Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

UNC is going to be tough

Started by Ironhawg, March 17, 2017, 05:01:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Ironhawg

They are just a horrible match up for the Hogs.  They are big, athletic, rebound well, shoot the ball well and they like to run.  Unfortunately Texas Southern isn't putting up much of a fight, so their starters are going to be well rested. 
We have to shoot the ball well, hit the defensive glass better than we have all season and eliminate the unforced errors to have a chance.

ShadowHawg

There have been much bigger upsets in tournament history than if we manage a victory on Sunday.

pigture perfect

If we don't beat the heel's on Sunday, I hope they win it all. That would mean that they knocked off uk to get there.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Hootiethehog

It doesn't look good for the Hogs and I have UNC winning more games  (until their loss to UCLA). I am tied for first in my family's bracket challenge, but I would gladly finish last for an arkansas win on Sunday.
Please note that my screen name is not an endorsement of any former coach at the University of Arkansas, nor does it mean I am in cahoots with the group that produces a yearly high school football magazine.
It is simply an old nickname I picked up 20 years ago with "thehog" added on to it.

longtimeHogfan

We're going to need more than 7 bench points to have a shot at the upset. 
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

BoarnSupremacy

Its an L.  We got a hard regional.  Just glad we won first game.

alohawg

They have no weaknesses, while the hogs have plenty. I say the only shot is a fat envelope to the caterer of the Tarheels Saturday night dinner.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

BrooklynRoss

We got this in the bag. There's a number of different scenarios that tip the scales of victory in our favor. Example: Think ... Food Poisoning: Let's just say that the guy working the omelet station at NC's hotel owes me a favor.
I support the Razorbacks in the city that never sleeps.

PossumFan

regi

Carolina is good, but not great, if you put together a list of all time great Carolina teams, this one would not be  on the list, But, they do have great history, so no shame in that. They do like to run and get up and down the court, we are cool with that, They are also not a great defensive team. They should probably win, but there have been much bigger upsets, than if we were to beat them.

sickboy

We got a tough draw. If we were in the west, I could see us making a run to the elite 8.

All things considered, I think Arkansas is a sweet sixteen caliber team. Had we won a couple games we shouldn't have lost earlier in the year... and say put us at the 4-6 seed range... we could easily be a sweet sixteen team this year. We have the talent.

alohawg

Quote from: regi on March 17, 2017, 07:04:58 pm
Carolina is good, but not great, if you put together a list of all time great Carolina teams, this one would not be  on the list, But, they do have great history, so no shame in that. They do like to run and get up and down the court, we are cool with that, They are also not a great defensive team. They should probably win, but there have been much bigger upsets, than if we were to beat them.

You should post more......as a distraction. <<<
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

BoarnSupremacy

We wont beat NC.  That's a fact.

sickboy

Hoggish1

daprospecta

We have played UNC twice the last ten years and this will be the third.  This is the first time I think they are beatable. 

Hootiethehog

Quote from: Hoggish1 on March 17, 2017, 07:25:35 pm
BOOK THIS:

Hogs79 Heels 78

I like the way you think and I wish I could mold my optimism enough to get to that point
Please note that my screen name is not an endorsement of any former coach at the University of Arkansas, nor does it mean I am in cahoots with the group that produces a yearly high school football magazine.
It is simply an old nickname I picked up 20 years ago with "thehog" added on to it.

PonderinHog

Hawg Red

For me and my expectations for this year, they are playing with house money. I called for 23 regular season wins. Done. Made it back the finals of the SEC tournament. Awesome. Advanced in the NCAA tournament. Another check mark. I'm just throwing it up to chance now and hoping we play super hot and they play a bad game. That's our best shot right now. It happens. Mike has pulled this upset off before, too. Don't forget that. I'm proud of them either way. The team and coaches really showed me that this thing is headed in the right direction down the stretch this season. They've already satisfied this Hog fan for the season.

JIHawg

Nolan used to beat Dean Smith.  I don't think Mike has beat Roy.

PonderinHog

Sometimes teams just play out of their heads.  Upsets happen all the time.

bhogs05

Bad thing is they are better at going uptempo than we are..just like the last time we played them.  Plus they are super long and athletic..will take a great game by is to win. But anything is possible.

rude1

Agree that this is a terrible match up for us. Athletic team that is skilled and wants to push tempo too. Might be in our best interest to swallow our pride and try and play a bit slower in this one or it can get away quickly from us IMO.

