Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

CJ Jones will have plenty of opportunity with only 1 guard coming in

Started by The_Bionic_Pig, March 19, 2017, 08:26:35 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Bionic_Pig

Watkins & Hannah's minutes cannot be filled by Garland alone.

Garland is a 1& 2
Hall is a 3
Smith is a 3

We desperately need Cook, Thomas or Bailey to make a offseason leap in their scoring skills but I can easily see MA tinkering with 6'7 Hall & 6'5 Smith at the 4 to give the interior some more offensive punch.

Barford & Macon are going to get theirs with a occasional outburst from Beard, Hall & Garland. 

That puts the weight of 99% of the interior scoring on the freshman Gafford who is prone to getting into foul trouble while swatting away a ungodly amout of shots and getting double digit rebounds.

█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

ballinhog

I'm not saying CJ will be better next year than Dusty was the past 2 years but he will have a better chance of success against these elite teams and their length because he's not only taller than Dusty but much more athletic. He will be a much better match up for us just athletically

ADavisTheGOAT

If he can work on his defense and dribbling he will be a beast
Razorbacks | Redskins | Pelicans | LA Tech

hogwood

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on March 19, 2017, 08:26:35 pm

Garland is a 1& 2
Hall is a 3
Smith is a 3

We desperately need Cook, Thomas or Bailey to make a offseason leap in their scoring skills but I can easily see MA tinkering with 6'7 Hall & 6'5 Smith at the 4 to give the interior some more offensive punch.

Barford & Macon are going to get theirs with a occasional outburst from Beard, Hall & Garland. 

That puts the weight of 99% of the interior scoring on the freshman Gafford who is prone to getting into foul trouble while swatting away a ungodly amout of shots and getting double digit rebounds.

Since when did Smith commit?

wavybone

I have a feeling that Bailey is going to make a leap next year. He showed his potential this game.

rude1

IMO Bailey is a reliable jumper away from passing both Thomas and Cook. Kid needs to work his tail off all spring and summer on honing his midrange jump shot. Doesn't have develop much off the bounce right now, just catch and shoot would suffice for now.

HossHog

Quote from: ballinhog on March 19, 2017, 10:28:51 pm
I'm not saying CJ will be better next year than Dusty was the past 2 years but he will have a better chance of success against these elite teams and their length because he's not only taller than Dusty but much more athletic. He will be a much better match up for us just athletically
I will help you out a little bit, CJ will not be as good of a shooter but he might be able to get better shots because of his length and athleticism.

HogCzar1

OnTheHillHogFan

Quote from: rude1 on March 19, 2017, 11:52:10 pm
IMO Bailey is a reliable jumper away from passing both Thomas and Cook. Kid needs to work his tail off all spring and summer on honing his midrange jump shot. Doesn't have develop much off the bounce right now, just catch and shoot would suffice for now.
Bailey is already better than DT or Cook.
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: hogwood on March 19, 2017, 10:41:54 pm
Since when did Smith commit?

This is a assumption.... (Especially since his official visit to Texas did not result in a commit)

Texas Tech then Arkansas with the final visit.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: tncbg on March 20, 2017, 07:03:58 am
Gafford is a long way from ready. He has dominated in high school by rebounding and dunking. He has no real low post game and I've yet to see him spot up and shoot. Thompson will have to become a scoring threat or we will get very little from the five spot.

Not saying he will average 12+ a game, but Trey's passing and IQ will help us offensively. We were much better most of the time with Trey on the floor. Offensive movement was much better with him compared to Moses.

cableguy

Quote from: OnTheHillHogFan on March 20, 2017, 02:06:57 am
I agree with this. If Bailey starts the game, we are in the Sweet 16.

kaki

Quote from: cableguy on March 20, 2017, 07:22:34 am
I agree with this. If Bailey starts the game, we are in the Sweet 16.
Bailey has great potential, but as often happens, someone shows a little something and the board gets carried away.  I hope you are right, but don't forget that Dustin was a real important piece of the Seton Hall win.  Hopefully we see a big step forward by a bunch of these Hogs.

