Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What newcomers make a big impact this year?

Started by Hawgboy64, April 07, 2017, 01:56:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawgboy64

I know it's early but, what 3 or 4 newcomers (JC, RS-FR & FR) make the biggest impact this season.
I'm hopeful for Micheal Taylor, LaMicheal Pettway with LaFrance or Jean-Baptiste.
"Of all the things I've lost, my mind is what I miss the most." Mark Twain

HUNGLOWHOG

311Hog

bennyl08

Maleek Williams: We are already good at RB, but since he signed with us, I've been pretty adamant that Maleek isn't going to redshirt, and the coaches have mirrored that opinion. Now, he is going to be a distant third this season, IMO, to Rawleigh and Devwah who I think will be 1a and 1b. However, when RW3 declares for the draft barring an injury or a surprise return, Maleek will have shown enough this season to have nobody questioning the future of the position.

Brandon Martin: The guy reminds me a lot of Brandon Marshall. Not going to be Reed level of fast despite the hand timed reports from his coaches (again, by that reckoning, Mallett is a 4.8 speed kind of guy...). However, 4.5's is what I see in his tape and given his size, that is plenty fast to be a big time player. Coaches have already said he is one of our best route runners as well.

-honorable mentions: Pettway, Stewart, and Jones are going to make people realize that we are going to be better off than before at WR. However, none of them meet the qualifications.

Jeremy Patton: Coming from JUCO, he was very much in the Evan Engram mold of TE's. We'll see how much we can turn him into a more balanced TE, but he should still make a big impact either way. I've heard reports that he also blocked a good amount at JUCO, but his highlights didn't show much blocking and it wasn't phenomenal what they did show. He was small coming out and we are asking him to add some strength to be able to block better at the SEC level. His biggest competition for playing is O'Grady who is the same type of TE as Patton.

DeJon Harris: He doesn't qualify as a newcomer per-se but he is going from a significant playing time reserve to a first time starter this year, and IMO will be the best LB we've had in the past 20+ years. As a true freshmen, he was already grading in the 80's per PFF. For reference, Ragnow, the top rated center in the country typically ranged from 83-89 and IIRC ended the season with an average grade of 87. Now, there's a big difference b/w playing well as a reserve vs as a starter; however, he was doing that as a true freshmen and against the most talented teams we faced.

Curtis: If he is able to redshirt this season, then hold on to your seats because we are going to have a special season. This guy has the athleticism and a similar playing style to projected first round CB adoree jackson out of USC. Whether he will develop into that same caliber of player remains to be seen (i.e. not declaring he will in fact become a potential first rounder, only that I think he does have the potential if he works for it).

Calloway/Curl/Brown: Honestly, I'd be surprised if any of these guys are able to redshirt and would be surprised if by the end of the season, some of them are starting or are in a situation like Harris was last year getting many snaps. Now, I list Curtis separately and Calloway grouped because I think Calloway is a good pure cover corner, but Curtis has more intangibles. Calloway is more of a Pulley/Claiborne kind of player while Curtis is the type of player to start at CB, PR, and play about 20 snaps at receiver over the course of the season just because he can't touch the ball enough. Curl and Brown have a bit tougher job getting playing time at S than the corners we signed due to Liddell, Ramirez, Coley, and RsFr Micah Smith. Curl and Brown are the most physically talented of the lot bar none IMO, but there is a lot of experience ahead of them.

TJ Smith: I think he has a breakout year in the 3-4 as a DE. He isn't the exceptional athlete that Agim is or quite has the size of Guidry, but is a very good blend of strength and explosion as well as having speed. I could see him having a 2015 Wise type of year, where he doesn't actually start very much, but we put him in on third downs and in certain situations and let wreak havoc.

Also, I second Taylor being an important newcomer. His tape reminds me a lot of Wise Jr and Flowers, but he's a bit smaller than either of them which will help when he's dropping back into coverage.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: bennyl08 on April 07, 2017, 02:54:10 pm
Maleek Williams: We are already good at RB, but since he signed with us, I've been pretty adamant that Maleek isn't going to redshirt, and the coaches have mirrored that opinion. Now, he is going to be a distant third this season, IMO, to Rawleigh and Devwah who I think will be 1a and 1b. However, when RW3 declares for the draft barring an injury or a surprise return, Maleek will have shown enough this season to have nobody questioning the future of the position.

Brandon Martin: The guy reminds me a lot of Brandon Marshall. Not going to be Reed level of fast despite the hand timed reports from his coaches (again, by that reckoning, Mallett is a 4.8 speed kind of guy...). However, 4.5's is what I see in his tape and given his size, that is plenty fast to be a big time player. Coaches have already said he is one of our best route runners as well.

-honorable mentions: Pettway, Stewart, and Jones are going to make people realize that we are going to be better off than before at WR. However, none of them meet the qualifications.

