Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Coaching Staff Changes

Started by NWAHog479, March 20, 2017, 08:45:27 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HossHog

I do not see a problem with mike hiring people he trusts. I think thT is a big part of it is having people he can trust and people that knows how he wants to play.

parallaxpig

noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

East TN HAWG

We need ace recruiters.  Talent takes care of a lot of problems in coaching. 

Swinesong1

So y'all huddled up and came up with this as the new talking point huh?   Everything else gets checked off so you have to find something else. 

factchecker

March 23, 2017, 08:30:19 am #54 Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 09:07:06 am by factchecker
Quote from: Swinesong1 on March 23, 2017, 08:21:41 am
So y'all huddled up and came up with this as the new talking point huh?   Everything else gets checked off so you have to find something else.

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

RazorPiggie

Quote from: 010HogFan on March 20, 2017, 04:32:20 pm
He is a nut. Sounds like a local high school broadcast with him on the air.

This.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: BoarnSupremacy on March 22, 2017, 08:59:56 pm

A much much better senior assistant coach can be hired for that.  Watkins has been a loser for years before hooking up with gravy train Mike.   Hope they get rid of him and others.
I hope hogville gets rid of you and others. See, it works both ways ;D.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Youngsta71701

Quote from: BoarnSupremacy on March 22, 2017, 08:42:30 pm
Good G!  This entire staff has zero coaching experience at all other than Watkins who lost 70% of his games as head coach.  Even Mizzou has Shields as an assistant.  This whole assistant staff is the worst experienced in the SEC.  Mike gave them a job.
Mike gave them a job because they know his system and they know what he wants from his coaches and his players. That's a pretty good reason to hire someone if you ask me.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: East TN HAWG on March 23, 2017, 07:39:44 am
We need ace recruiters.  Talent takes care of a lot of problems in coaching.
The recruiting has gotten better real fast since Scotty Thurman came on board. Don't know exactly what that means but just saying. He could be that big time recruiter we've been searching for.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Rbill on March 23, 2017, 12:18:03 am
Just out of curiosity, can someone tell me what our assistants do? I mean that question seriously, in case you were wondering. What are each of their responsibilities and specialties?
I get the question but this isn't football. I'm sure Scotty Thurman is the shooting coach though. Has to be. Right? I would also love for Pat Bradley to go up there and help with that. Although his plate is pretty full these days. Prettiest stroke I've seen at Arkansas.

DeltaBoy

Add Todd Day or Lee Mayberry.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Good G!  This entire staff has zero coaching experience at all other than Watkins who lost 70% of his games as head coach.  Even Mizzou has Shields as an assistant.  This whole assistant staff is the worst experienced in the SEC.  Mike gave them a job.

First, Melvin did not lose 70% of his games as a HC. It was 57%. He was great at Charlotte. Struggled at A&M like other good coaches have (Kermit Davis at Middle Tennessee comes to mind as a good example)

Second, TJ had been an Asst. for 12 year now with multiple HC job interviews with lower level schools despite not being the lead asst.

Smithian

I think it should said it's tough to evaluate the value of an assistant if you're not in the industry. I know it's a hypocritical thing for me to post after sharing my opinions on the previous page, but it's true. Think of Pelphrey's staffs. I thought outside of Rob Evans that all of them were lucky to have a job like they did at Arkansas. Tom Ostrom is now at Dayton, Bret Nelson is at Marquette, and Isaac Brown is at Wichita State. That's three good programs.

I don't really understand the desire to add Hogs from the past who aren't proven coaches. Players today generally don't know who Todd Day, Lee Mayberry or Corliss Williamson are. Our recruiting won't improve because they're dazzled by their star power. Let's get someone proven to be able to do the job needed, if indeed there will be an opening.

Little Lady Back

A much much better senior assistant coach can be hired for that.  Watkins has been a loser for years before hooking up with gravy train Mike.   Hope they get rid of him and others.