mbgrulz

Gafford is a long way from ready. He has dominated in high school by rebounding and dunking. He has no real low post game and I've yet to see him spot up and shoot. Thompson will have to become a scoring threat or we will get very little from the five spot.
If anyone is expecting Olajuwon-Esque polish in the post from Gagfford, you haven't done your homework. What he will provide us with however is elite size and athleticism (he's bigger/more athletic than MK) inside. He will alter/block a lot of shots inside. I can see him getting a lot of putback dunks. Hell be the type of guy who you can lob it to anywhere around the rim and he'll flush it. We haven't had that in awhile. Where he'll struggle early in his career is foul trouble...getting pushed around on the block...lack of 1 on 1 game with his back to the basket. We'll miss MK for sure, but Gafford gives you some things MK couldn't. Actually, Gafford has NBA athleticism whereas MK doesn't.

incHOGnito

Garland is a 1& 2
Hall is a 3
Smith is a 3

I believe Thomas will make a big leap next year. He won't lead us in scoring, but will be a key contributor. I expect 8 pts and 8 rebs a game from
him, a poor-man's Cory Clarke.  His main issue is that he is not explosive off the ground, but I think he will settle in with a nice mid-range game on offense and attaxk the boards on defense. Otherwise, I could see him riding the line a lot.

East TN HAWG

Quote from: ballinhog on March 19, 2017, 10:28:51 pm
The one thing that Dusty likely has on CJ is work ethic.  If CJ works like Dusty, the Hogs are in a good place. 

The_Iceman

Quote from: rude1 on March 19, 2017, 11:52:10 pm

He has already passed them. He is better defensively, moves better laterally, is a superior athlete to the two, and finishes stronger inside.

Bailey showed yesterday that he will split the PF minutes with Thomas next year. Cook is just way behind those two in every area of the game.

The_Iceman

Quote from: East TN HAWG on March 20, 2017, 08:09:04 am
The one thing that Dusty likely has on CJ is work ethic.  If CJ works like Dusty, the Hogs are in a good place.

CJ may can jump higher and run faster than Dusty, but he cannot handle the ball or drive to the basket anywhere near as good as Dusty.

CJ next year will make his money hitting spot up threes and finishing on the break. Ball handling is his weakness.

I think CJ will either back up Macon at the 2, or start along side Barford and Macon at the off wing. He is 6'5" with a pure shooting stroke and great athleticism. He will get big minutes.

I honestly wouldn't mind him in the Macon role next year as the scorer in the 2nd unit, but minutes wise is in the top 5-6 on the team.

The_Bionic_Pig

6'11 Gafford is closer to Willie Cauley-Stein than Bobby Portis and a little more athletic than both. He will most definitely effect the game on the boards and Defensively. 

Unless he is polished by 2018 6'10 Perry is the highly coveted offensive interior scorer. 

Some may not have noticed but the 6'5 recruited Hazen that arrived on campus at 6'7 is now standing nearly eye to eye with Kingsley. (Almost 6'9)

If not for being a bubble team I wish he was thrown in the fire to accelerate his progress because the timid  man can shoot from beyond the arc + very athletic (head above the rim)

Cook & Thomas talent & athleticism are not what's keeping Hazen & Bailey off the floor (based on that it's not even close)

Bailey (Offensively) Hazen (Decisions) need to ascend past their competition over the summer & pre-SEC play as I believe the Cooks & Thomas are already playing at their current ceiling.

I believe 6'7 Hall (SF) may take may sparingly steal some PT at 4 for offensive punch. (MA tinkering)
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

The_Iceman

Quote from: tncbg on March 20, 2017, 08:39:09 am
Hall is a grinder and has crazy length. He was 3 for 3 from deep in the state championship game, so his shot is coming along. He will be a good one in time.

I'm not sure we have had a player like Hall on campus. Not even sure who he compares to. But a lot of talk is on Gafford and Garland, but Hall is the real sleeper.

