Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Indiana fires Tom Crean

Started by The_Iceman, March 16, 2017, 11:29:54 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Biggus Piggus

Indiana won 20+ games in nine of its 17 seasons post-Bobby Knight. Lost 10+ games in 13 of those seasons.

You have to note - to be fair - that Kelvin Sampson was fired in the middle of the 2007-08 season, when the Hoosiers were looking strong. Sampson was fired for major recruiting violations.

That decimated the program that Tom Crean inherited. The only holdovers Crean had on his first IU roster were two walk-ons.

Anyway...

Arkansas won 20+ games in six of its 15 seasons post-Nolan Richardson. Lost 10+ games in all but two of those seasons, and it'll be all but one unless the Razorbacks win the national championship this season.

[CENSORED]!

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: sickboy on March 16, 2017, 12:59:52 pm
Hiring coaches isn't a science. And everyone and their mother was excited about Jimmy Dykes being hired. I get why he makes that hire. It's a high profile guy from ESPN who's got ties to the university. It just didn't work out.

That is a gross exaggeration. The hire of Dykes was roundly panned in the women's college basketball world. The only place it was praised was among a small set of oblivious fans.
[CENSORED]!

forrest city joe

Quote from: hogsanity on March 16, 2017, 11:45:06 am
sweet 16 once every 3 years, on average, and he gets fired. Making the ncaat once every 3 years brings cries for a raise and extension for others. Think we see which school & fans prioritize a high level of success.
Do you ever the hell stop? why in the hell do the mods let you turn every thread into a why is Mike Anderson not got fired yet thread? it's gotten old.yet they let you post this crap in every thread over and over and over.GOOD GRIEF.ENOUGH!

sickboy

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on March 16, 2017, 01:05:13 pm
That is a gross exaggeration. The hire of Dykes was roundly panned in the women's college basketball world. The only place it was praised was among a small set of oblivious fans.

No, you're totally right. The "everyone and their mother" I was describing is the "small set of oblivious fans" you describe. Those are the women's basketball  fans here on hogville. Nobody here pays attention to women's basketball other than checking the occasional score now and again and being excited because someone they've heard of before got hired to be the coach. Or their friend's daughter is on the team.

In that way -- the Dykes hiring/firing doesn't really matter at the end of the day.

bkjbearcat

Quote from: hogsanity on March 16, 2017, 12:21:31 pm
The question with Marshall is how long is he going to put up with having to win 30 games just to barely get into the ncaat as 10 seed.

Good point. If Marshall had that record in a power five conference, hell the Big East or American his team would be a one seed, two at the least. In the Missouri Valley he gets a 10.
B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S BEARCATS, BEARCATS GOOOOOOO BEARCATS!!!!!!!<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Football: 1998, 1999, 2009, 2013, 2015, 2016<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Mens Basketball: 2017, 2019, No.1 team in 2020,2021, 2022

The_Iceman

Quote from: HossHog on March 16, 2017, 12:45:48 pm
Brad Stevens is currently in second place in the East... so that's not happening

Plus, he is likely to have a Top 3 pick in the NBA draft next year. He can either use it or trade it to a rebuilding team like chicago for say Jimmy Butler.

Don't think Stevens is going anywhere.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on March 16, 2017, 01:05:13 pm

After his first season, he had Arkansas in the 2nd Round of the NCAA Tournament and was bringing in solid recruits.

Everything was looking good until the true nature of Jimmy Dykes started showing and his program unraveled.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: forrest city joe on March 16, 2017, 01:08:03 pm
Do you ever the hell stop? why in the hell do the mods let you turn every thread into a why is Mike Anderson not got fired yet thread? it's gotten old.yet they let you post this crap in every thread over and over and over.GOOD GRIEF.ENOUGH!

Maybe for the same reasons they let you turn every Anderson thread into confessing your love for him and stating he needs to be here for year upon years ........................That has gotten old as well.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

forrest city joe

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 16, 2017, 01:20:23 pm
Maybe for the same reasons they let you turn every Anderson thread into confessing your love for him and stating he needs to be here for year upon years ........................That has gotten old as well.
Do you see me in this thread expressing my love? this thread is about IU firing their coach. not about why we have not fired Mike yet. you haters may as well get over it.you lost.he is not getting fired.so shut the hell up about it.don't need to see his and your whining in every freaking thread.

LZH

The Jimmy Dykes hire was the most bizarre that I can remember in Razorback Sports. I don't know why Jimmy would want the job, or why JL would seriously consider him for the job. I like Jimmy a lot, by all accounts he is a nice guy. Just don't understand the entire situation.