40MINSOFHELL

Just imagine how many hog fans will show up in Memphis if we win Sunday.

passinghog

Quote from: 40MINSOFHELL on March 17, 2017, 07:46:54 pm
Just imagine how many hog fans will show up in Memphis if we win Sunday.

If we can win Sunday, hog fans will carry this team to the E8...

threeNout

If we shoot like we did today (minus MK)  we'll get blown out.

But if everyone shoots like MK did today, we'll have a chance.

Hannahs, Macon, Barford, two of those three have will to have excellent games shooting the ball, maybe all 3.

Missed too many FTs and open looks today, we'll have to be unconscious Sunday.

woodhog14

Quote from: daprospecta on March 17, 2017, 07:27:05 pm
We have played UNC twice the last ten years and this will be the third.  This is the first time I think they are beatable. 

They were more beatable in 2015 than this year. They were 4 seed and we were a 5. We had the lead for a majority of that game and let it slip away mid to late 2nd half when we went something like 7:00 minutes without scoring.

huck

Quote from: JIHawg on March 17, 2017, 07:36:08 pm
Nolan used to beat Dean Smith.  I don't think Mike has beat Roy, we don't want them again.
Well, its time to beat Roy. 

I enjoyed watching your game today, the call was correct.  SEC

jgphillips3

We will lose this game 9 out of 10 times.  In the NCAA though, all you need is that one.  This team achieved what I hoped for by getting to the NCAA and winning a game.  Everything else (for this year) is gravy.

Hogz87

Quote from: alohawg on March 17, 2017, 06:52:31 pm
They have no weaknesses, while the hogs have plenty. I say the only shot is a fat envelope to the caterer of the Tarheels Saturday night dinner.
If they have one weakness it's that they are prone to bad 3P shooting games.  They really have only two 3P shooters in Berry and Jackson (both are very good 3P shooters with deep range and don't need a lot of space) and occasionally, although rarely, both are cold in the same game.  They have other capable 3P shooters who, once every 7-10 games, hit a couple of threes in Pinson and Britt.  Unfortunately, they are so lethal on the boards and their bigs are so good, even if they are cold from three they can still overcome it most of the time and hang tough with good teams or still beat teams below them. 

Justin Jackson emerging as a 3P threat this year has really helped them sustain the blow of losing Brice Johnson and Marcus Paige off of last year's team.  Last year Jackson shot something like 28% or 29% from three but improved to 40%-ish this year.

Our best hope is that neither Jackson or Berry are on from three and we can get one or both of Meeks and Hicks in foul trouble.  Even if all of those things happen, we still probably need two of Hannahs, Barford, and Macon to be "on" and Kingsley to play like he did today.

Little Lady Back

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 17, 2017, 07:34:17 pm
For me and my expectations for this year, they are playing with house money. I called for 23 regular season wins. Done. Made it back the finals of the SEC tournament. Awesome. Advanced in the NCAA tournament. Another check mark. I'm just throwing it up to chance now and hoping we play super hot and they play a bad game. That's our best shot right now. It happens. Mike has pulled this upset off before, too. Don't forget that. I'm proud of them either way. The team and coaches really showed me that this thing is headed in the right direction down the stretch this season. They've already satisfied this Hog fan for the season.

This guy gets it!! Good post.
#NolanRichardsonCourt

Hogz87

Quote from: regi on March 17, 2017, 07:04:58 pm
This isn't a vintage all-time great UNC team. Last year's team was probably a little better than this year's team.  They had better teams earlier in the Roy Williams era (2005, 2007, 2008, and 2009), and that 2012 team that had four 1st rounders on it was better.  But, relative to the field/competition, this UNC absolutely is one of the 3-5 best teams in the country this year and arguably the best. They don't have to be "all-time great" good to still be considerably better than us and most other teams in the country. But in their own region both Kentucky and UCLA are capable of beating them.  UNC has to play only one of them, though, and the top half of the South region is very favorable for them. 

Locutus_of_Boar

Quote from: Ironhawg on March 17, 2017, 05:01:51 pm
They are just a horrible match up for the Hogs. 

Most national contenders are going to be bad matchups for Arkansas.  Makes no difference.  Arkansas basketball remains an interesting curiosity but irrelevant on the national scene until they prove they can beat a favored national contender in a meaningful situation and not get pounded by 20 points the way these things usually go.

They had that chance a week ago and performed exactly as we have come to expect.  Sunday will be third consecutive time Arkansas has faced North Carolina in the round of 32 and more importantly the 21st anniversary of the last time Arkansas delivered in this spot and won a second round game and earned a Sweet 16 berth.

