Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

ESPN - ACC Proves It Was Overrated

Started by razobak, March 20, 2017, 06:22:24 am

Previous topic - Next topic

razobak

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/18957070/acc-teams-ncaa-tournament-struggles-prove-conference-was-overrated

Only one of their teams even made it to the Sweet 16 (UNC) and this article even calls out the questionable officiating that helped them get there. Without that, it would have been four SEC teams in the S16 to zero ACC teams.

QuoteBut after a weekend that began on a high note with Notre Dame's nail-biter over Princeton and Virginia's victory against a UNC Wilmington team that was a trendy upset pick, now the entire ACC's hopes for tourney relevance rest on the team from Chapel Hill, the one that needed a couple of favorable whistles to get past Arkansas on Sunday night in Greenville.
Go Hogs, Beat Refs!

PORKULATOR

Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

Danny J

Quote from: PORKULATOR on March 20, 2017, 06:50:40 am
Just a few favorable calls.
Yeah...I think it was 25 called on us and 8 on them? That's a huge difference. Outscored us by 15 on the line? That's crazy

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Danny J on March 20, 2017, 07:14:16 am
Yeah...I think it was 25 called on us and 8 on them? That's a huge difference. Outscored us by 15 on the line? That's crazy
Come on man you know we're the only team that fouls. Those other teams don't even know what that is ;).
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

XavierZane

These sorts of recriminations are as useless as NCAA apologies about poor officiating.  It changes nothing.  The ridiculous bias for the ACC, fostered in large part by ESPN, already kept more deserving teams out of the tournament, just like the ineptitude of the officials already cost several teams their games.  And the media hype will start all over next season, with ESPN leading the charge again.

Chief_Osceola

The ACC was absolutely overrated all year.  There should be 4 SEC teams playing next weekend, and the ACC should all be at home.  There were 4 decent teams in the ACC.  Duke and Notre Dame lives and dies by the 3, and when they don't shoot well they lose.  FSU is freakish athletically, but has no idea how to run a half-court offense and attack a zone defense.  UNC got favorable officiating.  The no-charge no-travel play was just terrible.  The other teams from the ACC that made the tournament got in because of conference bias, similar to how the SEC is treated in football.

From here on out I'll be rooting for Butler, Xavier, and maybe Gonzaga.

PonderinHog

So close.  Four SEC teams in the Sweet Sixteen?  That would have been sick!

FineAsSwine

Quote from: XavierZane on March 20, 2017, 11:23:19 am
These sorts of recriminations are as useless as NCAA apologies about poor officiating.  It changes nothing.  The ridiculous bias for the ACC, fostered in large part by ESPN, already kept more deserving teams out of the tournament, just like the ineptitude of the officials already cost several teams their games.  And the media hype will start all over next season, with ESPN leading the charge again.
Hogs up! Covid down!

widespreadsooie

Preseason polls have to be abolished, this would do wonders for seeding teams properly and treating bubble teams fairly.

Chief_Osceola

Quote from: widespreadsooie on March 20, 2017, 12:17:00 pm
Preseason polls have to be abolished, this would do wonders for seeding teams properly and treating bubble teams fairly.

I agree.  They should be abolished across the board.  Football, basketball, baseball, etc.

bphi11ips

Quote from: XavierZane on March 20, 2017, 11:23:19 am

And Hogville experts will once again proclaim the SEC to be a "crap conference".
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

East Clintwood

Quote from: widespreadsooie on March 20, 2017, 12:17:00 pm

I think that would require repealing the first amendment.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: East Clintwood on March 20, 2017, 09:30:46 pm

Trump is on it. just a matter of time.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Vcloudv

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on March 20, 2017, 11:54:50 pm
Trump is on it. just a matter of time.

People like you crack me up with your never ending pissing and moaning about our President.....  You probably think the Russians paid the refs off against us...... smdh

Youngsta71701

Quote from: bphi11ips on March 20, 2017, 09:05:26 pm
And Hogville experts will once again proclaim the SEC to be a "crap conference".
Yep, especially when it comes to downplaying every win the Hogs get and making every loss the Hogs suffer seem worse than it really is.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Vcloudv on March 21, 2017, 03:25:46 am
People like you crack me up with your never ending pissing and moaning about our President.....  You probably think the Russians paid the refs off against us...... smdh
It's possible ;).

widespreadsooie

Quote from: East Clintwood on March 20, 2017, 09:30:46 pm

Lol I hope you're serious

DeltaBoy

Quote from: razobak on March 20, 2017, 06:22:24 am
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/18957070/acc-teams-ncaa-tournament-struggles-prove-conference-was-overrated

Only one of their teams even made it to the Sweet 16 (UNC) and this article even calls out the questionable officiating that helped them get there. Without that, it would have been four SEC teams in the S16 to zero ACC teams.