PonderinHog

Quote from: LZH on March 16, 2017, 01:27:38 pm
The Jimmy Dykes hire was the most bizarre that I can remember in Razorback Sports. I don't know why Jimmy would want the job, or why JL would seriously consider him for the job. I like Jimmy a lot, by all accounts he is a nice guy. Just don't understand the entire situation.
Sometimes gimmicks work.

Sometimes they don't.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: forrest city joe on March 16, 2017, 01:24:26 pm
Do you see me in this thread expressing my love? this thread is about IU firing their coach. not about why we have not fired Mike yet. you haters may as well get over it.you lost.he is not getting fired.so shut the hell up about it.don't need to see his and your whining in every freaking thread.

Nor yours.........His post was about excellence and expectations. Nothing wrong with bringing up they appear to have higher expectations that some other programs and yes right now that does include us.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: PonderinHog on March 16, 2017, 01:32:06 pm
Sometimes gimmicks work.

Sometimes they don't.

Haha! Good thing they didn't ram my hotel entrance like that when one of them stayed at it one time.

HogBreath

Please excuse him Forrest, he just doesn't buy in to the notion of how good we're gonna be next year or the following one.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

Captain Morgan

Quote from: forrest city joe on March 16, 2017, 01:24:26 pm

FCJ,
What will be your opinion when Tom Crean goes to LSU in a few days? He has Sweet Sixteen appearances. I expect Indiana to probably get Archie Miller now while Crean will go to LSU  ;)

HogBreath

Quote from: LZH on March 16, 2017, 01:27:38 pm
Yeah, not sure that having Coach Dykes leading the women's team was ever an idea grounded in very much logic. 

But hey, maybe that's just me.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

passinghog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 16, 2017, 12:38:53 pm
There are more than five top jobs and IU is one of them. I agree some top jobs are not what they once were and some have moved up that weren't there in the past. Yes Knight played a part but they had won two titles before he got there. I agree that UCLA is located in a bigger recruiting market but that isn't as important with the proliferation of games on TV OR with the one and done's of today. ONE coach made UCLA what it is as far as basketball is concerned. Only one other coach there won a title and that was against the Hogs! He also got them and another team in the SEC in trouble with the NCAA. Also it is important to note that a large number of John Wooden's teams had their best players NOT from the LA area high schools. Ironic also that UCLA's best coach and one mentioned as the best ever in mens college basketball was from Indiana and played college ball in Indiana at Purdue.

I mentioned the recruiting base because it's still and always will be about getting the best players. In football and basketball, if you don't have to fly out of your home state to get elite players, you have an inherent advantage in getting the best players (legally). The rust belt is a depreciating in population, big time. The closest city to IU with premier basketball talent is Chicago, and players out of that city aren't loyal to any one school, but it's still heavily recruited by the best of the best.

hawg66

+1

forrest city joe

Quote from: Captain Morgan on March 16, 2017, 01:42:01 pm
FCJ,
What will be your opinion when Tom Crean goes to LSU in a few days? He has Sweet Sixteen appearances. I expect Indiana to probably get Archie Miller now while Crean will go to LSU  ;)
I don't care if he goes to Lsu or not. i love the way Mike has built this program.he has got Arkansas set up to be good for a long time with the recruiting classes he has coming in. i am just going to sit back and enjoy.

Captain Morgan

Quote from: forrest city joe on March 16, 2017, 02:06:17 pm
I don't care if he goes to Lsu or not. i love the way Mike has built this program.he has got Arkansas set up to be good for a long time with the recruiting classes he has coming in. i am just going to sit back and enjoy.

Well you should care. That gives LSU a good coach and a good recruiter.  ;)

forrest city joe

Quote from: HogBreath on March 16, 2017, 01:39:21 pm
Please excuse him Forrest, he just doesn't buy in to the notion of how good we're gonna be next year or the following one.
No he's pissed because Mike Anderson is not getting fired. he may as well let it go.he lost on this one.PERIOD!

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Captain Morgan on March 16, 2017, 02:07:46 pm

I think sickboy said one of the Kardashian girls is going to take that LSU job.  The chubby one, I think..
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

forrest city joe

Quote from: Captain Morgan on March 16, 2017, 02:07:46 pm
Lsu is a good program.but Arkansas has proven over the years that we can play with LSU.and that's going back to the days when they had Shaq and Chris Jackson.it will be great to have both Arkansas and Lsu back in basketball.i have said for years that Sec basketball will never be what it was in the 90,s,until Arkansas and Lsu are strong again. not worried at all.

jesterzzn

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 16, 2017, 12:07:50 pm
Good catch. My bad. Meant to say Indiana. Should have said Bloomington. But you helped make my point. Since Bloomington is a prototypical college town it's quality of life is actually better than LA's IMHO.
Have you ever been to LA?  Have you spent a January day in Indiana?  Serious question.

