Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The refs put the brakes on the Hogs. Period.

Started by SportsLife, March 23, 2017, 11:02:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Biggus Piggus

The refs seemed to have two biases in this game. First, they expected Arkansas to foul, so they looked for fouls. North Carolina had a very low fouling frequency during the season. The Tar Heels were allowed to step up their contact with impunity. Second, the refs appeared to want to avoid making any call late in the game that could be interpreted as swinging the game against North Carolina. They did not take the hands-off approach on both ends. They appeared to be hypersensitive about being called out for giving the game to Arkansas. Maybe that was a byproduct of the Seton Hall game. Maybe it was the North Carolina brand. Whatever, the refs called a different game on each end of the court.

The really glaring point is the one about Arkansas being unable to draw fouls when driving to the basket. The Hogs made that a staple of their game all season. North Carolina won this game ONLY because it got 13 steals vs. 10 fouls.

No wonder Jaylen Barford and Dusty Hannahs looked mystified. They could not get a call. Zero free throw attempts, 11 turnovers. That was what happens when you do what you've done all season, and suddenly it does not work.

I don't know how guys keep playing when they drive, get hammered without a call, then are called for a touch foul on the other end. It takes a lot more focus than I'd ever have.

Barford took 14 field goal attempts and never got to the line. Anton Beard, same thing, 10 shots from the floor, no free throws. Not a one.

Watkins + Barford + Hannahs + Macon + Beard, 43 shots from the floor, 4 free throw attempts, all by Macon. Did North Carolina manage this kind of feat all season long? Their opponents had averaged 18 free throw attempts per game. Usually, their big guys took the role of absorbing fouls, if the defense had been beaten.

But it's glaring, when you see Texas Southern had two guards combine for 10 free throw attempts, and their backcourt had 14 total in a 39-point loss. In their ACCT loss, the Heels sent Grayson Allen, Matt Jones and Frank Jackson to the line 12 times. Wing Luke Kennard got 10 free throws.

Even Miami - which drew 12 fouls from UNC in the ACCT - got to the line 16 times (including some blown 1-and-1's).

The two foul calls on Adrio Bailey - what's the consensus view on those? Not sure I can watch those plays objectively at all. Bailey also was involved on the heinous no-call on Joel Berry, when the refs obvious were trying to avoid any call that would hurt North Carolina.

That's the thing. This game is really screwed up, when something like that can happen. Refs should not go into a game hypersensitized about one team and numb to the other. Refs should not go into the final minutes of a game emotionally invested in avoiding calls against one team. That IS what happened.

Are opposing coaches doing something - in the way they work game officials pregame - that Mike Anderson is not? Can he do anything about it?

I know that fans always complain about officiating, but the numbers from Arkansas-North Carolina speak louder than anyone's fan bias does. You cannot explain it away. You know what happened.

If the Razorbacks make a habit of being successful in March Madness, maybe they will be less of a target. That's all the hope I have. Refs are going to be afraid of hurting teams like Kentucky and North Carolina, until they're afraid of mistreating you too.
[CENSORED]!

BRHogfan

QuoteBut, let's also acknowledge that UNC really only scored once in non-ref-aided fashion late - a dunk by Isaiah Hicks at the 2:19 mark that Arkansas's lead to 1, 65-64. It was the only scoring production NOT aided by questionable, one-sided officiating in the 8-0 run that turned a 5-point deficit into a 3-point lead for North Carolina in the closing seconds of the game.

This game has been eating me all week.  I wish we could get some kind of formal review, something that would make us feel slightly better about it.  As a fan base, we're still upset about a call in a football game in 2009, but the referee crew got suspended after that one. 

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: BRHogfan on March 24, 2017, 09:00:01 am
This game has been eating me all week.  I wish we could get some kind of formal review, something that would make us feel slightly better about it.  As a fan base, we're still upset about a call in a football game in 2009, but the referee crew got suspended after that one.

