Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

BREAKING: Amauri Hardy, 6-2 PG and 2017 ESPN 4*, confirms Hogs OFFERED today

Started by Kevin McPherson, April 06, 2017, 12:39:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

niels_boar

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on April 12, 2017, 04:25:51 pm
I love all this potential people see with Hazen while he literally did absolutely nothing, zero, nada, zilch noteworthy in his time on the floor, except look like he doesn't fit into what we want to do......but yea other than that he looked great.

Playing a little in mopup time is no way to judge how he does or does not fit in.  At Mizzou CMA had Laurence Bowers go from 7 minutes and 3 points a game as a frosh to 23 and 10 as a soph.  Hazen had a bevy of upperclassmen getting minutes in any role that he could fill from hybrid F to wing.  Bailey got some time because he was athletically unique on the roster.  If the staff wants to keep Hazen on the roster, that should be some indication that they believe he will develop into a rotation player, perhaps sooner than later.  They have seen him play a lot more than any of us have.  He's a complete unknown to us.
The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: FineAsSwine on April 12, 2017, 05:27:01 pm
CMA has talked up Hazen's potential on multiple occasions this past season. I am looking forward to seeing what the kid can do.
I am going to remain skeptically optimistic, what I saw was a nice sized player who looks to have the potential of being a + shooter, but does not fit our style of play.

Any coach in the country who has taken heat for recruiting not going to talk up an 11th hour signee?

Hollywood_HOGan45

Davor Rimac did zero his first two years then was a key player on the national title and national runner up teams.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on April 12, 2017, 06:33:11 pm
Davor Rimac did zero his first two years then was a key player on the national title and national runner up teams.

Exactly. Hazen is the second coming of Rimac. They are almost identical.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on April 12, 2017, 06:33:11 pm

He had no impact on the NC and very little on the R up team.  Some of you romanticize and reach so much. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

rude1

Quote from: ShadowHawg on April 11, 2017, 11:18:59 pm
I am saying you are playing both sides of the fence and it's bs of the highest order.

Just this past season we had how many Arkansas kids? Beard, Macon, Trey, Hannahs, and Watkins.

How many roster spots are there?

Your narrative that we don't/can't recruit out of state really doesn't hold water.

Just about every big time out of state player we have ever had either had ties to the state, previous ties to the coach, or were a grade/character risk. It's hardly unique to MA.
Ignore it if it makes you feel good, but name me that highly rated high school or prep player that we have went out and beaten the good programs head to head for their services? Until this crop of in state talent came along our high school/prep recruiting had been abysmal to be honest. On another note, Ron Huery, Todd Day, Kareem Reid, Derrick Hood, Glendon Alexander, Corey Beck, Dwight Stewart etc. were these players in state, relatives, or kids of close friends?

hawg66

Beck and Stewart weren't considered big time recruits. Good yes but not considered elite. Alexander was related to Nolan if I remember right. Hood and Reid came after the NC.  Darnell Robinson would be a better example of a big time out of state recruit and even he came after a final four and elite eight. If MA has that kind of success in the tourney I'd expect his recruiting to pick up

Swinesong1

Quote from: Rock City Razorback on April 12, 2017, 04:41:51 pm
Clearly you don't understand the word POTENTIAL. He's tall with the ability to shoot. And again, I said more so than Wagner and Jenkins. You're honestly telling me he doesn't have a much better chance at being far superior to either of those 2?
He may very well be an asset.  But, what ability to shoot did he show you in his limited minutes?   Seriously!   http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/brachen-hazen-1.html

rude1

Quote from: hawg66 on April 12, 2017, 09:11:21 pm
Beck and Stewart weren't considered big time recruits. Good yes but not considered elite. Alexander was related to Nolan if I remember right. Hood and Reid came after the NC.  Darnell Robinson would be a better example of a big time out of state recruit and even he came after a final four and elite eight. If MA has that kind of success in the tourney I'd expect his recruiting to pick up
Beck and Stewart were considered 4* recruits, and NO Alexander was of no relationship to Nolan. The point is, claiming that we always had to rely on in state recruits or kinship is just WRONG.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: rude1 on April 12, 2017, 10:35:51 pm
Beck and Stewart were considered 4* recruits, and NO Alexander was of no relationship to Nolan. The point is, claiming that we always had to rely on in state recruits or kinship is just WRONG.

