Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Harding Academy

Started by bulldog04, March 26, 2017, 03:28:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bulldog04

They are ranked #14 in the country.  Anyone know anything about their team?  Prospects with D1 talent?
http://www.baseballamerica.com/high-school/high-school-baseball-rankings-top-25-march-21/#1KhEkQzkpmih2rG3.97

ricepig

Quote from: bulldog04 on March 26, 2017, 03:28:06 pm
They are ranked #14 in the country.  Anyone know anything about their team?  Prospects with D1 talent?
http://www.baseballamerica.com/high-school/high-school-baseball-rankings-top-25-march-21/#1KhEkQzkpmih2rG3.97

They are like #18 in the state on Maxpreps and got spanked 7-1 by Searcy the other day. I don't put much in early season rankings, much less late season when you're going nationwide.

SPAL

UCA is our recruiting expert.

ricepig

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on March 26, 2017, 05:11:27 pm
UCA is our recruiting expert.

Actually Pig Papi and Pork Ryan probably know more about the local high school kids.

PorkRyan

I'm not aware of any D1 players at Harding, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. 

High school rankings are meaningless.  No offense to Harding, but I doubt they are top 10 in the state overall.  We played at the Perfect Game event this week and Cullman, AL had 5 SEC commits on their team including a kid that was topping out at 94.  That is what the top teams look like. 

ucahogfan

Quote from: PorkRyan on March 26, 2017, 08:14:16 pm
I'm not aware of any D1 players at Harding, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. 

High school rankings are meaningless.  No offense to Harding, but I doubt they are top 10 in the state overall.  We played at the Perfect Game event this week and Cullman, AL had 5 SEC commits on their team including a kid that was topping out at 94.  That is what the top teams look like.
Yeah, programs like that are the ones which should be ranked in the Top 25.  In terms of Arkansas, you are probably looking at teams like Fayetteville and Bryant as really being the only teams which could be considered top 50ish in the country and that is because both have had several SEC players in the last couple of years.

Teams like Barbe in Lake Charles, LA or Harvard Westlake out in So Cal are consistently in the top 25 because they typically have 5-6 D1 signees on their team and are always loaded.

ricepig

Quote from: PorkRyan on March 26, 2017, 08:14:16 pm

Yeah, Jonesboro swept a DH from Christian Brothers earlier in the year, and they were pre-season #8 in the USA Today rankings with 2 SEC signees playing.   Early season doesn't mean much, at all.

bulldog04

Quote from: Surfing8 on March 26, 2017, 10:55:59 pm
Dunno about Harvard Westlake, but would be willing to wager both Rancho Bernardo and Cathedral Catholic finish the season ranked well ahead of them.  D1 players abound.
The Mt Juliet team we got Dylan Bonds from is got several SEC arms on it.  I want to say I seen somewhere that they have five pitchers committed to SEC schools

clutch

Quote from: ricepig on March 26, 2017, 03:46:46 pm
They are like #18 in the state on Maxpreps and got spanked 7-1 by Searcy the other day. I don't put much in early season rankings, much less late season when you're going nationwide.

Maxpreps rankings are a joke.

ricepig

Quote from: clutch on March 27, 2017, 07:12:34 am
Maxpreps rankings are a joke.

As are all the high school polls.

Pig Papi

Quote from: ricepig on March 27, 2017, 07:31:12 am
As are all the high school polls.

Both of you are correct.  Harding Academy is a very good baseball team for their classification in AR.  They are not deep enough to be #14 in the State much less the country.  At one point last year LRCA was ranked #20 in the country thanks to a great record out of the gate.  They lost in the 1st round of the playoffs.

Harding Academy has two very good players and probably some younger ones I don't know yet.  Their top player is committed to Harding University.  They have another who I don't think is committed yet.

clutch

Quote from: Pig Papi on March 27, 2017, 08:47:56 am
Both of you are correct.  Harding Academy is a very good baseball team for their classification in AR.  They are not deep enough to be #14 in the State much less the country.  At one point last year LRCA was ranked #20 in the country thanks to a great record out of the gate.  They lost in the 1st round of the playoffs.

Harding Academy has two very good players and probably some younger ones I don't know yet.  Their top player is committed to Harding University.  They have another who I don't think is committed yet.

I don't know anything about Harding Academy, just know how Maxpreps does their ranking system. I think it's based strictly off of win % pretty much. So there is usually a good 1A team with 20+ wins ranked somewhere near the top of the state rankings when they aren't anywhere close to top 10. I can't really blame them since there isn't a much better way for them to do each states rankings unless they had a full time employee for each state doing the rankings each week, but it just isn't very accurate.