Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bielema... Yay or nay?

Started by LZH, April 01, 2017, 09:15:51 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hogcard1964

Quote from: GuvHog on April 01, 2017, 06:22:50 pm
It's true. Bobby's termination destroyed the foundation and later hiring a Big 10 head coach with an offensive scheme the exact opposite of the one the players he inherited were recruited to run made matters even worse. As I stated previously it was basically trying to put a square peg into a round hole and as a result, 2013 was a disaster.

+1000

That is when everything pretty much fell apart.

However, Petrino wouldn't have stuck around anyway.  As soon as that Louisville position opened back up in 2014, he would have left us.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: hogcard1964 on April 02, 2017, 10:29:56 am
+1000

However, Petrino wouldn't have stuck around anyway.  As soon as that Louisville position opened back up in 2014, he would have left us.

The fact that you agree with that erroneous statement speaks volumes. But let's discuss that for a moment.

Had BP not lied to and embarrassed his employer and stayed here, this would certainly look like a different team. We likely would have continued to have a huge turnover/miss rate (averaging 47%) among those that we recruited and we wouldn't have the kind of kids on the team that we have now, but we probably would have found a way to win 9 or 10 games more often than not. Any turnover in HC's and especially in terms of philosophy is likely to produce at least a temporary downturn in wins, especially if you inherit a team with little depth at the key positions needed for the change in philosophy.

I'm sure that BP could have pieced something together like he usually did to find a way to win a few more games than we have since Bielema arrived, but make no mistake, he would have had his 7-8 win seasons as well. And of course, as long as he was here, we would never have been invited back to the Cotton Bowl, but maybe that is OK with some of you? To not be able to invited to a bowl because of the actions of your HC?

Bielema will either get this thing put together in the next two seasons or he won't. If he doesn't, I don't think that he will have to be fired, he will resign on his own. But I believe that in each of the next two seasons that Arkansas will win 9 or more games and then that won't even be a thought in the minds of anyone who is rational. Now I'm sure that those who want to see a return to a "wide open, throw it all over the field" type of philosophy will be whining and full of angst that he didn't fail, but that rather vocal minority will just have to live with it.

On the other hand, if he fails, he needs to go and I'll be the first one to say that. I'm already a bit disenchanted but he has two more years here no matter what so I'll just wait and see what happens. I hope, more for the school and the program, that he succeeds because there are many aspects of what he has brought to Arkansas that I like. But we need to break out of our average over the past 20 or so years and win more than 7-8 games each year.

Go Hogs Go!

hogcard1964

All guess work.

The fact remains, he (Petrino) screwed us and we remain screwed.

oldhawg

Quote from: hawg66 on April 02, 2017, 07:55:48 am

"To change the mindset I think it will take one special year.  A belief that they're gonna find a way to win.  It's the last piece of the foundation, and the hardest to build."

That "mindset" that you speak of should have started with last years TCU game.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: hogcard1964 on April 02, 2017, 12:00:57 pm
All guess work.

The fact remains, he (Petrino) screwed us and we remain screwed.

Not a lot of guess work at all, especially with regard to the depth (or lack of) that BP recruited and Bielema inherited. Plus, because of his actions and JLS being "checked out" of the process for all of 2012, Bielema also inherited a mentally broken and undisciplined team to start out with here, not to mention a team that had been recruited for a different offensive philosophy. That's a steep hill to climb to have to rebuild a team from the ground up, mentally, physically and emotionally.

We don't remain screwed, but you are right in that BP put the screws to Arkansas because of his libido and having chosen to lie about that which happened.

Still, I am glad the man isn't here.
Go Hogs Go!

hogcard1964

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 02, 2017, 12:10:31 pm
Not a lot of guess work at all, especially with regard to the depth (or lack of) that BP recruited and Bielema inherited. Plus, because of his actions and JLS being "checked out" of the process for all of 2012, Bielema also inherited a mentally broken and undisciplined team to start out with here, not to mention a team that had been recruited for a different offensive philosophy. That's a steep hill to climb to have to rebuild a team from the ground up, mentally, physically and emotionally.

We don't remain screwed, but you are right in that BP put the screws to Arkansas because of his libido and having chosen to lie about that which happened.

Still, I am glad the man isn't here.

Agreed, the recruiting has been better.  Unfortunately, the results remain greatly lacking. 

