Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

BREAKING: Amauri Hardy, 6-2 PG and 2017 ESPN 4*, confirms Hogs OFFERED today

Started by Kevin McPherson, April 06, 2017, 12:39:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: azhog10 on April 11, 2017, 11:34:53 am
HE's also non-committal on taking visits anywhere else. All we know is he only has one visit scheduled and it's to us which came shortly after an in home visit. Hopefully we can get him to pull the trigger and sign with us during his visit. This would be a huge get. I lived in Michigan for 6 years, and there's something about guards who grew up in the city. They have a completely different skill set and mindset. I think it would be a great fit and someone who could come up big in big games.

Funny you say that, and I agree. I've covered a lot of AAU games over the years, and guards from the metro areas in the Rust Belt and East Coast stand out with a distinctive style that is different than most. Always been that way.

hogwood

Quote from: HOGdayafternoon on April 11, 2017, 11:52:53 am
Funny you say that, and I agree. I've covered a lot of AAU games over the years, and guards from the metro areas in the Rust Belt and East Coast stand out with a distinctive style that is different than most. Always been that way.

Yes, we need more Kareem Reid's...

hogwood

Hardy is a potentially game-changing recruit. To get him in the late period would be impressive. He joins a class with 4 other 4*'s who project to be here together at least 3 years. What a team this 4 could be (Gafford, Garland, Hardy, Hall). This is the kind of building that teams like Villanova do. They get these solid 4* kids and sprinkle in one or two MCDAA's. We could be doing just that. Between 2017 and 2018 - thats a lot of 4*'s. Perry could be our MCDAA!

chiti66

Quote from: hogwood on April 11, 2017, 11:59:47 am
Hardy is a potentially game-changing recruit. To get him in the late period would be impressive. He joins a class with 4 other 4*'s who project to be here together at least 3 years. What a team this 4 could be (Gafford, Garland, Hardy, Hall). This is the kind of building that teams like Villanova do. They get these solid 4* kids and sprinkle in one or two MCDAA's. We could be doing just that. Between 2017 and 2018 - thats a lot of 4*'s. Perry could be our MCDAA!
I could definitely get with this^^^^^^

mbgrulz

Quote from: hogwood on April 11, 2017, 11:59:47 am
I don't know that he is by himself a game changer (maybe/maybe not). What he is, though, is a sign that we are signing the right caliber of player to rise up and out perform our recent past. He will be an awesome piece to go along with 3 other awesome pieces of the 2017 class. We did a lot to put our name out there this year, and the more we can do that, the easier CMA's job gets.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: mbgrulz on April 11, 2017, 12:29:59 pm
I don't know that he is by himself a game changer (maybe/maybe not). What he is, though, is a sign that we are signing the right caliber of player to rise up and out perform our recent past. He will be an awesome piece to go along with 3 other awesome pieces of the 2017 class. We did a lot to put our name out there this year, and the more we can do that, the easier CMA's job gets.
Yep going to need this type player to deliver the NC Mike promised this weekend. I thought that was pretty bold.

Hawg Red

Rounding out a recruiting class in the late period with someone like Amauri Hardy is a far cry from rounding a class out with someone like Dee Wagner or Doobie Jenkins. Would be a strong sign of progress.

azhog10

Quote from: HOGdayafternoon on April 11, 2017, 11:52:53 am
I coached aau in Grand Rapids and my all time best guards were from inner city grand rapids and Detroit metro had some even better than those.

wavybone

Hardy coming in gives us this line-up for 2017-2018.

Barford/Hardy/Glasper
Macon/Beard
Jones/Garland/Hall
Thomas/Bailey/Cook/Hazen
Gafford/Thompson

There's a lot of interchangeable parts among the guards there. I could see Garland playing over Beard at the 2 but since Beard wouldn't be able to play the 3, that's why I put Garland there. I also put Darious Hall as a 3 because of the glut of 4's we have. Could see him getting minutes there.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: rude1 on April 10, 2017, 06:53:14 pm
^^Agree with this. Yes we are finally getting better players, but has the recruiting really got better? We are getting players with ties to the state, nothing wrong with this except for the fact that these things tend to be cyclical, and what happens after the in state talent drops off? I would like to see the staff expand their reach and show they can build relationships outside the state and land quality players base off those relationships build, we haven't seen this yet.

