace Sumlin.

LSU probably should have hired Morris.  Give Morris elite talent, and it could be scary what he can accomplish.

A&M has the football facilities and the recruiting area to cause havoc in the SEC.  They just need a Head Coach who can actually coach, such as Morris.

Sumlin has really underachieved there.  Too bad we haven't been able to take advantage of their underachieving.

A&M hasn't underachieved in recruiting, they have done a good job in that area. But I would agree that he has underachieved with regard to the talent he has had at his disposal.
Go Hogs Go!

Torqued pork

A&M is the same underachieving program it's always been, but it has enough built-in  advantages to never be quite as bad as we want them to be. I will refrain from gloating until we beat them.

1highhog

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on April 10, 2017, 12:06:59 pm
The garbage dumpster also known as Texa$$ A&M caught fire during their annual spring game on Saturday. They've had a revolving door at QB for the past 5 years or so, but it seems to have finally caught up with they finish the spring session with nothing close to a front runner at QB. Jake Hubenak (the only experienced passer on roster) went 8 of 13 for 47 yards, redshirt freshman Nick Starkel went 10 of 27 for 174 yards and 1 TD, and true freshman Kellen Mond was 4 of 12 with 1 TD and 2 INT.

Kevin Sumlin is reported to have skipped out on the media after the game, and im sure you all can guys how well that's going over with members of the media and A&M fans

If things continue in this direction, there is no reason the hogs shouldn't get a "W" over the aggies this fall

Do any of these QB's like to run with the ball?   If so, we'll have our hands full with the Aggies.

Pork Twain

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 10, 2017, 12:20:38 pm
Saban lost QB's Cooper Bateman, David Cornwell and Blake Barnett all within one calendar year and 2 Offensive Coordinator's in 2 months time, I believe.
Are there really that many HCs that are on the level of Saban and deserving of the same faith in product?
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: bennyl08 on April 12, 2017, 01:16:28 am
Did we just witness the addition of a third member to the elite circle that Conque and Venables share?

I'm no scientific rocket, but wouldn't that be a triangle?
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Pork Twain

Quote from: bennyl08 on April 12, 2017, 01:16:28 am
I normally think you and factchecker have some of the best information on this board, but I have to question your indication of there being a circle with three distinctive points.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Pork Twain on April 12, 2017, 06:29:15 am
Are there really that many HCs that are on the level of Saban and deserving of the same faith in product?

No, but I have to admit that is an unusually high turnover rate (especially for Saban) in one position group and one coaching position. It really kind of surprised me.
Go Hogs Go!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Hoggish1 on April 11, 2017, 06:49:55 pm

I believe it. I'm still alive. But numbers don't lie. No nonsense.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Pork Twain

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 12, 2017, 07:01:46 am
No, but I have to admit that is an unusually high turnover rate (especially for Saban) in one position group and one coaching position. It really kind of surprised me.
Except for the fact that they have shown that they do not win or lose based on having an NFL qb.  Add to that, that they have Hurts coming back and have probably upgraded at OC.  The two OC thing was kind of a fluke.

Hoggish1

Quote from: tusked on April 11, 2017, 08:43:53 pm
Stop it with this nonsense !

That record is over a few generations and there's nothing on the table right now that says the Hogs shouldn't beat A/M 2 out of 3.

All it's missing is competent coaching.  Maybe the hogs will get some this year.

I'm not saying we won't beat them.  I'm saying we haven't in the new era since they've joined the SEC. 

Anybody who takes the lifetime record during our time with them in the SWC and says, see..., is not living in reality.

Hoggish1

April 12, 2017, 08:38:36 am #89 Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 12:21:36 pm by Hoggish1
Quote from: Inhogswetrust on April 12, 2017, 07:04:34 am
I believe it. I'm still alive. But numbers don't lie. No nonsense.

My point is there was a complete reset in their thinking when they joined the SEC (Texans can now play in the SEC and stay closer to home than having to go to LSU or Arkansas to play the best competion) and when they showed they were serious about competing when they stopped sucking Texass' tit and put nearly half a billion into a remodeling job on their erector set stadium...