PonderinHog

I just feel like CJ will be able to get his shot off against anybody.  How often it goes in is yet to be determined.  If he turns into a 40%+- shooter from three and improves in other facets of his game, watch out!

rljjr

Bailey has a knack for getting open down low. He seems to have a high BB IQ. I enjoyed watching him yesterday. If he can develop his mid-range jumper he'll be a more than solid addition to the lineup.

sadhogfan

Regarding the possible addition of Zhaire Smith to our recruiting class: how does one pronounce his first name? Is it like the former country, "Zaire"?

RaisinHog

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on March 20, 2017, 08:35:10 am
6'11 Gafford is closer to Willie Cauley-Stein than Bobby Portis and a little more athletic than both. He will most definitely effect the game on the boards and Defensively. 

Unless he is polished by 2018 6'10 Perry is the highly coveted offensive interior scorer. 

Some may not have noticed but the 6'5 recruited Hazen that arrived on campus at 6'7 is now standing nearly eye to eye with Kingsley. (Almost 6'9)

If not for being a bubble team I wish he was thrown in the fire to accelerate his progress because the timid  man can shoot from beyond the arc + very athletic (head above the rim)

Cook & Thomas talent & athleticism are not what's keeping Hazen & Bailey off the floor (based on that it's not even close)

Bailey (Offensively) Hazen (Decisions) need to ascend past their competition over the summer & pre-SEC play as I believe the Cooks & Thomas are already playing at their current ceiling.

I believe 6'7 Hall (SF) may take may sparingly steal some PT at 4 for offensive punch. (MA tinkering)

I mentioned in another thread that I think Gafford and cauley - Stein are very similar both high energy players who get most of there points from running the floor and put backs .. and play defense .. the key to our success will be how quickly Gafford learns to defend with out fouling ... We don't have to have alot of scoring production from that spot to win alot of games . As was proved this year Kingsley didn't score a ton and we still won many games..

PonderinHog

If Gafford has a better touch around the basket (and off the backboard) we'll be fine.

I love Moses' game, but if there was such a thing as a flagrant foul for using excessive force on the backboard, he would have had a few this year.   ;D

mbgrulz

I agree that Hall is the sleeper. He may have the biggest impact of all 3 in their first year. Gafford's athleticism and length will be a big deal tho.

The_Iceman

Quote from: mbgrulz on March 20, 2017, 10:47:50 am
I agree that Hall is the sleeper. He may have the biggest impact of all 3 in their first year. Gafford's athleticism and length will be a big deal tho.

I agree with this because Gafford's impact won't be as high because he is simply replacing Kingsley.

Hall is going to provide for this team something they did not have this year...a 6'6" small forward with guard skills. Garland will be like having a second Barford.

RaisinHog

Quote from: PonderinHog on March 20, 2017, 10:43:32 am
If Gafford has a better touch around the basket (and off the backboard) we'll be fine.

I love Moses' game, but if there was such a thing as a flagrant foul for using excessive force on the backboard, he would have had a few this year.   ;D

I think.... And I could be wrong .. but I think you will see Gafford just dunk the hell out of a bunch of the balls Kingsley lays in or trys to lay in .. I know high school ball is a long way from the SEC but he appears to be a lil more assertive around the rim then Moses .. I got pumped last night cause like 3 possessions In a row Kingsley actually dunked !! Like he was mad ass hell..

scorekeeper

If Hazen is now 6'9" he has to find some type of role. We need that length.
If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 20, 2017, 09:50:11 am
I'm not sure we have had a player like Hall on campus. Not even sure who he compares to. But a lot of talk is on Gafford and Garland, but Hall is the real sleeper.

I saw all 3 play more than 10 times each this HS season, plenty more before that, so I think I have a pretty good feel on what Hogs are getting ...