LOL!!!!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

HF#1

It's not overrated. It's tough to play in that conference and not be completely beat up come tournament time. Much like the SEC in football.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: HF#1 on March 24, 2017, 08:19:22 am
It's not overrated. It's tough to play in that conference and not be completely beat up come tournament time. Much like the SEC in football.
just they play tonight conf all year and you get a week off and they all choke. Yeah it's fatigue LOLOL
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

HF#1

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on March 24, 2017, 08:55:12 am
just they play tonight conf all year and you get a week off and they all choke. Yeah it's fatigue LOLOL

Not just fatigue. Could be mental fatigue. Could be a number of things. But it doesn't mean the conference is overrated. It is a conference where Arkansas would struggle to get to .500.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

widespreadsooie

Quote from: HF#1 on March 24, 2017, 08:19:22 am

Except the SEC always wins a majority of their bowl games. The conference is overrated. They got 9 teams in and only 2 won their first round game. There's no other measuring stick.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: widespreadsooie on March 24, 2017, 12:12:25 pm
Except the SEC always wins a majority of their bowl games. The conference is overrated. They got 9 teams in and only 2 won their first round game. There's no other measuring stick.

Checkmate
Hogs up! Covid down!

HF#1

No other measuring stick than the post season? Gotcha.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: HF#1 on March 24, 2017, 12:58:26 pm
No other measuring stick than the post season? Gotcha.

Neutral floor games against opponents from a wide variety of conferences and a large sample size of the acc itself.

No to mention, some of their teams didn't just lose but were curb stomped. 6 losses of double digits, 3 of which were 20 points or more.

I would say the tournament has been a more accurate tool than their conference play was.

Atlhogfan1

The ACC won more than 2 first round games.  Wake lost in First 4 and then the ACC went 6-2 in the first R.  The 1-5 in the R32 is where they failed.  I don't believe the ACC's depth was overrated this season.  They had several good basketball teams.  The top appears to have been over-inflated though due to the depth.  Too much credit was given to teams at the top.  Although Duke played and beat good teams, they also lost several games.  Berry isn't 100% for UNC.

And the way the committee has had to measure teams has been OOC.  Of course teams change from Nov and Dec to the end of the season so there should be some consideration for it.  The ACC had good RPI wins in the OOC.  The NCAA has admitted the system is flawed and it is why they are trying to adjust what metrics they use.   
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 24, 2017, 01:23:11 pm
The ACC won more than 2 first round games.  Wake lost in First 4 and then the ACC went 6-2 in the first R.  The 1-5 in the R32 is where they failed.  I don't believe the ACC's depth was overrated this season.  They had several good basketball teams.  The top appears to have been over-inflated though due to the depth.  Too much credit was given to teams at the top.  Although Duke played and beat good teams, they also lost several games.  Berry isn't 100% for UNC.

And the way the committee has had to measure teams has been OOC.  Of course teams change from Nov and Dec to the end of the season so there should be some consideration for it.  The ACC had good RPI wins in the OOC.  The NCAA has admitted the system is flawed and it is why they are trying to adjust what metrics they use.   

When a conference suffers 6 DOUBLE DIGIT losses, 3 of 20 or more before the sweet 16, it's a reach to claim that conference was deep.

The accurate assessment would be that it was over represented.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: ShadowHawg on March 24, 2017, 01:30:16 pm
When a conference suffers 6 DOUBLE DIGIT losses, 3 of 20 or more before the sweet 16, it's a reach to claim that conference was deep.

The accurate assessment would be that it was over represented.

It wasn't over-represented.  FSU deserved to be in the NCAAT.  UVa deserved to be in the NCAAT.  So did ND.  And Miami and VT.  All of those teams were NCAAT level teams.  And because they had so many, it inflated the value of the teams.  To have been over-represented, which ACC teams do you remove and who gets in over them? 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 24, 2017, 01:39:40 pm
It wasn't over-represented.  FSU deserved to be in the NCAAT.  UVa deserved to be in the NCAAT.  So did ND.  And Miami and VT.  All of those teams were NCAAT level teams.  And because they had so many, it inflated the value of the teams.  To have been over-represented, which ACC teams do you remove and who gets in over them?

No they weren't ALL deserving. Fla St and ND were.

Miami, Virginia, Tech, and Wake were all questionable. No more than one of them make it from any conference not named the acc this season.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: ShadowHawg on March 24, 2017, 01:50:53 pm
No they weren't ALL deserving. Fla St and ND were.

Miami, Virginia, Tech, and Wake were all questionable. No more than one of them make it from any conference not named the acc this season.

No disagreement on Wake.  VT and Miami, I could see where you could maybe make an argument they should have been more on the bubble.  Lower seeds in hindsight.  UVa was grossly overseeded in hindsight.  But you have to find other teams from other conferences to replace them. 

I still think the "overrated" piece with the ACC wasn't so much depth as it was with the inflated reputations of the top teams.  The Pac 12 and SEC were both better at the top. 

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 24, 2017, 02:14:27 pm

No disagreement on Wake.  VT and Miami, I could see where you could maybe make an argument they should have been more on the bubble.  Lower seeds in hindsight.  UVa was grossly overseeded in hindsight.  But you have to find other teams from other conferences to replace them. 

I still think the "overrated" piece with the ACC wasn't so much depth as it was with the inflated reputations of the top teams.  The Pac 12 and SEC were both better at the top.

With the way the selection process works, there is always going to be a conference that is going to be perceived as "over rated".

The Acc is still a very good conference. For me, I don't like rewarding bubble teams based on conference affiliation. A bubble team is a bubble team regardless.

I am sure there were probably 3 other teams who could just as easily been chosen. I am just too lazy to take a look.

Biggus Piggus

Could be that others were underrated too?
[CENSORED]!

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on March 24, 2017, 05:27:51 pm
Could be that others were underrated too?

Yes. B1G seemed undervalued. No elite teams but obviously some good teams.