After two decades it would be nice to see Arkansas Basketball actually deliver a pleasant surprise for once.

HogBreath

Quote from: BoarnSupremacy on March 17, 2017, 07:19:51 pm
We wont beat NC.  That's a fact.
You're kinda confused on the difference between your opinion and facts.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

orvillesghost

I would love to beat them..but if we can make it a competitive game *within 10 or less* all the way down to the end and play well, I will feel that Arkansas basketball has made a step forward this year and is trending in the right direction.

If we get stomped, its still a good season on the whole but at some point you have to start winning or being competitive in these type of games.

elksnort

Quote from: ShadowHawg on March 17, 2017, 05:09:04 pm
There have been much bigger upsets in tournament history than if we manage a victory on Sunday.
I'm trying to remember the last Arkansas victory that would have been that big of an upset. Especially in the NCAAt

Locutus_of_Boar

Quote from: elksnort on March 17, 2017, 09:31:48 pm
I'm trying to remember the last Arkansas victory that would have been that big of an upset. Especially in the NCAAt

Arkansas all time NCAAT upsets.  Since the beginning of seeding Arkansas is 6-14 when an underdog in the NCAAT.

1978 Arkansas 74 UCLA 70 Teams not seeded but clearly an upset and maybe the greatest upset.

1981 #5 Arkansas 73 #4 Louisville 72 - U.S. Reed's famous shot
1985 #9 Arkansas 63 #8 Iowa 54 Sutton's final win at Arkansas
1995 #2 Arkansas 75 #2 North Carolina 68 - Final Four in Seattle and last of 11 straight NCAAT wins
1996 #12 Arkansas 86 #5 Penn St 80
1996 #12 Arkansas 65 #4 Marquette 56 - Arkansas' final Sweet 16 berth
2008 #9 Arkansas 86 #8 Indiana 72 - Only upset of the 21st Century.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arkansas_Razorbacks_men%27s_basketball

pigture perfect

If we get into a close game at the end, we may have a chance. I think we shoot the free throws better. But I'm afraid it's gonna be ugly early.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Hogz87

I need a history lesson.  I was only 8 in 1996.  How did a name-brand school from the SEC, coming off a national title and a national runner-up season the previous two years, get a 12-seed.  I looked up our record that year (20-13) and did a little bit more research.  I knew Bradley and Kareem were freshmen that and that we lost a lot from the '94 and '95 teams.

Were we a bit underseeded?  Did we just get favorable matchups?  Did we play up to our ability at the right time?

ChicoHog

Penn st was definitely over seeded.  Marquette about right.  If I remember right we lost to UMass with Marcus Camby and Coach Calipari in the Sweet 16.   We lost a lot from the previous couple of years and took a while to gel.  Wasn't long after that year that Richardson stopped recruiting, got a bigger chip on his shoulder and we went downhill quick and a couple years later we were a pretty mediocre program. 

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Locutus_of_Boar on March 17, 2017, 08:31:44 pm
Most national contenders are going to be bad matchups for Arkansas.  Makes no difference.  Arkansas basketball remains an interesting curiosity but irrelevant on the national scene until they prove they can beat a favored national contender in a meaningful situation and not get pounded by 20 points the way these things usually go.

They had that chance a week ago and performed exactly as we have come to expect.  Sunday will be third consecutive time Arkansas has faced North Carolina in the round of 32 and more importantly the 21st anniversary of the last time Arkansas delivered in this spot and won a second round game and earned a Sweet 16 berth.

After two decades it would be nice to see Arkansas Basketball actually deliver a pleasant surprise for once.

I seem to recall sweeping a home and home series from a title game participant in the recent past.

Locutus_of_Boar

Quote from: Hogz87 on March 17, 2017, 10:31:46 pm
I need a history lesson.  I was only 8 in 1996.  How did a name-brand school from the SEC, coming off a national title and a national runner-up season the previous two years, get a 12-seed.  I looked up our record that year (20-13) and did a little bit more research.  I knew Bradley and Kareem were freshmen that and that we lost a lot from the '94 and '95 teams.

Were we a bit underseeded?  Did we just get favorable matchups?  Did we play up to our ability at the right time?

