Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Guns at Razorback Stadium

Started by GoHogzzGo, March 22, 2017, 07:34:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

GoHogzzGo

https://www.seccountry.com/arkansas/guns-soon-allowed-at-arkansas-games

Will start off with saying I'm pro-gun rights. Own a couple but do not have a conceal carry license.

I think they really should exclude sporting events. Recipe for disaster, all it takes is one really bad decision.

Went to four home games last year. Not sure how I feel on this, will anyone actually carry in the stadium, I sure hope not? What do you guys think about this?
Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.

ricepig

Let's see what happens before it actually comes in play in 2018. The ASP still has to set up the course for the active shooter class and there are bills in the hopper that will address some locations. I'm pro-gun, but I don't care to see any at RRS, or any other sporting events.

GoHogzzGo

Quote from: ricepig on March 22, 2017, 07:44:38 pm
Let's see what happens before it actually comes in play in 2018. The ASP still has to set up the course for the active shooter class and there are bills in the hopper that will address some locations. I'm pro-gun, but I don't care to see any at RRS, or any other sporting events.

Fair enough. Gives some time for corrections and such.

ADavisTheGOAT

I don't like this at all. All it takes is for someone to get set off and shoot up the concourse.
Razorbacks | Redskins | Pelicans | LA Tech

Inhogswetrust

When you have a big police presence such as at Hog football games then nobody else needs to carry a gun. That's coming from a guy with a CCP.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

factchecker

I think the article says that firearms won't be allowed where alcohol is sold.

Maybe the answer is to allow alcohol to be sold throughout the stadium!
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

ricepig

Quote from: factchecker on March 22, 2017, 08:02:39 pm

Only private clubs that clearly post that no guns are allowed can prohibit guns under the bill.

tophawg19

there has already been a ton of guns in the stadium. A lot of folks have been carrying them for years
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

kodiakisland

If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

ricepig

Quote from: tophawg19 on March 22, 2017, 08:13:16 pm
there has already been a ton of guns in the stadium. A lot of folks have been carrying them for years

I've been carrying for years.....

LSUFan

Not good.

Stadium = Sitting Targets.

When I worked for the EBRSO back in the late 80s, we actually had to take our bullets out of our guns inside the LSU stadium in case some crazy got hold to them.
I ain't saying you babysitting, but my kids are all over your couch.

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on August 17, 2015, 02:46:52 pm
Sometimes, I think you're a wine-o who found a laptop in a dumpster.

factchecker

March 22, 2017, 09:25:55 pm #11 Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 10:47:23 pm by factchecker
The funniest thing (if you can find funny in this) is the amount of idiots who are going to think Jeff Long is responsible for putting guns in the stadium.  They won't even realize that it's our "guhment" who passed the bill.

The Razorbacks and The University of Arkansas won't be the only ones impacted.  Other colleges will have to abide by the policy.  Also, will high schools have to allow guns?  WMS will be included as well.

If I was an AD I would beef up security.  Install metal detectors and have officers ready to check documentation along with intoxication levels.  If you can't operate a vehicle under the influence then you shouldn't be able to carry either.

EDIT:

QuoteGov. Asa Hutchinson signed a law on Wednesday allowing weapons in various publicly funded buildings across Arkansas. The Razorbacks' home football stadium is included, as are basketball's Bud Walton Arena and other athletic venues at the university.

The law was known as HB1249 in Arkansas legislature. Other locations where guns are allowed include is the state Capitol and other buildings at state colleges. The law goes into effect Sept. 1.

The RF is privately funded.  We could/need to buy the land or whatever part of the stadium that is considered publicly funded and throw a big middle finger up to Asa.

This is one instance to where I think the Razorbacks and the fans need to make the decision not a politician.  Poll the season ticket holders and if the legislation passes then they can allow guns.

ADD:

My stance might come off as anti-gun.  I really don't care if someone wants to carry a gun as long as it's done legally and under strict guidelines.  I've always believed that if someone wants to kill then they can use knives, vehicles, or grocery bags (where there is a will - there is a way).  I'm not scared of the boogeyman or guns.

What I am concerned with is the fallout of this legislation.  Lost revenue from people being scared away.  Lost revenue b/c the NCAA steps in and disallows us to host regionals or track meets.  If this even hints to have a negative impact on the athletic department revenue and/or recruiting then the bill must be reversed.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Oklahawg

Good words factchecker.

If guns and alcohol are a bad combination, then toss in the emotions of a ballgame and that is combustible. I can't think of a good reason to have a gun at a ballgame. Heavy security presence already exists.

I will contribute extra to purchase the grounds of UA athletic venues for the purpose of avoiding this situation.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

hobhog

1HourToHogville

Foundation could start offering optional upgraded rentals of an armored chairback seat cushion.  Where some see problems others see opportunity.

Optimus Swine

I am always armed, whether on duty or off, but I'm not sure how I feel about a stadium full of civilians being armed.  Especially considering the high emotions and alcohol consumption involved in football games.
Half the lies they tell about me aren't true.
Yogi Berra

WooPigFarm

ImHogginIt

Good thing Penn Wagers retired  :razorback:

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: factchecker on March 22, 2017, 08:02:39 pm

Might as well since it's already outside the stadium for free.........................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

ricepig

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 23, 2017, 05:55:38 am
Might as well since it's already outside the stadium for free.........................

The alcohol is free?

HogShat

hawg IQ

Quote from: GoHogzzGo on March 22, 2017, 07:34:20 pm
https://www.seccountry.com/arkansas/guns-soon-allowed-at-arkansas-games

Will start off with saying I'm pro-gun rights. Own a couple but do not have a conceal carry license.

I think they really should exclude sporting events. Recipe for disaster, all it takes is one really bad decision.

Went to four home games last year. Not sure how I feel on this, will anyone actually carry in the stadium, I sure hope not? What do you guys think about this?
I'm for keeping our gun rights we have, but no guns at any games. Can't you just see some of us backwoods red necks getting all liquored up and shooting a ref or someone else, even accidently also -  could happen ?. Police has enough guns for games IMHO. Crazy Idea really !?
go hogs go !

East TN HAWG

No, more bad calls.  We should get Alabama and Kentucky treatment at home now. 

Horrible law. 

GoHogzzGo

hawg IQ

Quote from: GoHogzzGo on March 23, 2017, 07:41:29 am
http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/the-ncaa-needs-to-take-a-strong-stand-against-arkansas-law-that-will-allow-guns-in-stadiums-032317

Not the way we should be making national news. Front page on fox sports.
Horrible scenario to actually insert hog fans into. To begin with, the assessment could be accurate and happen almost at any stadium where guns were allowed. 
go hogs go !

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 23, 2017, 05:55:38 am

Where is this free alcohol you speak of?
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

factchecker

Quote from: GoHogzzGo on March 23, 2017, 07:41:29 am
http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/the-ncaa-needs-to-take-a-strong-stand-against-arkansas-law-that-will-allow-guns-in-stadiums-032317

Not the way we should be making national news. Front page on fox sports.

This is the type of crap I'm talking about. There is no way that this won't impact recruiting and revenue.

Asa is going to bring a ton of bad press onto Arkansas and more importantly the Razorbacks.  This will get worse before it gets better.  There will be protests on campuses throughout the state.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

hogcard1964

Quote from: factchecker on March 23, 2017, 07:59:26 am
This is the type of crap I'm talking about. There is no way that this won't impact recruiting and revenue.

Asa is going to bring a ton of bad press onto Arkansas and more importantly the Razorbacks.  This will get worse before it gets better.  There will be protests on campuses throughout the state.

There's no such thing as bad publicity.

redleg

1. There isn't suppose to be any alcohol in DWRRS. If you're bringing it in there, you're just being an a-hole and looking for trouble in the first place. If the NCAA relents and says alcohol can be sold, then fine. But until that happens...no.
2. The 2nd Amendment should be the only "gun permit" anyone needs to carry a firearm. Anything else is a violation of one's Constitutional rights. (and it doesn't matter if you like it or not...it's the law of the land)
3. Most people are reasonable, and either will not bring a gun into that environment, or will exercise good judgment and not endanger others.
4. Unless I read it wrong, and if I did feel free to correct me, but anyone wanting to carry firearms into this type of venue will be required to undergo an additional 8 hours of training (and pay for it too, I'm sure) to get an enhanced CCL.
:razorback:
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

hogcard1964

Quote from: redleg on March 23, 2017, 08:36:34 am
1. There isn't suppose to be any alcohol in DWRRS. If you're bringing it in there, you're just being an a-hole and looking for trouble in the first place. If the NCAA relents and says alcohol can be sold, then fine. But until that happens...no.
2. The 2nd Amendment should be the only "gun permit" anyone needs to carry a firearm. Anything else is a violation of one's Constitutional rights. (and it doesn't matter if you like it or not...it's the law of the land)
3. Most people are reasonable, and either will not bring a gun into that environment, or will exercise good judgment and not endanger others.
4. Unless I read it wrong, and if I did feel free to correct me, but anyone wanting to carry firearms into this type of venue will be required to undergo an additional 8 hours of training (and pay for it too, I'm sure) to get an enhanced CCL.

