Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Real story of the game is the 3-4 wrong calls

Started by Kenny Sowers, March 19, 2017, 07:17:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenny Sowers

CMA "We're going to pick them up when they get off the damn bus", in reference to guarding the other team.

moses_007

Macon clearly fouled on that long three in the last minute.  No call.  NC touched the ball going out of bounds, refs gave ball to NC.  NC went down and clearly ran over one of our guys, no call.

Pitiful.

ronmahony

"If you are able, save for them a place inside of you and save one backward glance when you are leaving for the places they can no longer go.
     Be not ashamed to say you loved them, though you may or may not have always. Take what they have taught you with their dying and keep it with your own.

And in that time when men decide and feel safe to call the war insane, take one moment to embrace those gentle heroes you left behind.

Arazorbackguy1

I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

Uberanubis

screwed out of the sweet 16 pathetic.........
Quote from: East TN HAWG on January 31, 2015, 11:37:05 am
I think it's a common event whether it is in AR or around the world where a group of Hog fans get together.  I've seen it in TN, TX, LA and in Germany.  Being a Razorback is like being in a brotherhood.  When the brotherhood meet, they call the Hogs.

TebowHater

The Bailey steal would have made it a 7 point lead for us, instead it was 3 point lead after their score.

The charge Bailey drew/walk on them (neither was called) would have given us the ball up 1 with 40 seconds left. Tough.

Cale

They called 4 fouls on UNC the entire 2nd Half. Just saying.
Quote from: jst01 on January 06, 2018, 06:00:42 pm<br />Maybe we are a baseball school <br />

Sharky

Eh, I don't think so. We outplayed them, but then we just got tight in the last five minutes. There were a few times where Dusty was wide open and we took bad shots instead. I knew it was over when we didn't let him take any dagger shots when we were up five--could have pushed it to 8 so easily, but no one thought about getting our top scorer the ball. Great game.

Our lack of tourney experience caught up to us.

SoonerSooie

Quote from: TebowHater on March 19, 2017, 07:21:59 pm
The Bailey steal would have made it a 7 point lead for us, instead it was 3 point lead after their score.

The charge Bailey drew/walk on them (neither was called) would have given us the ball up 1 with 40 seconds left. Tough.

^^^^^

This! Egads! How do you miss that major walk and the ensuring charge! Those two combined calls led to the offensive put back and their lead. That to me was a turning point. Good grief.

GoshenHog

fullfan

Berry charged and traveled on same play with 45 or so seconds left and score 65-66 NC.   Should have been hogs ball but instead is a NC 3pt lead.   Game changed on that pitiful missed double call.

sadhogfan

Quote from: moses_007 on March 19, 2017, 07:19:59 pm
Macon clearly fouled on that long three in the last minute.  No call.  NC touched the ball going out of bounds, refs gave ball to NC.  NC went down and clearly ran over one of our guys, no call.

Pitiful.

It's true that we tightened up at the end, but it is hard to overstate how much the bad officiating at the end turned the game.

HogFaninMemphis

Quote from: Sharky on March 19, 2017, 07:24:00 pm
Eh, I don't think so. We outplayed them, but then we just got tight in the last five minutes. There were a few times where Dusty was wide open and we took bad shots instead. I knew it was over when we didn't let him take any dagger shots when we were up five--could have pushed it to 8 so easily, but no one thought about getting our top scorer the ball. Great game.

well said. Yeah we got screwed on calls, but we started playing terribly, Anderson did nothing to set up offense, and we choked. Good season. We'll be back next year.
Go Hogs, Go Cardinals, and Go Grizzlies!

East TN HAWG

There were bad calls, but the difference in the game is that we quit playing the way we got the lead.  We did not run any good offensive sets at the end.  That's what lost the game.

upperdeck_hawg

The missed travel/charge was big but we simply got tight at the end. We didn't believe.
I don't hate the guy.  He's a great Hog, and a needed contributor.  I despise that he does not understand his role as a complimentary player puts an absolute ceiling on this team.

