ShadowHawg

Is 4-1 after the first round.

moses_007

Yep, everybody won except Vanderbilt.

mhsbc59

Quote from: ShadowHawg on March 17, 2017, 11:38:33 pm
Is 4-1 after the first round.

And should be 5-0 smart kids made all time bone head play in Vanderbilt game
I have changed my sig line of over 4 years that was never a problem until May 5 ,2011

daprospecta

But according to the experts here, the SEC is down right?

mhsbc59

Also the NCAA did the SEC no favors in the match ups they gave us either
I have changed my sig line of over 4 years that was never a problem until May 5 ,2011

HogBreath

I have had a sneaking suspicion the conference was a little bit better than given credit for. 

In addition to the teams making the dance, Bama, Georgia, Tinner & Ole Piss were actually some pretty capable teams, with Aubbie, A&M & Miss State all having some potential.

LSU & Mizzou both of course really struggled.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

verticalhog

Sure wish Vandy had won.  I'm out in PAC 12 country and they are tooting their horn because they did go 5-0.  Can't believe SMU slacked off and let USC come back and beat them!  Can't stand the University of Spoiled Children!

HogBreath

Quote from: mhsbc59 on March 17, 2017, 11:46:02 pm
Really, really poor job by the selection committee.  They need to wake the heck up.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

RaisinHog

Quote from: mhsbc59 on March 17, 2017, 11:46:02 pm

I disagree ... Florida got a 3 seed that's pretty high for them .. hell vandy lost 15 games and got a 9 ... Then South Carolina goes on amawful stretch to.end the season and gets rewarded with a 7 seed and home games.... Now us and Kentucky got in a murders row bracket ... But there was still favors done

my3boneheads

Don't look at the NIT bracket.

PORKULATOR

The SEC Sux. The big East is gonna go undefeated in the tournament. 🤣🤣🤣😂
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: RaisinHog on March 18, 2017, 07:21:52 am
I disagree ... Florida got a 3 seed that's pretty high for them .. hell vandy lost 15 games and got a 9 ... Then South Carolina goes on amawful stretch to.end the season and gets rewarded with a 7 seed and home games.... Now us and Kentucky got in a murders row bracket ... But there was still favors done

FL is a 4

RaisinHog

Yea I see that but still they got to play In Orlando as a 4 and they may have one of the easier draws with virginia

k.c.hawg

Quote from: RaisinHog on March 18, 2017, 07:21:52 am

Might look at a bracket, Florida is a 4 seed.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

hawgmasta

Quote from: Rock City Razorback on March 17, 2017, 11:48:28 pm
SC as a 7 seed playing a home game was pretty favorable. And Florida's path isn't exactly death row. Hogs got hosed playing in toughest bracket against blue bloods and UNC AGAIN in the 2nd round.

I was thinking, it's literally been our 2nd round opponent the last three times we've been to the tournament correct?

2008 Ark 9 seed NC 1 seed we lost 77-108
2015 Ark 5 seed NC 4 seed we lost 78-87
2017 Ark 8 seed NC 1 seed TBD

hobhog

k.c.hawg

Quote from: sevenof400 on March 18, 2017, 08:18:44 am
A split of the 8/9 games and three better seeds winning does not disprove the image.

Now if four SEC teams make the Sweet 16, you might have a point.

Considering many dumbasses on here insisted it would be a 3 bid league at most and pushed the "narrative" that there were no quality wins in the league other than Kentucky or Florida, I'll take 4-1 in the first round. The mighty Big East is 3-4. The ACC has had 3 teams exit, the A 10 is 1-2, the Big 12 has had 2 teams exit. So yes to hear most on Hogville tell it, we don't play tournament worthy teams in the SEC, and we are a terrible basketball conference. Sometimes I question myself for coming on here and reading this crap.

Is the league packed with top 4 seeds, no. But it was easy to see that the middle of the league was much better than it has been in years. There are 32 teams left standing and 4 are SEC teams.

Teams remaining by conference.

ACC    6
PAC    5
12      5
10      5
SEC    4
East   3
A 10   1
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: k.c.hawg on March 18, 2017, 08:41:46 am
Considering many dumbasses on here insisted it would be a 3 bid league at most and pushed the "narrative" that there were no quality wins in the league other than Kentucky or Florida, I'll take 4-1 in the first round. The mighty Big East is 3-4. The ACC has had 3 teams exit, the A 10 is 1-2, the Big 12 has had 2 teams exit. So yes to hear most on Hogville tell it, we don't play tournament worthy teams in the SEC, and we are a terrible basketball conference. Sometimes I question myself for coming on here and reading this crap.