You can't complain about players leaving and then claim that it's not big deal when we land all 3 of the state's top players. Seems like the losses of Goodwin, Monk, Allen, and Curry speak to the fact that landing instate talent is not easy.

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: ShadowHawg on April 11, 2017, 02:27:13 pm
You can't complain about players leaving and then claim that it's not big deal when we land all 3 of the state's top players. Seems like the losses of Goodwin, Monk, Allen, and Curry speak to the fact that landing instate talent is not easy.

Just a friendly FYI: Curry is not an in-state kid, he is from Memphis ... and his Mom is very adamant when folks throw Eric in the mix as an example of an Arkansas kid who got away. 

ShadowHawg

Quote from: HOGdayafternoon on April 11, 2017, 02:40:15 pm
Just a friendly FYI: Curry is not an in-state kid, he is from Memphis ... and his Mom is very adamant when folks throw Eric in the mix as an example of an Arkansas kid who got away.

I understand but many on here were claiming him as one during the recruiting process.

The_Iceman

Quote from: wavybone on April 11, 2017, 01:04:52 pm
Hardy coming in gives us this line-up for 2017-2018.

Barford/Hardy/Glasper
Macon/Beard
Jones/Garland/Hall
Thomas/Bailey/Cook/Hazen
Gafford/Thompson

There's a lot of interchangeable parts among the guards there. I could see Garland playing over Beard at the 2 but since Beard wouldn't be able to play the 3, that's why I put Garland there. I also put Darious Hall as a 3 because of the glut of 4's we have. Could see him getting minutes there.

Beard is really gonna have to step up his game, or he will get left behind if Hardy commits. I know since he is a Senior, Mike will play Beard until he is absolutely forced to play someone else.

Hardy, Garland, CJ Jones, and Hall will be vital experienced pieced in 2018 with the addition of Joe and Sills, and possibly Hill. With Hill's youth, he would be well served platooning with Hardy at PG.

The_Iceman

Quote from: HOGdayafternoon on April 11, 2017, 02:40:15 pm

Not much difference. We should land a kid like him. Border city, went to school in Arkansas.

Swinesong1

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 11, 2017, 03:15:48 pm
Not much difference. We should land a kid like him. Border city, went to school in Arkansas.
Like Reggie Perry?

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: ShadowHawg on April 11, 2017, 02:56:18 pm
I understand but many on here were claiming him as one during the recruiting process.

I understand that, have seen others say the same thing so wasn't trying to single you out and make you wrong, but since that whole idea that Curry is an Arkansas kid is simply not true, I wanted to make sure we clarify and get it right. Mladen Armus and Gabe Osahuobien, for example, play for the same AR HS team as Curry did, but those guy are not Arkansas kids, either.

Swinesong1

Quote from: HOGdayafternoon on April 11, 2017, 03:17:50 pm
I understand that, have seen others say the same thing so wasn't trying to single you out and make you wrong, but since that whole idea that Curry is an Arkansas kid is simply not true, I wanted to make sure we clarify and get it right. Mladen Armus and Gabe Osahuobien, for example, play for the same AR HS team as Curry did, but those guy are not Arkansas kids, either.
They need this narrative and you're ruining it.  Lol

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: Swinesong1 on April 11, 2017, 03:17:09 pm
Like Reggie Perry?

Reggie Perry actually lived in Arkansas and grew up playing with the Hawks before moving away, and when asked, he'll tell you he considers himself an Arkansan. That is not the same thing.

Swinesong1

Quote from: HOGdayafternoon on April 11, 2017, 03:19:13 pm
Reggie Perry actually lived in Arkansas and grew up playing with the Hawks before moving away, and when asked, he'll tell you he considers himself an Arkansan. That is not the same thing.
Im well aware of Perry's history.  My point is, the same people who attack Anderson for letting a player "get away", won't give him credit for "bringing one back".

