Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Indiana fires Tom Crean

Started by The_Iceman, March 16, 2017, 11:29:54 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: sickboy on March 16, 2017, 05:05:46 pm
Spent plenty of time in both. You're correct that Bloomington more of a prototypical college town. Both places have pluses and minuses, just like any two places being compared.

If you're more of a traditional, home cookin', "small-town" kinda person... then Bloomington is probably for you. If you like the beach, culture, food and night life... Westwood would do you well.

They're both great cities to go to college at. In my opinion, as someone who's pretty well traveled... if you like city life... I'm not sure there's a better place in the country to call home than Westwood. It's Bel Air without the extravagance. And if you want the extravagance, Bel Air's still your neighbor next door.

Good post. I'm not a little town or big city kind of guy either way. I like medium sized places which in todays world offers the conveniences of a big city yet still can seem more laid-back, less "fake" or "showing off" as well as less crime, easier to get around and your neighbors actually know you but still don't stick their nose in your business. In California I like the areas outside San Fran, to the north of it in the wine country around Santa Rosa, Paso Robles and Santa Ynez and in the mountains. Of course they each have their own issues just like anywhere. 
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 16, 2017, 05:11:17 pm
He was also a part of the lawsuit. But him having a statue shows how much more importance is really put on football AND as far as i know he never has fired a lawsuit against the school.

Broyles shouldn't have a statue. Darrell Brown

He did do great things and I am thankful for the program he built.

But you should read the account of the first black football player in razorback history. Broyles and his staff literally physically abused this young man to try and make him quit the team.

I don't care about a lawsuit. His abuse of that man because he was black should disqualify him for a statue. Bad enough he has a building named after him.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ShadowHawg on March 16, 2017, 05:21:11 pm
Broyles shouldn't have a statue.

He did do great things and I am thankful for the program he built.

But you should read the account of the first black football player in razorback history. Broyles and his staff literally physically abused this young man to try and make him quit the team.

I don't care about a lawsuit. His abuse of that man because he was black should disqualify him for a statue. Bad enough he has a building named after him.

I have read that account. Then a LOT of buildings and statues all over college campuses and the country would have to be renamed, changed or removed. What he did was wrong but he did what a lot of coaches back then did. That's not to excuse what he did and what others did. It was ALL wrong. I'm betting he knows that and is sorry for it. There was actually something about all that happening and was discussed on here before.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ShadowHawg on March 16, 2017, 05:08:45 pm
Are we in tournament?

At some point common sense has to take over.

As a hog fan, why's it bad to be happy about a 25 win season.

I read all the time on here "don't like the thread don't post in it." Well, don't like the season then how about taking a live and let live approach. Plenty of time to complain in the offseason.

I AM taking a live and let live approach. That is kind of the same as a wait and see approach. Let each season happen, let each day happen let each game happen. Le the chips fall where they may. That doesn't mean that all the parameters will be the same for different situations and seasons and days. I like Mike and am very happy for him and the team the way they turned things around late in the season. I wouldn't be shocked if it doesn't reward him with a raise and contract extension. He's probably earned it. That still doesn't mean I believe he is a great coach that will return us to a lot better times.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 16, 2017, 05:35:20 pm
I AM taking a live and let live approach. That is kind of the same as a wait and see approach. Let each season happen, let each day happen let each game happen. Le the chips fall where they may. That doesn't mean that all the parameters will be the same for different situations and seasons and days. I like Mike and am very happy for him and the team the way they turned things around late in the season. I wouldn't be shocked if it doesn't reward him with a raise and contract extension. He's probably earned it. That still doesn't mean I believe he is a great coach that will return us to a lot better times.

I am just asking that you and others not change your minds, just give it a rest through the weekend. Then let her rip all you want.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 16, 2017, 05:29:17 pm
I have read that account. Then a LOT of buildings and statues all over college campuses and the country would have to be renamed, changed or removed. What he did was wrong but he did what a lot of coaches back then did. That's not to excuse what he did and what others did. It was ALL wrong. I'm betting he knows that and is sorry for it. There was actually something about all that happening and was discussed on here before.

He NEVER apologized, per Darell Brown and he had plenty of opportunities according to Brown.

John Wooden forced the NAIA to become integrated in the late 40's while at Indiana St. Indiana had the largest Ku Klux Klan membership in the history of the U.S. So it was a very bold stance to take.

Brown was only a walk on. He didn't have to travel or even be allowed to dress out at home games. There was zero reason to harass him at all.

His abuse was solely because he was black. That pretty makes Broyles a hate filled coward as a man.

hogwood

Always thought Crean was overrated.

