Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

By substituting in....

Started by Iwastherein1969, March 17, 2017, 07:31:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Iwastherein1969

the second half when we had a 51-46 lead almost cost us the game. When we substituted in the "you know who's" team, Seton Hall went on a 12-1 run which took us from a widening 5 point lead to a 6 point deficit. The deficit allowed Seton Hall to play a slow down half court game and we had fallen right into their trap. Now I know what the people who disagree with me are going to say, "Our boys need rest". To which I say, if you can't play at least 35+ minutes in what could be your last game as a Razorback, well I question the conditioning. Also, to those who cry, "Our boys need rest", one must understand that time outs at the designated slots during the game are almost twice as long as regular season games as CBS and its affiliates must get in a full amount of commercials to pay the type of money to the NCAA they do for covering the game. So there's a lot more hidden rests for the players than during a regular season. Notice how neither coach felt the need to call a time out ? Put it this way, neither team was close to using up it's allotted time outs. Again, the culprit ? Long TV time outs.

Bottom line we almost lost a game today we should have won by double digits simply because we substituted in some players who weren't quite up to the moment and a couple who looked lost. The 12-1 run by Seton Hall against our subs put our starters in a hole which they shouldn't have had to navigate. Anyway, I'm proud of the boys for a great year no matter what happens Sunday. After all, we did bust Dickie V's bracket a bit and Moses got to prove his worth to the NBA.  But the boys didn't need nearly as much rests as usual for two reasons, the adrenaline of possibly playing their last game of the year or forever, and 2) the TV time outs being much longer than normal.
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

Hooch

With all due respect you are a *** idiot.

HiggiePiggy

If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

ShadowHawg

Stewhog 11

Our biggest advantage in tournament play is our depth, which is why we have been so good late in games this year, and you want to change it up and go 7 deep? Players do get tired, and do need rest, but they also get in foul trouble. If we don't use our bench what do we do when two of our starters foul out with 5 minutes left and we have to go the rest of the way with those players you're so afraid of getting on the floor?

Razorod

Recruiting is always the key. We're still not at a point where we have the quality we need from our bench. It's getting better, but still lacking in many ways.

JMO, recruiting will always be the key with Anderson. He's improved it some, but still needs to finish '17 and '18 classes strong.

Anderson teams will not truly be great until we're a true 10-11 deep.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

Hollywood_HOGan45

I could have sworn we beat a quality team in the big dance today.

I'm sure if we somehow beat Carolina we will STILL see you ass clowns posting "we won but...".

rwspear

Quote from: Rock City Razorback on March 17, 2017, 07:49:17 pm
Good theory with some validity solely due to the TO for the tourney being longer. But Mike doesn't always use his TO anyway. I do think that Beard drags this team down, and I hate that. I wouldn't seeing Jones during those substitutions though because if they're making a run, he at least has a chance to get going offensively and make some baskets. Regardless, the team we played today was a good one. Sure, we could have won by double digits, but fighting back to win is just another feather in the cap.

its not a good theory. it has no validity.

ricepig

Quote from: Hooch on March 17, 2017, 07:41:10 pm

Of the first order.....

HawgnCorona

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on March 17, 2017, 08:07:17 pm

I'm sure if we somehow beat Carolina we will STILL see you ass clowns posting "we won but...".

Yep, from the Big Least. SH actually played Villanova tough...
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

jbigs77

Well I guess you said what I was thinking after I read this nonsense. We do need to guard the 3 point shot better. But if we could get the calls on the penetration better, we can compete with NC

Dirty

PonderinHog

Quote from: Dirty on March 17, 2017, 08:38:37 pm
Did we lose the game?
We almost lost.  We need to almost lose five more.

rude1

OR it gave our players the needed rest to finish the game strongly, 23-11 I believe in the last 10 minutes of the game. Complain when it doesn't work????

labb

If, if, if we don't have the turnovers and blown fast break opportunities in the first half we would have been up about ten at half.

Martygit

The key word in this response is "due" - and he's due nothing - with no respect "you are a ******* idiot"
RIP OTR, REV

Tusks

Quote from: MartinGit on March 17, 2017, 08:46:37 pm
The key word in this response is "due" - and he's due nothing - with no respect "you are a ******* idiot"
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Rock City Razorback on March 17, 2017, 08:28:45 pm
It does have validity in that when certain lineups are out there, the points for/against margin is vastly different...