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 11, 2017, 03:15:48 pm

Respectfully disagree. How many Memphis kids grow up associating the Hogs as their home-state school like most Arkansas kids do? None. Hogs got into Memphis for awhile when Nolan was here, and have gotten a few out since, but that was about playing for him and not the logo. Memphis kids are as loyal to the hometown Tigers as most Arkansas kids have been to the Hogs.

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: Swinesong1 on April 11, 2017, 03:21:01 pm
Im well aware of Perry's history.  My point is, the same people who attack Anderson for letting a player "get away", won't give him credit for "bringing one back".

Ah, gotcha. Sorry bout that.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: HOGdayafternoon on April 11, 2017, 03:17:50 pm

I agree whole heartedly. I also think there is nearly no advantage for the U of A either because these kids aren't living in Fayetteville while they play in state. Even though they are inside the borders of our state they have almost zero exposure to the actual location and environment surrounding the University.

swinesation

Pinto

Quote from: azhog10 on April 11, 2017, 11:34:53 am
HE's also non-committal on taking visits anywhere else. All we know is he only has one visit scheduled and it's to us which came shortly after an in home visit. Hopefully we can get him to pull the trigger and sign with us during his visit. This would be a huge get. I lived in Michigan for 6 years, and there's something about guards who grew up in the city. They have a completely different skill set and mindset. I think it would be a great fit and someone who could come up big in big games.

Detroit guards are def tough, blue collar type players. Kind of like Barford

rude1

Quote from: ShadowHawg on April 11, 2017, 02:27:13 pm
Are you saying landing in state talent isn't much easier than landing out of state talent? What we have here is a group of in state kids who have played together in AAU ball who want to continue to play together in college. You can have a good era doing this, but you can't sustain the program IMO if you don't get your brand outside these borders and start landing 4* type talent outside these borders.

Pinto

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 11, 2017, 12:52:49 pm
Rounding out a recruiting class in the late period with someone like Amauri Hardy is a far cry from rounding a class out with someone like Dee Wagner or Doobie Jenkins. Would be a strong sign of progress.

Agreed! We're finally getting guys who can compete with anyone. I loved Manny but you can't expect to be consistent with players of his caliber playing quality minutes

ShadowHawg

Quote from: rude1 on April 11, 2017, 07:22:36 pm
Are you saying landing in state talent isn't much easier than landing out of state talent? What we have here is a group of in state kids who have played together in AAU ball who want to continue to play together in college. You can have a good era doing this, but you can't sustain the program IMO if you don't get your brand outside these borders and start landing 4* type talent outside these borders.

I am saying you are playing both sides of the fence and it's bs of the highest order.

Just this past season we had how many Arkansas kids? Beard, Macon, Trey, Hannahs, and Watkins.

How many roster spots are there?

Your narrative that we don't/can't recruit out of state really doesn't hold water.

Just about every big time out of state player we have ever had either had ties to the state, previous ties to the coach, or were a grade/character risk. It's hardly unique to MA.

azhog10

Quote from: ShadowHawg on April 11, 2017, 11:18:59 pm
I am saying you are playing both sides of the fence and it's bs of the highest order.

Just this past season we had how many Arkansas kids? Beard, Macon, Trey, Hannahs, and Watkins.

How many roster spots are there?

Your narrative that we don't/can't recruit out of state really doesn't hold water.

Just about every big time out of state player we have ever had either had ties to the state, previous ties to the coach, or were a grade/character risk. It's hardly unique to MA.
Bailey and Hazen both have no ties to Arkansas. CJ is from Birmingham but not from Arkansas and didn't play for the wings.