"Screwed" . appears to subjective. 

LZH

In my (weak) defense, I had a pretty good buzz when I started this thread.  If we win 10 games this fall, I will personally fly to the hill and kiss BB right on the mouth.

There isn't one single man on this board that loves his Hogs more than I do......not one.  I would love for BB to be the man - the kick-ass bad mofo, but it hasn't happened and I'm afraid it never will.

McKdaddy

I support CBB, tepidly. I hope for the best and cheer hm on, but prepare realistically for average results.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

hogcard1964

Quote from: LZH on April 02, 2017, 12:22:36 pm
In my (weak) defense, I had a pretty good buzz when I started this thread.  If we win 10 games this fall, I will personally fly to the hill and kiss BB right on the mouth.

There isn't one single man on this board that loves his Hogs more than I do......not one.  I would love for BB to be the man - the kick-ass bad mofo, but it hasn't happened and I'm afraid it never will.

Big difference between the Big 10 and The SEC.  Not to mention when he actually had his success, the Big 10 was awful.  However, the one constant throughout his coaching career has been his inability to beat the upper echelon of historically solid teams within those divisions.

bphi11ips

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 02, 2017, 11:47:03 am
The fact that you agree with that erroneous statement speaks volumes. But let's discuss that for a moment.

Had BP not lied to and embarrassed his employer and stayed here, this would certainly look like a different team. We likely would have continued to have a huge turnover/miss rate (averaging 47%) among those that we recruited and we wouldn't have the kind of kids on the team that we have now, but we probably would have found a way to win 9 or 10 games more often than not. Any turnover in HC's and especially in terms of philosophy is likely to produce at least a temporary downturn in wins, especially if you inherit a team with little depth at the key positions needed for the change in philosophy.

I'm sure that BP could have pieced something together like he usually did to find a way to win a few more games than we have since Bielema arrived, but make no mistake, he would have had his 7-8 win seasons as well. And of course, as long as he was here, we would never have been invited back to the Cotton Bowl, but maybe that is OK with some of you? To not be able to invited to a bowl because of the actions of your HC?

Bielema will either get this thing put together in the next two seasons or he won't. If he doesn't, I don't think that he will have to be fired, he will resign on his own. But I believe that in each of the next two seasons that Arkansas will win 9 or more games and then that won't even be a thought in the minds of anyone who is rational. Now I'm sure that those who want to see a return to a "wide open, throw it all over the field" type of philosophy will be whining and full of angst that he didn't fail, but that rather vocal minority will just have to live with it.

On the other hand, if he fails, he needs to go and I'll be the first one to say that. I'm already a bit disenchanted but he has two more years here no matter what so I'll just wait and see what happens. I hope, more for the school and the program, that he succeeds because there are many aspects of what he has brought to Arkansas that I like. But we need to break out of our average over the past 20 or so years and win more than 7-8 games each year.

I don't remember what your position was on Petrino's recruiting while he was at Arkansas. I do know the Board in general thought he had the best eye for talent in the college game and maintained that his unbalanced classes were "needs based" and the only way to assess a Petrino class was on the back end. I called BS on it then and said while he was here we were in for some bad years.  Took a lot of heat for that.

So I agree - Petrino destroyed our foundation. But that was coming with or without the Harley. The day Arkansas builds a foundation to compete with the TCUs, Baylors, and Texas Techs of college football will be the day we can start looking up from the bottom of the SEC every year.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

goodguytex

The next 2 years will tell us what we need to know about Bielemas future here. I hope he can get it done, because I like and respect him a lot.

hogcard1964

Quote from: goodguytex on April 02, 2017, 12:35:01 pm
The next 2 years will tell us what we need to know about Bielemas future here. I hope he can get it done, because I like and respect him a lot.

You really can't tell what you've been sold yet?

GuvHog

April 02, 2017, 12:45:36 pm #112 Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 12:55:58 pm by GuvHog
Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 02, 2017, 11:47:03 am

There's a lot of broad assumptions there. You really have no idea how the Hogs would have done if Bobby had stayed nor do I. I believe the Hogs would have won 8 regular season games in both 2012 and 2013 under BP but I don't know for sure that would have been the case, no one does.

As far as attrition under BP, I suggest you take a close look at the steller defense of 2014 (CBB's best so far) and notice how many starters were BP's recruits. Recruiting on the defensive side of the football has improved the last couple of years but in 2013 and 2014 it declined some.

