Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Game 22 THREAD:#24 Arkansas(17-4, 3-0 SEC) vs New Orleans(13-8, 3-3 Southland)

Started by A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S, March 22, 2017, 04:33:32 am

Previous topic - Next topic

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

#24 ARKANSAS vs NEW ORLEANS
at FAYETTEVILLE,Ar., BAUM STADIUM

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

WELCOME TO RAZORBACK BASEBALL 2017 - HOGVILLE.net OFFICIAL GAME 22 THREAD
         #24 ARKANSAS (17-4, 3-0 SEC) vs NEW ORLEANS (13-8, 3-3 Southland)

Wednesday's First Pitch is set for 6:00 pm and WILL NOT BE TELEVISED . This game will be streamed live online on SEC Network Plus accessible at WatchESPN.com and the WatchESPN app. 

Play-by-Play Narrative:
For many years, Hogville members who love Razorback Baseball have come together to produce these game threads with play-by-play narrative for those that depend on it as their only source and for those that just simply enjoy it. These threads have been a foundation for great Hogville discussions and that tradition continues today as this is NOT a read only thread (all Hogville posting rules apply).

JHicks3636 will provide the play-by-play narrative for this game.  Razorbacks#1, A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S, Maddhog, Wisco Pig, sir-pigs-a-lot, ucahogfan and Cornfed Pig will assist with stats, back up, and support. We hope that the many other regular posters will join in also and continue to add quality input. If you are new to Extra Innings and you understand the rules, feel free to join in the conversation. If you have questions, read this:  http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=626632.0

Click below for: The Fight Song:
http://fightmusic.com/mp3/sec/Arkansas__Arkansas_Fight_Song__(Play,_Sing,_Play).mp3

Click below for: University Of Arkansas Alma Mater 
http://fightmusic.com/mp3/sec/Arkansas__University_Of_Arkansas_Alma_Mater.mp3

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

bulldog04

Gates will be starting at 3rd.  I'm very interested to see how his ABs go

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Quote from: bulldog04 on March 22, 2017, 05:26:20 am
Gates will be starting at 3rd.  I'm very interested to see how his ABs go

#3 Jared Gates | Infielder | Junior | 6-0 | 190 | Wichita, Kan. / Wichita Northwest HS / Iowa West. CC

Gates to Debut as Diamond Hog
http://www.nwahomepage.com/razorback-nation/gates-to-debut-as-diamond-hog/677493797

Arkansas head baseball coach Dave Van Horn eagerly penciled in Jared Gates at first base before the season started but a preseason hand injury sidelined the former Iowa Western Community College .424 hitter for the Hogs' first 21 games.

Following a Tuesday morning practice Van Horn announced that Gates will play 3rd base when Arkansas takes on New Orleans at home on Wednesday.

"He's down there swinging it pretty good," Van Horn said of Gates who was working nearby in a batting cage.  "I'm excited to get him out there. He's one of the more popular guys on the team. Kind of quiet. Tough kid and you know, I think the players want to see him play as much as the coaches do."

Gates will move to 1st base when 3rd baseman Hunter Wilson comes back from a foot injury he suffered March 14th while batting against Alcorn State. Van Horn indicated that Wilson, who was hitting .310 at the time of his injury, is close to returning.

"I don't know if he'll be ready for this weekend," Van Horn told reporters. "I am going to take him (to Missouri) on the 27 man roster. Maybe I could play him on Sunday if I needed to or put him in there defensively."

Arkansas is fielding at a .976 clip, currently good for 5th in the SEC but those numbers could improve with Gates and Wilson at the corners as both are considered to be exceptional defensive players.

After sweeping Mississippi State on the opening weekend of SEC play the Diamond Hogs moved to 17-4 overall with a five-game winning streak. They sent the Bulldogs home empty with a combination of solid pitching and timely hitting. Arkansas leads the conference in strikeouts and home runs.

"It's been fun," senior right fielder Jake Arledge said of the Hog's pitching.  "Right, you know, first inning, get three outs and pretty much three strikeouts and then come back in and we always say, 'The door is open.' Like, 'We can score. They haven't got anything on us.' "

The team's 30 home runs in 24 games is impressive when you consider that Mississippi State and South Carolina are second in the league with 21 apiece.

"We have a lot of guys who are smart hitters," left fielder Luke Bonfield, who has four jacks so far in 2017, explained. "You don't always need to have the biggest guys. You end up looking for pitches and you get into good counts and that's when the home runs come."

"We don't expect to hit a lot of home runs," catcher Grant Koch added. "It's just the result of a good approach."

Arkansas hit just one home run in Sunday's 6-1 win over Mississippi State, a 7th inning solo shot by Carson Shaddy, but completed the series sweep mostly by playing small ball.

"We can win a game 'cause of a home run or we could win a game just nickel-and-diming you a little bit with a base hit and sac bunt," Bonfield noted. "Then a guy hits a single to drive in a run or something like that."

"We can't live and die with the home run," Arledge stressed. "It's great to move guys over. Get people in position and score 'em in with two outs."

Arkansas will square off against the hottest team in the conference during a weekend trip to Columbia, Missouri. After losing its season opener 6-2 to Eastern Michigan, Missouri has reeled off 20 straight wins including a three-game sweep of South Carolina.