After coming up short against UCLA in Seattle Arkansas Basketball was never again what it had been for the two decades before.  In 1996, no Beck, no Corliss, no Scotty, no McDaniel, and an ongoing NCAA investigation, Nolan somewhat burned out and UK returning to SEC dominance and it all collapsed like a house of cards.  Luck of the draw gave them an overrated PSU and Marquette in the early rounds to make everyone think it was temporary but it just set up the hammering by UMass and that was the end of Arkansas as a factor in the NCAAT.

jesterzzn

North Carolina is the second best team in the region, and I'm not talking about Kentucky.  Having said that, we don't match up well at all.  We have to make the game physical (muddy the paint), and they have to miss most of the open outside shots they are probably going to get at will.

We can win.  No doubt in my mind.  This NC team is not a juggernaut, but they are more talented than us and just as deep.

I picked us in my bracket.  I hope I get to gloat come Sunday night.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: elksnort on March 17, 2017, 09:31:48 pm

The only ncaa tournament wins under Nolan would be Penn State and Marquette the last time we made the sweet 16. But the biggest ever was beating UCLA in 78.

Then there was the SEC tournament championship where we beat UK?, LSU, and Auburn.

Regular season would be North Carolina and Arizona on the road without Corliss.

I do think that is total [CENSORED] baggery to try and claim that until we beat the blue bloods we are irrelevant in the eyes of the haters here. As a program, we only own a handful of wins over teams like that in our entire history. Sutton only had 2 wins like that. The rest of the he got handed by the big boys. No shot clock allowed the score to remain closer than the games actually were. A 6 point lead was a big deal back then.

jesterzzn

Quote from: ChicoHog on March 17, 2017, 10:40:16 pm
Penn st was definitely over seeded.  Marquette about right.  If I remember right we lost to UMass with Marcus Camby and Coach Calipari in the Sweet 16.   We lost a lot from the previous couple of years and took a while to gel.  Wasn't long after that year that Richardson stopped recruiting, got a bigger chip on his shoulder and we went downhill quick and a couple years later we were a pretty mediocre program. 

We didn't lose.  UMASS vacated that victory.

Locutus_of_Boar

Quote from: ShadowHawg on March 17, 2017, 10:45:05 pm
I seem to recall sweeping a home and home series from a title game participant in the recent past.

An isolated upset win playing in BWA where none of the wins should ever be upsets to begin with is not meaningful.

The SEC Championship game is meaningful. 

A berth in the Sweet 16/Elite 8/Final Four is meaningful.  If nothing else a banner without dust hanging in the rafters would be notable. 

Putting any hardware in a trophy case that has not been unlocked for decades is meaningful.

Winning a game where the winning builds to something measurable is meaningful.  Todays win means nothing now.  It might mean something come Sunday.

No more participation trophies.

jesterzzn

Quote from: Locutus_of_Boar on March 17, 2017, 11:02:54 pm
An isolated upset win playing in BWA where none of the wins should ever be upsets to begin with is not meaningful.

Dude, go to bed.  You look like an idiot.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Locutus_of_Boar on March 17, 2017, 11:02:54 pm

The SEC Championship game is meaningful. 

A berth in the Sweet 16/Elite 8/Final Four is meaningful.  If nothing else a banner without dust hanging in the rafters would be notable. 

Putting any hardware in a trophy case that has not been unlocked for decades is meaningful.

Winning a game where the winning builds to something measurable is meaningful.  Todays win means nothing now.  It might mean something come Sunday.

No more participation trophies.

You don't understand home and home. It means each team got a home game.

I'll say this in a way even you can understand. We beat Kentucky at both our place and Rupp.

Does your mom know you are still up and playing on her computer?

GoHogs1091

Yep, they are going to be tough.  They are actually better than their 2015 team that we lost to.

Based on what I have seen so far, this is really only a 4 team tournament, with the following being only the high-level teams.

North Carolina
Oregon (despite the injury to a key player)
Gonzaga
Villanova

Huge gap between the above 4, and the rest of a rather average group of mediocre teams.

Hogz87

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on March 17, 2017, 11:17:10 pm
Yep, they are going to be tough.  They are actually better than their 2015 team that we lost to.

Based on what I have seen so far, this is really only a 4 team tournament, with the following being only the high-level teams.

North Carolina
Oregon (despite the injury to a key player)
Gonzaga
Villanova

Huge gap between the above 4, and the rest of a rather average group of mediocre teams.
Kansas, Duke, Kentucky, and UCLA are not "mediocre" teams.  They belong in that group you listed.  The four you listed and the four I listed are the only ones I can see winning it all this year.