Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hawgball Is Back!!!

Started by hogwood, March 19, 2017, 07:31:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogwood

Despite the loss CMA proved to me that he can compete with the elites on the biggest stage. Playing like this I think we would've beat Gonzaga, Kansas, or Villanova this year. I'm really looking forward to the Phil Knight Invitational next season. I think we will be making noise again next year folks. The future is bright. What a great game with good old hawgball heart!! WPS!

factchecker

Great game.  Loved the effort.  Need to build off of the momentum and move forward.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Slater

Reminded me of 1993 against UNC, all night we got jobbed then. We are back, great classes coming in and in my opinion a very good foundation returns. 
FASTEST 40 ILUVMIKE

passinghog

Laid it out on the line. If Macon and Barford return, we're going to be nasty from a press standpoint next year

Otis

This game will only feed the Mike supporters and haters. It had what the supporters love, tenacious scrambling never give up attitude etc.  But it also feeds into the same issues people have against Mike and his style. Lack of rebounding, no semblance of any offensive plays or sets in the last 4 minutes to get any type of good shot etc. both sides will have plenty of ammo to use to support being for or against him.

Hollywood870

I think we can go ahead and play Bailey next year, out front on the press.

Swinesong1

Quote from: Otis on March 19, 2017, 07:37:31 pm
This game will only feed the Mike supporters and haters. It had what the supporters love, tenacious scrambling never give up attitude etc.  But it also feeds into the same issues people have against Mike and his style. Lack of rebounding, no semblance of any offensive plays or sets in the last 4 minutes to get any type of good shot etc. both sides will have plenty of ammo to use to support being for or against him.
. Let it go!  My goodness! 

maxhog5

Nothing is back yet.  Hogs lost to a team that shot 38 % from the field.  This game is something to build on, but nothing is back, yet.

arkyhog2012

It was UNC quit being stupid maxhog5

hogwood

Quote from: maxhog5 on March 19, 2017, 08:38:12 pm
Nothing is back yet.  Hogs lost to a team that shot 38 % from the field.  This game is something to build on, but nothing is back, yet.

They had 25 FTs to our 8. They won at the line.

WorfHog

Just another example of 5v8. Mike can only do so much.  :puke:

#It'sRigged

Atlhogfan1

At least we were finally competitive with one of the elite teams.  Guess that is progress.  Good season. 

As far as Hawg Ball maybe the near future teams will actually be able to play it and win games like this. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

arsuperhog

NC shot 38% because of the Hogs defense. Its not like NC was wide open and just missed. Every shot was contested or forced because of the defense.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: arkyhog2012 on March 19, 2017, 08:46:56 pm
It was UNC quit being stupid maxhog5
Yeah, a number 1 seed in the NCAA tournament. They lead the country in rebounding margin. Shouldn't they have blown us out?
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Youngsta71701

Quote from: hogwood on March 19, 2017, 08:53:09 pm
They had 25 FTs to our 8. They won at the line.
This was ridiculous. How do you only shoot 8 free throws against them with the style of defense they play? Especially down low. Seems like they fouled Macon every time he took a 3 point shot.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 19, 2017, 09:01:39 pm
At least we were finally competitive with one of the elite teams.  Guess that is progress.  Good season. 

As far as Hawg Ball maybe the near future teams will actually be able to play it and win games like this.
In order for us to win against the UNC's, Duke's, UCLA's and Kentucky's of this world we have to REALLY win. Get it? We can't let the game be close. We have to leave absolutely no doubt who the best team is.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: arsuperhog on March 19, 2017, 10:11:38 pm
NC shot 38% because of the Hogs defense. Its not like NC was wide open and just missed. Every shot was contested or forced because of the defense.
Except for the layups they got in the first half when we weren't getting back on defense. Other than that I agree.

