• 378,296 Topics
• 21,026 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ESPN - ACC Proves It Was Overrated  (Read 2263 times)

razobak

• All-American Hogvillian
  • UA College of Engineering - 2009
ESPN - ACC Proves It Was Overrated
« on: March 20, 2017, 06:22:24 am »

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/18957070/acc-teams-ncaa-tournament-struggles-prove-conference-was-overrated

Only one of their teams even made it to the Sweet 16 (UNC) and this article even calls out the questionable officiating that helped them get there. Without that, it would have been four SEC teams in the S16 to zero ACC teams.

But after a weekend that began on a high note with Notre Dame's nail-biter over Princeton and Virginia's victory against a UNC Wilmington team that was a trendy upset pick, now the entire ACC's hopes for tourney relevance rest on the team from Chapel Hill, the one that needed a couple of favorable whistles to get past Arkansas on Sunday night in Greenville.

PORKULATOR

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • knows how to 'dunk the crumpets'
Re: ESPN - ACC Proves It Was Overrated
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 06:50:40 am »

Just a few favorable calls.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...
Your browser is archaic. Your browser is antiquated. Your browser... it FILS! Update it, please.

Danny J

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 07:14:16 am »

Just a few favorable calls.
Yeah...I think it was 25 called on us and 8 on them? That's a huge difference. Outscored us by 15 on the line? That's crazy

Youngsta71701

• There's a God somewhere.
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 10:59:31 am »

Yeah...I think it was 25 called on us and 8 on them? That's a huge difference. Outscored us by 15 on the line? That's crazy
Come on man you know we're the only team that fouls. Those other teams don't even know what that is ;).

XavierZane

• Senior
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 11:23:19 am »

These sorts of recriminations are as useless as NCAA apologies about poor officiating.  It changes nothing.  The ridiculous bias for the ACC, fostered in large part by ESPN, already kept more deserving teams out of the tournament, just like the ineptitude of the officials already cost several teams their games.  And the media hype will start all over next season, with ESPN leading the charge again.

Chief_Osceola

• Senior
  • Embracing the Dark Side
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2017, 11:32:48 am »

The ACC was absolutely overrated all year.  There should be 4 SEC teams playing next weekend, and the ACC should all be at home.  There were 4 decent teams in the ACC.  Duke and Notre Dame lives and dies by the 3, and when they don't shoot well they lose.  FSU is freakish athletically, but has no idea how to run a half-court offense and attack a zone defense.  UNC got favorable officiating.  The no-charge no-travel play was just terrible.  The other teams from the ACC that made the tournament got in because of conference bias, similar to how the SEC is treated in football.

From here on out I'll be rooting for Butler, Xavier, and maybe Gonzaga.

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Mike Anderson!
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2017, 11:43:10 am »

So close.  Four SEC teams in the Sweet Sixteen?  That would have been sick!

FineAsSwine

• Hogville think tank
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2017, 12:09:56 pm »

These sorts of recriminations are as useless as NCAA apologies about poor officiating.  It changes nothing.  The ridiculous bias for the ACC, fostered in large part by ESPN, already kept more deserving teams out of the tournament, just like the ineptitude of the officials already cost several teams their games.  And the media hype will start all over next season, with ESPN leading the charge again.

widespreadsooie

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2017, 12:17:00 pm »

Preseason polls have to be abolished, this would do wonders for seeding teams properly and treating bubble teams fairly.

Chief_Osceola

• Senior
  • Embracing the Dark Side
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2017, 03:07:13 pm »

Preseason polls have to be abolished, this would do wonders for seeding teams properly and treating bubble teams fairly.

I agree.  They should be abolished across the board.  Football, basketball, baseball, etc.

bphi11ips

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • I need help with my footwork, too.
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2017, 09:05:26 pm »

And Hogville experts will once again proclaim the SEC to be a "crap conference".

East Clintwood

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2017, 09:30:46 pm »

I think that would require repealing the first amendment.

Pig in the Pokey

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Roastin da bomb in Fayettenam.
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2017, 11:54:50 pm »

Trump is on it. just a matter of time.

Vcloudv

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2017, 03:25:46 am »

Trump is on it. just a matter of time.

People like you crack me up with your never ending pissing and moaning about our President.....  You probably think the Russians paid the refs off against us...... smdh

Youngsta71701

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2017, 09:55:41 am »

And Hogville experts will once again proclaim the SEC to be a "crap conference".
Yep, especially when it comes to downplaying every win the Hogs get and making every loss the Hogs suffer seem worse than it really is.

Youngsta71701

« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2017, 09:56:56 am »

People like you crack me up with your never ending pissing and moaning about our President.....  You probably think the Russians paid the refs off against us...... smdh
It's possible ;).

widespreadsooie

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2017, 11:03:31 pm »

Lol I hope you're serious

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I'm Un-Reconstructed. Sic semper tyrannis
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2017, 08:17:47 am »

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/18957070/acc-teams-ncaa-tournament-struggles-prove-conference-was-overrated

Only one of their teams even made it to the Sweet 16 (UNC) and this article even calls out the questionable officiating that helped them get there. Without that, it would have been four SEC teams in the S16 to zero ACC teams.

LOL!!!!

HF#1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2017, 08:19:22 am »

It's not overrated. It's tough to play in that conference and not be completely beat up come tournament time. Much like the SEC in football.

BannerMountainMan

• Varsity
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2017, 08:55:12 am »

It's not overrated. It's tough to play in that conference and not be completely beat up come tournament time. Much like the SEC in football.
just they play tonight conf all year and you get a week off and they all choke. Yeah it's fatigue LOLOL

HF#1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2017, 09:37:27 am »

just they play tonight conf all year and you get a week off and they all choke. Yeah it's fatigue LOLOL

Not just fatigue. Could be mental fatigue. Could be a number of things. But it doesn't mean the conference is overrated. It is a conference where Arkansas would struggle to get to .500.

widespreadsooie

« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2017, 12:12:25 pm »

Except the SEC always wins a majority of their bowl games. The conference is overrated. They got 9 teams in and only 2 won their first round game. There's no other measuring stick.

FineAsSwine

• Hogville think tank
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2017, 12:44:11 pm »

Except the SEC always wins a majority of their bowl games. The conference is overrated. They got 9 teams in and only 2 won their first round game. There's no other measuring stick.

Checkmate

HF#1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2017, 12:58:26 pm »

No other measuring stick than the post season? Gotcha.

ShadowHawg

• Hogvillian
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2017, 01:14:16 pm »

No other measuring stick than the post season? Gotcha.

Neutral floor games against opponents from a wide variety of conferences and a large sample size of the acc itself.

No to mention, some of their teams didn't just lose but were curb stomped. 6 losses of double digits, 3 of which were 20 points or more.

I would say the tournament has been a more accurate tool than their conference play was.

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2017, 01:23:11 pm »

The ACC won more than 2 first round games.  Wake lost in First 4 and then the ACC went 6-2 in the first R.  The 1-5 in the R32 is where they failed.  I don't believe the ACC's depth was overrated this season.  They had several good basketball teams.  The top appears to have been over-inflated though due to the depth.  Too much credit was given to teams at the top.  Although Duke played and beat good teams, they also lost several games.  Berry isn't 100% for UNC.

And the way the committee has had to measure teams has been OOC.  Of course teams change from Nov and Dec to the end of the season so there should be some consideration for it.  The ACC had good RPI wins in the OOC.  The NCAA has admitted the system is flawed and it is why they are trying to adjust what metrics they use.   

ShadowHawg

• Hogvillian
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2017, 01:30:16 pm »

The ACC won more than 2 first round games.  Wake lost in First 4 and then the ACC went 6-2 in the first R.  The 1-5 in the R32 is where they failed.  I don't believe the ACC's depth was overrated this season.  They had several good basketball teams.  The top appears to have been over-inflated though due to the depth.  Too much credit was given to teams at the top.  Although Duke played and beat good teams, they also lost several games.  Berry isn't 100% for UNC.

And the way the committee has had to measure teams has been OOC.  Of course teams change from Nov and Dec to the end of the season so there should be some consideration for it.  The ACC had good RPI wins in the OOC.  The NCAA has admitted the system is flawed and it is why they are trying to adjust what metrics they use.   

When a conference suffers 6 DOUBLE DIGIT losses, 3 of 20 or more before the sweet 16, it's a reach to claim that conference was deep.

The accurate assessment would be that it was over represented.

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2017, 01:39:40 pm »

When a conference suffers 6 DOUBLE DIGIT losses, 3 of 20 or more before the sweet 16, it's a reach to claim that conference was deep.

The accurate assessment would be that it was over represented.

It wasn't over-represented.  FSU deserved to be in the NCAAT.  UVa deserved to be in the NCAAT.  So did ND.  And Miami and VT.  All of those teams were NCAAT level teams.  And because they had so many, it inflated the value of the teams.  To have been over-represented, which ACC teams do you remove and who gets in over them? 

ShadowHawg

• Hogvillian
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2017, 01:50:53 pm »

It wasn't over-represented.  FSU deserved to be in the NCAAT.  UVa deserved to be in the NCAAT.  So did ND.  And Miami and VT.  All of those teams were NCAAT level teams.  And because they had so many, it inflated the value of the teams.  To have been over-represented, which ACC teams do you remove and who gets in over them?

No they weren't ALL deserving. Fla St and ND were.

Miami, Virginia, Tech, and Wake were all questionable. No more than one of them make it from any conference not named the acc this season.

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2017, 02:14:27 pm »

No they weren't ALL deserving. Fla St and ND were.

Miami, Virginia, Tech, and Wake were all questionable. No more than one of them make it from any conference not named the acc this season.

No disagreement on Wake.  VT and Miami, I could see where you could maybe make an argument they should have been more on the bubble.  Lower seeds in hindsight.  UVa was grossly overseeded in hindsight.  But you have to find other teams from other conferences to replace them. 

I still think the "overrated" piece with the ACC wasn't so much depth as it was with the inflated reputations of the top teams.  The Pac 12 and SEC were both better at the top. 

ShadowHawg

• Hogvillian
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2017, 02:36:42 pm »

No disagreement on Wake.  VT and Miami, I could see where you could maybe make an argument they should have been more on the bubble.  Lower seeds in hindsight.  UVa was grossly overseeded in hindsight.  But you have to find other teams from other conferences to replace them. 

I still think the "overrated" piece with the ACC wasn't so much depth as it was with the inflated reputations of the top teams.  The Pac 12 and SEC were both better at the top.

With the way the selection process works, there is always going to be a conference that is going to be perceived as "over rated".

The Acc is still a very good conference. For me, I don't like rewarding bubble teams based on conference affiliation. A bubble team is a bubble team regardless.

I am sure there were probably 3 other teams who could just as easily been chosen. I am just too lazy to take a look.

Biggus Piggus

• Escaped Journalist
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville: The mosh pit of Razorbackland
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2017, 05:27:51 pm »

Could be that others were underrated too?

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2017, 05:32:59 pm »

Could be that others were underrated too?

Yes. B1G seemed undervalued. No elite teams but obviously some good teams.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Your browser is archaic. Your browser is antiquated. Your browser... it FILS! Update it, please.
Your browser is archaic. Your browser is antiquated. Your browser... it FILS! Update it, please. KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas