Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Thought Vanderbilt was smart

Started by ShadowHawg, March 16, 2017, 05:41:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ShadowHawg

azhog10

I'm lip reading but I think I saw him say "I'm stupid!"

BannerMountainMan

"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

CDBHawg

The last 15 seconds

Vandy goes up 1.

Vandy fouls on purpose.

Vandy down 1.

Vandy shoots and misses 30 foot 3.

Vandy fouls.

Vandy goes down 2.

Vandy inbounds the ball 15 feet with 1.4 seconds left.

Letsroll1200

That was one of the worse plays. That's like the Reggie Fish fumble in the SEC championship game. Never forget

ShadowHawg

Somewhere Chris Webber is breathing a sigh of relief. He is no longer the biggest bonehead in tournament history.

bulldog04

The question is how did he get into Vanderbilt?

hoggusamoungus

Quote from: ShadowHawg on March 16, 2017, 05:55:01 pm
Somewhere Chris Webber is breathing a sigh of relief. He is no longer the biggest bonehead in tournament history.

Webber was tied with Freddie Brown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-suuy_tgOjo

daBoar

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on March 16, 2017, 05:46:32 pm
That was one of the worse plays. That's like the Reggie Fish fumble in the SEC championship game. Never forget
NM

sickboy

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on March 16, 2017, 05:46:32 pm

I still think Fisher-Davis made the more boneheaded play. Someone compared it to the Chris Webber gaffe with the TO. I think it's worse than that.

Think about it...

Both Weber and Reggie Fish were in the heat of highly tense plays. Fielding a punt is already high stakes. You see guys make the mistake trying to catch the ball inside the ten all the time because it's a split second decision the player has to make. Similarly, Weber is literally falling out of bounds and in the heat of the moment does what his instincts tell him to do and that's call a timeout. Turns out, they just didn't have one.

Fisher-Davis on the other hand was totally different. His team literally just made a basket to take the lead. All the pressure is on Northwestern. His muscle memory is telling him to get back on defense. So he literally has to fight through his muscle memory, slowly I might add, because he's jogging behind the PG for a good 20 feet before he actually decides to foul him from behind... when he can literally see his guys getting back on defense.

There are so many reasons why Fisher-Davis made the biggest mistake I've ever seen. Watching your guy hit the shot. Then hearing your fans cheering like crazy. Then seeing your coach waving your guys back on defense. You look at your coach and ignore that your guys aren't pressing, they're getting back into position to play half court defense... to make a foul from behind on the PG?! I mean -- I just -- I can't even...

upperdeck_hawg

waiting til the last second when down by 1 is also an awful play. you take a shot as early as you can and have a chance for a rebound if the shot is missed and then if no rebound, you can foul and have another shot at a three point play. that was poor coaching right there.
I don't hate the guy.  He's a great Hog, and a needed contributor.  I despise that he does not understand his role as a complimentary player puts an absolute ceiling on this team.

-ErieHog on Devo Davis

Bogghawg

I hate it so much for the kid's sake.  There's no explanation and no excuse, except no one who is not in that intense position of pressure can really know what it's like.  I just wish more people would also point out that without Fisher-Davis' second half play Vandy would have been about 10 behind at that point.
Never Attempt To Teach a Pig To Sing; It Wastes Your Time and Annoys the Pig

panhandlepig

Quote from: Bogghawg on March 16, 2017, 07:45:06 pm
I hate it so much for the kid's sake.  There's no explanation and no excuse, except no one who is not in that intense position of pressure can really know what it's like.  I just wish more people would also point out that without Fisher-Davis' second half play Vandy would have been about 10 behind at that point.

I was thinking the same thing when it happened.  I felt so bad for that kid. I think Vandy was exhausted.   
  They played their hearts out all season. I enjoyed watching them play except when they were beating us. 