HardingHog

Quote from: rude1 on April 11, 2017, 07:22:36 pm

Though I do agree we need to be consistently good recruiters and have the ability to go out and get a couple 4 star guys when we need to; that might not even be necessary for the next few years. Just looking at the future of our recruiting:
2017: we have 1 spot and it'll probably go/have to go to an out of state guy
2018: 2 scholarships available and both could go to out state guys and we're on several good ones all in the 4 star category at the moment (but 1 may go to Justice Hill potentially if he reclassified up a semester)
2019: I think we have 1 open scholarship. If he doesn't reclassify, then that's Hill's scholarship. However, it could very well go to McBride at Baptist Prep or Javon Franklin if he's a JUCO transfer that year (Both obviously "Arkansas ties" guys)
2020: I don't know/haven't looked at potential scholarship numbers (plus who knows who will leave for whatever reason between then and now) but theres several kids in that class who are easily major D1 level talent, so it's unlikely we'll get anyone not connected to Arkansas then either

So, yes, we need to establish a brand/level of consistency in recruiting to go out and get high level out of state talent, but it just won't really be very necessary for the next several years. By my count, we might only have at most 3 non-Arkansan signees until the 2021 class

The_Iceman

Quote from: azhog10 on April 12, 2017, 12:07:01 am
Bailey and Hazen both have no ties to Arkansas. CJ is from Birmingham but not from Arkansas and didn't play for the wings.

He said "big time" recruit.

Hawg Red

Quote from: azhog10 on April 12, 2017, 12:07:01 am

Would you consider them "big time" recruits, though?

azhog10

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 12, 2017, 06:41:12 am
Would you consider them "big time" recruits, though?
No, although CJ and Bailey both look to have been underrated. Hazen was maybe one of the best late signees ratings wise we've had in a while.

hawginbigd1

Interesting development, that Hardy is coming for a visit this week, and we cancelled Weathers visit. HMMMMM....maybe nothing other than they decided Weathers wasn't a good fit, but 1 can hope.

The_Iceman

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on April 12, 2017, 10:16:36 am
Interesting development, that Hardy is coming for a visit this week, and we cancelled Weathers visit. HMMMMM....maybe nothing other than they decided Weathers wasn't a good fit, but 1 can hope.

I think him having to sit out a year is the bigger problem, especially if Hill is gonna reclassify to 2018.

The_Iceman

Quote from: azhog10 on April 12, 2017, 08:51:26 am
No, although CJ and Bailey both look to have been underrated. Hazen was maybe one of the best late signees ratings wise we've had in a while.

How were they underrated? They seem to be rated about perfectly. Both will probably contribute slightly more next year, then really break out by their junior year. Typical development cycle for a 3 star.

Also, Hazen contributed as much or maybe less than Dee Wagner. Hazen didn't even have a "Syracuse" game. How can you make any determination of him with how little he played?

Hawg Red

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 12, 2017, 10:33:52 am
How were they underrated? They seem to be rated about perfectly. Both will probably contribute slightly more next year, then really break out by their junior year. Typical development cycle for a 3 star.

Also, Hazen contributed as much or maybe less than Dee Wagner. Hazen didn't even have a "Syracuse" game. How can you make any determination of him with how little he played?

Hazen contributed decidedly less than Dee Wagner.

azhog10

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 12, 2017, 10:33:52 am

Underrated may be the wrong term but definitely under-recruited. Hazen contributed "less" due to being on a much better team. Dee played on an NIT team his first year. He played less minutes than a walk-on guard that was on the team. I really don't think I should even have to explain  the difference between the two. Not to mention multiple D1 schools wanted Brachen in the late signing period. I don't think Dee even had another D1 offer.

Bailey played a heck of a game against UNC who is filled with 4 and 5 star recruits. CJ didn't get a lot of time but he shined in the Spain trip and also had moments this season. HE just happened to be behind three really good guards and two veteran guards that are very good defenders. Considering UT Chattanooga was his only other option I think it's safe to say he was very under recruited and very under rated.

But this is all opinion and only time will tell. Just as you disagree with them being under rated, it's your opinion.

hawginbigd1

King Kong

azhog10

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 12, 2017, 10:36:05 am
Hazen contributed decidedly less than Dee Wagner.
While also having to play behind a SR, JR, RS JR, Juco Jr, and a Fr. I don't think Dee had even close to the same amount of competition. Dee's sophomore year he played less minutes than Hazen did this year.

Hawg Red

Quote from: azhog10 on April 12, 2017, 10:42:08 am
Underrated may be the wrong term but definitely under-recruited. Hazen contributed "less" due to being on a much better team. Dee played on an NIT team his first year. He played less minutes than a walk-on guard that was on the team. I really don't think I should even have to explain  the difference between the two. Not to mention multiple D1 schools wanted Brachen in the late signing period. I don't think Dee even had another D1 offer.