As for where I stand on BP coming back, at the end of the 2014 season, someone started a thread asking the question "Would you trade Bret Bielema for Bobby Petrino??". My answer then was  NO and I haven't changed my mind about that but I did come close after the end of last season
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

HogHomer

Quote from: GuvHog on April 02, 2017, 12:45:36 pm
There's a lot of broad assumptions there. You really have no idea how the Hogs would have done if Bobby had stayed nor do I. I believe the Hogs would have won 8 regular season games in both 2012 and 2013 under BP but I don't know for sure that would have been the case, no one does.

As far as attrition under BP, I suggest you take a close look at the steller defense of 2014 (CBB's best so far) and notice how many starters were BP's recruits. Recruiting on the defensive side of the football has improved the last couple of years but in 2013 and 2014 it declined some.
You mean the players that had been coached for 2 years by 2014 under Coach B. And let's take a look at the Oline why did 2 freshman have to start Coach B's first year? If the attrition wasn't that bad as you are clearly trying to suggest can you explain that? Considering BP was an offensive guru you would think we would be talking about the offense he left not the defense

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: hogcard1964 on April 02, 2017, 12:44:49 pm
You really can't tell what you've been sold yet?

Yep. A high character guy that will produce as well as any other coach at Arkansas while running a clean program. A coach that signs young men who are fine ambassadors for the university they represent that graduate.

Your definition of success and what you think you have been sold is meaningless. Those boy's futures trump your entertainment dollar.
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

hawg66

Quote from: oldhawg on April 02, 2017, 12:04:22 pm
That "mindset" that you speak of should have started with last years TCU game.

"Rebuild " seems to be a word with too many bad connotations for some. That's why I used transition.  Last  year should have been viewed as a rebuilding year. Because the Hogs let the big year get away in 2015, Bielema didn't get the benefit of the doubt. The 2016 Hogs were never going to be great, and the fact that they could have won 9 is almost encouraging.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: GuvHog on April 02, 2017, 12:45:36 pm

As for where I stand on BP coming back, at the end of the 2014 season, someone started a thread asking the question "Would you trade Bret Bielema for Bobby Petrino??". My answer then was  NO and I haven't changed my mind about that but I did come close after the end of last season

I'm not sure how you, of all people, could take offense to anything that I said in the post you quoted.

As for broad assumptions, the only one I made was a prediction as to what Petrino might have been able to string together had he stayed.

The attrition factor was clear, it isn't even worth questioning. It isn't even up for debate. The numbers are what they are.

As for the 2013 and 2014 classes, when you are left with little depth and having to totally rebuild a system to a Pro Style of Offense, it could take you up to 3-4 years to get on track for a new system and get all of the pieces in place.

As for BP coming back, I didn't even mention that possibility because it isn't going to happen. I did however mention the "throw it all over the field" mentality and if you aren't among those, if the shoe doesn't fit, why protest so much?
Go Hogs Go!

rhames

Quote from: hogcard1964 on April 02, 2017, 10:29:56 am
+1000

Petrino would not have left arkansas for Louisville. That opinion doesn't even take into account the 20MM buyout.

Not that the point even matters.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: bphi11ips on April 02, 2017, 12:30:01 pm
I don't remember what your position was on Petrino's recruiting while he was at Arkansas. I do know the Board in general thought he had the best eye for talent in the college game and maintained that his unbalanced classes were "needs based" and the only way to assess a Petrino class was on the back end. I called BS on it then and said while he was here we were in for some bad years.  Took a lot of heat for that.

So I agree - Petrino destroyed our foundation. But that was coming with or without the Harley. The day Arkansas builds a foundation to compete with the TCUs, Baylors, and Texas Techs of college football will be the day we can start looking up from the bottom of the SEC every year.

Frankly, as I know that you and others know, the only way to accurately assess any recruiting class is about 3-4 years after they hit campus. You are always going to have those kids that you never expected to do much who wind up being huge contributors, those that you thought would be huge contributors when signed, that don't produce near as much as expected, and then those who were highly rated recruits who wind up doing pretty much what was expected of them. It changes even more when a group of kids who were recruited for one system and philosophy, because of a coaching change, are forced to adapt to another.