Ex-Trumpet

I'm 9/10 at this point...thanks a lot, Vandy!!
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

apcapri

Glad they found a way to blow it. Should have never been in the tournament to start with. 15 loses  is too many. Idc who you beat...you lost...a lot.

hawgmasta

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on March 16, 2017, 08:32:21 pm
I'm 9/10 at this point...thanks a lot, Vandy!!

Ditto. Was perfect until vandy blew it.

hogwood

It wasn't just the last two plays by Vandy. The whole last 7 minutes or so was really frustrating to watch. Really bad playmaking and shot selection.

niels_boar

Drew perhaps should have considered getting somebody besides LaChance on McIntosh.
The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time.

Ex-Trumpet

Stupid Vandy....I hit 15/16 today.  I friggin picked friggin Vandy!!!
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: apcapri on March 16, 2017, 08:39:49 pm
Glad they found a way to blow it. Should have never been in the tournament to start with. 15 loses  is too many. Idc who you beat...you lost...a lot.
Ditto.
Really at a loss how a 15-loss team can not only get it...but be a 9-seed!  I get strength of schedule and all that, but at some point wins have to count for something, and losses have to be meaningful. And you had 15 of them.
I'm not sure the committee did such a great job this year.
S Car getting a 7-seed and Arkansas an 8-seed is another. It tells me a lot of this work was done weeks ago.

sickboy

Quote from: Bogghawg on March 16, 2017, 07:45:06 pm

I feel terrible for the kid. He's laying in some bed right now somewhere blaming himself for that loss, playing that play over in his head a million times. And you're exactly right -- the truth is that he had a helluvah game and Vandy would have been lost without him today.

BannerMountainMan

Hope they don't burn his truck like Arky fans
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

Pigasaurus

Vanderbilt is being punished for 3 reasons.
1.C. Vanderbilt's excessive wealth.
2. The player being male and having a hyphenated last name.
3. Richard Pitinos bald spot. I know he's the coach of Minnesota but I still think it's valid.
"If I wanted you to know what I was thinking, I would be talking."  Al Bundy

LZH

Everyone knows that dumb teams win games in the NCAAT....

HogFoo

Lots of players who've made bad plays probably let out a sigh of relief as to also welcome another to the club.  I think back to the 1995 tourney game our hogs had against Syracuse when it looked like 'Cuse was about to win (up 1 pt on the the hogs) and then on a ball that could have been a tie up call with 6seconds ,  Lawrence Moten calls a timeout that Cuse' doesn't have.  Thurman goes to the FT to shoot 2 technical fouls to give us the lead, he makes 1 and we go to overtime where we end up winning the game.   Anyways.... that is a call I was very happy to be on the winning side of and very thankful for 'smart guys'  haha
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

Biggus Piggus

Fisher-Davis's mistake didn't have to be fatal. Had he not fouled, NU could have run down the clock for the last shot. Vandy got the ball back with plenty of time to win. The shot they got was poor. Stand around till you jack one. That ensured failure.
[CENSORED]!

southeasthog

Chris Webber didn't make a boneheaded play. He threw that game. He tried to travel and when they didn't call it he called the TO they didn't have. His relationship with Ed Martin and his illegal gambling operation is documented.
Quote from: 1990sHogBallChild on March 04, 2023, 04:08:32 pmWe have peaked... lucked his way to two elite 8s by getting the most favorable draws in tourney history. Beat the most over-rated 1 seed in the history of college basketball in Gonzaga who would be a 6 seed if they played in a real conference. Then Muss's other 5 tourney wins are against an average of a 12 seed. A few dozen coaches could have done that. Two losing records in SEC play is as much as MA had in 8 years.

Hawg Red

I honestly felt bad for the kid because the gravity of the mistake he made was enormous. It was stunning to see such poor game awareness in such a critical moment.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on March 17, 2017, 06:43:46 am
Fisher-Davis's mistake didn't have to be fatal. Had he not fouled, NU could have run down the clock for the last shot. Vandy got the ball back with plenty of time to win. The shot they got was poor. Stand around till you jack one. That ensured failure.