It's like driving down the expressway and seeing a wreck of mangled, twisted vehicles and you fear what you might see as you pass by but you look anyway.
Hogs up! Covid down!

Hawg Red

Quote from: daprospecta on March 17, 2017, 11:40:32 pm
But according to the experts here, the SEC is down right?

I mean.....the higher seeded teams won so.....

Very good showing by the conference, but they really haven't done anything they weren't supposed to do. Even the Hogs were slightly favored to beat Seton Hall. We'll see what happens now that they are matched up with higher seeds. Then the bragging can land. As it stands now, a 2 beat a 15, a 4 beat a 13, a 7 beat a 10, an 8 beat a 9 and a 9 lost to an 8. That's called chalk. But, hey, it could be worse and the Hogs and SC could've lost.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 18, 2017, 08:57:07 am

Very good showing by the conference, but they really haven't done anything they weren't supposed to do. Even the Hogs were slightly favored to beat Seton Hall. We'll see what happens now that they are matched up with higher seeds. Then the bragging can land. As it stands now, a 2 beat a 15, a 4 beat a 13, a 7 beat a 10, an 8 beat a 9 and a 9 lost to an 8. That's called chalk. But, hey, it could be worse and the Hogs and SC could've lost.

You are talking facts but the poster was referring to "Hogville experts" who all year were saying the SEC sucked.
Hogs up! Covid down!

Swinesong1

I don't think the OP is talking about seeds.  They're addressing the season long  Jumpball narrative that the SEC is weak and that no more than three teams would get a bid.  Five teams got in and all five represented well with Vandy snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. 

Hawg Red

Quote from: FineAsSwine on March 18, 2017, 09:01:35 am
You are talking facts but the poster was referring to "Hogville experts" who all year were saying the SEC sucked.

I understand. I am saying that I don't think what they've done so far in the tournament is really all that impressive if Kentucky is the only team remaining come Monday. I don't think most people thought the SEC would get just 3 teams in. I feel like most here thought they'd get 4 in. Vanderbilt beating Florida 3 times and Iowa State really helped the league. And who knows how SC would have played if they weren't gifted a draw in Greenville. Different story if they go down to a 10 seed. SC really sucked at end the season and got a sweetheart placement. I think the SEC has done a little better than expected this year but I and many expected the top 4 teams to make the tournament. Vanderbilt was a nice boost.

k.c.hawg

Well the higher seeded teams have won. But to hear 80% of the people on here talking SEC they should not have been in the tournament. I cannot count the times I' read there was no way we would/should get 4 teams in much less 5. Arkansas was not worthy of a tournament bid yet they can go beat an evenly seeded all mighty Big East team. Other leagues which are so strong in basketball have dropped games they should have won. Yes, we will be doing good to advance 2 teams to the Sweet 16 but the narrative of the SEC being so weak is old news. The league is recruiting better and become a tougher place to win.

apcapri

How did the "bad SEC" get 5 teams in? And how is it the 4 of those 5 were seeded in the top half? I mean if the "SEC sucks" wouldn't they be lucky to get any teams in and wouldn't they be low seeds?

Hawg Red

Quote from: k.c.hawg on March 18, 2017, 09:08:04 am
Well the higher seeded teams have won. But to hear 80% of the people on here talking SEC they should not have been in the tournament. I cannot count the times I' read there was no way we would/should get 4 teams in much less 5. Arkansas was not worthy of a tournament bid yet they can go beat an evenly seeded all mighty Big East team. Other leagues which are so strong in basketball have dropped games they should have won. Yes, we will be doing good to advance 2 teams to the Sweet 16 but the narrative of the SEC being so weak is old news. The league is recruiting better and become a tougher place to win.

80%. Man, get real. You are letting some things you read that you didn't agree with shape your perception of what the whole of Hogville thinks. Everyone knew Kentucky and Florida would make it. Most posters here, and this is not up for debate, expected Arkansas to make it. South Carolina won 24 games last season and got left out because their SOS was so poor. It wasn't poor this year. That's 4 teams that should make the NCAA tournament.