Quote from: lefty08 on March 22, 2017, 09:10:39 pm
We could start by taking your loser ass out the back and breaking your keyboard over your mullet, but we don't.  We should, but we dont

Someone sure needs to!
#NolanRichardsonCourt

azhog10

Here is our staff's experience.....

Melvin Watkins - 39 years with previous Power 5 Head Coaching experience
TJ Cleaveland - Over 10 years coaching experience all at Power 5 schools
Scotty Thurman - 7 years in the program at Arkansas and first year assistant

Matt Zimmerman - Has been coaching for over 20 years. Was an assistant at UAB, Mizzou, and Arkansas
Jeff Daniels - Again over 20 years coaching experience including close to 10 years as a head coach at a Division II University. Worked with Anderson at UAB, Mizzou, and Arkansas.

I get that everyone wants former head coaches, but there's nothing wrong with career assistant coaches. Also, whomever the next great "Head Coach" is. They started as an assistant somewhere. Every assistant had to get their first gig at some point. As someone who coaches high school basketball I didn't get a lot of jobs I interviewed for because I didn't have Head Coaching experience. Now that I have it, it pretty much gets me an interview whenever I want it. I wish more people would look at people who may not have the head coaching experience because at some point continuing to hire head coaches who didn't succeed multiple times becomes the definition of insanity. I'm not saying Arkansas is that type of school that should take chances on first time head coaches or first time assistants. But at the same time if the fit is right, and you think they have what it takes then go for it.

Hawg Red

Overall record and SEC record (ranked by # SEC wins) during Anderson's staff's tenure at Arkansas:

Kentucky: 184-40, 87-19 (SEC)
Florida: 154-70, 73-33 (SEC)
Arkansas: 128-74, 60-46 (SEC)
Ole Miss: 129-75, 60-46 (SEC)
Georgia: 110-89, 56-50 (SEC)
Vanderbilt: 115-88, 55-51 (SEC)
Alabama: 112-88, 54-53 (SEC)
Tennessee: 110-92, 53-51 (SEC)
Texas A&M: 115-85, 51-57 (SEC)
LSU: 108-86, 49-57 (SEC)
Missouri: 103-96, 42-66 (SEC)
South Carolina: 104-94, 40-66 (SEC)
Mississippi State: 88-105, 34-72 (SEC)
Auburn: 82-109, 30-76 (SEC)

That "worst experienced SEC assistant staff" is tied for the 3rd most SEC wins over the time they've been at Arkansas. Do you think that might qualify as "experience?"

HOGINTENNESSEE

March 23, 2017, 11:00:05 am #67 Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 11:20:40 am by HOGINTENNESSEE
Quote from: Karma on March 23, 2017, 09:39:59 am
I don't really understand the desire to add Hogs from the past who aren't proven coaches. Players today generally don't know who Todd Day, Lee Mayberry or Corliss Williamson are. Our recruiting won't improve because they're dazzled by their star power. Let's get someone proven to be able to do the job needed, if indeed there will be an opening.

Do you really think kids aren't impressed if an Asst who went the school they are recruiting that kid too and spend 7+ years in the NBA in addition to going to Final 4's at that school?

You can't be serious

RazorPiggie

I think Corliss could do that since he has multiple connections in the NBA.

Hawg Red

You're clueless if you think players today in Memphis don't know Todd Day.

NWAHog479

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 23, 2017, 11:18:18 am
You're clueless if you don't think players today in Memphis don't know Todd Day.

Amen, guy was the assistant on Team Penny with Penny Hardaway, the team that the top players in Memphis WANT to play on...

HoopS

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 23, 2017, 10:52:46 am
Overall record and SEC record (ranked by # SEC wins) during Anderson's staff's tenure at Arkansas:

That "worst experienced SEC assistant staff" is tied for the 3rd most SEC wins over the time they've been at Arkansas. Do you think that might qualify as "experience?"