Guvhog, is that you?

Beck and especially Stewart were not 4 star recruits. Stewart used to play in the hyper during the year he sat out with Beck. He was sorry. He became much better obviously.

Can you provide proof of their ratings? Do you have an old Street and Smith's laying around? I find it hard to believe that two jucos who only played one season at that before leaving school were rated at all.

Always is a term of hyperbole. Most of the time would be correct about personal ties and in state kids going all the way back to Sutton.

niels_boar

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on April 12, 2017, 07:45:58 pm
He had no impact on the NC and very little on the R up team.  Some of you romanticize and reach so much.

Not exactly true.  On the NC team he scored 8+ points in six SEC games.  He didn't do much in the NCAAT in '94, but in '95 he knocked down a couple of treys in both the EE and National Semifinal.  He played double figure minutes in all but the first round, including 15+ in the above games.  In his final two seasons Rimac averaged 11 minutes, a trey on 41% arc shooting, a couple of rebounds, an assist, and a steal per game.  I'm sure CNR considered those productive minutes in that system. Dillard only played 12 minutes a game as well. I'll be pretty happy if we get that out of Hazen next season.
The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: rude1 on April 12, 2017, 08:01:11 pm
Ignore it if it makes you feel good, but name me that highly rated high school or prep player that we have went out and beaten the good programs head to head for their services? Until this crop of in state talent came along our high school/prep recruiting had been abysmal to be honest. On another note, Ron Huery, Todd Day, Kareem Reid, Derrick Hood, Glendon Alexander, Corey Beck, Dwight Stewart etc. were these players in state, relatives, or kids of close friends?

Todd.Day's step dad had a history with members of the staff which is why we took DJ Anderson, his step brother to get Day. Glendon Alexander's dad was a long time friend of Nolan's from when he coached in Texas.

Beck and Stewart weren't highly sought after. Neither was Thurman for that matter.

Darnell's grandmother had met Nolan while he was at Tulsa and loved him. She lived in Tulsa and talked Darnell into coming here.

What I don't hear from you is about all the guys that DIDN'T come that were highly sought after who we spent a lot of time recruiting.

You are also comparing 17 years to 6. Poor.

Moses could have gone to some big time programs. People s try to discount Moses for playing summer bball with Portis while ignoring that he went to Huntington Prep where he was courted by plenty of strong programs.  Barford was being projected to Louisville by some on 247.

Do you pay attention at all or do you actively ignore things that don't fit your narrative?

jry04

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on April 12, 2017, 04:25:51 pm
I love all this potential people see with Hazen while he literally did absolutely nothing, zero, nada, zilch noteworthy in his time on the floor, except look like he doesn't fit into what we want to do......but yea other than that he looked great.
How did Moses look his first year? Mike Washington? Ky Madden?

Writing a 4 year player off because of how he plays in garbage time as a freshman on a NCAAT team is ignorant. Go to a game and watch him in warmups. He is about 6'8" and can hit 10-15 threes in a row in pre-game. He does some surprisingly acrobatic dunks. He is athletic and can shoot. When he got in the game he looked scared and lost, but he also isn't expected to contribute for 2-3 years. Nobody knows if he will or won't be good, because it is too early to tell right now, but he definitely looks like he has POTENTIAL. I am not sure anyone is saying he is good, or will be good, just that he has potential to be. When you watch him and CJ in pre-game you really do wonder how they never see the floor at times because they look the part when they aren't actually in the game.

Swinesong1

ChicoHog

Maybe I'm missing something but we lost 3 seniors; Hannahs, Watkins and Kingsley, and have 3 coming in who have already signed letters of intent.  Where is this extra schollie coming from? 