I don't doubt that you read that some people here said the SEC was horrible and would only get 3 teams. But you didn't read 80% of posters say that. Not even close. I will say that many underestimated the opportunities for quality wins, but we're getting a little carried away here. Again, it's very possible there is 1 SEC team, maybe even zero, left standing after tomorrow's games, and that would be disappointing as a conference.

Swinesong1

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 18, 2017, 09:19:24 am
80%. Man, get real. You are letting some things you read that you didn't agree with shape your perception of what the whole of Hogville thinks. Everyone knew Kentucky and Florida would make it. Most posters here, and this is not up for debate, expected Arkansas to make it. South Carolina won 24 games last season and got left out because their SOS was so poor. It wasn't poor this year. That's 4 teams that should make the NCAA tournament.

I don't doubt that you read that some people here said the SEC was horrible and would only get 3 teams. But you didn't read 80% of posters say that. Not even close. I will say that many underestimated the opportunities for quality wins, but we're getting a little carried away here. Again, it's very possible there is 1 SEC team, maybe even zero, left standing after tomorrow's games, and that would be disappointing as a conference.
why would five teams getting invited and the conference as a whole finishing above .500 in the tourney be a disappointment for a conference considered weak?

Hawg Red

Quote from: apcapri on March 18, 2017, 09:10:43 am
How did the "bad SEC" get 5 teams in? And how is it the 4 of those 5 were seeded in the top half? I mean if the "SEC sucks" wouldn't they be lucky to get any teams in and wouldn't they be low seeds?

So, everyone knew Kentucky and Florida would be high seeds. Right? Okay, now you have SC as a 7 seed. Who here really thinks they should have been a 7? (Hint: I already know we all think they should have been more like a 10 or at least a 9.) Then you have the Hogs as an 8, the lowest "higher" seed and Vanderbilt as a 9.

So, yeah, the SEC was kinda lucky to get so many higher seeds. South Carolina did not earn a 7 seed. Period. I'll take luck any day, though.

We're talking about 5 teams from a 14-team league. That's not great but better than it has been in previous seasons.

Dominicanhog

now all we need is for the narrative to be " The Massacre in Greenville"... the late night crowd chanting SEC..SEC

Hawg Red

Quote from: Swinesong1 on March 18, 2017, 09:23:09 am
why would five teams getting invited and the conference as a whole finishing above .500 in the tourney be a disappointment for a conference considered weak?

Because, to start, only getting 5/14 teams in is not very good. Then to have 0 or 1 team left after the first weekend is not very good. It's not rocket science. Let's see if we get more than Kentucky (or even Kentucky) to the second weekend.

There's potential for the SEC to finish 4-5 in the NCAA tournament, by the way.

Swinesong1

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 18, 2017, 09:28:09 am
Because, to start, only getting 5/14 teams in is not very good. Then to have 0 or 1 team left after the first weekend is not very good. It's not rocket science. Let's see if we get more than Kentucky (or even Kentucky) to the second weekend.

That potential will not be realized tho.  We both know that.  Now the debate has switched to percentage of the league that makes it?  That isn't the argument and wasn't all season and you know it. 

Hawg Red

Quote from: Swinesong1 on March 18, 2017, 09:30:30 am
That potential will not be realized tho.  We both know that.  Now the debate has switched to percentage of the league that makes it?  That isn't the argument and wasn't all season and you know it.

What is THE argument? I thought it was that there weren't very many good teams in the league. Isn't saying only 5/14 (almost 36%) just another way of saying that?

I'm not switching debates. I'm only saying that the SEC has done okay in the tournament so far and hasn't done anything unexpected yet. I'm not saying the SEC is horrible. I'm saying it is still a somewhat mediocre conference, though the potential is there.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 18, 2017, 09:28:09 am

True, but one win this weekend means at least a .500 record .. 2 wins and the conference has a wining record for the tournament.... not all the P5s will say that at the end...

hawgwash

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 18, 2017, 09:34:39 am
What is THE argument? I thought it was that there weren't very many good teams in the league. Isn't saying only 5/14 (almost 36%) just another way of saying that?

