Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Indiana fires Tom Crean

Started by The_Iceman, March 16, 2017, 11:29:54 am

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Iceman

3 Sweet 16s in 9 seasons.

Wonder who Indiana will land?

Jackrabbit Hog

In before the "Bring Back Bobby Knight" crowd chimes in on the IU message boards.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

King Kong

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on March 16, 2017, 11:32:37 am
In before the "Bring Back Bobby Knight" crowd chimes in on the IU message boards.

That's been going on for years

VictoryRedChevy

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: King Kong on March 16, 2017, 11:35:58 am
That's been going on for years

Folding chair sales are spiking in Bloomington as I type this.
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

hogsanity

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 16, 2017, 11:29:54 am
3 Sweet 16s in 9 seasons.

Wonder who Indiana will land?

sweet 16 once every 3 years, on average, and he gets fired. Making the ncaat once every 3 years brings cries for a raise and extension for others. Think we see which school & fans prioritize a high level of success.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: VictoryRedChevy on March 16, 2017, 11:40:35 am
Steve Alford is my guess.

I'd bet a call has already been made to his agent. The Indy Star has a lot of good coaches speculated as possibilities already...............It IS one of the top college basketball jobs, but has the high pressure to go with it.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Jackrabbit Hog

Norman Dale.

He loves those guys.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Rock City Razorback on March 16, 2017, 11:43:24 am
I could see Gregg Marshall leaving for this one. He might just prefer the easy schedule though, who knows.

Others have tighter connections to Bloomington or Indiana in general. But it wouldn't surprise me either.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on March 16, 2017, 11:40:53 am
Folding chair sales are spiking in Bloomington as I type this.

Haha! I don't think it was a folding one though was it? They probably have it enshrined in the IU HOF along with a bullwhip.

passinghog

Quote from: hogsanity on March 16, 2017, 11:45:06 am
sweet 16 once every 3 years, on average, and he gets fired. Making the ncaat once every 3 years brings cries for a raise and extension for others. Think we see which school & fans prioritize a high level of success.

I see a school that won't tolerate a coach going 166-135 and 71-91 in conference in 9 years. That wouldn't be acceptable at Arkansas either. Luckily we have a coach that's gone 127-73 (60-46) in 6 years. Whatever agenda you have, it can be smacked down. Easily.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on March 16, 2017, 11:47:22 am
Norman Dale.

He loves those guys.

Excellent post of the day candidate!

Best line in the movie "welcome to Indiana basketball".

jjdlc

Quote from: hogsanity on March 16, 2017, 11:45:06 am

Sometimes you have to learn to walk again before you can run.

Biggus Piggus

Why is it I have this feeling that - if Arkansas were making a coaching hire today - Jeff Long's best idea would have been Tom Crean (if not Cuonzo Martin)?

No matter how dissatisfied I've been at times with Razorback basketball since MA was hired, nothing ever makes me feel good about the idea of Long hiring another basketball coach.

Two words ought to disqualify him from ever doing it again: Jimmy Dykes.
[CENSORED]!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Showtimehog on March 16, 2017, 11:51:45 am
I see a school that won't tolerate a coach going 166-135 and 71-91 in conference in 9 years. That wouldn't be acceptable at Arkansas either. Luckily we have a coach that's gone 127-73 (60-46) in 6 years. Whatever agenda you have, it can be smacked down. Easily.

Get back to us when he wins two conference championships and goes to three sweet sixteens in nine years like Crean did.

passinghog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 16, 2017, 11:46:12 am
I'd bet a call has already been made to his agent. The Indy Star has a lot of good coaches speculated as possibilities already...............It IS one of the top college basketball jobs, but has the high pressure to go with it.

UCLA is a better job with a better recruiting base and better quality of life. If he didn't have the Ball brothers coming in back to back to back seasons, maybe he'd consider it.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on March 16, 2017, 11:55:45 am
Why is it I have this feeling that - if Arkansas were making a coaching hire today - Jeff Long's best idea would have been Tom Crean (if not Cuonzo Martin)?

No matter how dissatisfied I've been at times with Razorback basketball since MA was hired, nothing ever makes me feel good about the idea of Long hiring another basketball coach.

I can't argue with that.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Showtimehog on March 16, 2017, 11:56:13 am
UCLA is a better job with a better recruiting base and better quality of life. If he didn't have the Ball brothers coming in back to back to back seasons, maybe he'd consider it.

This depends on one's definition of "quality of life."  I guess if you're a Kardashian...

passinghog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 16, 2017, 11:55:59 am
Get back to us when he wins two conference championships and goes to three sweet sixteens in nine years like Crean did.

I'll pass on the 3 straight losing seasons

passinghog

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on March 16, 2017, 11:57:49 am
This depends on one's definition of "quality of life."  I guess if you're a Kardashian...