Jeremy Patton: Coming from JUCO, he was very much in the Evan Engram mold of TE's. We'll see how much we can turn him into a more balanced TE, but he should still make a big impact either way. I've heard reports that he also blocked a good amount at JUCO, but his highlights didn't show much blocking and it wasn't phenomenal what they did show. He was small coming out and we are asking him to add some strength to be able to block better at the SEC level. His biggest competition for playing is O'Grady who is the same type of TE as Patton.

DeJon Harris: He doesn't qualify as a newcomer per-se but he is going from a significant playing time reserve to a first time starter this year, and IMO will be the best LB we've had in the past 20+ years. As a true freshmen, he was already grading in the 80's per PFF. For reference, Ragnow, the top rated center in the country typically ranged from 83-89 and IIRC ended the season with an average grade of 87. Now, there's a big difference b/w playing well as a reserve vs as a starter; however, he was doing that as a true freshmen and against the most talented teams we faced.

Curtis: If he is able to redshirt this season, then hold on to your seats because we are going to have a special season. This guy has the athleticism and a similar playing style to projected first round CB adoree jackson out of USC. Whether he will develop into that same caliber of player remains to be seen (i.e. not declaring he will in fact become a potential first rounder, only that I think he does have the potential if he works for it).

Calloway/Curl/Brown: Honestly, I'd be surprised if any of these guys are able to redshirt and would be surprised if by the end of the season, some of them are starting or are in a situation like Harris was last year getting many snaps. Now, I list Curtis separately and Calloway grouped because I think Calloway is a good pure cover corner, but Curtis has more intangibles. Calloway is more of a Pulley/Claiborne kind of player while Curtis is the type of player to start at CB, PR, and play about 20 snaps at receiver over the course of the season just because he can't touch the ball enough. Curl and Brown have a bit tougher job getting playing time at S than the corners we signed due to Liddell, Ramirez, Coley, and RsFr Micah Smith. Curl and Brown are the most physically talented of the lot bar none IMO, but there is a lot of experience ahead of them.

TJ Smith: I think he has a breakout year in the 3-4 as a DE. He isn't the exceptional athlete that Agim is or quite has the size of Guidry, but is a very good blend of strength and explosion as well as having speed. I could see him having a 2015 Wise type of year, where he doesn't actually start very much, but we put him in on third downs and in certain situations and let wreak havoc.

Also, I second Taylor being an important newcomer. His tape reminds me a lot of Wise Jr and Flowers, but he's a bit smaller than either of them which will help when he's dropping back into coverage.

I'll just address this part. When I saw that we had signed Maleek Williams I thought, good RB, he'll be an heir apparent to RW III and Whaley, probably R/S his true Freshman year. Then I heard the staff rave about how from a football standpoint, his knowledge of the game, grasping his responsibilities and knowing the offense, having a built-in natural intuition and vision to see holes developing, knowing where to make the cut and to explode with a burst of speed and already knowing how and where to block as a RB (an early failing of many good RB's), was better than anyone they had seen in a long time. Now you can point to a lot of great RB's at Arkansas who have come before him and I am not sure how many of those that you can say all of these things about.

This kid may surprise a lot of people.
Go Hogs Go!

PorkSoda

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

bennyl08

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 07, 2017, 03:29:55 pm
I'll just address this part. When I saw that we had signed Maleek Williams I thought, good RB, he'll be an heir apparent to RW III and Whaley, probably R/S his true Freshman year. Then I heard the staff rave about how from a football standpoint, his knowledge of the game, grasping his responsibilities and knowing the offense, having a built-in natural intuition and vision to see holes developing, knowing where to make the cut and to explode with a burst of speed and already knowing how and where to block as a RB (an early failing of many good RB's), was better than anyone they had seen in a long time. Now you can point to a lot of great RB's at Arkansas who have come before him and I am not sure how many of those that you can say all of these things about.

I saw his tape and saw a great blend of speed, power, and instincts. Projecting his HS tape to the college level, he looked like a mix of JWill and Collins. Able to make himself skinny and emerge full speed from what looks like an impenetrable mass of defenders, and was breaking tackles left and right (which I translate to be able to truck players at college). Plus, he was doing all of that at a big size already, meaning he wouldn't need to learn how to use/control his body at a different size.

Having seen that, it was apparent to me that his physical talent would immediately make him the 3rd best back on our team. The question being, how would he mentally progress tot he college level? That he was able to come here in spring helps tremendously, and that in the first week, coaches are already raving about him, well, can't ask for more than that.

Similarly with Martin. He has the physical tools already. That coaches are also raving about his route running and that he has the spring as well to catch up in other ways, I'd be shocked if he wasn't a major contributor next season. The only way I see him not being the main guy opposite of Cornelius is this player we have by the name of Jordan Jones who is going to be an absolute stud for us as well. As good as I think Brandon Martin is, Jordan Jones isn't going to be a 2nd string receiver without a fight.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

PorkSoda

yeah, I wouldn't be surprised to see a 3rd RB in the mix, expecially if he brings a distinct skill set.

plus we can keep the WWW.touchdownarkansas.com thing going
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

bennyl08

Quote from: PorkSoda on April 07, 2017, 03:34:41 pm
this

I like Curl to play sooner at Safety than Brown.