I'm not switching debates. I'm only saying that the SEC has done okay in the tournament so far and hasn't done anything unexpected yet. I'm not saying the SEC is horrible. I'm saying it is still a somewhat mediocre conference, though the potential is there.
THE argument is whether or not the conference DESERVES more than 5 slots in the tournament?  How would a Georgia, TN, etc. have performed if given a chance.  Saying the fact we only got 5/14 in the tournament makes us a weak conference is a self-fulfilling prophecy.  If that makes us a weak conference, we'll only get 5 in the tournament next year, which will again prove we are still a weak conference, and so on into infinity.

k.c.hawg

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 18, 2017, 09:19:24 am

Yep I did get carried away. It's nowhere near 80%, it is more like the same loud, relentless posters that distort the facts in any post they make about the basketball program. It does appear that it could be cycling back around to the SEC being a strong conference again.

k.c.hawg

Quote from: hawgwash on March 18, 2017, 09:43:38 am
THE argument is whether or not the conference DESERVES more than 5 slots in the tournament?  How would a Georgia, TN, etc. have performed if given a chance.  Saying the fact we only got 5/14 in the tournament makes us a weak conference is a self-fulfilling prophecy.  If that makes us a weak conference, we'll only get 5 in the tournament next year, which will again prove we are still a weak conference, and so on into infinity.

I think 5 is absolutely as far as we could stretch it this year. None of the SEC teams that got left out this year have anything close to a case for getting in.

hawgwash

Quote from: k.c.hawg on March 18, 2017, 09:48:17 am
I think 5 is absolutely as far as we could stretch it this year. None of the SEC teams that got left out this year have anything close to a case for getting in.
And that may well be correct.  I think the real way to prove conference strength is by winning out of conference games during the season against quality opponents.  I'm just disagreeing with Hawg Red when he says only getting 5 in PROVES we are a weak conference.  Only getting 5 in could also be the result of anti SEC bias.

Science Fiction Greg

We played North Carolina 3 times in the tournament in the 90s, too.  1990 Sweet Sixteen, 1993 probably the Sweet Sixteen (not 100%, they knocked us out, though--Corliss's freshman year), and 1995 Final FOur.
I spend all my time playing Trackmania, and various board games. You might remember me as Corndog7 or PossibleOatmeal.
Twitter sucks now. I deleted my account. I mostly just use TikTok now.

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 18, 2017, 09:07:10 am
I understand. I am saying that I don't think what they've done so far in the tournament is really all that impressive if Kentucky is the only team remaining come Monday. I don't think most people thought the SEC would get just 3 teams in. I feel like most here thought they'd get 4 in. Vanderbilt beating Florida 3 times and Iowa State really helped the league. And who knows how SC would have played if they weren't gifted a draw in Greenville. Different story if they go down to a 10 seed. SC really sucked at end the season and got a sweetheart placement. I think the SEC has done a little better than expected this year but I and many expected the top 4 teams to make the tournament. Vanderbilt was a nice boost.
I'd venture to say that you still predicted Marquette to beat South Carolina, despite the site, right? Fact is, regardless of location, SC was whipped by the SEC to end the season but showed up and put it on Marquette. I think Bama and UGA (with a healthy Maten) would have won tourney games as well.

SEC basketball is on the rise and it should not be a secret as to why. Compare the coaches in the league right now to 5 years ago. Only Missouri and LSU had sub-par coaches this season, and depending on who LSU hires, every team may have a quality coach this season. How long has it been since we could say that?

Hawg Red

Quote from: What's Shakin' Macon on March 18, 2017, 10:22:34 am
I'd venture to say that you still predicted Marquette to beat South Carolina, despite the site, right? Fact is, regardless of location, SC was whipped by the SEC to end the season but showed up and put it on Marquette. I think Bama and UGA (with a healthy Maten) would have won tourney games as well.

SEC basketball is on the rise and it should not be a secret as to why. Compare the coaches in the league right now to 5 years ago. Only Missouri and LSU had sub-par coaches this season, and depending on who LSU hires, every team may have a quality coach this season. How long has it been since we could say that?

The SEC is definitely on the rise, I think. But it is still a mediocre conference.

Hawg Red

Quote from: hawgwash on March 18, 2017, 09:43:38 am

I'm judging that based on how many other major conference is get in. UGA and Tennessee did not deserve bids this year so that is a non-starter.

ShadowHawg

Survive and advance. Higher seeds have already lost in this tournament.