The notion that the other team got fatigued has more validity, given they went 1/10 from the floor in the final minutes.

I have watched SH several times. They are tough kids and beating them by double digits on a neutral court wasn't likely.

hogman99

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on March 17, 2017, 07:31:54 pm
the second half when we had a 51-46 lead almost cost us the game. When we substituted in the "you know who's" team, Seton Hall went on a 12-1 run which took us from a widening 5 point lead to a 6 point deficit. The deficit allowed Seton Hall to play a slow down half court game and we had fallen right into their trap. Now I know what the people who disagree with me are going to say, "Our boys need rest". To which I say, if you can't play at least 35+ minutes in what could be your last game as a Razorback, well I question the conditioning. Also, to those who cry, "Our boys need rest", one must understand that time outs at the designated slots during the game are almost twice as long as regular season games as CBS and its affiliates must get in a full amount of commercials to pay the type of money to the NCAA they do for covering the game. So there's a lot more hidden rests for the players than during a regular season. Notice how neither coach felt the need to call a time out ? Put it this way, neither team was close to using up it's allotted time outs. Again, the culprit ? Long TV time outs.

Bottom line we almost lost a game today we should have won by double digits simply because we substituted in some players who weren't quite up to the moment and a couple who looked lost. The 12-1 run by Seton Hall against our subs put our starters in a hole which they shouldn't have had to navigate. Anyway, I'm proud of the boys for a great year no matter what happens Sunday. After all, we did bust Dickie V's bracket a bit and Moses got to prove his worth to the NBA.  But the boys didn't need nearly as much rests as usual for two reasons, the adrenaline of possibly playing their last game of the year or forever, and 2) the TV time outs being much longer than normal.

This is quite accurate, great post. You have to sub, but let them play 3-4 minutes not 6-8 minutes. All around the TV timeouts and then you get more wall clock time.

bhogs05

I'm fine with the substitutions as long as a certain guard doesn't play..I do think we could shorten the lengths of substitutions especially if the subs start losing the lead like they did today.  Plus some of the lineups we have when we sub just can't get any offense going. 

Danny J

Quote from: Razorod on March 17, 2017, 08:05:16 pm
Recruiting is always the key. We're still not at a point where we have the quality we need from our bench. It's getting better, but still lacking in many ways.

JMO, recruiting will always be the key with Anderson. He's improved it some, but still needs to finish '17 and '18 classes strong.

Anderson teams will not truly be great until we're a true 10-11 deep.
Agree...we need to capitalize after our appearance this year...the last go around was a total disaster recruiting after basically the exact, if not better, season. We played and lost to UK in the sect, beat Wofford and lost to a 4 seed UNC. This year we lost to UK in the sect, beat SH and play a 1 seed UNC. We need to burn up the trail looking to sign at least 2 more. I have a gut feeling, based on nothing but my gut, that Barford will go pro. I hope that doesn't happen. I also feel someone transfers.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Or it won us the game by keeping our top guys fresh

Bigmac2

I believe what hurt us was with about 3 or 4  minutes left we were up by a couple of scores and MA decided to try and milk some clock taking us out of the flow. I may be totally wrong on the timing of it but it definitely affected us. It may have been the right decision but man I was worried at the time.

BrooklynRoss

'Now I know what the people who disagree with me are going to say, "Our boys need rest".' (and one line later) 'Also, to those who cry, "Our boys need rest"'

I'm a writer and I despise editors. However, you, sir, need an editor.
I support the Razorbacks in the city that never sleeps.

upperdeck_hawg

I'm ok with Cook never seeing any time unless were up 20
I don't hate the guy.  He's a great Hog, and a needed contributor.  I despise that he does not understand his role as a complimentary player puts an absolute ceiling on this team.

-ErieHog on Devo Davis

sickboy

Well, tell it to Seton Hall. Their guys could have used some rest during the game because -- for some strange reason -- we had more gas in the tank at the end of the game than Seton Hall. Weird how that works.

synthartist69

Well, you do have a point. I did notice that when Beard went in he made several mistakes which hurt.