That is correct.

I like the law.  +1000

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ricepig on March 23, 2017, 07:03:09 am
The alcohol is free?

If you came to our tailgate it was..................

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: redleg on March 23, 2017, 08:36:34 am

It's also the law of the land to be able to drink alcohol. You don't understand that not all rights are sacroscant in all places at all times.

BassinHawg

Not gonna happen! SEC Country needs to stop.
"It is what it is." has replaced "Yesssss Sirrrrr!!!!"

DeltaBoy

Bad deal to have guns at Football games.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

waphill

Quote from: hogcard1964 on March 23, 2017, 08:19:57 am
There's no such thing as bad publicity.

University of Missouri disagrees with you.

hogcard1964

Quote from: waphill on March 23, 2017, 09:08:56 am
University of Missouri disagrees with you.

Their enrollment is back up.

ricepig

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 23, 2017, 08:43:43 am
If you came to our tailgate it was..................

Who provided it to you for free?

theshiva

The only argument that I've heard that is remotely valid is protection on the walk to and from the stadium. I don't think that's much of an issue at Razorback Stadium, but I remember having the discussion acouple months ago when there was alot of political violence around baseball stadiums.

ricepig

There will be a bill introduced that exempts UAMS and sporting events from this measure. The governor made sure he had that assurance before he signed it,of course, it is the Arkansas state legislature, so anything is possible.

HF#1

What physical measures currently in place keep folks from carrying a concealed weapons into DWRRS? Besides signs and laws?
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

hogcard1964

Quote from: HF#1 on March 23, 2017, 09:40:06 am
What physical measures currently in place keep folks from carrying a concealed weapons into DWRRS? Besides signs and laws?

Nothing

HF#1

Quote from: hogcard1964 on March 23, 2017, 09:41:07 am
Nothing

So what's the big deal again? Literally nothing changes other than the government giving permission? Stop the world I wanna get off.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

HF#1

Love when the government says I can exercise my rights freely. Thank you for being such a generous gubmint.

HF#1

I do know that at Verizon Arena, you walk through a metal detector when entering for the basketball game every year. Anyone know if Verizon Arena was on the list?

hogcard1964

Quote from: HF#1 on March 23, 2017, 09:44:05 am
Love when the government says I can exercise my rights freely. Thank you for being such a generous gubmint.

+1000

Agreed.

factchecker

Quote from: HF#1 on March 23, 2017, 09:40:06 am

Nothing.  The only measures they have are the clear bag policy and the brisk (very brisk) bag check.  I have heard that the stadium expansion might include metal detectors or at least wands for the security/ushers.

Every pro stadium I've been to has metal detectors.  Beyond costs, I don't see any reason for us not to have them as well.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ricepig on March 23, 2017, 09:29:51 am
Who provided it to you for free?

Not saying we got it free but we would let friends and others come by and join us.

rhames

So cowboys say there is a mass shooting at a football game

How do the cops know not to take you out when you pull out your gun?
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: HF#1 on March 23, 2017, 09:45:42 am
I do know that at Verizon Arena, you walk through a metal detector when entering for the basketball game every year. Anyone know if Verizon Arena was on the list?

Not sure but all the NBA arena's I've been to do that as well. I'm actually surprised that the NCAA does not require it for entering football stadiums and all basketball arena's.

HF#1

Quote from: factchecker on March 23, 2017, 09:51:26 am
Nothing.  The only measures they have are the clear bag policy and the brisk (very brisk) bag check.  I have heard that the stadium expansion might include metal detectors or at least wands for the security/ushers.

Every pro stadium I've been to has metal detectors.  Beyond costs, I don't see any reason for us not to have them as well.

So I could carry a conceal weapon in DWRRS before despite the UofA not wanting me to, but now that it has been ok'ed by the Government, it is a problem.  What about the tailgating areas? What about the golf course at WMS? That is where all the drinking takes place. I'd feel pretty confident in saying there are guns in vehicles all throughout those areas on game day.

Ultimately, this is a non issue brought to light simply because we have been granted the ability to do so. Until now, anyone wanting to do harm, could do so regardless of laws. That threat isn't made greater by this.