Since then we haven't beaten them even though we should have—twice.  Nevertheless we have not beat them. 

They are 4-0 in the new era.  Those years in the SWC don't count anymore in my book.  But go ahead and count them if it makes you feel better...

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Pork Twain on April 12, 2017, 07:36:52 am
Except for the fact that they have shown that they do not win or lose based on having an NFL qb.  Add to that, that they have Hurts coming back and have probably upgraded at OC.  The two OC thing was kind of a fluke.

Well we know that Hurts can play, we don't know about the others. Hurts was a surprise as a true freshman to gain the starting job but he certainly proved why he did get the job. They just have to hope with the departure of any other experience at QB that he doesn't get hurt.

As for the OC's, yeah flukish in nature but that is what I meant by it surprising me. Never saw Sarkisian bolting that quickly but he didn't do a very good job in the NCG, so maybe that had something to do with it. Well that and maybe Saban's reaction to that. ;)
Go Hogs Go!

311Hog

the QB situation at bama does not even remotely relate to A&M.

Those highly rated QB's left because the other QB's on the roster were BETTER, and Bama more successful with them so writing on the wall they lost the battle time to save their career.

A&M QB's left because the boat was on fire, they were flawed in some way (ego, parents, etc.) it wasn't because they lost a position battle.

In Aggie case, basically everyone ditched because they feared their own interests were being damaged, so each year was a scramble for their coaches.  No such scramble in Bama.   Just pure competition.

Not to mention the QB is the entire offense at A&M and is merely a tool at Bama.

Tusks

Did you guys hear that A/M is going to replace the grass in the new stadium with cardboard ?

Yeah the ags always look better on paper.   

That joke is from 1972 so don't tell me how good the aggies are, they are aggies.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

NuttinItUp

Quote from: tusked on April 12, 2017, 12:52:32 pm
Did you guys hear that A/M is going to replace the grass in the new stadium with cardboard ?

Yeah the ags always look better on paper.   

That joke is from 1972 so don't tell me how good the aggies are, they are aggies.

How do you drown an Aggie?

Put a scratch-and-sniff sticker on the bottom of a pool.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on April 12, 2017, 06:36:52 am
I'm no scientific rocket, but wouldn't that be a triangle?
;D post of the day right there!
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

code red

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on April 10, 2017, 12:06:59 pm
The garbage dumpster also known as Texa$$ A&M caught fire during their annual spring game on Saturday. They've had a revolving door at QB for the past 5 years or so, but it seems to have finally caught up with they finish the spring session with nothing close to a front runner at QB. Jake Hubenak (the only experienced passer on roster) went 8 of 13 for 47 yards, redshirt freshman Nick Starkel went 10 of 27 for 174 yards and 1 TD, and true freshman Kellen Mond was 4 of 12 with 1 TD and 2 INT.

Kevin Sumlin is reported to have skipped out on the media after the game, and im sure you all can guys how well that's going over with members of the media and A&M fans

If things continue in this direction, there is no reason the hogs shouldn't get a "W" over the aggies this fall
For what it is worth...the rest of he squad look good.....real good....no way I would chalk this up as a W.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

NuttinItUp

I think they are spying on us.

https://texags.com/forums/5/topics/2847454

(Note: Don't read if you are easily angered.)

311Hog

lol holy shyt their forums have offical sponsors.....

and "premium" content threads.  Thank you Lanny for not being that.

NuttinItUp

Quote from: 311Hog on April 12, 2017, 04:19:37 pm
lol holy shyt their forums have offical sponsors.....

and "premium" content threads.  Thank you Lanny for not being that.

The comment:
"a lot of Texas kids that can't get into A&M or TU go to Arky."

is the one that got me a little hot under the collar.

311Hog

Quote from: NuttinItUp on April 12, 2017, 04:49:05 pm
The comment:
"a lot of Texas kids that can't get into A&M or TU go to Arky."

is the one that got me a little hot under the collar.

That post was brought to you by Schaefer Lite, Yes it is pisswater.  All Saggies think that or like to propagate that stereo type.