Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Spring game against another opponent

Started by parallaxpig, March 15, 2017, 05:09:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

East TN HAWG

I think they should require P5 to play more P5 schools during the season, but allow them to schedule lower lever schools during the spring.   This would provide better inventory in the fall, and still give the small schools their revenue stream. 

007 License To Squeal

Quote from: parallaxpig on March 15, 2017, 05:35:28 pm
Risk of injury no greater than it is in current format.

Totally disagree........
******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

Stephen Greene

Quote from: woodrow hog call on March 15, 2017, 10:03:09 pm
Risk of injury should be half as much as a traditional red white game.
Having half as many players on the field at all times, risk factor should be close to half.

^^^^

And do high schools avoid jamboree games?

No

Stephen Greene

If I'm a FCS / 1-AA head coach, I risk getting fired by getting my entire team hurt against a P5... so the games would pretty much have to be against fellow high level D1 teams

No FCS team is going to agree to play

bennyl08

Quote from: Stephen Greene on March 17, 2017, 04:12:35 pm
If I'm a FCS / 1-AA head coach, I risk getting fired by getting my entire team hurt against a P5... so the games would pretty much have to be against fellow high level D1 teams

No FCS team is going to agree to play

As an FCS coach, I clearly can not schedule you because your entire team could get hurt against a power 5 and you'd be fired.

As a fellow high level D1 coach, you being fired for having your team get injured in a spring game is an even riskier situation, so I clearly can not schedule you .

We beat MSU so we clearly must be strong and perhaps the injuries are right in front of us, so we clearly can not schedule ourselves.

However, we beat Florida's defense, which means we must have a good offensive scheme, and in creating that scheme, we must have studies, and in our studies we must have learned that man is mortal and so we clearly must want to put the risk of injury as far away from us as possible, so clearly we can not schedule a team near us in quality.

Wait, WHAT'S THAT!?!?

Oh, nevermind, must have been nothing. Did I decide on who to schedule? We already had it, must have missed it when you were turned away.

Long story short, never get involved in a land with in Asia.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

PorkSoda

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

parallaxpig

Quote from: 007 License To Squeal on March 17, 2017, 01:46:08 pm
Totally disagree........

Why.....no kick offs , no live punts,
put green jerseys on players that are protected.
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

bennyl08

Quote from: parallaxpig on March 17, 2017, 04:51:56 pm
Why.....no kick offs , no live punts,
put green jerseys on players that are protected.

What are the odds of that player actually being protected? What happens if the other team says screw it, I'm going for the hit. If it's your own team, you can guarantee a proper punishment. A player on another team, what assurance do you have that they will have any incentive not to do that?
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Mike Irwin

Quote from: ricepig on March 15, 2017, 07:10:38 pm
https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/freeze-suggests-outside-opponents-future-spring-games/
My first reaction was, Freeze said what? The only thing he needs to do is figure out a way not to get fired. Then I saw the quote was from 2015.

You can forget it. Not going to happen.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: bennyl08 on March 17, 2017, 05:06:21 pm
What are the odds of that player actually being protected? What happens if the other team says screw it, I'm going for the hit. If it's your own team, you can guarantee a proper punishment. A player on another team, what assurance do you have that they will have any incentive not to do that?

As a scrimmage it wouldn't be necessary to have kick-off's or punts and frequently these are excluded from scrimmages anyway.
Go Hogs Go!

bennyl08

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 17, 2017, 05:10:35 pm
As a scrimmage it wouldn't be necessary to have kick-off's or punts and frequently these are excluded from scrimmages anyway.

Think you quoted the wrong post there.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: bennyl08 on March 17, 2017, 05:17:30 pm
Think you quoted the wrong post there.

Nope, you were responding to a post that addressed this topic (KO's and Punt's in a spring game/scrimmage) and I was just answering you and anyone else who had a question about it.
Go Hogs Go!

bennyl08

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 18, 2017, 12:17:10 pm
Nope, you were responding to a post that addressed this topic (KO's and Punt's in a spring game/scrimmage) and I was just answering you and anyone else who had a question about it.

While I was responding to a post that did mention kickoffs and punts, the post I responded to also included no contact jerseys. My response had absolutely zero to do with special teams and entirely about no contact jerseys. Hence my confusion about your post that was entirely about special teams and had zero to do with no contact jerseys.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: bennyl08 on March 18, 2017, 12:31:02 pm
While I was responding to a post that did mention kickoffs and punts, the post I responded to also included no contact jerseys. My response had absolutely zero to do with special teams and entirely about no contact jerseys. Hence my confusion about your post that was entirely about special teams and had zero to do with no contact jerseys.

Hence, you are no longer confused, or shouldn't be, after my explanation. ;)
Go Hogs Go!

parallaxpig

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 18, 2017, 12:37:13 pm
Hence, you are no longer confused, or shouldn't be, after my explanation. ;)

Yeah but I'm confused. Are we talking about punts, kick offs , no contact jerseys or where life began. 
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: parallaxpig on March 18, 2017, 01:36:15 pm
Yeah but I'm confused. Are we talking about punts, kick offs , no contact jerseys or where life began. 

Spring games or even Spring scrimmages often preclude the punting, punt returns, kick offs and kick-offs returns. It is not unusual to exclude these due to a higher percentage of probability for injury, which everyone wants to avoid. They may sometimes execute the punt game for Punters, but they are not a "live ball". Dead where they land or are caught. Rarely do they include the KO's or KO Return as a part of live action. I hope that provides more detail and decreases any possible confusion.

You are the one who brought up "green jersey's" to protect players in kicking situations. I was merely pointing out that considering that if these were to be used at all they would be used in "live action" scrimmage (and normally are) and not in a "dead ball" situation, where there isn't any need for "green jersey's".

Sorry if my post wasn't clear in establishing what I was trying to say.

Go Hogs Go!