As for BP's recruiting, I never really thought much of his style, but I must admit that I was surprised by some of the kids that he did sign, in a good way. The attrition rate of his classes always bothered me but I didn't realize just how bad it was until I took a closer look today.
Go Hogs Go!

hogcard1964

Quote from: Hawgar The Horrible on April 02, 2017, 01:14:14 pm
Yep. A high character guy that will produce as well as any other coach at Arkansas while running a clean program. A coach that signs young men who are fine ambassadors for the university they represent that graduate.

Your definition of success and what you think you have been sold is meaningless. Those boy's futures trump your entertainment dollar.

When do you believe Arkansas ran an "unclean" program?

hogcard1964

Quote from: rhames on April 02, 2017, 01:35:11 pm

Petrino would not have left arkansas for Louisville. That opinion doesn't even take into account the 20MM buyout.

Not that the point even matters.

I believe he may have.  Regardless, I don't doubt he would have left by now.

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: hogcard1964 on April 02, 2017, 01:48:06 pm
When do you believe Arkansas ran an "unclean" program?

Clean program as in players keeping their noses clean. Hell, the coach himself for that matter.

But you knew what I meant. Just another one of your typical, childish attempts to deflect.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: hogcard1964 on April 02, 2017, 01:49:33 pm
I believe he may have.  Regardless, I don't doubt he would have left by now.

If Petrino had kept his nose clean (or at least exercised more discretion in his affairs) and continued to win at Arkansas he would certainly have been offered a better job and more money to go somewhere else. He only wound up back at Louisville because of timing and having had to serve his penalty time in the box at W. Kentucky (after his firing here) and the Louisville job just happened to come open at a favorable time for him.

He won't stay at Louisville for the rest of his career either.
Go Hogs Go!

hogcard1964

Quote from: Hawgar The Horrible on April 02, 2017, 02:05:38 pm
Clean program as in players keeping their noses clean. Hell, the coach himself for that matter.

But you knew what I meant. Just another one of your typical, childish attempts to deflect.

Stop with the nonsense.  This current crop of players has no moral or ethical standing over any other Razorback class. 

hogcard1964

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 02, 2017, 02:09:18 pm
If Petrino had kept his nose clean (or at least exercised more discretion in his affairs) and continued to win at Arkansas he would certainly have been offered a better job and more money to go somewhere else. He only wound up back at Louisville because of timing and having had to serve his penalty time in the box at W. Kentucky (after his firing here) and the Louisville job just happened to come open at a favorable time for him.

He won't stay at Louisville for the rest of his career either.

I agree with this.  I actually believe his next stop could be Notre Dame.

...and I would absolutely hate that idea.

rhames

Quote from: hogcard1964 on April 02, 2017, 02:17:38 pm

LOL. Petrino isn't going to Notre Dame

HE pretty much had to sign his life away to Louisville to get the job.

He will be there until he gets fired

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: hogcard1964 on April 02, 2017, 02:17:38 pm

Noooooooo, Notre Dame, as much as they want to return to top 5-10 status annually, wouldn't touch BP with a 10 foot pole, IMO. ND wants their cake and to eat it too. A supposedly clean program (for public consumption), good academics, good Catholic school, a squeaky clean, loved by the nation HC and 2 digit wins every year. They want it all. BP would not be a good personality fit with that program. Not that they have that now, but that is what they aspire to.

If you are going to go for a coach like BP you had better be ready to carry his baggage and they aren't going to go for a coach who gets caught mouthing a "F-U" at the opposing coach on national t.v. and who makes enemies of bowl committees. Now Miami? Maybe. And I would hate to see that. With all of that talent down there?
Go Hogs Go!

bphi11ips

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 02, 2017, 01:43:17 pm
Frankly, as I know that you and others know, the only way to accurately assess any recruiting class is about 3-4 years after they hit campus. You are always going to have those kids that you never expected to do much who wind up being huge contributors, those that you thought would be huge contributors when signed, that don't produce near as much as expected, and then those who were highly rated recruits who wind up doing pretty much what was expected of them. It changes even more when a group of kids who were recruited for one system and philosophy, because of a coaching change, are forced to adapt to another.

As for BP's recruiting, I never really thought much of his style, but I must admit that I was surprised by some of the kids that he did sign, in a good way. The attrition rate of his classes always bothered me but I didn't realize just how bad it was until I took a closer look today.