Scott7703

Quote from: bhogs05 on March 17, 2017, 08:57:33 pm
I'm fine with the substitutions as long as a certain guard doesn't play..I do think we could shorten the lengths of substitutions especially if the subs start losing the lead like they did today.  Plus some of the lineups we have when we sub just can't get any offense going. 

Agree with this. It's time to shrink the rotation down to about 7 guys unless foul trouble forces otherwise.

WorfHog

You should become a coach see how well you can do at recruiting and coaching a NCAA tourney team. Give it a shot.

rwspear

Quote from: Rock City Razorback on March 17, 2017, 08:28:45 pm
It does have validity in that when certain lineups are out there, the points for/against margin is vastly different...

so why dont we just play our best 5 the entire game?

HouSwine

Quote from: sickboy on March 17, 2017, 09:09:41 pm
Well, tell it to Seton Hall. Their guys could have used some rest during the game because -- for some strange reason -- we had more gas in the tank at the end of the game than Seton Hall. Weird how that works.

Yep. Weird. Almost as if it were planned that way.

MissippHog

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on March 17, 2017, 08:07:17 pm

Quote from: ricepig on March 17, 2017, 08:10:51 pm
Of the first order.....

Carl Lazlo

Beard does come up with the occasional steal.  But he's guilty of turning it over..

sowmonella

Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

jesterzzn

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on March 17, 2017, 07:31:54 pm
The deficit allowed Seton Hall to play a slow down half court game and we had fallen right into their trap.

Do you think a hunter that shoots a dear and then tracks it until it dies from blood loss fell into the dear's trap just because after he shot the dear it was able to run away for a few minutes?

Mike Anderson laid the trap, not the other way around.  They expended all their energy and by the 8 minute mark they had no legs.  Yes they had a lead, but that was the trap.  It worked.

The goal is to be ahead at the end.

azhog10

There's so much fail in this post.

azhog10

Quote from: Carl Lazlo on March 17, 2017, 09:48:02 pm
Beard does come up with the occasional steal.  But he's guilty of turning it over..
We had 10 total turnovers as a team. Beard had two. Hardly a game filled with turnovers.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: BrooklynRoss on March 17, 2017, 09:02:53 pm
'Now I know what the people who disagree with me are going to say, "Our boys need rest".' (and one line later) 'Also, to those who cry, "Our boys need rest"'

I'm a writer and I despise editors. However, you, sir, need an editor.
Are you up for the job ?  I realized that I put "our boys need rest" in the post twice and I did so to emphasize a point ? Am I a writer ? No, I never claimed to be. If you are a writer, I suggest you begin writing a short story, a column, a novel or whatever type of writing you do because critiquing posts in a forum such as this seems to be a huge waste of time. By the way, one hopes you are not writing for a newspaper because that dinosaur is on it's last leg. Also, if you are a writer good luck on making a nice living for yourself. And one more thing, if your craft is writing, I, unless you are a trust fund baby, can likely buy and sell you out of my front pocket. So please go find another set of gonads in which to bury yourself.

I can take people who have differing opinions, even those who vehemently disagree. You don't fall within that group.

Stewhog 11

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on March 17, 2017, 11:32:08 pm
Are you up for the job ?  I realized that I put "our boys need rest" in the post twice and I did so to emphasize a point ? Am I a writer ? No, I never claimed to be. If you are a writer, I suggest you begin writing a short story, a column, a novel or whatever type of writing you do because critiquing posts in a forum such as this seems to be a huge waste of time. By the way, one hopes you are not writing for a newspaper because that dinosaur is on it's last leg. Also, if you are a writer good luck on making a nice living for yourself. And one more thing, if your craft is writing, I, unless you are a trust fund baby, can likely buy and sell you out of my front pocket. So please go find another set of gonads in which to bury yourself.