Don't worry.  Our crack legislature is on top of it.  I'm sure the NCAA is in turmoil over it as I type this.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

HF#1

No, it wasn't the best game for the officials but we had 3 of the worst late game possessions I've ever seen in a college basketball game in the last 3 minutes. Had we converted those opportunities, we aren't bitching about the officials.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on March 24, 2017, 07:59:54 am
The refs seemed to have two biases in this game. First, they expected Arkansas to foul, so they looked for fouls. North Carolina had a very low fouling frequency during the season. The Tar Heels were allowed to step up their contact with impunity. Second, the refs appeared to want to avoid making any call late in the game that could be interpreted as swinging the game against North Carolina. They did not take the hands-off approach on both ends. They appeared to be hypersensitive about being called out for giving the game to Arkansas. Maybe that was a byproduct of the Seton Hall game. Maybe it was the North Carolina brand. Whatever, the refs called a different game on each end of the court.

The really glaring point is the one about Arkansas being unable to draw fouls when driving to the basket. The Hogs made that a staple of their game all season. North Carolina won this game ONLY because it got 13 steals vs. 10 fouls.

No wonder Jaylen Barford and Dusty Hannahs looked mystified. They could not get a call. Zero free throw attempts, 11 turnovers. That was what happens when you do what you've done all season, and suddenly it does not work.

I don't know how guys keep playing when they drive, get hammered without a call, then are called for a touch foul on the other end. It takes a lot more focus than I'd ever have.

Barford took 14 field goal attempts and never got to the line. Anton Beard, same thing, 10 shots from the floor, no free throws. Not a one.

Watkins + Barford + Hannahs + Macon + Beard, 43 shots from the floor, 4 free throw attempts, all by Macon. Did North Carolina manage this kind of feat all season long? Their opponents had averaged 18 free throw attempts per game. Usually, their big guys took the role of absorbing fouls, if the defense had been beaten.

But it's glaring, when you see Texas Southern had two guards combine for 10 free throw attempts, and their backcourt had 14 total in a 39-point loss. In their ACCT loss, the Heels sent Grayson Allen, Matt Jones and Frank Jackson to the line 12 times. Wing Luke Kennard got 10 free throws.

Even Miami - which drew 12 fouls from UNC in the ACCT - got to the line 16 times (including some blown 1-and-1's).

The two foul calls on Adrio Bailey - what's the consensus view on those? Not sure I can watch those plays objectively at all. Bailey also was involved on the heinous no-call on Joel Berry, when the refs obvious were trying to avoid any call that would hurt North Carolina.

That's the thing. This game is really screwed up, when something like that can happen. Refs should not go into a game hypersensitized about one team and numb to the other. Refs should not go into the final minutes of a game emotionally invested in avoiding calls against one team. That IS what happened.

Are opposing coaches doing something - in the way they work game officials pregame - that Mike Anderson is not? Can he do anything about it?

I know that fans always complain about officiating, but the numbers from Arkansas-North Carolina speak louder than anyone's fan bias does. You cannot explain it away. You know what happened.

If the Razorbacks make a habit of being successful in March Madness, maybe they will be less of a target. That's all the hope I have. Refs are going to be afraid of hurting teams like Kentucky and North Carolina, until they're afraid of mistreating you too.

Spot on.

BRHogfan

Quote from: HF#1 on March 24, 2017, 09:32:45 am
No, it wasn't the best game for the officials but we had 3 of the worst late game possessions I've ever seen in a college basketball game in the last 3 minutes. Had we converted those opportunities, we aren't bitching about the officials.

Please we would've been touting how awesome this team was and how they won 5 v 8

Sow Lancelot

'Tis true that, had we been any kind of productive in the last 2 minutes on offense, we'd be much happier now.

However, I'd still be gritchng about the despicable state of officiating. (And I realize this is my former coaching coming out of me. I'm pretty sure referee is from some ancient language meaning incompetent and corrupt) ;)
"Nec vitia nostra nec remedium tolerare possumus." Livy
Nihil boni sine labore, sic vis pacem, para bellum.

azhog10

Had Moses not gone 0-3 on his free throws late we may also not be talking about the bad possessions late. Had Bailey's steal not been called a foul, we would not be talking about any of this as UNC would have been forced to foul being down three possessions.