I'm honestly in shock someone, anyone, is trying to sell me ANYWHERE in Indiana over LA.  As the coach of UCLA he's not hanging out in Compton.  I mean, we're not talking about USC after all, we're talking Westwood.  Livin' in the Hills.

hogsanity

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 16, 2017, 01:34:40 pm
Nor yours.........His post was about excellence and expectations. Nothing wrong with bringing up they appear to have higher expectations that some other programs and yes right now that does include us.

Exactly, there are MANY programs keeping coaches that have done far less than Crean did at IU. For IU, 3 sweet 16's in 9 years is not enough production, for the others, less than that, FAR less in some cases, is just fine and dandy.

For Crean in particular, someone will hire him, and if they get the Crean from a decade ago, or the 1st 5 or 6 yrs at IU, they are getting a really good coach and recruiter.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

jesterzzn

Quote from: sickboy on March 16, 2017, 12:59:52 pm

Hiring coaches isn't a science. And everyone and their mother was excited about Jimmy Dykes being hired. I get why he makes that hire. It's a high profile guy from ESPN who's got ties to the university. It just didn't work out.

This is just not even remotely true.  I was excited by the hire.  I know others on this board and around the state were also excited.  But the general consensus everywhere except for ESPN was "Wait, what?" and there was even some backlash from the coaching fraternity.  It would have been like Seton Hall hiring Dick Vitale in the 90's... to coach their women's team.  Well, I guess except for the fact that at least Vitale can say he was a head coach in the NBA.

It was definitely a big PR hire for the University within local circles.  It was also definitely met with considerable skepticism outside those circles.  And now in hindsight, they were definitely correct, and I (we) were definitely wrong.

forrest city joe

Quote from: hogsanity on March 16, 2017, 02:40:51 pm
Exactly, there are MANY programs keeping coaches that have done far less than Crean did at IU. For IU, 3 sweet 16's in 9 years is not enough production, for the others, less than that, FAR less in some cases, is just fine and dandy.

For Crean in particular, someone will hire him, and if they get the Crean from a decade ago, or the 1st 5 or 6 yrs at IU, they are getting a really good coach and recruiter.
Who cares.we have Mike Anderson and i love it.and that pisses you and the haters off. get use to Mike,because he is not getting fired.you lost.

HogBreath

Quote from: forrest city joe on March 16, 2017, 02:08:06 pm
No he's pissed because Mike Anderson is not getting fired. he may as well let it go.he lost on this one.PERIOD!
And also major thanks Joe for not making this thread about CMA, like others with an obvious agenda have done.  +100

jesterzzn

Oh, and for the record, Indiana made a mistake today.

MtPorker

Best thing about California is the women, oh lord the women.

hogsanity

Quote from: jesterzzn on March 16, 2017, 02:44:07 pm
This is just not even remotely true.  I was excited by the hire.  I know others on this board and around the state were also excited.  But the general consensus everywhere except for ESPN was "Wait, what?" and there was even some backlash from the coaching fraternity.  It would have been like Seton Hall hiring Dick Vitale in the 90's... to coach their women's team.  Well, I guess except for the fact that at least Vitale can say he was a head coach in the NBA.

It was definitely a big PR hire for the University within local circles.  It was also definitely met with considerable skepticism outside those circles.  And now in hindsight, they were definitely correct, and I (we) were definitely wrong.

I thought the JD hire was gimmicky, but was low risk as the women's program was pretty down already. If it had worked out, great, if not it generated some buzz the 1st year.

Quote from: HogBreath on March 16, 2017, 02:49:46 pm
And also major thanks Joe for not making this thread about CMA, like others with an obvious agenda have done.  +100

It is not about any coach, other than Crean, directly, but it does show that some places expect more than others in the way of production. A guy goes to the sweet 16 1/3rd of the time and he gets canned. Alot of schools would build statues of a coach who did that.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Hog Pharm

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on March 16, 2017, 11:55:45 am
Why is it I have this feeling that - if Arkansas were making a coaching hire today - Jeff Long's best idea would have been Tom Crean (if not Cuonzo Martin)?

No matter how dissatisfied I've been at times with Razorback basketball since MA was hired, nothing ever makes me feel good about the idea of Long hiring another basketball coach.