* Darious Hall is no sleeper to me. Been saying for a year now that he should be Top 100 nationally, and I think it's probably closer to Top 50. He's more like Qualls than any SF/wing we've had. Qualls was 6-5 w/7-0 wingspan, and Hall is 6-6 w/7-0 wingspan. Qualls a 39-inch vertical, Hall's is 37 inch vert. Hall bigger/stronger at same stage, and a better handler. Qualls developed mid-range and respectable 3-point shot, and Hall is doing the same. What makes them similar is the size/wingspan, the athleticism, good enough skill to play on the wing and a slash-and-crash mentality in how they attack the glass and rim. I think Hall is more mature, more leadership qualities, then Qualls at same stage. Hall is a very smart player who puts team first.

* Khalil Garland got hurt late in the season and never was the same. He's going to be fine, though. Also thought Parkview's offense should have run through Garland all season, but that didn't happen. Can help at all 3 backcourt positions. Didn't take a lot of 3s (less than 1 per game), but shot around 48% from distance. Shot 60% from field (mostly at the basket) and 70% from FT line. Very active defensively, and what makes him so good, IMO, is that he is old-school money finishing in transition. So many athletic players struggle finishing on the break if the D gets back to prevent a dunk, but Garland can beat 2 or 3 guys while keeping his stride, then can use either hand to finish at full speed. One of the best open-court players in the country.

* Gafford is a 6-10 freak because of his combo of a) 7-2 'span, b) quick-reflex bounce, c) soft but strong hands, d) instinctive tracking of the ball, and e) long, easy strides that help him cover a lot of ground quickly. Frame is perfect for adding weight/muscle without compromising agility and flexibility. He's improved his low-post, back-to-the-basket game, especially his baseline drop-step. He's finishing more consistently around the basket on non-dunk plays where you have to go up strong while maintaining touch on the close-range shots (something MK still struggles with). Still needs work on low-post game, and certainly his face-up, mid-range game game needs improving, too. Having said that, his shot (form and balance) are not at all awkward and should be something he can add to his arsenal with next-level development. He's a volume rebounder, shot-blocker, and dunker. Even without a ton of improvement, I could still see him as a double-double machine by his sophomore season.

Little Lady Back

Quote from: HOGdayafternoon on March 20, 2017, 11:07:04 am
I saw all 3 play more than 10 times each this HS season, plenty more before that, so I think I have a pretty good feel on what Hogs are getting ...

* Darious Hall is no sleeper to me. Been saying for a year now that he should be Top 100 nationally, and I think it's probably closer to Top 50. He's more like Qualls than any SF/wing we've had. Qualls was 6-5 w/7-0 wingspan, and Hall is 6-6 w/7-0 wingspan. Qualls a 39-inch vertical, Hall's is 37 inch vert. Hall bigger/stronger at same stage, and a better handler. Qualls developed mid-range and respectable 3-point shot, and Hall is doing the same. What makes them similar is the size/wingspan, the athleticism, good enough skill to play on the wing and a slash-and-crash mentality in how they attack the glass and rim. I think Hall is more mature, more leadership qualities, then Qualls at same stage. Hall is a very smart player who puts team first.

* Khalil Garland got hurt late in the season and never was the same. He's going to be fine, though. Also thought Parkview's offense should have run through Garland all season, but that didn't happen. Can help at all 3 backcourt positions. Didn't take a lot of 3s (less than 1 per game), but shot around 48% from distance. Shot 60% from field (mostly at the basket) and 70% from FT line. Very active defensively, and what makes him so good, IMO, is that he is old-school money finishing in transition. So many athletic players struggle finishing on the break if the D gets back to prevent a dunk, but Garland can beat 2 or 3 guys while keeping his stride, then can use either hand to finish at full speed. One of the best open-court players in the country.

* Gafford is a 6-10 freak because of his combo of a) 7-2 'span, b) quick-reflex bounce, c) soft but strong hands, d) instinctive tracking of the ball, and e) long, easy strides that help him cover a lot of ground quickly. Frame is perfect for adding weight/muscle without compromising agility and flexibility. He's improved his low-post, back-to-the-basket game, especially his baseline drop-step. He's finishing more consistently around the basket on non-dunk plays where you have to go up strong while maintaining touch on the close-range shots (something MK still struggles with). Still needs work on low-post game, and certainly his face-up, mid-range game game needs improving, too. Having said that, his shot (form and balance) are not at all awkward and should be something he can add to his arsenal with next-level development. He's a volume rebounder, shot-blocker, and dunker. Even without a ton of improvement, I could still see him as a double-double machine by his sophomore season.

Thanks for the info, HOGday! I am really excited now.
#NolanRichardsonCourt

East TN HAWG

If Garland shoots 48% from 3 point land, he better learn to shoot more next year. 

OnTheHillHogFan

Quote from: scorekeeper on March 20, 2017, 10:55:28 am
If Hazen is now 6'9" he has to find some type of role. We need that length.
He's a legit 6'8. Just a bit shorter than DT, Moses and Trey
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

PonderinHog

Quote from: Little Lady Back on March 20, 2017, 11:16:36 am
Thanks for the info, HOGday! I am really excited now.
What time is the game on ???

This is gonna be a long off season...

Little Lady Back

#NolanRichardsonCourt

RaisinHog

Can we just forgo football season and jump right back into b-ball?

colbs

In the state finals he had a double team, dropped stepped and dunked it.  He has a better post game than you are giving him credit for.  He is still very raw but so was Portis when his freshmen year.  Gafford looks like he has developed a lot from his junior year. 

PonderinHog

Quote from: HOGdayafternoon on March 20, 2017, 11:07:04 am

I'm going with Hogday this time, tncbg.  No offense.

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: mbgrulz on March 20, 2017, 10:47:50 am

I haven't seen much of Hall, but I could see him being a Manny Watkins 2.0 guy. Seems to have a great basketball IQ, is a team first guy, and just does the little things to help his team win. With his athleticism and intangibles he could get big minutes early. I could see him starting along side Barford and Macon, allowing Beard, Jones, and Garland to come off the bench.

Youngsta71701

All of them have their moments. Neither one is very consistent as of right now.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Youngsta71701

Quote from: mbgrulz on March 20, 2017, 07:33:18 am
Actually, Gafford has NBA athleticism whereas MK doesn't.
If Portis has NBA athleticism then MK most certainly does.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 20, 2017, 09:50:11 am
Alandise Harris maybe? Marshawn Powell?

The_Iceman

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on March 20, 2017, 04:14:58 pm

Hall is a better ball handler than Harris, and more explosive than Powell at the rim. He has an interesting skills set for sure for a 6'6" 220lb frame.

I'm trying to think of a current or former SEC player he compares to.

RaisinHog

Just from watching his tape I feel he is more of a 3 than those guys he can handle the ball on fast breaks and can shoot it a lil

Kevin McPherson

Nothing like either. Think more along the lines of Qualls.

RaisinHog

Quote from: HOGdayafternoon on March 20, 2017, 04:45:55 pm

Yes I think he will develop into a big guard essentially

The_Iceman

Quote from: HOGdayafternoon on March 20, 2017, 04:45:55 pm

Hall is thicker with better handles. Walls was more explosive and forceful at the basket.

ErieHog

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on March 20, 2017, 04:12:06 pm
If Portis has NBA athleticism then MK most certainly does.

MK is an excellent athlete.  It may be his single biggest upside  right now as a developmental player.
No cause, ever, in the history of all mankind, has produced more cold-blooded tyrants, more slaughtered innocents, and more orphans than socialism with power. It surpassed, exponentially, all other systems of production in turning out the dead. The bodies are all around us. And here is the problem: No one talks about them. No one honors them. No one does penance for them. No one has committed suicide for having been an apologist for those who did this to them. No one pays for them. No one is hunted down to account for them. It is exactly what Solzhenitsyn foresaw in The Gulag Archipelago: "No, no one would have to answer. No one would be looked into." Until that happens, there is no "after socialism."

rude1

Put Bailey in the lineup instead of DT against SH and we go home after game one. DT and AC aren't world beaters but both are ahead of Bailey at this point.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Garland is a 1& 2
Hall is a 3
Smith is a 3

I cannot wait for basketball IF Macon and Barford return.
If that happens and we can get one of the 4s to make a decent sized leap, this will be really really fun.