Razorod

We only had 12 on scholarship this year, so we have had four to give all year.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

Hawg Red

Quote from: ChicoHog on April 13, 2017, 09:23:25 am
Maybe I'm missing something but we lost 3 seniors; Hannahs, Watkins and Kingsley, and have 3 coming in who have already signed letters of intent.  Where is this extra schollie coming from?

Never filled Doobie Jenkin's spot after he transferred before last season.

hawg66

Quote from: ShadowHawg on April 12, 2017, 11:02:20 pm
Guvhog, is that you?

Beck and especially Stewart were not 4 star recruits. Stewart used to play in the hyper during the year he sat out with Beck. He was sorry. He became much better obviously.

Can you provide proof of their ratings? Do you have an old Street and Smith's laying around? I find it hard to believe that two jucos who only played one season at that before leaving school were rated at all.

Always is a term of hyperbole. Most of the time would be correct about personal ties and in state kids going all the way back to Sutton.

Thanks. I knew there was a relationship with Alexander. Couldn't remember exactly. And no one was jumping up and down over Beck and Stewart when they signed. We were glad to see the Hogs getting good players at positions of need but they were no more highly regarded nationally than typical JUCOs and less so than Barford.

navyhog24

Quote from: hawg66 on April 13, 2017, 09:52:05 am
Thanks. I knew there was a relationship with Alexander. Couldn't remember exactly. And no one was jumping up and down over Beck and Stewart when they signed. We were glad to see the Hogs getting good players at positions of need but they were no more highly regarded nationally than typical JUCOs and less so than Barford.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: jry04 on April 13, 2017, 08:29:14 am
How did Moses look his first year? Mike Washington? Ky Madden?

Writing a 4 year player off because of how he plays in garbage time as a freshman on a NCAAT team is ignorant. Go to a game and watch him in warmups. He is about 6'8" and can hit 10-15 threes in a row in pre-game. He does some surprisingly acrobatic dunks. He is athletic and can shoot. When he got in the game he looked scared and lost, but he also isn't expected to contribute for 2-3 years. Nobody knows if he will or won't be good, because it is too early to tell right now, but he definitely looks like he has POTENTIAL. I am not sure anyone is saying he is good, or will be good, just that he has potential to be. When you watch him and CJ in pre-game you really do wonder how they never see the floor at times because they look the part when they aren't actually in the game.
Mia Culpa, anyway when is Hardy getting in today?

hawginbigd1

Razorod

FineAsSwine

Hogs up! Covid down!

Hogginintheville

He committed to OSU after his visit there and he hadn't taken any other visits. Hope we have a similar impact.

The_Iceman

King Kong

Quote from: Hogginintheville on April 13, 2017, 12:51:13 pm
He committed to OSU after his visit there and he hadn't taken any other visits. Hope we have a similar impact.

He visited Georgia Tech back in September. But currently we appear to be the team pursuing him the hardest

The_Iceman

Quote from: King Kong on April 13, 2017, 01:12:26 pm
He visited Georgia Tech back in September. But currently we appear to be the team pursuing him the hardest

Great news. He will be a great addition. On 247, he will bump us from 33rd to 26th in the country, which is right where we need to be.

forrest city joe

Did he make it in last night? any word on how his visit is going?would love to add him to the team.

Pinto

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 13, 2017, 01:00:06 pm
The recent video I saw of him confirms this. However, he looked thicker than 185.

I agree. I think he has the frame to put on mass like Barford did. They are very similar but Hardy has better PG instincts.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Pinto on April 13, 2017, 01:37:39 pm
I agree. I think he has the frame to put on mass like Barford did. They are very similar but Hardy has better PG instincts.

Barford better scorer, Hardy better distributor. But similar body type for sure.

ChicoHog

We need a guy who thinks pass first and penetrate and kick to Macon, Barford or another shooter. 

The_Iceman

Quote from: ChicoHog on April 13, 2017, 02:31:15 pm
We need a guy who thinks pass first and penetrate and kick to Macon, Barford or another shooter.

I think Hardy can be that guy. Plus with a little scoring when we need it. It's just sad Beard has never adopted this mentality.