Two words ought to disqualify him from ever doing it again: Jimmy Dykes.

You would be mad if we hired Tom Crean if we had an opening? He's a good coach.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: jesterzzn on March 16, 2017, 02:33:57 pm
Have you ever been to LA?  Have you spent a January day in Indiana?  Serious question.

I'm honestly in shock someone, anyone, is trying to sell me ANYWHERE in Indiana over LA.  As the coach of UCLA he's not hanging out in Compton.  I mean, we're not talking about USC after all, we're talking Westwood.  Livin' in the Hills.

Yep to both. You are STILL talking about weather primarily. I've worked in Michigan in the middle of winter. I love to go to Colorado, Utah, Montana and even Lake Tahoe  CA/NV and even Canada in the winter to have fun via skiing. There is more to life than consistent mild weather and not everyone likes the rat race not to mention the cost of living. AMD it can get hot sometimes in LA in the summer. If it was all about the weather then Bama and Clemson wouldn't be football powers. It get damn hot in AL and SC in the summer. That's as bad or worse to a lot of people as cold is. I like the weather there in LA but prefer a defined four seasons. I don't like a lot of other things about LA and all these burbs there. Just because you can live in Westwood doesn't mean you still don't have to deal with other things that other people in LA and the area have to deal with. Heck I've visited and known three people that lived in Hawaii for a minimum of two years each and loved the weather, including my wife before I met her. NONE of them have any desire to move back there and live there again.

factchecker

Quote from: hogsanity on March 16, 2017, 03:10:07 pm
Alot of schools would build statues of a coach who did that.

And we haven't built one of the coach who won us our only national championship (in basketball).
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

husker71

IMHO at this moment in time Cuonzo is a much better choice for Missouri basketball than Crean would have been.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: factchecker on March 16, 2017, 03:49:16 pm
And we haven't built one of the coach who won us our only national championship (in basketball).

Maybe a lawsuit has a little to do with that. Doesn't matter who won the case or not.

jesterzzn

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 16, 2017, 03:46:30 pm
Yep to both. You are STILL talking about weather. I've worked in Michigan in the middle of winter. I love to go to Colorado or Utah and even Lake Tahoe in the winter to have fun via skiing. There is more to life than consistent mild weather and not everyone likes the rat race not to mention the cost of living. AMD it can get hot sometimes in LA in the summer. If it was all about the weather then Bama and Clemson wouldn't be football powers. It get damn hot in AL and SC in the summer. That's as bad or worse to a lot of people as cold is. I like the weather there in LA. I don't like a lot of other things about it.

Not much Skiing in Indiana...just sayin.  Look, weather isn't the ONLY argument, its just that UCLA is already one of top programs of all time, so unless you are one of the minority of people that just likes hot summers and Siberian winters, why leave UCLA for Indiana? 

I don't buy the lifestyle argument, either.  You're still making the case for what you would want in your lifestyle, which is fine, but the question is why a top coach would leave LA for Indiana.  Not why you might.  Coaches make more than enough to have a very good standard of living, even in places like LA.  Plus, they live in a bubble.  Work, Home, Work, Work, Work, Home, Work, 2 weeks off in the summer, Repeat.

So the only reason the guy leaves is to coach his Alma Mater, and I think he's too young to make that move for that reason.  He's from Indiana, he knows you plow when its time to plow.  UCLA is set up to be damn good for the next 3-4 years at least.  If he leaves that for Indiana, he's taking a risk that would have to be based entirely on sentiment.  I hope he has good friends that advise him against it.

LR_Matt

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on March 16, 2017, 12:53:31 pm
As much as I love my Hogs, I don't think you can compare Arkansas basketball tradition and Indiana University tradition.  Wish we could, but we can't.

Correct sir, this isn't even close. Even for a homer.

Inhogswetrust

March 16, 2017, 04:23:37 pm #88 Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 04:45:29 pm by Inhogswetrust

I don't like him but Vitale was a successful coach at Detroit. The school not the NBA. He was a flop coaching in the NBA.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Hog Pharm on March 16, 2017, 03:41:46 pm
You would be mad if we hired Tom Crean if we had an opening? He's a good coach.

You believe he would be capable of taking the Razorbacks to a higher level of performance?
[CENSORED]!

Athog

sweet 16 once every 3 years, on average, and he gets fired. Making the ncaat once every 3 years brings cries for a raise and extension for others. Think we see which school & fans prioritize a high level of success.

Well let's not compare as equal yet OK?

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: jesterzzn on March 16, 2017, 04:06:23 pm
Not much Skiing in Indiana...just sayin.  Look, weather isn't the ONLY argument, its just that UCLA is already one of top programs of all time, so unless you are one of the minority of people that just likes hot summers and Siberian winters, why leave UCLA for Indiana? 

I don't buy the lifestyle argument, either.  You're still making the case for what you would want in your lifestyle, which is fine, but the question is why a top coach would leave LA for Indiana.  Not why you might.  Coaches make more than enough to have a very good standard of living, even in places like LA.  Plus, they live in a bubble.  Work, Home, Work, Work, Work, Home, Work, 2 weeks off in the summer, Repeat.

So the only reason the guy leaves is to coach his Alma Mater, and I think he's too young to make that move for that reason.  He's from Indiana, he knows you plow when its time to plow.  UCLA is set up to be damn good for the next 3-4 years at least.  If he leaves that for Indiana, he's taking a risk that would have to be based entirely on sentiment.  I hope he has good friends that advise him against it.

I'm not disputing the stature of UCLA since Wooden made it what it is. ALL I'm trying to say is for you to think that it is a better job than IU in all situations simply based on location is wrong. You wonder WHY someone might leave what you apparently consider some sort of paradise for some reason. You are asking the wrong question. The question should be not WHY a coach would leave but WHY is it best for a particular coach to leave. MAYBE his good friends did indeed advise him to go for different reasons. Don't forget being a basketball coach in a place like the LA metro area can be a little fish in a big pond. You as well are making an argument for "lifestyle" in some of your postings on the subject. You also brought out money and we both know that a million $ in Bloomington goes a lot farther than in Westwood. Even for millionaires that matters but sometimes other things matter more than $. I've know a few. Maybe the AD there isn't as supportive or the school or the faculty isn't either. Assembly Hall is still a better arena than PP. IU is also a very good academic school just like UCLA. I don't blame ANY coach at any age for wanting to go coach his Alma Mater even if the status of the programs at the time are not equally comparable. NEVER underestimate the power and pull of being able to go "home". I know I moved back home to Arkansas from Virginia where I had a really good job and loved living there. It simply started to change there and it wasn't home. Basketball in the LA area is an afterthought. In Indiana it is like football in the south. It is dang near a religion.

Sow’sEar

sickboy

You are correct. I qualified my original statement with a response earlier. The "everyone and their mother" I was speaking of was exclusively in regards to Hogville. Especially as sample set of the broader Arkansas fanbase. Not people who actually follow Women's basketball.

So what I should have said was everyone "here" was excited about Dykes.

ShadowHawg

All I see is maniac hater.

Our team is in the tournament. Give your hate a rest and let us enjoy our season.

sickboy

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 16, 2017, 12:07:50 pm
Good catch. My bad. Meant to say Indiana. Should have said Bloomington. But you helped make my point. Since Bloomington is a prototypical college town it's quality of life is actually better than LA's IMHO.

Spent plenty of time in both. You're correct that Bloomington more of a prototypical college town. Both places have pluses and minuses, just like any two places being compared.

If you're more of a traditional, home cookin', "small-town" kinda person... then Bloomington is probably for you. If you like the beach, culture, food and night life... Westwood would do you well.

They're both great cities to go to college at. In my opinion, as someone who's pretty well traveled... if you like city life... I'm not sure there's a better place in the country to call home than Westwood. It's Bel Air without the extravagance. And if you want the extravagance, Bel Air's still your neighbor next door.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 16, 2017, 03:54:06 pm
Maybe a lawsuit has a little to do with that. Doesn't matter who won the case or not.

A white haired devil might have had something to do with it as well, but he got his statue.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 16, 2017, 01:20:23 pm

Are we in tournament?

At some point common sense has to take over.

As a hog fan, why's it bad to be happy about a 25 win season.

I read all the time on here "don't like the thread don't post in it." Well, don't like the season then how about taking a live and let live approach. Plenty of time to complain in the offseason.

Inhogswetrust

March 16, 2017, 05:11:17 pm #98 Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 05:29:59 pm by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on March 16, 2017, 05:07:57 pm
A white haired devil might have had something to do with it as well, but he got his statue.

He was also a part of the lawsuit. But him having a statue shows how much more importance is really put on football AND as far as I know he never has filed a lawsuit against the school.

hawginbigd1

I don't understand all of the trashing Jimmy Dykes hire! It's like everybody thinks Jimmy was just some walk on player turned color analyst that on a lark we decided we would make into a basketball coach. Guy earned the opportunity based on years of coaching experience.