PonderinHog

The Hawgball attitude is back!  The style has changed due to rule changes and better ball handlers all over the court, but the Hawgball attitude is definitely back!  Can't wait for next season!   :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

hogwood

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on March 20, 2017, 09:48:44 am
In order for us to win against the UNC's, Duke's, UCLA's and Kentucky's of this world we have to REALLY win. Get it? We can't let the game be close. We have to leave absolutely no doubt who the best team is.

For sure. And while I think Mike can win with less (almost proved that yesterday) I still think he needs a little more. If we just had a legit wing who is long and can defend, rebound, and score, I think we would've won. UNC's length killed us, and overall their athleticism was better. We had to play in another effort level the whole game to have a chance. That's why we had 3 guards cramping up at the end - because they were having to guard 6'6" wings all game.

PonderinHog

Quote from: hogwood on March 20, 2017, 09:55:15 am
For sure. And while I think Mike can win with less (almost proved that yesterday) I still think he needs a little more. If we just had a legit wing who is long and can defend, rebound, and score, I think we would've won. UNC's length killed us, and overall their athleticism was better. We had to play in another effort level the whole game to have a chance. That's why we had 3 guards cramping up at the end - because they were having to guard 6'6" wings all game.
I hate to agree with you.   >:(

I agree with you.   ;D

hogwood

To continue... I think Mike sees that and that is why he's been adding length accordingly.

He brought in 3 FR in 2016 who are pretty long and athletic.
- 6'6" Bailey
- 6'5" Jones
- 6'8" Hazen

In 2017 he has done the same.

- 6'11" Gafford
- 6'6" Hall
- 6'5" Garland

And maybe we add 6'5"/6" Smith too.

Pair that length with our quick and tough as nails guards (Beard, Barford, and Macon) and I think we are just one big man (need another big to help crash boards with Thompson and Gafford) away from being able to compete with anyone next season.

Arthur pigby sellers.

Couldn't agree more

hogwood

Quote from: PonderinHog on March 20, 2017, 09:55:03 am
The Hawgball attitude is back!  The style has changed due to rule changes and better ball handlers all over the court, but the Hawgball attitude is definitely back!  Can't wait for next season!   :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

And I agree with you there too. I hope everyone noted the "Arkansas Mentality" shirts that the bench was wearing all game.  The attitude/mentality is back, now engrained in all the returning players for next season who will then engrain it again for those that follow. We will just continue to build and build.

Little Lady Back

Quote from: hogwood on March 20, 2017, 10:06:57 am
And I agree with you there too. I hope everyone noted the "Arkansas Mentality" shirts that the bench was wearing all game.  The attitude/mentality is back, now engrained in all the returning players for next season who will then engrain it again for those that follow. We will just continue to build and build.

I love what CMA is building for our program and the future!   
#NolanRichardsonCourt

theFlyingHog

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on March 20, 2017, 09:46:37 am
This was ridiculous. How do you only shoot 8 free throws against them with the style of defense they play? Especially down low. Seems like they fouled Macon every time he took a 3 point shot.
Maybe I'm just used to watching SEC refs but I could not believe there were no fouls called down low when we were fighting for rebounds. I don't think I have ever seen them not call a foul when there's three or four guys all going up fighting for a rebound/put back. We sure didn't get any help.

But hey, we scared the crap out of UNC and I loved every minute of it. We need to play those top teams more! Let's keep making the tournament and we WILL start winning those games

Pig Worshipper

Hawgball won't be back until Mike starts getting our #1 Arkansas high school players into Razorback uniforms. If Nolan Richardson had not gotten a Corliss Williamson to wear Razorback red instead of Kentucky blue (or wherever) he would never have won a championship.

It isn't rocket science - in basketball or football. Anderson or Bielema are not going to ultimately win championships by "coaching up" 2 and 3 stars. Anderson has the easiest road because Arkansas does produce good basketball players nearly every year. Add Memphis into that mix. Mike has to step up his game or our Hogs will remain just a shade north of mediocre.

Dirty

Need to schedule some quality teams before SEC play!

LRHog

Quote from: Otis on March 19, 2017, 07:37:31 pm

Anyone who hates on a coach for taking a team with 7 new players, getting them gel'd enough to get (semi-screwed on seeding ) an 8 seed, and then take NC to the damn wire, with a major reason of losing being the refs making EGREGIOUS calls in the last 2 minutes... isnt a fan. They're a punk who's sole goal in life right now is to troll and spew sh*t on these forums.

Those people need to go outside and get a grip. :puke:

Woo damn pig hogs, future is bright. Now lets just get good enough to beat NC AND the refs.

Jborohog09

Quote from: Dirty on March 20, 2017, 10:32:24 am

Minnesota and Colorado State at home, road game at Houston, and three games in the Phil Knight Invitational which has several big-time programs.  I'm sure they'll get some decent mid-majors on the schedule like they did this season, too.  Should also get a home game out of the Big 12/SEC Challenge if they're in it.

LRHawg

This thread is catnip for the haters/trolls.

We have! Good schedule coming up next year.

40MINSOFHELL

I'm just waiting on that elusive sweet 16.

PonderinHog

We already have.  Check out the Phil Knight tourney teams. 

40MINSOFHELL

Quote from: PonderinHog on March 20, 2017, 10:37:48 am
I hope we get to play North Carolina, revenge time.

LRRandy

so you are saying that many here suffer from premature webackulation?
This is fun, isn't it.

311Hog

Quote from: Pig Worshipper on March 20, 2017, 10:22:52 am
Hawgball won't be back until Mike starts getting our #1 Arkansas high school players into Razorback uniforms. If Nolan Richardson had not gotten a Corliss Williamson to wear Razorback red instead of Kentucky blue (or wherever) he would never have won a championship.

It isn't rocket science - in basketball or football. Anderson or Bielema are not going to ultimately win championships by "coaching up" 2 and 3 stars. Anderson has the easiest road because Arkansas does produce good basketball players nearly every year. Add Memphis into that mix. Mike has to step up his game or our Hogs will remain just a shade north of mediocre.

And correct me if i wrong, but hasn't Mike done this for 2017 and 2018? I am pretty sure Gafford and Perry are the No. 1 guys for the next 2 years in AR.

I really think next year's team will be guard heavy, but with fantastic potential from the frontcourt freshman and returning players.  Bailey really showed us something, now in the off season if he finds a mid range shot look out.

RaisinHog

And we get Colarodo and Minnesota  at home

LRHawg

I really excited to see Gafford develop. I know it's way early, but I think 2018 could really be a monster year for us.

Dirty

Thanks, I didn't know it was out.  Still in mourning.

lstewart

Great performance yesterday to cap a very good season. I'm going to wait to see who returns and who leaves for next year before I get too excited about 2017-2018. The thing I'm not sure about is if seasons like this year and 2014-2015 are our peaks, then slipping back some to start the movement forward again. Hanging on to talented underclassmen is crucial to avoid having to somewhat start over each year. Am happy for Mike and the team, but if we have one or two leave early for the pro's, and then one or two transfer to another school, we may be back trying to scrap together 20 wins next year. Not blaming anyone, just seems like the scenario we have dealt with regularly the past few years.

Dirty

PonderinHog

phadedhawg

Proud of our team and the way they came together this season.  There's room for improvement and that's what has me excited.  The other Anderson teams when running into an opponent that outclasses them would curl into a ball but not this team.  This year they remembered they were Razorbacks and threw everything they had at 'em.  It was almost enough.  You can easily see by the cramps and chaos at the end we were out of gas and that's fine.  We left it all out on the court. 

Some size and a bit more quickness and we will be in the Final Four with that kind of effort.  Recruits can now see that Arkansas is a ticket to the big stage and they can be apart of something competitive.

hogsanity

How did A&M only shoot 11 Ft's against the Hogs with the style of defense the Hogs play?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Corkscrew Johnson

2016-17 was actually a decently orchestrated scheduled based on the number of newcomers we had.  Texas being as bad as they were this year, compared to the previous decade, was an unexpected twist that weakened the perception.  But with this many new faces, scheduling a Villanova or UNC early would have been a disaster and counterproductive to our development.  Our non-conference RPI was actually pretty solid, despite blowing our opportunities against OSU and Minnesota.

This team just needs a little more roster continuity from year-to-year, a little more experience at the guard position, and a little more size down low, and we will be able to be a mainstay in the sweet 16 discussion.   I think you saw a damn good representation yesterday of what hawgball can do in the ncaa tourney:  a top 5 team, with experienced and super talented guards (#2 assist team in the country) and a formidable frontline, got totally flustered, desperate, and lost yesterday.  And our roster is a little handicapped athletically compared to what it will look like in 2 years. 

hogwood

Quote from: Corkscrew Johnson on March 20, 2017, 12:05:56 pm
2016-17 was actually a decently orchestrated scheduled based on the number of newcomers we had.  Texas being as bad as they were this year, compared to the previous decade, was an unexpected twist that weakened the perception.  But with this many new faces, scheduling a Villanova or UNC early would have been a disaster and counterproductive to our development.  Our non-conference RPI was actually pretty solid, despite blowing our opportunities against OSU and Minnesota.

This team just needs a little more roster continuity from year-to-year, a little more experience at the guard position, and a little more size down low, and we will be able to be a mainstay in the sweet 16 discussion.   I think you saw a damn good representation yesterday of what hawgball can do in the ncaa tourney:  a top 5 team, with experienced and super talented guards (#2 assist team in the country) and a formidable frontline, got totally flustered, desperate, and lost yesterday.  And our roster is a little handicapped athletically compared to what it will look like in 2 years.

I agree. I think we will be in position for a SW16 next year too. Hopefully we can get a 6 seed and have a better draw.

311Hog

SR laden line up, with legit star freshman, from the state that have played together.  yeah if everyone comes back and is healthy i would say the future is bright.

naturalbornpigger

Very proud of the effort and tenacity of this Razorback team.  They could have quit several times this year (and in yesterdays game) but chose to double down and battle back.  Their heart is unquestionable.  Aside from the officiating (which was Carolina Blue), the final 3+ minutes with no execution on half court offense killed us.  We simply could not get a good look.  Credit NC with playing good defense with outstanding physical specimens, but we have to do a better job getting good looks against a man defense.  Nevertheless, very proud of the way this team competed.

GoHogzzGo

Quote from: 311Hog on March 20, 2017, 10:43:11 am
And correct me if i wrong, but hasn't Mike done this for 2017 and 2018? I am pretty sure Gafford and Perry are the No. 1 guys for the next 2 years in AR.

I really think next year's team will be guard heavy, but with fantastic potential from the frontcourt freshman and returning players.  Bailey really showed us something, now in the off season if he finds a mid range shot look out.

Nailed it. And 2019 if Justice Hill stays top of the pack lol. Assuming we hold on to everyone of course. Apparently CMA just needed some time to get rolling.
Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.

hawganatic

Because our entire game is around the perimeter with very little low post/inside game.  You aren't going to draw a lot of fouls if you aren't banging inside.

If Mike can get that corrected we can have a pretty nasty team next season.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: hawganatic on March 20, 2017, 12:29:21 pm
Because our entire game is around the perimeter with very little low post/inside game.  You aren't going to draw a lot of fouls if you aren't banging inside.

If Mike can get that corrected we can have a pretty nasty team next season.
How many times did Hannahs and Barford drive to the lane and get bumped or get there arm hit and no call was made? Don't tell me you didn't see them driving to the basket. As a matter of fact Dusty turned down numerous 3 point shots and jump shots choosing to penetrate to the lane. Not to mention Macon drove to the basket plenty of times also. And I don't even have to say how many times Kingsley got bumped when he shot down low which can throw off you whole shot.