On another note, perhaps freshman De'Ron Davis (nephew of Clint McDaniel) would be interested in transferring here. 6'10" highly rated kid in 2016. We were in serious consideration at one point. If someone transfers we'd have room for him even if we add Zhaire Smith.

sickboy

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 16, 2017, 05:19:46 pm
Good post. I'm not a little town or big city kind of guy either way. I like medium sized places which in todays world offers the conveniences of a big city yet still can seem more laid-back, less "fake" or "showing off" as well as less crime, easier to get around and your neighbors actually know you but still don't stick their nose in your business. In California I like the areas outside San Fran, to the north of it in the wine country around Santa Rosa, Paso Robles and Santa Ynez and in the mountains. Of course they each have their own issues just like anywhere. 

You're preaching to the choir here. I'm an Arkansan living in LA, so my heart lies somewhere in between, like you.

And my favorite place on planet Earth is Tomales Bay, north of San Fran. That up there, along with the places you mentioned is God's country to me.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 16, 2017, 05:29:17 pm
Yea, I wonder if Wilson Matthews ever apologized for treating all those players like dogs.
Or if Bear Bryant ever apologized to the 'Junction Boys' of A&M in 1954 in that infamous summer heat training camp. This was back in the day when they didn't even let guys have some water.
Times have changed. Coaches are still tough on players, but they've progressed.
Football is still a hard sport but it's  more enlightened than it used to be.

ChicoHog

Quote from: Showtimehog on March 16, 2017, 11:56:13 am
UCLA is a better job with a better recruiting base and better quality of life. If he didn't have the Ball brothers coming in back to back to back seasons, maybe he'd consider it.
As much as I loved Steve Alford the player I don't think Steve Alford the coach has been that good. He was mediocre at Iowa, mediocre at New Mexico and now at UCLA he has had really good talent but unless they show up in the tournament I think they actually under achieved this year.  earlier this season I thought they could be National champs but i just don't see it happening.  They barely beat SC in the Pac 12 tournament and then lost to AZ.   Wildcats are good but I think Bruins have just as much talent.  I hope they play well in the tournament for Alford's sake.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 16, 2017, 05:11:17 pm
He was also a part of the lawsuit. But him having a statue shows how much more importance is really put on football AND as far as I know he never has filed a lawsuit against the school.
Without Frank Broyles there wouldn't even be much of an athletic department to argue about.
We can discuss whether statues should be built for anyone, but if anyone should have one, it's him.
I'm ok with telling the 'whole story' on JFB. The good is going to far outweigh the bad, not even close.
Yes, he was a meddler and a tough guy to work for and had run-ins with a lot of very good coaches.
Nolan would only be one of a long line of those guys. See: Lou Holtz, Ken Hatfield, Eddie Sutton. They all had major issues working for JFB, and either left or got fired. No reason to single Nolan out from that group, he had the same issues they did.
JFB/John White fired Nolan, but JFB also offered Nolan the job in 1985 and was a trend-setter in many ways. He also made Nolan a very wealthy man. I know Nolan received a large annuity as reward in the early 90s.
Like I say, just tell the whole story.

ChicoHog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 16, 2017, 05:19:46 pm
I lived in Santa Rosa for 5 years in the 80s and really liked it.  Don't need A/C, only an hour from San Fran and 30 miles from ocean.  Unfortunately it just got too biog and too much traffic.  No way I would go back now.  My son went to school in San Luis Obispo for a year and that is a great place to live except very expensive.  I have lived in Chico for over 25 years and love it. Some think it's too hot in  the summer but I don't mind the heat.  100K people and a college town, similar to Fayetteville/Springdale area.  Except Chico st doesn't compare to the Razorbacks!!

LZH

Will Northwestern's coach be a hot commodity this spring? Yesterday I saw one of their women's teams (softball?, I don't know) in the San Francisco airport of all places...and there were a few "Go Cats" tossed around. Don't know who their men's bball coach is, but he seems pretty popular at the moment.

WPS007

For starters IU is in Bloomington not Indy. It does have a ski resort about 15 minutes from campus and also surrounded by several lakes. If you have never been there it reminds me a lot of Fayetteville almost same population. To top it off they have a great steakhouse Jankos Little Zagreb and they just updated Assembly Hall and is packed for every game.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: ChicoHog on March 17, 2017, 12:39:23 am
I lived in Santa Rosa for 5 years in the 80s and really liked it.  Don't need A/C, only an hour from San Fran and 30 miles from ocean.  Unfortunately it just got too biog and too much traffic.  No way I would go back now.  My son went to school in San Luis Obispo for a year and that is a great place to live except very expensive.  I have lived in Chico for over 25 years and love it. Some think it's too hot in  the summer but I don't mind the heat.  100K people and a college town, similar to Fayetteville/Springdale area.  Except Chico st doesn't compare to the Razorbacks!!