I agree to some extent that recruiting classes are best viewed in the rear view mirror.  I don't agree that the holes Petrino's classes left were unforseeable, attrition or not. 

I like Bielema's balanced approach much better.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: bphi11ips on April 02, 2017, 02:46:11 pm
I agree to some extent that recruiting classes are best viewed in the rear view mirror.  I don't agree that the holes Petrino's classes left were unforseeable, attrition or not. 

I like Bielema's balanced approach much better.

I do too. Our recruiting and retention of players has improved significantly.
Go Hogs Go!

jkstock04

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 02, 2017, 08:43:21 am
Just as an example, from the 2008 through the 2012 signing classes, Arkansas signed 20 offensive linemen. Out of that 20 there were 11 that didn't pan out in some way (left the program for one reason or another and/or never really played). That is 9 who stuck and played, over the course of 5 years. Is that what we would call a solid foundation?

Overall from the 2008-2012 recruiting classes we signed 140 players and 66 of them didn't pan out or left the program in some way. That is an attrition rate of 47.1%. So again, a solid foundation? Not exactly.
The problem is you guys include players that transferred out or never contributed post Petrino...assuming 100% the same would've happened had he not been fired.

This is a problem with stats. Many times they don't tell the whole story.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

hogcard1964

Quote from: rhames on April 02, 2017, 02:25:09 pm

LOL. Petrino isn't going to Notre Dame

HE pretty much had to sign his life away to Louisville to get the job.

He will be there until he gets fired

He will use Louisville as another ladder rung just as he has everywhere else he's been.  They won't fire him.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: jkstock04 on April 02, 2017, 02:54:06 pm
The problem is you guys include players that transferred out or never contributed post Petrino...assuming 100% the same would've happened had he not been fired.

This is a problem with stats. Many times they don't tell the whole story.

How is including all of the players involved not telling the whole story? Maybe it is just how you want to view the data?
Go Hogs Go!

rhames

Quote from: hogcard1964 on April 02, 2017, 02:56:51 pm
He will use Louisville as another ladder rung just as he has everywhere else he's been.  They won't fire him.

You're giving his "ladder" way too much range.

Petrino had to crawl back to Louisville and beg for them to take him back. The contract they have for him is similar to what we did buyout wise. They hedged thier bet on thier gamble.

He will be there until he is fired for off the field issues or ends up just royally screwing up and forgets how to coach.

If he was so available why wasn't his name thrown out, as a serious possibility, for the likes of LSU or texas??

Also don't forget Louisville can pay a decent salary and is a power five job

Steef

LOL

Another thread derailed into discussing Bobby.

I truly wish he'd never been hired.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Steef on April 02, 2017, 03:08:55 pm
LOL

Another thread derailed into discussing Bobby.

I truly wish he'd never been hired.

It's going to happen when you are discussing Bielema and what he inherited in terms of talent. It's kind of natural to flow a bit off the mark, probably my fault for allowing it to get so far afield, but it is the off season, right?
Go Hogs Go!

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: hogcard1964 on April 02, 2017, 02:11:06 pm
Stop with the nonsense.  This current crop of players has no moral or ethical standing over any other Razorback class.

Employers these days scrutinize potential hire candidate's social media pages you twerp. CBB IS looking at morality.

bennyl08

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 02, 2017, 03:00:51 pm
How is including all of the players involved not telling the whole story? Maybe it is just how you want to view the data?

Because you are only looking at one part of the story.

Great example of this is Ryan Mallett. Mallett was an excellent signing by Lloyd Carr at Michigan. Had Carr stayed there, Mallett was already playing heavily as a true freshmen, and was almost certainly going to be a star quarterback for them.

Lloyd gets fired and Rodriguez gets hired, and Rich runs a very different offense, one that Mallett would have likely never started for. So, Mallett leaves Michigan and comes to Arkansas where his talents were well used.

Is Mallett an example of why Carr was fired and how poorly he recruited? Or is he simply a casualty of scheme change?

EDIT: It is akin to looking at ypc to judge a running back and nothing else. By that standard, Dmac wasn't even the best running back during his time here. Sure, you may be looking at every players yard per carry average, but you aren't including any other information. Just because you include all the players doesn't mean that a single piece of information is going to tell the whole story.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

jkstock04

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 02, 2017, 03:00:51 pm
I've already explained it. I'll explain it to you once more and I'll be done with it.

