Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Missouri is hiring Cuonzo Martin?

Started by Biggus Piggus, March 15, 2017, 03:17:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawg Red

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on March 15, 2017, 06:49:51 pm
Not every year!! Missouri will have some players. Cunzo is a solid coach. Top 5 in the league as a head coach.

1. Calipari
2. Anderson
3. Howland
4. Barnes
5. Pearl

There cannot be an argument for him at this time over those 5 coaches. I don't see an argument for him over Frank Martin, either.

Hog Pharm

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on March 15, 2017, 03:51:29 pm
Sometimes fit matters. I think Cunzo did not fit in the Pac 12. He signed a kid by the name of Charlie Moore last season out of Chicago. They guy is going to get players and they are going to be a problem for us. I wish Cunzo Martin would have went to Illinois. He can recruit!! Recruiting is 75% of the battle.

Stan Heath could recruit.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 15, 2017, 06:13:42 pm
https://twitter.com/paulbiancardi/status/842142691286740992

Good for Mizz. Porter could help lift them to decent team next year. Still think they away from being a tourney team

Hoggish1

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 15, 2017, 03:55:33 pm
Ok.  Just looked up what happened in the NIT and discovered they were without them. 

?

Letsroll1200

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 15, 2017, 07:03:25 pm
1. Calipari
2. Anderson
3. Howland
4. Barnes
5. Pearl

There cannot be an argument for him at this time over those 5 coaches. I don't see an argument for him over Frank Martin, either.

Cal
Anderson
Barnes
Martin
Johnson -Howland

I don't care nothing about Pearl!! Howland has elite talent on his roster and didn't make the tournament. Those guys for State are athletic and can score.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: Hog Pharm on March 15, 2017, 07:14:59 pm
Stan Heath could recruit.

Cunzo is not Stan Heath!! 3 stops at major programs.

HawgnCorona

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 15, 2017, 04:09:33 pm
He was brought in to recruit the hell out his area. They are going to hire every assistant and family member they can to try and rebuild their crappy roster asap.

Mizzou was desperate and we will see if it pays off for them.

LOL!! Didnt KA do something similar when he hired the Coach at Huntington Prep Rob Fulford to get Montague Gill-Ceasar, now at San Diego St? . His reasons for leaving , "where I am most comfortable." (Mizzouri)...I wonder what he meant by that?
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

HardingHog

I know there's 5 players on the court at once, but Michael Porter Jr would be a lottery pick in this year's draft. If he went there he'd definitely win them some games by himself. His younger brother isn't half bad either. Add them to an improved Puryear and Jordan Barnett and they will definitely be a threat to just about anyone in the SEC. Not saying they'll suddenly be a top 3 SEC team or in the NCAAT, just that they COULD beat anyone on any given night

Now, saying that, Cuonzo has never really proved he can be a consistently good coach so it could definitely be a Jonny Jones/Ben Simmons deal. Nonetheless, I still wouldn't want to play against Porter

Hog Pharm

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on March 15, 2017, 08:46:11 pm
Cal
Anderson
Barnes
Martin
Johnson -Howland

I don't care nothing about Pearl!! Howland has elite talent on his roster and didn't make the tournament. Those guys for State are athletic and can score.

You could say the same thing about Martin considering the talent he has had.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on March 15, 2017, 08:47:35 pm
Cunzo is not Stan Heath!! 3 stops at major programs.

Stan Has been to the NCAAt more times

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on March 15, 2017, 03:35:28 pm
Great hire for the SEC and great hire for Missouri basketball. That guy can flat out coach and recruit.
what do you base this on?

3kgthog

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on March 15, 2017, 06:49:51 pm
Not every year!! Missouri will have some players. Cunzo is a solid coach. Top 5 in the league as a head coach.

You're out of your dang mind.

onebadrubi

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 15, 2017, 03:22:37 pm
He had 3 McDonald's All Americans on his roster last year and couldn't get out of the first round. He had two this year, and got blown out in the first round of the NIT at home to CSU Bakersfield.

I guess they are hoping he can recruit them out of it. Tennessee ran him off. Cal is happy he is leaving.

Well, neither of the two played in yesterdays game I believe.  so there is that.  But it was leaked yesterday that he was leaving after that game and his team knew.  So that had something to do wtih him coming out flat as well.  He did not have a bad team at cal last year, just had some leave early for the NBA and playing now in teh NBA.  He will make Mizzou better if given a few years.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on March 15, 2017, 08:46:11 pm
Cal
Anderson
Barnes
Martin
Johnson -Howland

You need to take a look at some resumes.