-ErieHog on Devo Davis

pigface

I suspect Jeff Long will bump Mike Anderson up to 3 million a year in the morning.  Well deserved.  Great season, Mike.

rude1

No way to sugar coat it, they swallowed the whistle on our end all day, and really swallowed it at the end of the game. Clearly Macon was fouled on the three, and the guy touched the ball, ball goes to NC. They come down run over Bailey, no call they get a tip in because of it.

elkhog

Yeah, yeah, yeah.  Never all our turnovers, never all our missed shots or bad shot selection.  We got mugged a few times, but could have survived if we hadn't of made so many mistakes.
GO HOGS!!!

TheTick077

Quote from: elkhog on March 19, 2017, 07:33:46 pm
Yeah, yeah, yeah.  Never all our turnovers, never all our missed shots or bad shot selection.  We got mugged a few times, but could have survived if we hadn't of made so many mistakes.
But that's the frustration...The fact that we made some mistakes, but overcame those to be leading the #1 seed down the stretch, only to be screwed by some very obvious non-calls! If we had just been outplayed, that's one thing. But to stand toe to toe, and lose a rigged fight is another. It amazes me that some people just can't understand the difference.
"Lordy, gents! Your banter is immaculate and a pleasure to witness!
--The Tick

LRRandy

i agree. Execute your offense in the final minutes and you won't have to complain about officiating. Great season for the Razorbacks.
This is fun, isn't it.

LRRandy

Quote from: TheTick077 on March 19, 2017, 07:37:04 pm
But that's the frustration...The fact that we made some mistakes, but overcame those to be leading the #1 seed down the stretch, only to be screwed by some very obvious non-calls!If we had just been outplayed, that's one thing. But to stand toe to toe, and lose a rigged fight is another. It amazes me that some people just can't understand the difference.
only one team complains about officiating. The loser. They were outplayed. The last 3:34 of the game when they couldn't score and Carolina finished on a 12-0 run. Score a little and maybe complain. Carolina was the better team. Razorbacks played great for 37 minutes. Couldn't get it done the last 3.
This is fun, isn't it.

pigmailyen

Hammer, meet nail.

LRRandy

Quote from: elkhog on March 19, 2017, 07:33:46 pm
Razorbacks played well and lost. No shame in that. Lament the missed opportunity, but Carolina was simply better down the stretch.
This is fun, isn't it.

GoHogs1091

The Berry play at the end in which Meeks tipped it in could have been called a block on us (our defender was not set).

The play in which the replay was not definitive regarding whether their player's finger(s) touched the ball would have left us 1 second on the shot clock.  Not much could have been done offensively with only 1 second remaining on the shot clock.

TulsaJack32

Don't forget the Barford call on the blocked dunk attempt.

TheTick077

Quote from: LRRandy on March 19, 2017, 07:45:12 pm
only one team complains about officiating. The loser. They were outplayed. The last 3:34 of the game when they couldn't score and Carolina finished on a 12-0 run. Score a little and maybe complain. Carolina was the better team. Razorbacks played great for 37 minutes. Couldn't get it done the last 3.
Obviously they didn't get it done. But to sit there and act like blatantly bad calls that don't go your way (and questionable calls all night) don't have an effect? That's just moronic! How can you not see the heart they were playing with wither? How can losing a possession, and letting them get away with a blatant walk/charge that earned them 2 points not effect the outcome? Do you think if it was a 1 point game we would have played different? I do.

I sure hope you are are just trolling me...Otherwise IDK what else to say.
--The Tick

sickboy

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on March 19, 2017, 07:47:26 pm
The Berry play at the end in which Meeks tipped it in could have been called a block on us (our defender was not set).

The play in which the replay was not definitive regarding whether their player's finger(s) touched the ball would have left us 1 second on the shot clock.  Not much could have been done offensively with only 1 second remaining on the shot clock.

My issue with the Berry play was that he shoved our guy with his right hand. He literally pushed him away. That should have been the call. But the refs were all over the place with North Carolina. They let them push and shove all game.

TheTick077

And the UNC guy that tipped the ball, what about his forearm across our shooters arm? Did that not matter either?