Your data assumes all the players that didn't work out post Petrino would've done the exact same had he not been fired. 
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

bennyl08

Quote from: jkstock04 on April 02, 2017, 03:25:58 pm
I've already explained it. I'll explain it to you once more and I'll be done with it.

Your data assumes all the players that didn't work out post Petrino would've done the exact same had he not been fired.

His data doesn't assume that. The data is what the data is. His interpretation of the data and thus his interpretation of the quality of the recruiting classes and projections of future success are based on those assumptions.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

hogcard1964

Quote from: Hawgar The Horrible on April 02, 2017, 03:22:13 pm
Employers these days scrutinize potential hire candidate's social media pages you twerp. CBB IS looking at morality.

That's obvious.

"We gone be back we hogs"

hogcard1964

Quote from: jkstock04 on April 02, 2017, 03:25:58 pm

Very good point.  I haven't seen that brought up previously.

majestic

Quote from: hogcard1964 on April 02, 2017, 04:56:46 pm
That's obvious.

Your propensity to post crap everywhere is impressive.
Voluntary epidemiologist - Voted for W in 08

hogcard1964

Quote from: majestic on April 02, 2017, 05:06:14 pm
Your propensity to post crap everywhere is impressive.

Hold up.  I'm watching last week's Bates Motel. I'll deal with you later, kid.

factchecker

Quote from: hogcard1964 on April 02, 2017, 04:56:46 pm
That's obvious.

1.  That was Barford tweeting.  He is a basketball player.  Not a Bielema recruit.

2. There is nothing wrong with that tweet.  It might not being up to hogtard standards but it doesn't condone cheating on your wife or lying to your boss.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Hawghiggs

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 02, 2017, 02:25:39 pm
Noooooooo, Notre Dame, as much as they want to return to top 5-10 status annually, wouldn't touch BP with a 10 foot pole, IMO. ND wants their cake and to eat it too. A supposedly clean program (for public consumption), good academics, good Catholic school, a squeaky clean, loved by the nation HC and 2 digit wins every year. They want it all. BP would not be a good personality fit with that program. Not that they have that now, but that is what they aspire to.

If you are going to go for a coach like BP you had better be ready to carry his baggage and they aren't going to go for a coach who gets caught mouthing a "F-U" at the opposing coach on national t.v. and who makes enemies of bowl committees. Now Miami? Maybe. And I would hate to see that. With all of that talent down there?

They have Brian Kelly. That piece of crap should be in jail. ND doesn't have moral fiber.

hogcard1964

Quote from: factchecker on April 02, 2017, 05:12:19 pm
1.  That was Barford tweeting.  He is a basketball player.  Not a Bielema recruit.

2. There is nothing wrong with that tweet.  It might not being up to hogtard standards but it doesn't condone cheating on your wife or lying to your boss.

Just as social media plays no part in judging a recruit.

rhames

Quote from: hogcard1964 on April 02, 2017, 05:15:54 pm

If you think that talking in slang is the worst thing kids do on social media you live.......nevermind.

majestic

Quote from: hogcard1964 on April 02, 2017, 05:12:10 pm

Hold up.  I'm watching last week's Bates Motel. I'll deal with you later, kid.

Metamucil at 5....sounds about right for you, kid.
Voluntary epidemiologist - Voted for W in 08

factchecker

Quote from: hogcard1964 on April 02, 2017, 05:15:54 pm

You can tell a lot by a player's social media.  Grammar isn't that important but if they are tweeting about smacking hoes around or other stuff like that then you might want to avoid them.

A prime example is when we backed off recruiting Rhaheed-Muhammad.  Coach Bielema had hinted that he didn't like some of the things he saw with Rhaheed so he removed the offer. Rhaheed soon committed to Bobby Petrino and Louisville.  Rhaheed was arrested later for impregnating his underage cousin.  Bobby also allowed a woman beater (Devonte Fields) to transfer to the Louisville program.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

hogninja

CBP departure left a hole in recruiting and coaching. JLS's year was basically  the same as a death penalty year with no recruiting. So, you have almost two years of no recruiting and a new coach. Given the facts, we are looking good for the future. CBB has the coaches to succeed, I like the potential. Give it time. :razorback: