Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Senate Bill 724 Could Exempt Athletic Facilities from Concealed Carry

Started by gdumont, March 29, 2017, 11:07:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Wooderson

Give me liberty, or give me death!

hogsanity

I do not get the fascination with carrying a gun. We have a gun in our home, but neither myself or my wife feels the need to carry it to work or shopping, or to the movies, or out to eat, and certainly not to a sporting event.

How many times do we read a bout a fight at a stadium somewhere or witness one in person? Now imagine those fights if one or all involved parties were armed.

As far as rights, what about my right to go to a game and not worry that the guy next to me, who was drinking at his tailgate for 5 hours and is taken, has a gun? 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hawgwash

Quote from: hogcard1964 on March 30, 2017, 09:23:45 am
Why wouldn't I "feel safe"?
Because with any luck the legislature will correct this madness today, and the U of A will prohibit you from bringing your weapon to games.  If that happens, and you can find another team to support that allows it, you should become a fan of that team.

hogcard1964

Quote from: Wooderson on March 30, 2017, 09:23:59 am
Do you believe you can yell fire in a crowded area?

No

But that's a matter of dangerous speech.  Not at all related to the 2nd Amdtmt.

BassinHawg

Quote from: Peter Porker on March 30, 2017, 09:21:05 am
It was never illegal to CC in Razorback Stadiun before this stuff even came up.

So how does this apply then?

Arkansas Code
Arkansas Concealed Handgun Carry Licensing

§5-73-306. Prohibited places.
(11) Any athletic event not related to firearms;

"It is what it is." has replaced "Yesssss Sirrrrr!!!!"

hawgwash

Quote from: hogcard1964 on March 30, 2017, 09:26:03 am
No

The second amendment has limits as well.

hogcard1964

Quote from: hawgwash on March 30, 2017, 09:25:52 am
Because with any luck the legislature will correct this madness today, and the U of A will prohibit you from bringing your weapon to games.  If that happens, and you can find another team to support that allows it, you should become a fan of that team.

That still doesn't answer the question, "why wouldn't I feel safe"?

hogcard1964

Quote from: hawgwash on March 30, 2017, 09:27:05 am
The second amendment has limits as well.

Yes, it does.  However should any of your rights be limited?

Wooderson

Quote from: hogcard1964 on March 30, 2017, 09:26:03 am
No

That's the point.  Every right that is recognized has some limitations.  Like was said earlier, even the GOAT Justice Scalilia thought so.  I'm a strict Constitutionalist by today's standards, but sometimes there should be limits.

PonderinHog

If pro is the opposite of con, what is the opposite of progress?

hogcard1964

Quote from: Wooderson on March 30, 2017, 09:28:02 am
That's the point.  Every right that is recognized has some limitations.  Like was said earlier, even the GOAT Justice Scalilia thought so.  I'm a strict Constitutionalist by today's standards, but sometimes there should be limits.

I'm sorry you feel that way, but hey, the 1st Amdmt. allows you the right to voice your opinion. Regardless of how incorrect anyone else feels that may be.   ;)

Wooderson

Quote from: hogcard1964 on March 30, 2017, 09:30:20 am
I'm sorry you feel that way, but hey, the 1st Amdmt. allows you the right to voice your opinion. Regardless of how incorrect anyone else feels that may be.   ;)

You agreed with there being restrictions on the 1st amendment.  I would hope that you also think that it's BS that we are paying for inmates sex changes with tax dollars.  I bet I could name ten rights restrictions that you agree with.  I doubt you were vocally against the Patriot act, or holding Americans at Gitmo.

Wooderson

PorkRinds

Quote from: Wooderson on March 30, 2017, 09:32:46 am
You agreed with there being restrictions on the 1st amendment.  I would hope that you also think that it's BS that we are paying for inmates sex changes with tax dollars.  I bet I could name ten rights restrictions that you agree with.  I doubt you were vocally against the Patriot act, or holding Americans at Gitmo.

He's a contrarian. He's just talking noise. That's what he does.

EastexHawg

Maybe the legislature took the decision out of university administrators' hands because university administrators are overwhelmingly politically liberal and can be counted on to make their campuses non-carry zones if given the opportunity.  The Texas legislature passed a law stating that universities cannot declare their entire campuses gun free zones.  They can designate a few sensitive areas, but they cannot do anything that creates a de facto gun free campus.

The President or Chancellor or whatever he is called at the University of Texas in Austin said he was going to ignore the legislature and make his campus gun free anyway.  In my opinion he should have been fired immediately.  His replacement could decide if he was going to follow state law or hit the bricks as well.