The selection shows I watched picked Fla, SC, Vanderbilt, and us to all lose in the first round. That was just on CBS.

Not only did they win, the SEC teams had some of the largest scoring margins in the tournament.

The narrative all season has been that SEC was awful. 5 teams in and 4 first round wins DOES soundly dispute that.

No one is saying that the SEC is dominant yet, but it's far from a cake walk.

Hawg Red

Quote from: k.c.hawg on March 18, 2017, 09:46:02 am
Yep I did get carried away. It's nowhere near 80%, it is more like the same loud, relentless posters that distort the facts in any post they make about the basketball program. It does appear that it could be cycling back around to the SEC being a strong conference again.

I agree there. If these coaches like Pearl, Howland, etc. are given proper time, the SEC will be a strong conference again.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 18, 2017, 10:39:57 am
The SEC is definitely on the rise, I think. But it is still a mediocre conference.

The title of the thread used the word suxx.

No one is saying that the SEC is dominant, but it sure reads like you are trying to make the claim that 5 bids and 4 wins equals suxx.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: ShadowHawg on March 18, 2017, 10:54:13 am

The selection shows I watched picked Fla, SC, Vanderbilt, and us to all lose in the first round. That was just on CBS.

Not only did they win, the SEC teams had some of the largest scoring margins in the tournament.

The narrative all season has been that SEC was awful. 5 teams in and 4 first round wins DOES soundly dispute that.

Hogs up! Covid down!

Hawg Red

Quote from: ShadowHawg on March 18, 2017, 10:54:13 am

Anyone predicting ETSU to beat Florida is just getting cute. I wouldn't put too much into that.

I would say the SEC is gaining strength, not weak, but ultimately a mostly mediocre conference currently. It's good that 4/5 advanced. I just don't think it defeats the notion that the SEC is a mediocre conference. And I think if all SEC teams were to lose today and tomorrow, it would give rise to the argument that it's a weak conference. For my part, I have only Kentucky advancing to the S16 but that UF/UVA matchup is a tough one. I'm really just concerned with Arkansas pulling off the upset of the tournament. I think the conference will be better next season and continue to get better.

rtr

I thought Ole Miss deserved a bid.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

Hawg Red

Quote from: ShadowHawg on March 18, 2017, 11:02:40 am
The title of the thread used the word suxx.

No one is saying that the SEC is dominant, but it sure reads like you are trying to make the claim that 5 bids and 4 wins equals suxx.

That's how you are taking it. The SEC does not suck. I just don't think only winning 4/5 first round matchups is cause for chest thumping because, like I said, if it somehow ends up that no SEC teams are in the S16, the conference isn't going to look very good.

It is possible for someone to think something isn't great or proves much but also think it doesn't suck.

Hawg Red

Quote from: rtr on March 18, 2017, 11:15:29 am
I thought Ole Miss deserved a bid.

Based on what, exactly?

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: k.c.hawg on March 18, 2017, 08:41:46 am

Is the league packed with top 4 seeds, no. But it was easy to see that the middle of the league was much better than it has been in years. There are 32 teams left standing and 4 are SEC teams.

Teams remaining by conference.

ACC    6
PAC    5
12      5
10      5
SEC    4
East   3
A 10   1

We are what we are, look at your own list.  UK, UF and Arkansas should be locks every year. Of the other 11 teams, Missouri, LSU and Vanderbilt should aspire to be in the tourny almost every year.  After that Ole Miss and MSU play serious basketball and maybe SC is getting there. The rest of the league, who knows whether they for sure know that a basketball is round from year to year.  I would say the SEC has potential to put 6-7 teams in...but we don't or haven't in a while.

Some think it's getting better and it might, five is better than three.  Right now we are a football and baseball conference and other conferences love to point that out to recruits.

And yes Missouri is a basketball school with good tradition who needs to get it back if your wanting to brag on the conference.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 18, 2017, 11:17:18 am
That's how you are taking it. The SEC does not suck. I just don't think only winning 4/5 first round matchups is cause for chest thumping because, like I said, if it somehow ends up that no SEC teams are in the S16, the conference isn't going to look very good.

It is possible for someone to think something isn't great or proves much but also think it doesn't suck.

Sure. I just hadn't got that from your earlier posts.

I am not claiming juggernaut, but it's way closer to good than it is to sorry.