Bailey played a heck of a game against UNC who is filled with 4 and 5 star recruits. CJ didn't get a lot of time but he shined in the Spain trip and also had moments this season. HE just happened to be behind three really good guards and two veteran guards that are very good defenders. Considering UT Chattanooga was his only other option I think it's safe to say he was very under recruited and very under rated.

But this is all opinion and only time will tell. Just as you disagree with them being under rated, it's your opinion.

The original statement was about getting "big time" recruits from outside the state. That just doesn't apply to Jones, Hazen or Bailey. They are/could be good recruits but they aren't the kind of player ShadowHog was talking about.

Hawg Red

Quote from: azhog10 on April 12, 2017, 10:45:28 am
While also having to play behind a SR, JR, RS JR, Juco Jr, and a Fr. I don't think Dee had even close to the same amount of competition. Dee's sophomore year he played less minutes than Hazen did this year.

First off, my statement was fact and not a position or opinion on the quality of player Hazen is. Hazen is a better college prospect than Wagner, without question.

Dee played behind Mardracus Wade, Rashad Madden, B.J. Young, Anthlon Bell, and Rickey Scott. Qualls, too, if you're counting him as a guard. All were underclassmen but much more talented than Dee.

azhog10

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 12, 2017, 10:50:36 am
First off, my statement was fact and not a position or opinion on the quality of player Hazen is. Hazen is a better college prospect than Wagner, without question.

Dee played behind Mardracus Wade, Rashad Madden, B.J. Young, Anthlon Bell, and Rickey Scott. Qualls, too, if you're counting him as a guard. All were underclassmen but much more talented than Dee.
My opinion commnet was not attached to the comparison of Wagner and Hazen's first year. It is also "fact" this this years team was much better than that team Wagner played on his first season. As a matter of fact his second year would be a closer comparison, which is also the year Wagner logged less minutes than Hazen did this year.

I missed the comment about "big time" recruits.

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on April 12, 2017, 10:16:36 am

Pretty simple math, really ... Weathers is likely following his coach that was fired at Miami (OH) and hired at OKSt, while the former OKSt commit Hardy is now looking for other options that the Hogs hope works out for them.

Here's the latest from Amauri ...

https://twitter.com/ARHoopScoop/status/852206078137954304

https://twitter.com/ARHoopScoop/status/852206720843735042

The_Iceman

Quote from: HOGdayafternoon on April 12, 2017, 12:20:22 pm
Pretty simple math, really ... Weathers is likely following his coach that was fired at Miami (OH) and hired at OKSt, while the former OKSt commit Hardy is now looking for other options that the Hogs hope works out for them.

Here's the latest from Amauri ...

https://twitter.com/ARHoopScoop/status/852206078137954304

https://twitter.com/ARHoopScoop/status/852206720843735042

This would be a home run late period signee. Let's hope BWA, the practice facility, and the Jerry Jones Center blow him away.

I don't think we necessarily need someone in this class unless someone leaves. So I'm glad we are being picky.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: Rock City Razorback on April 12, 2017, 12:00:29 pm
Hazen has more ability and potential than either Wagner or Jenkins. If you can't see that, well sorry because it must be hard to be that dumb. Wagner was a bit of a reach solely due to his size, but was a great HS player. Jenkins should have never been brought in, just a body to fill the roster.
I love all this potential people see with Hazen while he literally did absolutely nothing, zero, nada, zilch noteworthy in his time on the floor, except look like he doesn't fit into what we want to do......but yea other than that he looked great.

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on April 12, 2017, 04:25:51 pm
I love all this potential people see with Hazen while he literally did absolutely nothing, zero, nada, zilch noteworthy in his time on the floor, except look like he doesn't fit into what we want to do......but yea other than that he looked great.

You know who else did nothing their freshman year? Trey Thompson.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on April 12, 2017, 04:25:51 pm

CMA has talked up Hazen's potential on multiple occasions this past season. I am looking forward to seeing what the kid can do.