I honestly couldn't believe that. He had just driven to the hoop the possession before and scored. But instead shoots a contested long range three this time? Dumb.

hog golf

Quote from: HogFoo on March 17, 2017, 06:15:51 am
Lots of players who've made bad plays probably let out a sigh of relief as to also welcome another to the club.  I think back to the 1995 tourney game our hogs had against Syracuse when it looked like 'Cuse was about to win (up 1 pt on the the hogs) and then on a ball that could have been a tie up call with 6seconds ,  Lawrence Moten calls a timeout that Cuse' doesn't have.  Thurman goes to the FT to shoot 2 technical fouls to give us the lead, he makes 1 and we go to overtime where we end up winning the game.   Anyways.... that is a call I was very happy to be on the winning side of and very thankful for 'smart guys'  haha
I still holler to this day- better get a TO Moten
I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: hog golf on March 17, 2017, 07:48:17 am
I still holler to this day- better get a TO Moten

If I recall, that was the game that Corliss, Scottie and all our stars had really off games and Lee Wilson - yes, Lee Wilson - saved us with a career game.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

3kgthog

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on March 17, 2017, 12:11:16 am
Hope they don't burn his truck like Arky fans

Are you a troll from California? Seriously. Arky?

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Sow Lancelot

This for sure. Their Ivy League smarts departed in the final seconds of that one.
"Nec vitia nostra nec remedium tolerare possumus." Livy
Nihil boni sine labore, sic vis pacem, para bellum.

ShadowHawg

No kidding. It seems to be an epidemic in college basketball. I have seen several games where a 2 wins it but they never even try to penetrate the 3pt line and jack up a contested 30 footer and lose.

hogcard1964

^^^^^^^^^^^  this

HogFoo

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on March 17, 2017, 07:51:10 am
If I recall, that was the game that Corliss, Scottie and all our stars had really off games and Lee Wilson - yes, Lee Wilson - saved us with a career game.
All the Hog players were fouling out.  Corliss fouled out with about 4 or 5mins left.  Scotty scored I think it was 27points.  McDaniel fouled out.  And yes, Lee Wilson, played what we later found out to be his best game of his entire career.  He scored 18pts!  I think scotty fouled out in overtime.  But, everyone else did well.  We ended up hitting every single shot in overtime.  And even then, Cuse' had a shot to hit a 3 at the buzzer in overtime to win it, which they nearly did.    It rimmed off. And I'm thankful it did.
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: HogFoo on March 17, 2017, 11:16:23 am
All the Hog players were fouling out.  Corliss fouled out with about 4 or 5mins left.  Scotty scored I think it was 27points.  McDaniel fouled out.  And yes, Lee Wilson, played what we later found out to be his best game of his entire career.  He scored 18pts!  I think scotty fouled out in overtime.  But, everyone else did well.  We ended up hitting every single shot in overtime.  And even then, Cuse' had a shot to hit a 3 at the buzzer in overtime to win it, which they nearly did.    It rimmed off. And I'm thankful it did.

I know I'm in the minority, but I always liked Wilson better than Robinson when they were both freshmen and sophs.  Robinson had so much more hype and probably talent too, but Wilson seemed to play harder and smarter.  (Can't really say that about his last two years though..)
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: HogFoo on March 17, 2017, 06:15:51 am

The worst mistake I ever saw by the Hogs was when they were so late coming out of a timeout the Ref laid the ball down and started the 5 second count. The Hogs scrambled but didn't get it inbounded in time. That one however has to go against the coach and not any player.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 17, 2017, 11:36:37 am
The worst mistake I ever saw by the Hogs was when they were so late coming out of a timeout the Ref laid the ball down and started the 5 second count. The Hogs scrambled but didn't get it inbounded in time. That one however has to go against the coach and not any player.
That was the 1997 SECT in Memphis. The ref was Andre Patillo.
It was one of those calls that is technically correct, but is hardly ever enforced. Usually the ref will just check if everyone is ready to go, and then start play. For whatever reason, Patillio went a different route there.