Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Reggie Perry ...

Started by Kevin McPherson, February 04, 2017, 10:52:42 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin McPherson

I got a phone call from Reggie Perry and his AAU coach, Kevin Howard of the Hawks, about 20 minutes ago. Howard is down in Thomasville, GA, this weekend to see RP play.

Lots of great quotes that I'll tweet out this weekend, and then I'll have a story next week with more online at SportingLifeArkansas.com

https://twitter.com/ARHoopScoop/status/827918554251067392

https://twitter.com/ARHoopScoop/status/827919396651806722

NWAHog479

Too bad he can't lace em up for us this year. Looking forward to getting him on the hill and seeing if he really is "best recruit since Joe Johnson"

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: NWAHog479 on February 06, 2017, 09:06:35 am
Too bad he can't lace em up for us this year. Looking forward to getting him on the hill and seeing if he really is "best recruit since Joe Johnson"

Who said he is the "best recruit since Joe Johnson"? I've said he is the most "talented" recruit since Joe Johnson. Those are 2 different things. Bobby Portis was a Top 15 / 5-star who also had a 5-star work ethic to make himself better every day. It's why he started from day one and was All-SEC 2nd-team as a freshman, and why he was SEC POY and 2nd-team AA as a sophomore. I can't put Perry or any other recruit in that category yet because it takes more than just talent to achieve like BP did.

Yet, from a pure basketball and physical "talent" standpoint, I'd rate Perry ahead of guys like Portis, BJ Young, Sonny Weems, and Ronnie Brewer, Jr. ... IMO, you have to go back to Joe Johnson to see comparable talent at the same stage of development.

I think Gafford will be the most athletically gifted big man that Arkansas has ever signed. The two -- Gafford and Perry -- would make an awesome frontcourt duo.

Razorhogger

Thanks for the updates.  Keep them coming.

hawgcraZ

Would he stay if Mike was let go?

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: hawgcraZ on February 07, 2017, 08:49:46 pm

His family loves CMA, but I also think he was a Hog fan growing up in AR ... I think a lot would depend on who Long hired and if the other Hawks stuck to their commits or splintered off ... who knows?

ShadowHawg

Quote from: hawgcraZ on February 07, 2017, 08:49:46 pm

Probably not. Think Connelly/Oden.

NWAHog479

Adam Stokes

Quote from: ShadowHawg on February 09, 2017, 03:48:59 am

Also, neither were ever committed.

Amityvillehogger

Quote from: ShadowHawg on February 09, 2017, 03:48:59 am

Neither was coming here regardless.
Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Amityvillehogger on February 10, 2017, 10:50:19 am
Neither was coming here regardless.

Mike SR did say in the Shawn and Wally show that if MA was the HC Jr and Oden would have been Razorbacks.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on February 10, 2017, 10:58:02 am
Mike SR did say in the Shawn and Wally show that if MA was the HC Jr and Oden would have been Razorbacks.

Yeah, but that's just his dad talking.. he doesn't know as much as the poster you quoted..

Hawg Red

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on February 10, 2017, 10:58:02 am

I remember him saying that. Also said that we would have gotten Jared Sullinger (or someone did). But it's really impossible for even Mike Conley Sr to make that claim considering his son and Oden were 14 at the time Nolan was fired. It's not like they were 16 or 17 and ready to commit to a school.

Atlhogfan1

Let's look at the timeline of the ridiculous dreaming of what might have been:

2001-2:  Nolan fired
2002-3:  Igoudala Freshman
2003-4:  Igoudala So and done
2004-5:
2005-6:
2006-7: Conley and Oden one and done
2007-8:
2008-9:
2009-10:
2010-11: Jared Sullinger Fr
2011-12: Jared Sullinger So and done

This is how far apart these players were.  They were never ending up on same Hog team.  Were we supposed to wait?  Every 5 seasons for the next supposed "savior" to arrive to carry "Modica, Gomez, Satchell, Lane, Eddins, etc" to some achievement?  Demarre Carroll wouldn't have even played with any of them.  That is how spreadout they were.  It appears it is what some want now too.  Just wait.  However long it takes. 

Hopefully Perry is a Hog no matter the circumstances. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Hawg Red

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 10, 2017, 12:11:27 pm
Hopefully Perry is Hog no matter the circumstances.

I hope so, too, because he seems like a really good kid as well as player. But if he won't play for us because we fired Mike, so be it. Hope it doesn't come to that, though.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Hawg Red on February 10, 2017, 12:14:29 pm
I hope so, too, because he seems like a really good kid as well as player. But if he won't play for us because we fired Mike, so be it. Hope it doesn't come to that, though.

We will hire a better coach than Mike. If he doesn't want to win more and be better developed for the NBA, then you can't do anything about that.

rhog1

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 10, 2017, 03:31:17 pm
We will hire a better coach than Mike. If he doesn't want to win more and be better developed for the NBA, then you can't do anything about that.
No player is above the program, even one as good as Perry. If the Program is better off without Mike as coach as it looks like now, then Mike has got to go. Hopefully Perry will still come play for the new coach, but if not you cant keep a failing coach because of recruits.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: NWAHog479 on February 09, 2017, 10:21:54 am
Conley...

They were a package deal and Conley Sr. was quoted as saying that if Nolan or MA had been coaching here that they would have come to Arkansas instead.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: rhog1 on February 10, 2017, 04:10:53 pm
No player is above the program, even one as good as Perry. If the Program is better off without Mike as coach as it looks like now, then Mike has got to go. Hopefully Perry will still come play for the new coach, but if not you cant keep a failing coach because of recruits.

Recruiting is part of the coaching equation. If anything, Hog nation should have learned by now that a coaching change hurts recruiting for at least 2 seasons.

I watched Pel's "top 5" class in AAU ball and in an all star game in Florida. Those guys got pounded by some AAU opponents and looked very weak in the all star appearances, except for Young.

That Hawks team we have committed actually POUNDS some of the top summer ball teams out there. It would be stupid to lose them if it is a 50/50 call on MA because it is a guarantee that if we lose some of them they will NOT be replaced by like talents. See Iguadola and Ferguson.

rhog1

Quote from: ShadowHawg on February 12, 2017, 04:07:07 pm
Recruiting is part of the coaching equation. If anything, Hog nation should have learned by now that a coaching change hurts recruiting for at least 2 seasons.

I watched Pel's "top 5" class in AAU ball and in an all star game in Florida. Those guys got pounded by some AAU opponents and looked very weak in the all star appearances, except for Young.

That Hawks team we have committed actually POUNDS some of the top summer ball teams out there. It would be stupid to lose them if it is a 50/50 call on MA because it is a guarantee that if we lose some of them they will NOT be replaced by like talents. See Iguadola and Ferguson.
That's where I disagree. You cant keep a mediocre coach just because of recruits. It may be a down couple of years after a coaching change but if you hire the right coach the program is better off in the long run. Recruits if they are good are only around for a year or two. Plus there is the unknown of who the next coach is and how he recruits. 

raz1965

We have a fine coach if he is allowed to bring in these players for the next two yrs. Players win games not coaches, all the top coaches have players, players make coaches,  coaches do not make players. Folks getting players is where winning starts and if Mike has players he will win. For the sake of the program I hope Mike makes a run in the tourney and then what I say will be proven.

hview

It has taken Mike several years to build a relationship with these young men. He is just now beginning to reap the rewards, as noted by some outstanding recruiting classes. I too hope we keep Mike. I would like to see what this team looks like over the next two years. 

JayHog

As a lifelong Razorback fan, I agree that players are what make coaches look good.  Winning games comes down to who has the best players 9 times out of 10.  Look at Kentucky for a perfect example of this... they just get the best players.  As a result, they are going to win. It's not Coach Cal.
We have a group next year that's been playing together and competing for AAU National Titles. They (the players) are what's going to put us back on the map in the upcoming years.
We need to stay the course and hold steady. Help is on the way (and that's 95% of winning is having the studs).
Like grandpa always said, you can't win the Kentucky Derby with a mule.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 10, 2017, 03:31:17 pm
Better coaches name please?
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

FineAsSwine

Reggie Perry and his family know what is best for them. Reggie listened to numerous pitches from high major college coaches about what they could do for him and his NBA possibilities. Having heard all of the angles, he chose to be a Razorback and to play for CMA.

Reggie's opinion is the only one that matters when it comes to CMA's coaching abilities. I think Reggie is more qualified than anyone on here in regards to that.
Hogs up! Covid down!

RaisinHog

Quote from: JayHog on February 13, 2017, 01:06:39 am
As a lifelong Razorback fan, I agree that players are what make coaches look good.  Winning games comes down to who has the best players 9 times out of 10.  Look at Kentucky for a perfect example of this... they just get the best players.  As a result, they are going to win. It's not Coach Cal.
We have a group next year that's been playing together and competing for AAU National Titles. They (the players) are what's going to put us back on the map in the upcoming years.
We need to stay the course and hold steady. Help is on the way (and that's 95% of winning is having the studs).
Like grandpa always said, you can't win the Kentucky Derby with amulejack ass

FIFY

MountieDawg

Quote from: FineAsSwine on February 13, 2017, 04:28:54 pm
Reggie Perry and his family know what is best for them. Reggie listened to numerous pitches from high major college coaches about what they could do for him and his NBA possibilities. Having heard all of the angles, he chose to be a Razorback and to play for CMA.

Reggie's opinion is the only one that matters when it comes to CMA's coaching abilities. I think Reggie is more qualified than anyone on here in regards to that.

If you believe the players are the best people to decide who is the coach, what did it say when other top players chose not to play for CMA?
SEC!

FineAsSwine

Quote from: MountieDawg on February 15, 2017, 05:43:10 am
If you believe the players are the best people to decide who is the coach, what did it say when other top players chose not to play for CMA?

Did you intentionally misrepresent what I said or was that a mistake? I never said that "players are the best people to decide who is the coach.

What I said is that Reggie (and any other player) is best qualified to determine who they play for (and where) because it is his future and therefore his opinion about these things is what is the most important factor for him as a player. Doesn't matter about what someone else thinks about CMA's coaching or his ability to get players to the NBA.
Hogs up! Covid down!

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

Razorod

Liking this guy already!
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

RealHog

Quote from: Razorod on March 12, 2017, 07:22:09 pm
Liking this guy already!

Amen! 2018 is gona continue building the brand.

hogwood

We'll be the SEC bad boys! Buck the blue bloods out of their SEC title hold!!!

Hogberry Snortcake

Danny J

Quote from: jbcarol on March 12, 2017, 07:19:05 pm
https://twitter.com/_R1bang_/status/840978298599538688
Love the passion the incoming guys have for the program. It's one thing to sign good talent but the added bonus of guys wanting to be here with that kind of passion is hard to find.

FineAsSwine

Sticking up for his team!
Hogs up! Covid down!

outlawhogeywells

Quote from: FineAsSwine on February 15, 2017, 09:17:05 am
Did you intentionally misrepresent what I said or was that a mistake? I never said that "players are the best people to decide who is the coach.

What I said is that Reggie (and any other player) is best qualified to determine who they play for (and where) because it is his future and therefore his opinion about these things is what is the most important factor for him as a player. Doesn't matter about what someone else thinks about CMA's coaching or his ability to get players to the NBA.
Players get themselves to the NBA.  Coaches don't have as much to do in this process as some of these elite recruits think.  You really think Cal is getting those players ready for the NBA.  They were lottery picks before they stepped foot on the KY campus.  They could all decide to go play for UCA and they would all still be lottery picks.  In fact it would be funny if all the kids that are committed to KY all got together and said hay, lets shock the world.  Let's all go to small town tech and win a NC there.  The press would eat it up. Small town tech would be the ESPN darling for a year.  They would beat up on the powers to be.  It would be hilarious

FineAsSwine

Quote from: outlawhogeywells on March 13, 2017, 01:20:04 pm
In fact it would be funny if all the kids that are committed to KY all got together and said hay, lets shock the world.  Let's all go to small town tech and win a NC there.  The press would eat it up. Small town tech would be the ESPN darling for a year.  They would beat up on the powers to be.  It would be hilarious

Start writing the script, after you've got 10 - 12 pages finished, I'll take those so I can start shopping the idea around and see what we can get for the movie rights.

Hogs up! Covid down!

1highhog

Quote from: raz1965 on February 12, 2017, 05:16:15 pm
We have a fine coach if he is allowed to bring in these players for the next two yrs. Players win games not coaches, all the top coaches have players, players make coaches,  coaches do not make players. Folks getting players is where winning starts and if Mike has players he will win. For the sake of the program I hope Mike makes a run in the tourney and then what I say will be proven.

One of the most asinine posts I've ever read on Hogville, and that's saying a mouth full.  You can have the best players in the world, but if you have a crap coach, then you are not going to win many games.  You can have a decent coach, and some great talented players and go on to do some great things, (look at Calipari), not a great Coach but slimy enough to work the "system" everywhere he's been and get great talent and a decent enough coach to win some games.  But with every year with the talent Kentucky has, how many national titles have they won with the best players and Calipari?  You have to have a good coach, and good players, and with "this" type of group, you will win more titles than with the teams like Kentucky.  You've got to have both.  You can't just have one or the other. 