And the walk that preceded the charge/block? Irrelevant too?
--The Tick

hogfan10

Quote from: LRRandy on March 19, 2017, 07:41:23 pm
i agree. Execute your offense in the final minutes and you won't have to complain about officiating. Great season for the Razorbacks.

Or even better, if the refs don't screw you, there won't be a need to complain.
It's inexcusable to go to the replay and still miss an obvious block/out of bounds off unc.
How is that possible, they saw it on the replay (they also saw an obvious uncalled foul on the shot), but still gave the ball to unc.

sickboy

Quote from: LRRandy on March 19, 2017, 07:45:12 pm

That's not true. I'll continue to complain about the officiating in college basketball in general. It's really bad and you're seeing it in a lot of these games. Not just Arkansas getting screwed. A lot of teams get unlucky because of poorly called games.

But I'll readily admit that officiating is not easy. They're human. It happens. In today's college game you have to play around the officials. It's part of the game.

So did the refs steal the game from Arkansas? No. Not at all. Did they effect the game? 110%.

hogfan10

Quote from: TheTick077 on March 19, 2017, 07:52:20 pm
And the UNC guy that tipped the ball, what about his forearm across our shooters arm? Did that not matter either?

And the walk that preceded the charge/block? Irrelevant too?

There would have been at least 2 seconds on the shot clock. Anything could have happened; made shot, missed shot put back, foul while shooting. Point is we didn't get the opportunity to make a play. It was obvious that the ball was blocked; ball rotation and direction of ball changed.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: sickboy on March 19, 2017, 07:51:12 pm
My issue with the Berry play was that he shoved our guy with his right hand. He literally pushed him away. That should have been the call. But the refs were all over the place with North Carolina. They let them push and shove all game.

Any possible shove by an offensive player becomes irrelevant when a defender is not set.  When a defender is not set any possible shove by an offensive player does not equate to any advantage gained by the offensive player (the defensive player still has an advantage by not being set).

Killean

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on March 19, 2017, 07:56:25 pm
Any possible shove by an offensive player becomes irrelevant when a defender is not set.  When a defender is not set any possible shove by an offensive player does not equate to any advantage gained by the offensive player (the defensive player still has an advantage by not being set).

You sir have zero understanding of the rules of basketball.

The defender does not need to be set.  If the offensive player shoves him.  It's an offensive foul.  If the offensive player takes 4 to 6 steps without the dribble.  That's a travel.  It was a complete and utter blown call after another complete and utter blown call on the three attempt.
Everyone is born with the right to exist. When you become a Nazi you give up that right.

The Boar War

Not much could have been done offensively with only 1 second remaining on the shot clock.

Absolutely nothing can be done when it's given to the other team.

hogfan10

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on March 19, 2017, 07:56:25 pm

Not true, you don't have to be set as a defender. If you are not set, your chest must be in front of the offensive player, if it is, and he runs over you; it's an offensive foul. Either way, you can't take 4/5 steps with the ball.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: Killean on March 19, 2017, 07:58:24 pm

The defender does not need to be set.  If the offensive player shoves him.  It's an offensive foul.  If the offensive player takes 4 to 6 steps without the dribble.  That's a travel.  It was a complete and utter blown call after another complete and utter blown call on the three attempt.

Our defender was not set, therefore the refs did not call an offensive foul on their player for a push-off.

A defender has to be in position by being set for a push-off to matter.

hogsanity

Yes that no call had to be something. But the story of the game was getting down 17 then not scoring in the last 3.5 mins either.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on March 19, 2017, 08:03:32 pm
Our defender was not set, therefore the refs did not call an offensive foul on their player for a push-off.

A defender has to be in position by being set for a push-off to matter.
No he doesn't. You can be running full speed away from somebody and if they push you it can be called an offensive foul. You have no idea what you're talking about. That was a player control foul on unc if anything.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on March 19, 2017, 08:06:36 pm
No he doesn't. You can be running full speed away from somebody and if they push you it can be called an offensive foul. You have no idea what you're talking about. That was a player control foul on unc if anything.

Nope, if anything it was block foul by our player.

The bottom line is that a defender has to be set.

Regardless, the refs decided to not make any call.

LRRandy

Quote from: hogfan10 on March 19, 2017, 07:53:09 pm
Or even better, if the refs don't screw you, there won't be a need to complain.
It's inexcusable to go to the replay and still miss an obvious block/out of bounds off unc.
How is that possible, they saw it on the replay (they also saw an obvious uncalled foul on the shot), but still gave the ball to unc.
yet you see it all the time in football and basketball. How do they not overturn the obvious. I agree. Arkansas should have had the ball on the baseline with 2 seconds on the shot clock. Look at the shot that was taken though. Barford dribing out an entire shot clock and not getting to the basket. Execute down the stretch and don't leave it for questionable calls to have an impact. Loser mentality to blame officiating. Hogs didn't get it done. Great season. Tough last 3 minutes.
This is fun, isn't it.

NorthDallas40

Is there a way to post videos from your phone? I taped the two horrible calls.

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on March 19, 2017, 08:09:54 pm

Wrong. A player has to be in a legal guarding position. By your definition an off ball defender can be face guarding somebody and the offensive player can intentionally barrel into him and it not be an offensive foul. You obviously know nothing about basketball.

LRRandy

Quote from: hogz11 on March 19, 2017, 07:51:50 pm
You're a blind fool. Hogs were hosed and even national media is complaining about it.
i must be blind because I sure didn't see Arkansas score in the last 3:30 of the game. A few questionable calls or no calls doesn't change that. Only a blind homer can't see that.

This is fun, isn't it.

hogfan10

Quote from: LRRandy on March 19, 2017, 08:10:50 pm
yet you see it all the time in football and basketball. How do they not overturn the obvious. I agree. Arkansas should have had the ball on the baseline with 2 seconds on the shot clock. Look at the shot that was taken though. Barford dribing out an entire shot clock and not getting to the basket. Execute down the stretch and don't leave it for questionable calls to have an impact. Loser mentality to blame officiating. Hogs didn't get it done. Great season. Tough last 3 minutes.

Agree way too much dribbling in the final minutes.

hoggusamoungus

Quote from: zeke_in_kc on March 19, 2017, 07:54:25 pm
I disagree with the thread premise.

The "story of the game" is 3-4 horrid half court possessions starting at about the three minute mark.

And 19 turnovers. 

GoHogs1091

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on March 19, 2017, 08:14:47 pm

Wrong. A player has to be in a legal guarding position. By your definition an off ball defender can be face guarding somebody and the offensive player can intentionally barrel into him and it not be an offensive foul. You obviously know nothing about basketball.

The problem though is that our player was not in a legal guarding position because he was not set.

hogfan10

Quote from: LRRandy on March 19, 2017, 08:16:29 pm
i must be blind because I sure didn't see Arkansas score in the last 3:30 of the game. A few questionable calls or no calls doesn't change that. Only a blind homer can't see that.

A few questionable calls or no calls absolutely could have changed that. We could have been shooting FTs, or they might not have scored enough w/o the questionable calls/no calls to win.
Sure we could have done better to put the game away, but that doesn't excuse the refs obvious assist to unc.

Sow Lancelot

Quote from: Killean on March 19, 2017, 07:58:24 pm

Yep, QED; See the call against Barford early in the second half.
"Nec vitia nostra nec remedium tolerare possumus." Livy
Nihil boni sine labore, sic vis pacem, para bellum.

OhioHog

Quote from: Cale on March 19, 2017, 07:22:19 pm
They called 4 fouls on UNC the entire 2nd Half. Just saying.

That's what stood out to me.   Four fouls the entire second half? 

Sow Lancelot

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on March 19, 2017, 08:09:54 pm

Either you are being obtuse or a jackass. Barford was called for an offensive push off earlier in the half in the same scenario.
"Nec vitia nostra nec remedium tolerare possumus." Livy
Nihil boni sine labore, sic vis pacem, para bellum.