75 degrees every day with no humidity shuts down your argument

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Showtimehog on March 16, 2017, 11:56:13 am

Not anymore it isn't. You think the "quality of life" is better in LA than Indianapolis? Not me. The ONLY better thing is the weather and there is much more to "quality of life" than weather. IF a coach is only somewhere because of weather then Martin would have never moved from Cal to Mizzou.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Showtimehog on March 16, 2017, 11:59:22 am
75 degrees every day with no humidity shuts down your argument

Not to mention civilization vs. barren wasteland.
[CENSORED]!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on March 16, 2017, 12:02:01 pm
Not to mention civilization vs. barren wasteland.

Except LA is not the poster child for "civilization".

Atlhogfan1

Alford wears on people from what I've heard.  Not sure how long he will be at UCLA.  It has been 4 seasons now.  May be time to head out again.

Certainly understand IU making a change.  Makes sense.  They should be in better shape certainly than when they hired Crean.  He took the wrong job at the wrong time.  Too much to dig out of although outside of the Wade led team Crean's resume wasn't spectacular. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

PonderinHog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 16, 2017, 12:03:20 pm
And IU isn't in Indianapolis.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Indiana was a premier job but the cavalcade of guys parading through their since Knight left is a bit uninspiring:  Davis, Sampson, Crean. 

Alford has a losing record in the B10, and before landing the Balls was probably a year away from being let go at UCLA.

Brad Stevens is one to watch as is Hoiberg.  Get a young energetic guy but one that won't crumble under the weight of the IU job.  As far as college coaches go I'd make Marshall the number 1 target.  I think he's got the ego to handle IU. 
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Inhogswetrust

March 16, 2017, 12:07:50 pm #26 Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 12:28:21 pm by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: PonderinHog on March 16, 2017, 12:05:31 pm
And IU isn't in Indianapolis.

Good catch. My bad. Meant to say Indiana. Should have said Bloomington. But you helped make my point. Since Bloomington is a prototypical college town it's quality of life is actually better than LA's IMHO.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 16, 2017, 12:04:33 pm
Alford wears on people from what I've heard.  Not sure how long he will be at UCLA.  It has been 4 seasons now.  May be time to head out again.

I've heard that too.  Sounds like he's the Jim Harbaugh of the college basketball world.

3kgthog

hawginbigd1

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 16, 2017, 11:55:59 am
I could see us getting fairly close to that in the next 3 years

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on March 16, 2017, 12:08:35 pm
I've heard that too.  Sounds like he's the Jim Harbaugh of the college basketball world.

Perhaps but he still isn't in the same league for wearing on people as his former college coach was or several others today.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on March 16, 2017, 12:07:49 pm
Brad Stevens is one to watch as is Hoiberg.

I don't know if he'd leave the NBA now, since he's having success and everybody there raves about his coaching.  But if he did and IU got him, that would be the 5 star hire.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on March 16, 2017, 12:09:48 pm
I could see us getting fairly close to that in the next 3 years

Hope so. I'll take a wait and see approach though.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 16, 2017, 12:03:20 pm

Guess you ain't spent much time around there. Long Beach, Santa Monica, Pasadena, Huntington Beach, Newport Beach...goodness gracious. Plus all the resources of a world-class city.

Indianapolis might be the most boring NFL city, and that's saying a lot. Of course, IU is in Bloomington, which is a whole lotta barren lifelessness away from Indianapolis. Best feature = being a short drive away from the northern terminus of Interstate 69. Any college student worth his salt should own an I-69 sign.
[CENSORED]!

Dwight_K_Shrute

Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on March 16, 2017, 12:10:58 pm
I don't know if he'd leave the NBA now, since he's having success and everybody there raves about his coaching.  But if he did and IU got him, that would be the 5 star hire.

Indy Star also had Billy Donovan's name listed.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 16, 2017, 12:12:36 pm
Indy Star also had Billy Donovan's name listed.

That is who I expect to be back and at one of the marquee programs.  But I'm guessing Kentucky after Cal. 

Hoping Stevens follows Coach K. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on March 16, 2017, 12:11:23 pm
Guess you ain't spent much time around there. Long Beach, Santa Monica, Pasadena, Huntington Beach, Newport Beach...goodness gracious. Plus all the resources of a world-class city.

Indianapolis might be the most boring NFL city, and that's saying a lot. Of course, IU is in Bloomington, which is a whole lotta barren lifelessness away from Indianapolis. Best feature = being a short drive away from the northern terminus of Interstate 69. Any college student worth his salt should own an I-69 sign.