You live in Chico?  You the Man!

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

LZH

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on March 17, 2017, 06:36:31 am

Wonder how many will catch that.....

lefty08

Quote from: hogsanity on March 16, 2017, 03:10:07 pm
I thought the JD hire was gimmicky, but was low risk as the women's program was pretty down already. If it had worked out, great, if not it generated some buzz the 1st year.

It is not about any coach, other than Crean, directly, but it does show that some places expect more than others in the way of production. A guy goes to the sweet 16 1/3rd of the time and he gets canned. Alot of schools would build statues of a coach who did that.

The firing was much more about what he did the other 2/3rds of his time in Indiana, that darn wouldn't fly here either, but carry on
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

lefty08

Oh, and I wouldn't live in California if you paid me
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

Hollywood_HOGan45

It's been an incredible run of wins and now we are in tournament week.  Yet some fools would still like to bash the coach and bang that agenda drum.

Sad.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on March 17, 2017, 12:28:23 am
Yea, I wonder if Wilson Matthews ever apologized for treating all those players like dogs.
Or if Bear Bryant ever apologized to the 'Junction Boys' of A&M in 1954 in that infamous summer heat training camp. This was back in the day when they didn't even let guys have some water.
Times have changed. Coaches are still tough on players, but they've progressed.
Football is still a hard sport but it's  more enlightened than it used to be.

Back in those days all walk-ons and scholarship freshmen alike were treated that way. Sure some of it was racism but some of it especially the freshmen scholarship players was simply making it like a boot camp to see who "survived" and were really tough. A LOT of players around the country left teams in those days. Heck they even made a movie about one of those players. Although not black he did survive. It was a  guy named Rudy at ND. I do realize black players had to also fight discrimination as well a lot of times.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ChicoHog on March 17, 2017, 12:39:23 am

The manager of the Hilton Garden Inn there a few years ago is a friend of mine. That's where we stay when we go there. My son's house in San Jose doesn't have AC but there are some days in the summer when he needs it! but if i were forced to move to that area it probably would be around Sebastopol or maybe the mountains between Sonoma and Napa if I could afford it. Those mountains are expensive!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: LZH on March 17, 2017, 06:47:37 am
Wonder how many will catch that.....

I did. It was a good one!

bob slydell

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on March 16, 2017, 11:47:22 am
Norman Dale.

He loves those guys.

No way he's looking to get back into the college game.
*this is not a criticism of moderatin.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: lefty08 on March 17, 2017, 06:54:56 am

Just like anywhere certain locations are good with me. I'd rather live in some California locations moreso than some in Arkansas or other places around the country.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: LZH on March 17, 2017, 05:59:14 am
Will Northwestern's coach be a hot commodity this spring? Yesterday I saw one of their women's teams (softball?, I don't know) in the San Francisco airport of all places...and there were a few "Go Cats" tossed around. Don't know who their men's bball coach is, but he seems pretty popular at the moment.

He just might be the next Duke coach.

lynbug

March 17, 2017, 08:00:44 am #125 Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 10:56:17 am by lynbug
Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on March 16, 2017, 12:10:58 pm
I don't know if he'd leave the NBA now, since he's having success and everybody there raves about his coaching.  But if he did and IU got him, that would be the 5 star hire.
I think Brad Stevens has found a home.......in Boston

Captain Morgan

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 17, 2017, 07:55:53 am
He just might be the next Duke coach.

Nope, the next Duke coach is Florida coach Mike White. His father is the AD at Duke

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

ChicoHog

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on March 17, 2017, 06:36:31 am

Loved that show!  Found a DVD in a budget bin with 5 episodes on it. Jack Albertson was great playing the grumpy old guy ala Walter Matthau.   

ChicoHog

Quote from: lefty08 on March 17, 2017, 06:54:56 am
The politics and cost of living suck but I love the weather! 

Albert Einswine

Quote from: PonderinHog on March 16, 2017, 12:05:31 pm
And IU isn't in Indianapolis.

Bloomington is a pretty bleak place for a college town. And it's in the middle of nowhere. I was totally underwhelmed every time I was through there over the years.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

Sow Lancelot

"Nec vitia nostra nec remedium tolerare possumus." Livy
Nihil boni sine labore, sic vis pacem, para bellum.