Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

who else thinks the Ref's Get more involved to help NC win ?

Started by tophawg19, April 03, 2017, 09:33:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

010HogFan

Quote from: hogsanity on April 05, 2017, 01:14:18 pm
No, its much easier to make a broad claim and provide not facts to back it up.

Now here we may have some common ground. College basketball is just ugly right now for the most part. Players still can not adjust to the freedom of movement rules, they still try to draw charges under the basket in the restricted area, play in the lane turning back into anything goes. Teams like Virginia are just ugly to watch. SC was ugly most of the year ( please do not confuse ugly with not being effective, both won a lot of games being ugly ) FLA is not the prettiest team to watch either sometimes.

There's been a huge gap between us and the blue bloods but this season either showed that we are closer to the level we need to be at or the blue bloods weren't as good as usual. or maybe a little of both. This is the first year I have really felt like we were somewhat close to competing for a title and also that our style, if cleaned up a bit, could have gotten us to that point. It might just be a perfect time for us to rise up and really take advantage of the sloppy play if that is what it takes to win now.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: hogsanity on April 05, 2017, 09:06:13 am
I do not think there is a ref alive that has not had that feeling. But that is far different than the things thrown around here of intentional bias, or down right corruption.

So you think Pelphrey's buddy calling that bogus foul when Harris blocked that shot at Florida wasn't intentional bias or corruption?

I have personally witnessed outright cheating by officials and umps. What do you call it when the home plate ump calls pitches strikes that literally bounced out in front of the plate and just happened to be very good friends with the father of the other team's catcher?

Or when a basketball team plays a road game where two officials were banned from calling games at the visitors' home gym and the free throw totals are 41-8 against the visitors?

Or how about a kid that was tagged out 3 feet in front of home plate being called safe because he was tagged too hard and the ump making the call just happened to be an assistant coach on the kid's team the previous year?

These are not imagination. They also are not the only examples in the history of sports.

hogsanity

Quote from: ShadowHawg on April 06, 2017, 12:31:39 am
So you think Pelphrey's buddy calling that bogus foul when Harris blocked that shot at Florida wasn't intentional bias or corruption?

I have personally witnessed outright cheating by officials and umps. What do you call it when the home plate ump calls pitches strikes that literally bounced out in front of the plate and just happened to be very good friends with the father of the other team's catcher?

Or when a basketball team plays a road game where two officials were banned from calling games at the visitors' home gym and the free throw totals are 41-8 against the visitors?

Or how about a kid that was tagged out 3 feet in front of home plate being called safe because he was tagged too hard and the ump making the call just happened to be an assistant coach on the kid's team the previous year?

These are not imagination. They also are not the only examples in the history of sports.

Other than the Pelphrey mention, what level are these other examples from?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

ShadowHawg

Quote from: hogsanity on April 06, 2017, 08:33:28 am
Other than the Pelphrey mention, what level are these other examples from?

Highschool

Thing is people are people. While I firmly believe that this is much less likely to happen at higher levels of competition, it is still happening. I seriously doubt that Pel's friend is the lone example at the collegiate level.

Anyone that can remember when the Hogs played in the SWC should know that refs are quite capable of intentionally screwing teams. I will never forget the bogus pass interference penalty in Dallas against SMU that cost us the conference championship.

Refs are just people after all, subject to the same temptations and imperfections as the rest of us.