Spent a lot of time out there. My son lived in Santa Monica only three blocks from the pier and also El Segundo for several years before moving to San Jose. The best thing about California is the abundance of good wine at a reasonable price. Didn't say Indy was a highlight reel for things to do. Also Kansas City or Minneapolis would give it a run for it's money on the boring list.

hogsanity

The question with Marshall is how long is he going to put up with having to win 30 games just to barely get into the ncaat as 10 seed.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: hogsanity on March 16, 2017, 12:21:31 pm
The question with Marshall is how long is he going to put up with having to win 30 games just to barely get into the ncaat as 10 seed.

The MVC isn't quite what it was.

passinghog

IU just isn't the premier job that it once was. Bob Knight played a strong part in making IU what it was. Southern California has a better recruiting base, not to mention on the hierarchy, UCLA is still a top 5 basketball job. IU just isn't

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Showtimehog on March 16, 2017, 12:25:05 pm
IU just isn't the premier job that it once was. Bob Knight played a strong part in making IU what it was. Southern California has a better recruiting base, not to mention on the hierarchy, UCLA is still a top 5 basketball job. IU just isn't

There are more than five top jobs and IU is one of them. I agree some top jobs are not what they once were and some have moved up that weren't there in the past. Yes Knight played a part but they had won two titles before he got there. I agree that UCLA is located in a bigger recruiting market but that isn't as important with the proliferation of games on TV OR with the one and done's of today. ONE coach made UCLA what it is as far as basketball is concerned. Only one other coach there won a title and that was against the Hogs! He also got them and another team in the SEC in trouble with the NCAA. He's not even the the second highest winning coach at UCLA now. That distinction belongs to another current SEC coach Ben Howland. Also it is important to note that a large number of John Wooden's teams had their best players NOT from the LA area high schools. Ironic also that UCLA's best coach and one mentioned as the best ever in mens college basketball was from Indiana and played college ball in Indiana at Purdue. Both UCLA and IU are good top jobs for different reasons, yet just like any coaching job it all depends on who the coach is at the time.

sickboy

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on March 16, 2017, 11:57:49 am

My wife is childhood friends with the older ones (Kim, Courtney and Khloe). From time to time we have to do baby showers, kids birthday parties, random holidays together. I can personally attest that the greatest blight on life in Los Angeles is the Kardashians. Though technically they dwell in Calabasas (a vanilla, soulless, "look how rich I am" community NW of LA) and random clubs scattered throughout Hollywood, West Hollywood and Santa Monica... they're pretty far removed from UCLA basketball. Though with Khloe's track record -- Lonzo Ball might want to watch out.

HossHog

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on March 16, 2017, 12:07:49 pm
Indiana was a premier job but the cavalcade of guys parading through their since Knight left is a bit uninspiring:  Davis, Sampson, Crean. 

Alford has a losing record in the B10, and before landing the Balls was probably a year away from being let go at UCLA.

Brad Stevens is one to watch as is Hoiberg.  Get a young energetic guy but one that won't crumble under the weight of the IU job.  As far as college coaches go I'd make Marshall the number 1 target.  I think he's got the ego to handle IU.
Brad Stevens is currently in second place in the East... so that's not happening

Biggus Piggus

Could be that Indiana's claim to greatness is similar to Arkansas's. Both schools hired coaches who lifted their programs to unprecedented heights + left in anger after their programs no longer were elite. Fans of both schools believe they should return to where they were.
[CENSORED]!

sickboy

Quote from: HossHog on March 16, 2017, 12:45:48 pm
Brad Stevens is currently in second place in the East... so that's not happening

Indiana isn't as attractive as it used to be either.

LZH

Troof

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on March 16, 2017, 12:48:40 pm
Could be that Indiana's claim to greatness is similar to Arkansas's. Both schools hired coaches who lifted their programs to unprecedented heights + left in anger after their programs no longer were elite. Fans of both schools believe they should return to where they were.

As much as I love my Hogs, I don't think you can compare Arkansas basketball tradition and Indiana University tradition.  Wish we could, but we can't.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on March 16, 2017, 12:48:40 pm

There is some similarities but Branch McCracken had won two National titles at IU before Knight became their coach. They were already considered as a somewhat elite program when Knight arrived. Arkansas had some success but not quite to that level. I agree with the premise of your post mostly though. Coaches left in anger and fans clamor for and believe they should return to glory. Unfortunately it isn't as easy as some fans think it should be.

sickboy

I get where you're coming from... but we're not hiring a basketball coach because he hired a good one. So it's a moot point.

When Indiana hired Tom Crean, he was as pedigreed a coach as you'd find. Hell, he led Marquette to a Final Four and five NCAA tourney appearances. Now he's getting fired.

Hiring coaches isn't a science. And everyone and their mother was excited about Jimmy Dykes being hired. I get why he makes that hire. It's a high profile guy from ESPN who's got ties to the university. It just didn't work out.

For the most part, Long has hired productive coaches who've bettered the programs they took over. You can't get every hire right. It's just not possible.