Brown's play reminds of a SS. Good against the pass, but more of a hard hitter than a guy who is going to get an interception and return it. That isn't a negative in any way. There's a reason there's a SS and a FS. However, I think we have guys like Liddell and Coley who are already pretty good SS's as well, but what we really lack right now is somebody who can be an Earl Thomas for us. Somebody who is good enough to line up as a cornerback and is a ball hawking safety, and that perfectly describes Curl IMO.

PorkSoda

Quote from: bennyl08 on April 07, 2017, 03:47:38 pm
I like Curl to play sooner at Safety than Brown.

Brown's play reminds of a SS. Good against the pass, but more of a hard hitter than a guy who is going to get an interception and return it. That isn't a negative in any way. There's a reason there's a SS and a FS. However, I think we have guys like Liddell and Coley who are already pretty good SS's as well, but what we really lack right now is somebody who can be an Earl Thomas for us. Somebody who is good enough to line up as a cornerback and is a ball hawking safety, and that perfectly describes Curl IMO.
maybe so, but we need depth across the board at DB.  if these guys can play, I expect them to get plenty of minutes so the starters aren't totally worn out by the 4th qtr.  for so long it seems we have struggled to even get a decent first team on the field, then they end up having to play every snap and run out of gas late in the game.

bennyl08

Quote from: PorkSoda on April 07, 2017, 03:45:15 pm
yeah, I wouldn't be surprised to see a 3rd RB in the mix, expecially if he brings a distinct skill set.

plus we can keep the WWW.touchdownarkansas.com thing going

Don't think Maleek brings a particularly distinct skill set. Hammonds does that much better.

However, it's the philosophical debate on offense. Say you have Adrian Peterson, Ezekial Elliot, and Arian Foster each in their prime, along with Danny Woodhead, Michael Bush, and Reggie Bush.

Who are your top 3 touchers of the ball? Well, your top 3 talents aren't even a debate, but they all are somewhat similar runners. You could throw in a Reggie Bush as a change of pace, but do you get rid of Peterson carries to accomplish that?

PorkRinds

The thoughts of Williams, Whaley, and Barkley in the backfield with Hammonds in the slot for those end arounds and jet sweeps makes me a bit Light headed. Not to mention the screen game possibilities. Our offense may just be lights out this year if the OL is coming along as well as Enos seems to think.

bennyl08

Quote from: PorkSoda on April 07, 2017, 03:51:10 pm
maybe so, but we need depth across the board at DB.  if these guys can play, I expect them to get plenty of minutes so the starters aren't totally worn out by the 4th qtr.  for so long it seems we have struggled to even get a decent first team on the field, then they end up having to play every snap and run out of gas late in the game.

I think Calloway, Curtis, Curl, and Brown will all be playing and significantly this season by the end of the season. They are too good not too. However, I think Curtis and Curl have the easiest paths to the most playing time this coming season. Hence, when somebody singles out Brown over all the others, I bring in my comments on the subject.

PorkSoda

Quote from: bennyl08 on April 07, 2017, 03:53:40 pm
I think Calloway, Curtis, Curl, and Brown will all be playing and significantly this season by the end of the season. They are too good not too. However, I think Curtis and Curl have the easiest paths to the most playing time this coming season. Hence, when somebody singles out Brown over all the others, I bring in my comments on the subject.
yeah, looking at the depth chart again, there seems to be more room for corners to get play than safeties, but I did see brown listed as a potential nickleback.  so not sure how that will play out.

PorkSoda

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 07, 2017, 03:52:01 pm
The thoughts of Williams, Whaley, and Barkley in the backfield with Hammonds in the slot for those end arounds and jet sweeps makes me a bit Light headed. Not to mention the screen game possibilities. Our offense may just be lights out this year if the OL is coming along as well as Enos seems to think.
yeah, we are going to need Enos to really step in up a notch with the creativity this year.  he has a senior QB and a lot of tools to work with.  but the SEC  has some good defenses, so we aren't going to get far trying to run straight at them.  we have to find ways to keep them guessing.

RME

Quote from: bennyl08 on April 07, 2017, 02:54:10 pm

Will be very interesting to monitor that throughout the season; he's already pretty highly rated on a couple 2018 NFL draft prospect sites but could run into a (possibly) deep RB class.

RWIII is a damn good running back, no doubt about that. Selfishly I would love to have him back for a senior season, but as you said, the dropoff may be rather minuscule should he declare. If Bielema has continued one thing from his days at Wisconsin, it's production from the running back.

That being said, Brandon Martin excites me. I've always been a fan of big-bodied receivers.