I also think it's funny that you ride for Anderson but you are bagging on Howland for not making the tournament in Year 2? If Howland had elite talent this year, Mike had elite talent in Year 1 and 2 also. Interesting that he gets a pass but Howland doesn't. You preach one thing for one coach but judge another by a different set of standards.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 15, 2017, 09:29:03 pm

I also think it's funny that you ride for Anderson but you are bagging on Howland for not making the tournament in Year 2? If Howland had elite talent this year, Mike had elite talent in Year 1 and 2 also. Interesting that he gets a pass but Howland doesn't. You preach one thing for one coach but judge another by a different set of standards.

We had elite talent when MA got here? Is this sarcasm?

Howland has better talent, but it was green as a gord. I agree it's hard to get down in the guys at this point.

Letsroll1200

Howland had some players on that roster. That team should have at least made the NIT. I watched those guys from State and they have the talent.

I don't care about what they done 10 years ago I'm basing my top 5 on right now. Cunzo always get top flight players yo his program. It starts with recruiting with me.

Hawg Red

Quote from: ShadowHawg on March 15, 2017, 09:34:09 pm
We had elite talent when MA got here? Is this sarcasm?

Howland has better talent, but it was green as a gord. I agree it's hard to get down in the guys at this point.

I said IF Ben Howland had elite talent, so did Mike Anderson. I seem to remember that 2011 class being #6 in the country. Had a fully healthy Marshawn Powell back in Year 2. I don't think either coach truly had real elite talent (only a couple programs do), but I don't think Howland is working with anything too much better than Anderson had. I think they both had solid talent early on. Obviously it's about more than just talent. I'm just pointing out the hypocrisy some people use when comparing coaches.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on March 15, 2017, 09:41:59 pm
Howland had some players on that roster. That team should have at least made the NIT. I watched those guys from State and they have the talent.

I don't care about what they done 10 years ago I'm basing my top 5 on right now. Cunzo always get top flight players yo his program. It starts with recruiting with me.

Mike had some players on his early rosters, too. 2011 class was highly rated.

rude1

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on March 15, 2017, 09:41:59 pm

He has made two NCAA tourneys in his 9 year career, so why hasn't done more with all this talent he gets?

Letsroll1200

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 15, 2017, 09:49:04 pm
Mike had some players on his early rosters, too. 2011 class was highly rated.

Just confirms everybody make mistakes

Letsroll1200

March 15, 2017, 09:55:01 pm #71 Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 09:19:35 am by Letsroll1200
Quote from: rude1 on March 15, 2017, 09:50:06 pm
He has made two NCAA tourneys in his 9 year career, so why hasn't done more with all this talent he gets?

The guy has been trying to rebuild every place he has been. He gets the players to get to the school. I'm just saying he's top 5 in the SEC on his ability to recruit alone. In addition he's a solid coach.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on March 15, 2017, 09:55:01 pm
They guy has been trying to rebuild every place he has been. He gets the players to get to the school. I'm just saying he's top 5 in the SEC on his ability to recruit alone. In addition he's a solid coach.

Then you must have thought Johnny Jones was a top 5 coach in the SEC at some point.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 15, 2017, 09:56:48 pm
Then you must have thought Johnny Jones was a top 5 coach in the SEC at some point.

LOL!! No way

The Boar War

So when is Cuonzo holding his farewell press conference at Berkley?

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 15, 2017, 07:03:25 pm
1. Calipari
2. Anderson
3. Howland
4. Barnes
5. Pearl

There's a coach in Gainesville that maybe should be in that top 5 list.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

The_Iceman

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 17, 2017, 11:13:22 am
There's a coach in Gainesville that maybe should be in that top 5 list.

I'm honestly not sure yet. He has only been there 2 years. He took over an established program with great recent history. Not really a rebuilding job.

He is a good coach, but he isn't proven yet.

Inhogswetrust

Howland's resume' is better than Mike's a little bit. Mike has a very slight better overall win percentage but Howland had made more deeper runs in the tourney. That being said Howland has been a head coach for 6 more years. All in all pretty close for the most part except the deep tourney runs probably gives the edge to Howland.   
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 17, 2017, 11:16:55 am
I'm honestly not sure yet. He has only been there 2 years. He took over an established program with great recent history. Not really a rebuilding job.

He is a good coach, but he isn't proven yet.

That's the reason I said "maybe". He did well at his prior stop though.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: The Boar War on March 17, 2017, 09:03:33 am
So when is Cuonzo holding his farewell press conference at Berkley?

As soon as a certain female reporter from Mizzou tells them when she can be there..........................so they can schedule it secretly at a different time.