"They've got most of their players back," Van Horn explained. "They have a pre season all American in (RHP) Tanner Houck. They're projecting him to go in the first round, maybe even the first ten picks. He's going to be a major challenge. They've got two or three big arms in the bullpen and they've got a big kid that can throw the ball up to 100mph. They'll start a lefty against us on Saturday."

Before Van Horn can turn his full attention to the Tigers he's got to come up with the mid-week pitching to deal with a New Orleans lineup that features five .300 hitters.

"We want to make sure that we're loaded and ready to go against Missouri," Van Horn admitted, "but the task at hand is to figure out how to stop New Orleans and our plan right now is to start (LHP Kacey) Murphy. Just let him go for a little bit and kind of go from there."

The Privateers are somewhat of a mystery team, dropping to 13-8 on the season after a Tuesday night 7-2 loss to Missouri State. But included in New Orleans' schedule is a pair of wins over LSU.

"LSU's a good team," Koch stressed. "LSU always plays a good mid-week schedule and that shows how good New Orleans is so we've got to be ready."

"They beat LSU twice. They're a good team and they're going to come in and try to beat us so we've got to take care of business," Arledge echoed.

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Razorbacks#1

"You sleep safely in your beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

THUNDER!

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

bosshog84

JonClaudeVanHam

Really excited for this one. I'm anxious to see Murphy's continued development as a pitcher. He hasn't had much said about him, but he has been great this year.
Quote from: rhames on Yesterday at 10:56:37 amMusselman wants the UofA Transit Director Job.

ThisTeetsTaken

That article says that Missouri swept S.CAR.  I thought they played Bama.
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

ricepig

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on March 22, 2017, 10:35:27 am
That article says that Missouri swept S.CAR.  I thought they played Bama.

They did, journalists......or editors......or copy editors........

Razorbacks#1

0               6 p.m.                      0

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | R  | H   | E  |LOB
NO         |    |    |    |    |    |    |    |    |  0  |  0  | 0  | 0 
ARK       |    |    |    |    |    |    |    |    |  0  |  0  | 0  | 0 
"You sleep safely in your beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

THUNDER!

JHicks3636

Pitching match-up

NO         DeMayo 0-3, 6.57era

Arkansas Murphy  2-0, 3.27era

JHicks3636

I'll be going solely off the stats tonight. I am getting the famous 0066 message on my ESPN Watch and I don't have time to work on it.

Razorbacks#1

0               Top 1st                      0

NO         |    |    |    |    |    |    |    |    |  0  |  0  | 0  | 0 

THUNDER!

JHicks3636

Due up in the 1st for New Orleans(hereafter NO)

1. Palmer
2. Capielano
3. Dean

Razorbacks#1

THUNDER!

JHicks3636

Palmer leads off the games for NO, strikes out swinging on a 1-2 pitch

JHicks3636

JHicks3636

Dean starts 0-2, gets to 2-2, goes full, walks and stands at 1st with 2 outs.

JHicks3636

Clarke, batting clean-up, starts 2-0, 3-0, 3-1, walks and 2 are on with 2 outs

JHicks3636

10 of Murphy's first 11 pitches were strikes, now 8 of last 9 have been balls

JHicks3636

Magee gets down 0-2, 1-2, grounds out to short to end the inning

0-0 after 1/2

Razorbacks#1

0               Bot 1st                      0

NO       0|    |    |    |    |    |    |    |    |  0  |  0  | 0  | 2 

THUNDER!

JHicks3636

Kicking things off offensively for Arkansas

1. Arledge        .373
2. Spanberger   .203
3. Bonfield        .298

JHicks3636

JHicks3636

Spanberger, hitting just above the Mendoza line, 0-1, flies out to right, 1 gone

JHicks3636

JHicks3636

Koch, who was just ranked the #3 catcher thus far in the college season, pops out to right on a 1-0 pitch, 2 down and 2 on

JHicks3636

Shaddy also flies to right on a 1-0 pitch, no damage for us

0-0 after 1 full

JHicks3636

Razorbacks#1

0               Top 2nd                      0

NO       0|    |    |    |    |    |    |    |    |  0  |  0  | 0  | 2 
ARK     0|    |    |    |    |    |    |    |    |  0  |  0  | 0  | 2 

THUNDER!

SPAL

JHicks3636

JHicks3636

JHicks3636

Randolph gets ahead 2-1, 2-2, strikes out swinging, runner at 1st, 1 out

Maddhog

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

JHicks3636

Robinson grounds into the 6-4-3 twin killing on the first pitch he sees

0-0 after 1 1/2

Maddhog

JHicks3636

In the Hog 2nd we should see

6. Cole
7. Gates, our first look at him
8. McFarland

Razorbacks#1

0               Bot 2nd                      0

NO       0| 0 |    |    |    |    |    |    |    |  0  |  0  | 0  | 2 
ARK     0|    |    |    |    |    |    |    |    |  0  |  0  | 0  | 2 

THUNDER!

JHicks3636

Cole, dreaming of the Mendoza line, gets behind 1-2, 2-2, singles to left just to show me, on 1st, 0 out

JHicks3636

Gates goes down 0-2, strikes out on 4 pitches(first 3 were fouls)

JHicks3636

Maddhog

JHicks3636

Biggers grounds out to 1st on the first pitch

0-0 after 2 full innings