XavierZane

If the refs had been calling fouls on any of our drives throughout the game, maybe there would have been better execution in the end.  When you've been sent the message all game that anytime you drive the refs will let the other team hit you until they take the ball away, however, dribbling the time down looks the safest. 

Love how the last image of the article sums up the officiating of the game.  A push, a grab, and poised for several hacks... no foul.

niels_boar

Word.

On the two Bailey calls, whether they were fouls or not, they were not fouls at the other end.  Geez, just give us a chance.  We probably would have pulled off the upset with a 23-11 disparity.  Give us either the Bailey pick or the obvious Berry walk-charge-walk and the Meeks hack on Macon on the trey, and we are probably in control of the final 30 seconds.
The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time.

colbs

My only hope in a game is that no matter how the game is called that it is called similar both ways.  This game wasn't.  If the Hogs were just settling for jump shots then maybe I could understand but it seemed like they drove to the basket quite a bit. 

phadedhawg

I will be the first to admit than even with the calls/no calls we still had our chances.  That doesn't mean it was a fair contest.  Anderson will have to raise his teams to a higher level to make up for the officiating.  Nolan did it and I'm sure Mike will too. 

Even when Nolan could defeat the blue bloods back in the day...I still raged over the officiating when it was as biased as it was last weekend.

My blood pressure still gets up when I think of the charge they called on Todd Day against Alabama.  Some games/calls are unforgivable.  There were more than a couple that will live in infamy against UNC.

Little Lady Back

Quote from: phadedhawg on March 24, 2017, 01:13:51 pm
I will be the first to admit than even with the calls/no calls we still had our chances.  That doesn't mean it was a fair contest.  Anderson will have to raise his teams to a higher level to make up for the officiating.  Nolan did it and I'm sure Mike will too. 

Even when Nolan could defeat the blue bloods back in the day...I still raged over the officiating when it was as biased as it was last weekend.

My blood pressure still gets up when I think of the charge they called on Todd Day against Alabama.  Some games/calls are unforgivable.  There were more than a couple that will live in infamy against UNC.

I will never forget that bs call on Day and others as well. Good post!
#NolanRichardsonCourt

Danny J

Now that is true and also our guards were spent HOWEVER I will note that when under 3 to go and UNC had only been called for 3 fouls the entire half they were able to play much more aggressive on defense without worrying about sending us to the line.

hogcard1964

+1000

This

daBoar

Quote from: SportsLife on March 23, 2017, 11:02:16 pm
The Hogs were jobbed; they weren't supposed to win or even keep it close.  As UNC ended up the only ACC team to survive last weekend, had they lost it would have cost a lot of ACC world fans to ignore the second week....killing attendance and TV viewership. Unfortunately, Arkansas is just a small state.

WorfHog

UNC waltzing through an overseeded Butler team. Maybe next year we won't get screwed as an eight seed and be "allowed" to advance.

NCAA is a joke in all sports.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: daBoar on March 24, 2017, 03:19:56 pm
The Hogs were jobbed; they weren't supposed to win or even keep it close.  As UNC ended up the only ACC team to survive last weekend, had they lost it would have cost a lot of ACC world fans to ignore the second week....killing attendance and TV viewership. Unfortunately, Arkansas is just a small state.

UNC was too big to fail so the refs had to bail them out.
Hogs up! Covid down!

lynbug

THIS......my jumpball friends is the only way we'll return to sharing favor with the big boys.

NotSoFastMyFriend

The biggest mystery is how Hannahs never made it to the foul line.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: NotSoFastMyFriend on March 25, 2017, 10:06:48 am
The biggest mystery is how Hannahs never made it to the foul line.

Absolutely disgusting.

We played amazingly well but just not well enough to overcome 8 vs 5.

WorfHog

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on March 25, 2017, 11:30:52 am
Absolutely disgusting.

We played amazingly well but just not well enough to overcome 8 vs 5.

Going in I knew the team would have to play their best game, and I think they did. The scoring drought coming out of the gate didn't help. But CMA and the team did everything they could do.

I see a lot of other coaches talking to the refs constantly. Maybe Mike needs to do this a bit more?