I always love these conversations where people who may not know a lick about a sport and certainly doesn't even know the first thing about what each assistant truly brings to the table, thinks they have a better handle on what needs to be done behind the scenes. Where they've never spent a day. But they know. And they also know what the football staff needs to be doing and who the weak links are even though they have never talked to them or witnessed them teaching technique or breaking down film. They just, know. All things sports.

I'm just thankful to get to read all of the free info they share.

Tusks

Would love to see the Hogs move past FL in the next 3-5 years.  It should be them nipping at the Cats, not FL.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Slater

You obviously do not follow basketball. Melvin played in the Final 4 and was a very successful coach at Charlotte, granted he did poorly at A&M but so have a lot of other good coaches. Carry on, might want to do some research from time to time though.
FASTEST 40 ILUVMIKE

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

BoarnSupremacy

This.  TJ may have earned it by now but IMO we have too much inexperience and bad experience on staff.  Being an ex player doesn't make you a coach.  And losing almost 60% of your games (like Watkins did over several years) when your in control does in fact make you a lousy coach at any level or responsibility or school.

factchecker

Quote from: BoarnSupremacy on March 23, 2017, 05:11:57 pm
And losing almost 60% of your games (like Watkins did over several years) when your in control does in fact make you a lousy coach at any level or responsibility or school.

Those stats keep changing.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

BoarnSupremacy

Losing over 50% of your games is bad at any level.  I just think Mike could have a better staff that could actually help coach.  I don't think he has that for whatever reason.  I may be wrong but that is my strong perception.  I am proud of the job they did last 10 games.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: BoarnSupremacy on March 23, 2017, 05:38:26 pm
Losing over 50% of your games is bad at any level.  I just think Mike could have a better staff that could actually help coach.  I don't think he has that for whatever reason.  I may be wrong but that is my strong perception.  I am proud of the job they did last 10 games.

You have zero idea of what you are,talking about. This staff has produced better results than a staff made of guys who are at higher profile jobs now.

I think you get your info from this board.

BoarnSupremacy

Yes it does qualify.  I am a total hog fan.  I just want hogs to be best they can be.  3rd in the SEC isn't where hogs should be happy.  I should be going to Memphis to see hogs in sweet sixteen this weekend.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: BoarnSupremacy on March 23, 2017, 06:36:05 pm

Yes it does qualify.  I am a total hog fan.  I just want hogs to be best they can be.  3rd in the SEC isn't where hogs should be happy.  I should be going to Memphis to see hogs in sweet sixteen this weekend.

Having to Change your statements when the fact don't align with your factless opinion

Atlhogfan1

If you are going to post records especially in conference you should address SOS i.e. how many times a season a team plays UK or other top teams.   It makes a difference. 

This staff should probably stay incestuous.  Like thoughts. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

BoarnSupremacy

OK.  Be happy with 3rd place in conference.  It was just my opinion.  Michigan and Oregon are playing.

BoarnSupremacy

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 23, 2017, 06:52:42 pm
If you are going to post records especially in conference you should address SOS i.e. how many times a season a team plays UK or other top teams.   It makes a difference. 

We will

onebadrubi

Quote from: azhog10 on March 23, 2017, 10:28:52 am
Here is our staff's experience.....

Melvin Watkins - 39 years with previous Power 5 Head Coaching experience
TJ Cleaveland - Over 10 years coaching experience all at Power 5 schools
Scotty Thurman - 7 years in the program at Arkansas and first year assistant

Matt Zimmerman - Has been coaching for over 20 years. Was an assistant at UAB, Mizzou, and Arkansas
Jeff Daniels - Again over 20 years coaching experience including close to 10 years as a head coach at a Division II University. Worked with Anderson at UAB, Mizzou, and Arkansas.

I get that everyone wants former head coaches, but there's nothing wrong with career assistant coaches. Also, whomever the next great "Head Coach" is. They started as an assistant somewhere. Every assistant had to get their first gig at some point. As someone who coaches high school basketball I didn't get a lot of jobs I interviewed for because I didn't have Head Coaching experience. Now that I have it, it pretty much gets me an interview whenever I want it. I wish more people would look at people who may not have the head coaching experience because at some point continuing to hire head coaches who didn't succeed multiple times becomes the definition of insanity. I'm not saying Arkansas is that type of school that should take chances on first time head coaches or first time assistants. But at the same time if the fit is right, and you think they have what it takes then go for it.

You are skewing numbers to slightly fit your agenda.  Cleveland and zimmerman especially need astericks next to their resume line you posted because it's always been under Mike. 

I'm not inserting myself in to this topic except to say that experience under the same person is not always great.  I also am not knocking TJ here either.  I've said it in the past and in other sports, a coach's recruiting abilities are often easy to analyze.  A coaches true ability to coach however are not as easily to analyze, but when you seem a team get better throughout the year, that coach is owed credit.  We saw that this year and this staff is owed credit for that. 

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 23, 2017, 11:18:18 am
You're clueless if you think players today in Memphis don't know Todd Day.
Memphis and Day I agree.  But most players today have no idea who Scotty Thurman is. We had a recent article about a recruit that did not know that Thurman hit "the shot."  The average recruit doesn't know who Todd Day or Lee Mayberry is. Most recruits weren't born the last time we were relevant.

FineAsSwine

This staff should probably stay incestuous.

Boy, you are really working hard to create a negative connotation. Not surprised because I think you have a personal dislike for this staff, and CMA in particular, that colors everything you post.

But, oh well, you may as well bite your tongue and grit your teeth because CMA is going to be here. Might as well try to enjoy the ride.
Hogs up! Covid down!

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: FineAsSwine on March 24, 2017, 11:37:28 am
Boy, you are really working hard to create a negative connotation. Not surprised because I think you have a personal dislike for this staff, and CMA in particular, that colors everything you post.

But, oh well, you may as well bite your tongue and grit your teeth because CMA is going to be here. Might as well try to enjoy the ride.

I'm not the one who views Anderson in a personal way.  I have no dislike for him at all.  I dislike his supporters who view him as personal to them.  Get their feelings hurt when fans are critical.  View criticism of him as having to be personal or racial because he is so nearly perfect instead of viewing him as a coach hired to do a job and very high profile one where criticism comes with it.  Those who believed he was the only answer for the program and tear down other parts of our program's history not connected to him or Nolan.  Those who went to his camps or played pick up games with him or have gotten to meet him or TJ or Zimmerman and think they have some personal connection.  I don't have a personal issue with Anderson at all.  Not many issues with his coaching as he is a good coach.  Good enough.  Recruiting not so much.  Takes what he can get.  But fortunately for him the state and maybe other connections(Smith to ST's family) will provide talent for the upcoming seasons.

My comment about the staff was in relation to we have some unique things we do in terms of things like defensive decision making - or should if we ever get the players to do it - and other m.o.  It would be best for continuity to not bring in outsiders and try to blend in this way of thinking.  Watkins has made it long enough to be indoctrinated. 

Yes he will be here for as long as he wants.  I've posted that many times.  He is a good enough coach and the upcoming incoming talent along with his coaching will bring success.  The other problem I have is it wouldn't matter if it doesn't as he is here for as long as he wants anyway.  Positive is though it does look like success is coming.  I'm enjoying it. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

azhog10

Quote from: onebadrubi on March 24, 2017, 10:44:22 am
You are skewing numbers to slightly fit your agenda.  Cleveland and zimmerman especially need astericks next to their resume line you posted because it's always been under Mike. 

I'm not inserting myself in to this topic except to say that experience under the same person is not always great.  I also am not knocking TJ here either.  I've said it in the past and in other sports, a coach's recruiting abilities are often easy to analyze.  A coaches true ability to coach however are not as easily to analyze, but when you seem a team get better throughout the year, that coach is owed credit.  We saw that this year and this staff is owed credit for that.
Zimmerman's college experience was all under Anderson but he was a high school basketball coach with a lot of success in small conference Arkansas basketball. That said, it's not uncommon for a few coaches to stay with someone until they finally get their own gig. Some stay with that person their entire career. It doesn't negate their experience as a college assistant at all. The numbers aren't skewed, but yes for TJ and Zimmerman their college experience have come all under Anderson.

Also to note, Zimmerman was a student assistant under Nolan Richardson in the early 90's and TJ obviously played for Nolan. So I guess you could say they have experience under another coach....although that coach happens to be whom Anderson coached under for many years.

azhog10

Boy, you are really working hard to create a negative connotation.
He knows no other way.

hobhog

OT- John Thompson III let go at Georgetown. End of an era there no doubt. Ewing rumored to be considered.......

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: hobhog on March 24, 2017, 04:15:54 pm
OT- John Thompson III let go at Georgetown. End of an era there no doubt. Ewing rumored to be considered.......

Expected.  JTIII hasn't done much since F4.  After Esherick and JTIII they want another nostalgia hire?

Letsroll1200

Quote from: hobhog on March 24, 2017, 04:15:54 pm

Bad move

BoarnSupremacy

This was the wrong season to bring this stuff up.  2 years ago would have been more appropriate when there was so many newbies.  Somebody on the staff pushed a button 10 games ago and they started playing.  That's great.

BoarnSupremacy

Quote from: azhog10 on March 24, 2017, 01:20:04 pm
Zimmerman's college experience was all under Anderson but he was a high school basketball coach with a lot of success in small conference Arkansas basketball. That said, it's not uncommon for a few coaches to stay with someone until they finally get their own gig. Some stay with that person their entire career. It doesn't negate their experience as a college assistant at all. The numbers aren't skewed, but yes for TJ and Zimmerman their college experience have come all under Anderson.

Also to note, Zimmerman was a student assistant under Nolan Richardson in the early 90's and TJ obviously played for Nolan. So I guess you could say they have experience under another coach....although that coach happens to be whom Anderson coached under for many years.

What is Zimmerman's job now?  I'm not sure I get whats going on with him.

Rbill

Quote from: azhog10 on March 24, 2017, 01:20:04 pm

You really need to stop while you're ahead. You have to admit your arguments are getting a little funny. The people you are debating are roughly saying some of our coaches didn't/don't earn their jobs because it's like a family and only have experience under Mike. I'm not saying that - that's just what the debate is roughly.  It doesn't help to mention just how far back they go and their ties to Nolan.

Rbill

Seriously I have no side in this debate, but can nobody tell me what our coaches do? That was a serious question. I really want to know this about our team. I realize it's not as defined as football. But #1 I see no reason why it shouldn't be. And #2 They must have defined responsibilities or specialties on the staff. Don't we know them?

PonderinHog

Quote from: Rbill on March 25, 2017, 12:02:44 pm
Seriously I have no side in this debate, but can nobody tell me what our coaches do? That was a serious question. I really want to know this about our team. I realize it's not as defined as football. But #1 I see no reason why it shouldn't be. And #2 They must have defined responsibilities or specialties on the staff. Don't we know them?
I've heard on here that Watkins coaches the bigs.  Don't you figure Mayberry  coaches guards and Thurman the forwards and shooting drills, etc.  In other words, I have no clue.

rzrbackramsfan

Wow what a joke of an argument.  Going over 6 seasons is more than enough to smooth over and scheduling irregularities.  Also, you're asking for something that can't even be done just so you can save face in this argument.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on March 25, 2017, 03:39:55 pm
Wow what a joke of an argument.  Going over 6 seasons is more than enough to smooth over and scheduling irregularities.  Also, you're asking for something that can't even be done just so you can save face in this argument.

It can be done homer.  In conf SOS is available and conf schedules are certainly available.  Bama and AU played easiest in conf schedules this season.  Hogs 12th in conf schedule.  Uga toughest.  Last season SC played easiest. 14-15 Hogs played easiest.   Unbalanced conf schedules make a difference.  NCAA specifically mentions it in their team evaluations for NCAAT.   

No argument.  Just added context for the numbers.