Hog in LR

Quote from: ShadowHawg on April 13, 2017, 12:11:33 am
Todd.Day's step dad had a history with members of the staff which is why we took DJ Anderson, his step brother to get Day. Glendon Alexander's dad was a long time friend of Nolan's from when he coached in Texas.

Beck and Stewart weren't highly sought after. Neither was Thurman for that matter.

Darnell's grandmother had met Nolan while he was at Tulsa and loved him. She lived in Tulsa and talked Darnell into coming here.

What I don't hear from you is about all the guys that DIDN'T come that were highly sought after who we spent a lot of time recruiting.

You are also comparing 17 years to 6. Poor.

Moses could have gone to some big time programs. People s try to discount Moses for playing summer bball with Portis while ignoring that he went to Huntington Prep where he was courted by plenty of strong programs.  Barford was being projected to Louisville by some on 247.

Do you pay attention at all or do you actively ignore things that don't fit your narrative?

Lee Mayberry's sister was married to Nolan III (Notes). 

RealHog

If we land Hardy this will be a very successful class IMO. Weve been needing to land a good PG for awhile now.

The_Iceman

Quote from: RealHog on April 14, 2017, 12:49:22 am
If we land Hardy this will be a very successful class IMO. Weve been needing to land a good PG for awhile now.

It is a success already. Hardy would put it over the top.

Razorod

Quote from: hogwood on April 14, 2017, 05:10:18 am
Love his T shirt! That's hog mentality!
Looks like he belongs already. Really would be a nice finishing touch to this class.

Hardy + no unwanted attrition = good basketball next season. Should be a tourney team with a very legit shot to get out of the first weekend of the NCAA's.

Pinto

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 13, 2017, 02:00:14 pm
Barford better scorer, Hardy better distributor. But similar body type for sure.

Well yeah Barford is a better scorer now but Hardy has potential to be a better scorer when he becomes a junior than Barford was. They both seem to have that pitbull mentality though.

Hogimus Prime

Big need cause after this next season Garland would be the only experinced guard returning

navyhog24

Quote from: Hogimus Prime on April 14, 2017, 07:11:41 am
Big need cause after this next season Garland would be the only experinced guard returning

CJ Jones says hi

Pinto

The_Iceman

Quote from: Pinto on April 14, 2017, 07:52:24 am
I think he means one who is comfortable with running an offense

Correcr. Garland can play all 3 guard spots. CJ is strickly a wing. Having Hardy would help the transition between 2017 and 2018.

Little Lady Back

Would be a great addition to this already outstanding class. Come on Amauri, be a Hog!!
#NolanRichardsonCourt

Hogimus Prime

Quote from: navyhog24 on April 14, 2017, 07:41:24 am
CJ Jones says hi

I should've said ballhandler.  CJ Jones isn't a guard that is going to drive to create for someone else.  He isnt a pg, or a combo guard more of a wing guard.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: navyhog24 on April 14, 2017, 07:41:24 am
CJ Jones says hi

we need guards that can defend and score... having a facilitator with experience while we wait on the 18 class is an easy decision.. in our system, we need 5 guards that can play... 6 feet to 6'5" .. ..

Pinto

We need a guard on that second unit who's going to take the ball away from Beard lol. Just let Beard spot up and hit the three ball

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Pinto on April 14, 2017, 08:42:07 am
We need a guard on that second unit who's going to take the ball away from Beard lol. Just let Beard spot up and hit the three ball

;D

It has been a mixed bag.  But things may come together for him in his senior season.

This recruit is a good improvement from the usual low hanging fruit reaches we have been accustomed to chasing.  Nice to benefit from Ok St's turnover. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

The_Iceman

Quote from: Pinto on April 14, 2017, 08:42:07 am

I'm just not sure Beard brings enough value in that role. He needs to focus on driving with the intent to distribute. He finishes well on the break, but in the half court setting it is another story.

If I was Beard, I would focus this off-season on 3 things:
1) continuing to improve on finishing on the break
2) driving to distribute in the half court
3) getting his 3pt% close to 40%