HossHog

Quote from: raz1965 on February 12, 2017, 05:16:15 pm
Yep, Duke did great with out K

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Danny J on March 13, 2017, 10:25:31 am
Love the passion the incoming guys have for the program. It's one thing to sign good talent but the added bonus of guys wanting to be here with that kind of passion is hard to find.

Exactly.

Anyone who has ever coached competitively at the hs level and above gets excited when you see a player saying these kinds of things.

This kid will come in ready to go with one of the most difficult things to instill in a player all the way to professional level.......OWNERSHIP OF HIS TEAM!

When your players take ownership of their team is when the value of the whole team exceeds the sum of its parts.

niels_boar

March 14, 2017, 05:53:30 pm #41 Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 06:07:20 pm by niels_boar
I don't know why some of you are so convinced that we could necessarily hire a better coach than Mike that would necessarily turn the program around quickly.  First, we had two shots before Mike when we were less separated from glory in time.  Both coaches are now assistants.  Secondly, a string of semi-flashy hires in the SEC have recently caused coach-envy among some segments of Hog fans.  They include

Bruce Pearl - still searching for his first postseason of any kind at Auburn after three years

Rick Barnes - still searching for a winning season at UT after two years

Ben Howland - ditto at MSU

Billy Kennedy - remember last year.  Good team.  Good class. We're falling behind the Aggies!
He'll be looking for his second NCAAT in seven years at A&M next season.

Avery Johnson - will be looking for his first NCAAT in three years at Bama next season.  He may have the Tide heading in the right direction if he can find some offense.

Those are all guys with good resumes who know what they are doing that have not been instant successes.  Missouri and LSU, two programs with some basketball history, are looking for coaches after complete flameouts.  Heck, Indiana is having a difficult time finding a coach to meet their lofty standards.  UK turned to Calipari's circus out of desperation despite his baggage.    The only coaches in the SEC that have had instant success, White and Drew, inherited talented rosters.  So, if just getting to the NCAAT isn't good enough for you, you're more likely than not blowing things up for at least another three-year wait.  A 25-win season with two quality classes in the pipeline looks preferable to me.

Mike Brey is an example where patience and stability has paid off.  He inherited a pretty good roster at Notre Dame from Matt Doherty, who disastrously headed to UNC.  Brey got off to a fast start with three straight NCAAT appearances.  He then slumped to two bids in six years with rumblings about his security.  He rebounded for four straight NCAAT appearance but only a single win among the bunch.  Then he had a losing season.  More rumblings. In an eleven-year span he had managed six NCAAT appearances and two total NCAAT wins.  He's working on his third-straight EE appearance since.
The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time.

Razorod

My guess, and that is all that it is, is that Anderson is very safe right now and will likely be the coach at Arkansas for the next several years.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

ShadowHawg

Thought I read a story that said Long was literally giddy heading to the locker room to congratulate the guys on winning big on Senior day.

I can't imagine us making the SEC championship game put a damper on his mood toward the team/program.

This was supposed to be MA's make or break year coming in. I would say 25 wins, top recruits stacked 3 years deep, and a trip to tournament probably buys him a solid couple of seasons. If those are successful, he will be coach for a long time.

PorkRinds

Quote from: ShadowHawg on March 14, 2017, 11:18:57 pm
Thought I read a story that said Long was literally giddy heading to the locker room to congratulate the guys on winning big on Senior day.

I can't imagine us making the SEC championship game put a damper on his mood toward the team/program.

This was supposed to be MA's make or break year coming in. I would say 25 wins, top recruits stacked 3 years deep, and a trip to tournament probably buys him a solid couple of seasons. If those are successful, he will be coach for a long time.

Good summation.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: ShadowHawg on March 14, 2017, 11:18:57 pm

Will be great to have some stability going forward. Time to build on the foundation.
Hogs up! Covid down!

Hawg Red

Quote from: tncbg on March 19, 2017, 11:21:10 pm
Hope Perry doesn't get Cal's attention and make a "business decision" following a visit from World Wide Wes with bag in hand.

"Arkansas is my Kentucky." - Reggie Perry

Nipsey Mussle

He's all Hog. I love it. Am I the only one who expected "be a lottery pick" to be his response to the question of his future goals? I loved that he answered "national championship" as it displays his team mentality more so than individualistic thinking. That is rare these days, dare I say, he is uncommon?