I have had a concealed carry license since it became legal to have one in Texas, but I almost never carry a gun on me.  In my vehicle?  Yes, but not on my person.  I have no plans to ever carry a gun into a college sporting event, but I'm not sure what makes a football stadium any different from any other public venue when it comes to allowing people who have passed state law enforcement's background check process to keep and bear arms.  Are you more likely to be shot at DWRRS than at the mall?

hogcard1964

Quote from: Wooderson on March 30, 2017, 09:32:46 am

You only have 30 days left to discuss this on the politics board.  Let it go. 

Don't worry, your legislators will strap on their kitty kats today and uphold it.

Wooderson

Quote from: EastexHawg on March 30, 2017, 09:35:33 am
Maybe the legislature took the decision out of university administrators' hands because university administrators are overwhelmingly politically liberal and can be counted on to make their campuses non-carry zones if given the opportunity.  The Texas legislature passed a law stating that universities cannot declare their entire campuses gun free zones.  They can designate a few sensitive areas, but they cannot do anything that creates a de facto gun free campus.

The President or Chancellor or whatever he is called at the University of Texas in Austin said he was going to ignore the legislature and make his campus gun free anyway.  In my opinion he should have been fired immediately.  His replacement could decide if he was going to follow state law or hit the bricks as well.

I have had a concealed carry license since it became legal to have one in Texas, but I almost never carry a gun on me.  In my vehicle?  Yes, but not on my person.  I have no plans to ever carry a gun into a college sporting event, but I'm not sure what makes a football stadium any different from any other public venue when it comes to allowing people who have passed state law enforcement's background check process to keep and bear arms.  Are you more likely to be shot at DWRRS than at the mall?

Have you seen the Florida movie theater video.  The retired officer killed a man over him using his cell phone.  I have yet to attend a Razorback football game and not see a scuffle.  Why even let there be a possibility that some dude could shoot another over a shoving match?  Emotions are tense at sporting events period. 

GoHogzzGo

Is that true by the way, and if so was this legislation just clarifying that it is legal in all public areas? Interesting perspective.
Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.

hawgwash

Quote from: EastexHawg on March 30, 2017, 09:35:33 am

The difference here is that the new Arkansas law, unless the Amendment passes today, does NOT allow the university to designate areas such as athletic venues as sensitive.  On your other point, I think you are indeed more likely to be shot in a crowd of 72,000 people, a good number of whom have been drinking that day, following a blown call by an official or one more insensitive comment by the Bama fan sitting in the row in front of you, as opposed to at the mall when two women fight over the last dress on the sale rack.

(notOM)Rebel123

Not entirely true. IIRC, Weapons are not allowed in RRS. There just aren't criminal penalties that result from being caught carrying. But you and weapon can be removed from premises.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

hawgwash

Quote from: GoHogzzGo on March 30, 2017, 09:43:49 am
Is that true by the way, and if so was this legislation just clarifying that it is legal in all public areas? Interesting perspective.
I don't think it's correct.  I think each public university had the option to allow or ban weapons, and no university had chosen to allow weapons.

hogcard1964

ricepig

ricepig

jneal56

All the people who are opposed to this or are worried that recruiting is going to take a hit need to stop and ask themselves one question. How many times have you been patted down and checked for a weapon while entering DWRRS? Or WMS? I've been attending games for the past 20 years and I have not once been patted down or checked to see if I'm carrying a weapon. I've been told I can't bring my bottle of water in but that was it. Now here is another question. How many firearms do you think were carried in there by people with and without CC that were not law enforcement? If you say zero then you are sadly mistaken. Especially since 9/11 has taken place, if you pay close enough attention, you will see a person every so often who will have something other than a flask tucked away in their sock. I've seen it. My wife has seen it. Never were we worried for our lives or safety. What you people honestly believe is that someone is going to go through all that trouble to get their CC, the additional training that it takes to even carry the gun to the stadium, just to get drunk and angry and blow everyone away. There will be people who attend the games with their CC license who will not take the extra training to carry at the sporting events and they'll leave their guns in their vehicles or at home. Why? Because they are law abiding citizens. The people that we all should be concerned with are the ones who aren't eligible to even own a firearm. Those are the ones that cause the problems the majority of the time. Especially now with the open carry, most people will not even attain their CC license. Therefore they would be ineligible to carry at the sporting event anyway. At the gate when you're checked by security and do not have the proper documentation, guess what, you don't gain entry.

With all that said, my only concern is now every single person is going to be checked thoroughly entering the stadium. This means having to get there even earlier than years past. That is where the problem will truly exist. And those of you whining about recruiting taking a hit. BS! I'll use Alabama for an example. You think they'll lose 5 stars if they all of a sudden decided to allow guns in the stadium? Get out of your bubbles people and live in the real world for a while. All this political correctness makes me want to puke.

How's this scenario for you. The gun law is amended so now the law abiding citizens leaves theirs at home or in the vehicle. The drunken white trash red necked idiot out on parole brings the gun into the stadium and he is cheering for the visitors sitting in the middle of several Hog fans. You feel safe knowing that security will take a few minutes to get there with their guns when he goes nuts because his team is losing? Or would you rather the law abiding citizen sitting next to you, draw his LEGALLY carried firearm and take him down? Now there are going to be some of you that say they don't want any of that. I agree neither do I but that is not the scenario.

Long story short. Many have their panties in wad over nothing. It's silly and if I had my CC as well as the extra training, then I should be able to carry. I don't, and I will not carry any weapon. Nor will I feel endangered if some legally does carry in the stadium. Lets talk about how we are going to improve offensive line play instead of this idiotic crap.
"At least we are moral"

parallaxpig

noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

PorkRinds

Quote from: jneal56 on March 30, 2017, 10:00:39 am
All the people who are opposed to this or are worried that recruiting is going to take a hit need to stop and ask themselves one question. How many times have you been patted down and checked for a weapon while entering DWRRS? Or WMS? I've been attending games for the past 20 years and I have not once been patted down or checked to see if I'm carrying a weapon. I've been told I can't bring my bottle of water in but that was it. Now here is another question. How many firearms do you think were carried in there by people with and without CC that were not law enforcement? If you say zero then you are sadly mistaken. Especially since 9/11 has taken place, if you pay close enough attention, you will see a person every so often who will have something other than a flask tucked away in their sock. I've seen it. My wife has seen it. Never were we worried for our lives or safety. What you people honestly believe is that someone is going to go through all that trouble to get their CC, the additional training that it takes to even carry the gun to the stadium, just to get drunk and angry and blow everyone away. There will be people who attend the games with their CC license who will not take the extra training to carry at the sporting events and they'll leave their guns in their vehicles or at home. Why? Because they are law abiding citizens. The people that we all should be concerned with are the ones who aren't eligible to even own a firearm. Those are the ones that cause the problems the majority of the time. Especially now with the open carry, most people will not even attain their CC license. Therefore they would be ineligible to carry at the sporting event anyway. At the gate when you're checked by security and do not have the proper documentation, guess what, you don't gain entry.

With all that said, my only concern is now every single person is going to be checked thoroughly entering the stadium. This means having to get there even earlier than years past. That is where the problem will truly exist. And those of you whining about recruiting taking a hit. BS! I'll use Alabama for an example. You think they'll lose 5 stars if they all of a sudden decided to allow guns in the stadium? Get out of your bubbles people and live in the real world for a while. All this political correctness makes me want to puke.

How's this scenario for you. The gun law is amended so now the law abiding citizens leaves theirs at home or in the vehicle. The drunken white trash red necked idiot out on parole brings the gun into the stadium and he is cheering for the visitors sitting in the middle of several Hog fans. You feel safe knowing that security will take a few minutes to get there with their guns when he goes nuts because his team is losing? Or would you rather the law abiding citizen sitting next to you, draw his LEGALLY carried firearm and take him down? Now there are going to be some of you that say they don't want any of that. I agree neither do I but that is not the scenario.

Long story short. Many have their panties in wad over nothing. It's silly and if I had my CC as well as the extra training, then I should be able to carry. I don't, and I will not carry any weapon. Nor will I feel endangered if some legally does carry in the stadium. Lets talk about how we are going to improve offensive line play instead of this idiotic crap.

What a terrible post.

hogcard1964

+1000

Boom!!!!

parallaxpig

Walk thru metal detectors are coming. It was already in the works before this issue came up.

noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

ricepig

So, the white trash got patted down, but still brought in his gun? Must have been the TSA doing the screening for entrance. I trust the law enforcement to protect us in these situations, especially with the requirement of a plan in order to be exempt. Also, I'm more concerned with our defense, we scored enough points to win several more games.

hogcard1964

Quote from: parallaxpig on March 30, 2017, 10:04:54 am
Walk thru metal detectors are coming. It was already in the works before this issue came up.

Why? 

(notOM)Rebel123

GoHogzzGo

I understand the point that people could have been getting guns in previously. However you cannot explain that to every recruit and parent. We already know how they feel about this and it is a negative, we don't have to wait and find out the reaction it has already been shown.
Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.

ricepig

ricepig

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on March 30, 2017, 10:08:17 am
All depends on your definition of "work". 😉

Whew.......I was beginning to doubt my judgment of you!

PonderinHog

hogcard1964

Quote from: ricepig on March 30, 2017, 10:09:01 am
Because, it's coming everywhere

I've been to a lot of stadium/venues and haven't seen it too much.

EastexHawg

He is right about one thing, though.  I have never been patted down to see if I was carrying a gun.  This is typical hysteria about what could possibly happen when in reality it could have happened all along.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: ricepig on March 30, 2017, 10:09:41 am
Whew.......I was beginning to doubt my judgment of you!

Ha! Just because one is "at work" doesn't necessarily mean one is "working".
Hey, "Work" smarter, not harder and don't confuse activity with achievement.

parallaxpig

hog of steele

Quote from: hogsanity on March 30, 2017, 09:24:34 am

As far as rights, what about my right to go to a game and not worry that the guy next to me, who was drinking at his tailgate for 5 hours and is taken, has a gun?

What is your guarantee that he isn't doing that now? The guy is already breaking a law as "drunk carry" is illegal. If he will break one law, why won't he break two?

Kevin

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 30, 2017, 08:57:18 am
I would like to see the NCAA and pro sports remove regionals, championships, and all star games from cities that are Sanctuary Cities.

hypocrisy at it's finest
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: hogz11 on March 30, 2017, 09:18:02 am
So perception carries no weight on recruiting players or keeping status in conferences?
It absolutely does. Lets say a big recruit comes in from the Miami area. He exits the NW Arkansas airport heading to Fayetteville. What is the first thing this big city kid see's? farm land. His 1st impression is that we are exactly what he's heard. Its not until he's made the 15 min drive to civilization that he begins to see things that change his mind.

What many fail to understand not only in recruiting but also with this concealed carry bill is ITS NOT ABOUT YOU! The safety of the players, students, officials, and attendees will always come before the egos of a few dozen that think they live in the wild west.
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

jneal56

Walk through metal detectors only detect metal. There are 3D printed hand guns that avoid metal detection. Again, I'm not worried about it. I'll be there regardless. As far as I know, and I've been wrong a million times and I'll be wrong a million more, there hasn't been a mass shooting at a college football event. Unfortunately it is coming eventually rather we like it or not. I hope that it never does but if it does happen, it'll happen regardless of the laws in place.
"At least we are moral"

PonderinHog

Quote from: hog of steele on March 30, 2017, 10:15:34 am
What is your guarantee that he isn't doing that now? The guy is already breaking a law as "drunk carry" is illegal. If he will break one law, why won't he break two?
I guess it comes down to choosing between taking reasonable preventive measures to ensure public safety vs. outright endorsement of a terrible idea.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on March 30, 2017, 10:16:51 am
It absolutely does. Lets say a big recruit comes in from the Miami area. He exits the NW Arkansas airport heading to Fayetteville. What is the first thing this big city kid see's? farm land. His 1st impression is that we are exactly what he's heard. Its not until he's made the 15 min drive to civilization that he begins to see things that change his mind.

What many fail to understand not only in recruiting but also with this concealed carry bill is ITS NOT ABOUT YOU! The safety of the players, students, officials, and attendees will always come before the egos of a few dozen that think they live in the wild west.

With that many guns around and everyone armed, it really shouldn't have been called the Wild West, since it was so safe.  It really should have been called the Safe West.

We've actually tried having everyone armed to the teeth in this country before, and we didn't like the results.  It wasn't an accident.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

cityhog

Quote from: sw403 on March 30, 2017, 06:42:37 am
Why would we loose NCAA baseball, track and gymnastic regionals?

The NCAA would deem UofA facilities unsafe for the student athletes, coaches, visiting fans and refs. They would give those teams the options whether or not they would want participate in events in Fayetteville and I believe most administrators from other schools would say 'no thanks'. This just isn't about regionals and championship meets, this is about SEC home games as Skankey has come out with a veiled threat that this would impact our standing in the SEC. So I hope hog fans are ok with an 'all-road' schedule, because that is very well what we could be looking at. Beyond that, I hope our legislators in their 'infinite wisdom' (and I use that term lightly), consider the financial impact this would have on the state and NW Arkansas.

hogcard1964

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on March 30, 2017, 10:16:51 am

Is it about safety of certain individuals over any given others?