I can take people who have differing opinions, even those who vehemently disagree. You don't fall within that group.

go to bed

BrooklynRoss

March 18, 2017, 12:11:02 am #39 Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 12:51:00 am by BrooklynRoss
Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on March 17, 2017, 11:32:08 pm

You can buy and sell me? Perfect. I am 100% down with selling my company to you. That's actually a great idea. I'm more or less retired, anyway, and would love to dump my assets. Let's talk.

niels_boar

Our coach managed the game with the goal of having the lead at the end of the game instead of the 8-minute mark.  It was a 70-possession game in which four players were given 30+ minutes.  He could have played them 40 minutes, but they probably would have been exhausted and in foul trouble at crunch time.  That's exactly what happened to Seton Hall.
The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: Stewhog 11 on March 18, 2017, 12:07:37 am
go to bed
run away from home..it will increase the weekly allowance from your parents

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: niels_boar on March 18, 2017, 12:18:08 am
Our coach managed the game with the goal of having the lead at the end of the game instead of the 8-minute mark.  It was a 70-possession game in which four players were given 30+ minutes.  He could have played them 40 minutes, but they probably would have been exhausted and in foul trouble at crunch time.  That's exactly what happened to Seton Hall.
Are you seriously trying to convince me that it was in the game plan to take a 5 point lead, sub-in players for 5 minutes while the other team goes on a 12-1 run and force a come back the last 6 minutes. Our coach realizing the game would end on a walk called on the opposition followed two plays later by a flagrant 1 foul to seal the win ? Wowser !  I wanna take you to the race track with me, fella.

BrooklynRoss

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on March 18, 2017, 12:44:06 am
Are you seriously trying to convince me that it was in the game plan to take a 5 point lead, sub-in players for 5 minutes while the other team goes on a 12-1 run and force a come back the last 6 minutes. Our coach realizing the game would end on a walk called on the opposition followed two plays later by a flagrant 1 foul to seal the win ? Wowser !  I wanna take you to the race track with me, fella.

It actually wouldn't benefit you to take him to the race track because (as you pointed out, yourself) he was being sarcastic.

Cinco de Hogo

All I can add to this thread is the observation that if Coach employs the same strategy against UNC it's probably going to end badly.  However the fact that he did do it in this game may help the starters last longer in the next game.  Do t think it would have mattered to me when I was twenty.

Rawker

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on March 18, 2017, 01:10:21 am
All I can add to this thread is the observation that if Coach employs the same strategy against UNC it's probably going to end badly.  However the fact that he did do it in this game may help the starters last longer in the next game.  Do t think it would have mattered to me when I was twenty.

It would have. I don't think some here understand the strength and speed it takes to keep up with top flite D1 talent.

We have outscored our opponents by nearly 200 points in the second half of our games this season. Why do you guys think that is?

1969 has valid points that are justified.  Mike Anderson has some talent in jerking defeat from the jaws of victory.  However, this team has covered the basic bucket list for this season and I believe, Mike Anderson has been the HC through it all. 

I am not Mr. Anderson's biggest fan, FCJ wouldn't allow that.  But we are where we hoped to be at this point in the season and I feel blessed for that.  Lets see how we stack up against a top 5 team on Sunday.

Dr. Starcs

Quote from: jesterzzn on March 17, 2017, 09:58:48 pm
Do you think a hunter that shoots a dear and then tracks it until it dies from blood loss fell into the dear's trap just because after he shot the dear it was able to run away for a few minutes?

Mike Anderson laid the trap, not the other way around.  They expended all their energy and by the 8 minute mark they had no legs.  Yes they had a lead, but that was the trap.  It worked.

The goal is to be ahead at the end.

Oh deer.

lynbug

Quote from: 12247 on March 18, 2017, 05:50:33 am
1969 has valid points that are justified.  Mike Anderson has some talent in jerking defeat from the jaws of victory.  However, this team has covered the basic bucket list for this season and I believe, Mike Anderson has been the HC through it all. 

I am not Mr. Anderson's biggest fan, FCJ wouldn't allow that.  But we are where we hoped to be at this point in the season and I feel blessed for that.  Lets see how we stack up against a top 5 team on Sunday.
My only problem is that when the second team (of Mikes choice)....Beard, Macon, Thompson, Cook, and one of the original five come in.....we better hope that Macon is on (which he wasn't yesterday), Thompson is fully alert, Cook has taken a chill pill and, last but not least, Beard doesn't do too much driving to the basket.  If all those things are going on....we will lose a small lead.  Sometimes I question the player rotations.