Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Predictions--Seton Hall

Started by Razorod, March 17, 2017, 06:07:04 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Razorod

Game day against the Pirates of Seton Hall.

Good vibe, good match-up for Hogs:

Arkansas 78

Seton Hall 70
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

lefty08

Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

hawgdavis

Quote from: Razorod on March 17, 2017, 06:07:04 am
Game day against the Pirates of Seton Hall.

Good vibe, good match-up for Hogs:

Arkansas 78

Seton Hall 70

Kinda what I'm thinking 78-70 to 80-68. I think it's back and forth till around the 10 min mark in the 2nd then they start to wear down and we take control.
I just do t think they have the depth. The only way they get us is if they find a way to keep the tempo slow along with all the TV time outs and I'm sure that's what they will try to do.

holeinthewall

threeNout

Hogs  101

SH  68

Not joking, fresh legs coupled with a chip on shoulder versus a poor 3pt% defense equates to a lot of 3's falling.

This one will get out of hand early, and we'll wear them down late to boot. a lot of fouls and FTs made.

OK, maybe not a 100, but we are going to score some points today.

Biggus Piggus

If Arkansas is the same team it was most of the season, Seton Hall will run a lot of stuff to free shooters for uncontested shots. They will get more open shots than the Razorbacks do, and the game will be a real struggle.

Seton Hall has a monster rebounder to clean up its messes. They can shoot without conscience, knowing they will get back many of their misses.

In conference, Seton Hall played against nothing but shot-denial man defenses. Nobody fouls much in that league. The Pirates did not make a lot of contested outside shots, and they were not outstanding inside either. If they find scoring against the Razorbacks to be easy, it's going to be a long game. Fouling might be the Hogs' best defense, as SH is bad at the line.

Overall, Seton Hall is not a good ballhandling team. They have good athleticism but modest basketball skill and questionable depth.

On defense, Seton Hall's overwhelming strength by far is rebounding. They averaged 75% defensive rebounding in conference play. The only team that good in the SEC was Kentucky.

Mike Anderson could approach this game any of several ways. He could focus on forcing turnovers. Arkansas ranks 35th nationally in steals per possession, while Seton Hall's 299th on the offensive end. That looks like their Achilles heel, other than free throw shooting.

Anderson could focus on trying to hold down Seton Hall's outside shooting. The Pirates have not been good, and Arkansas could gain an advantage by muzzling SH's guards and capitalizing on its own shooting strength.

Anderson could push the Hogs to rebound better. Seton Hall's probably going to miss a lot of shots. On the other end, if the defense is tough Arkansas will miss a good number too.

My guess is that Anderson will try to run up Seton Hall's turnover numbers. That might result in giving the Pirates a lot of uncontested shots. If Arkansas can force turnovers and contest shots from the zone, Seton Hall won't have a lot of answers.

Then on offense, the Hogs need to force Seton Hall to foul. They rely heavily on five players. Can't allow that when you have a 10-man rotation.

Finally, even if the game gets ugly, Arkansas should never give up. Keep Seton Hall moving. Try to wear them down. Even if Kevin Willard comes up with a superior plan, you gotta test how much his players are going to have left in the last 10 minutes of the game.

Feels like a game we can win if we show up at all and do what we should do.
[CENSORED]!

Jackrabbit Hog

Hogs 88, Pirates (Arghhh!!) 82.

A double double for Noah Beasley. 
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Biggus Piggus

The really bad ballhandlers for Seton Hall:

G Madison Jones, turnovers on 27% of possessions. Jones (ex-Wake Forest, got booted for a DUI) was a horrifyingly poor ballhandler for three years. In conference games his turnover rate was 30%. He plays for defense. Force him to the bench, and Arkansas makes Seton Hall's rotation difficult. Freshman G Myles Powell is a far better ballhandler and scorer, but he's not much on defense.

F Ismael Sanogo, 28% turnover rate. He was a starter for the first two-thirds of the season, when the Pirates compiled a 13-8 record. With him coming off the bench, SH has been 8-3. Sanogo still plays, because he is a junior and the team has little depth.

F Michael Nzei, 23% turnover rate. Nzei is a sophomore who replaced Sanogo in the starting lineup. He averaged fewer than two turnovers per game in conference play, still a 26% TO rate.

The poor free throw shooters:

50% (19-38) Sanogo
55% (105-191) F Angel Delgado, the starting low post + great rebounder.
58% (33-57) Nzei
66% (84-128) F Desi Rodriguez
[CENSORED]!

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on March 17, 2017, 07:28:01 am
The really bad ballhandlers for Seton Hall:

G Madison Jones, turnovers on 27% of possessions. Jones (ex-Wake Forest, got booted for a DUI) was a horrifyingly poor ballhandler for three years. In conference games his turnover rate was 30%. He plays for defense. Force him to the bench, and Arkansas makes Seton Hall's rotation difficult. Freshman G Myles Powell is a far better ballhandler and scorer, but he's not much on defense.

F Ismael Sanogo, 28% turnover rate. He was a starter for the first two-thirds of the season, when the Pirates compiled a 13-8 record. With him coming off the bench, SH has been 8-3. Sanogo still plays, because he is a junior and the team has little depth.

F Michael Nzei, 23% turnover rate. Nzei is a sophomore who replaced Sanogo in the starting lineup. He averaged fewer than two turnovers per game in conference play, still a 26% TO rate.

The poor free throw shooters:

50% (19-38) Sanogo
55% (105-191) F Angel Delgado, the starting low post + great rebounder.
58% (33-57) Nzei
66% (84-128) F Desi Rodriguez

Ismael Sanogo, Michael Nzei, Angel Delgado, Desi Rodriguez. 

Are we playing Seton Hall or the Mexican national team?
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on March 17, 2017, 07:31:13 am
Ismael Sanogo, Michael Nzei, Angel Delgado, Desi Rodriguez. 

Are we playing Seton Hall or the Mexican national team?

Nzei is from Nigeria. Sanogo was born in what was known then as Ivory Coast (they now go by the Frenchie version, Côte d'Ivoire). Delgado is from the Dominican Republic.
[CENSORED]!

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on March 17, 2017, 07:34:01 am
Nzei is from Nigeria. Sanogo was born in what was known then as Ivory Coast (they now go by the Frenchie version, Côte d'Ivoire). Delgado is from the Dominican Republic.

I hate the French.   More reason to kick their butts today.

Hawg Red

82-73 Bad Guys (the Hogs).  :razorback:

Barford will get in at least one Pirate's face and that Pirate will shick his pants. I also predict that Mike Anderson will be better dressed than Kevin Willard.

lynbug

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on March 17, 2017, 07:18:24 am
If Arkansas is the same team it was most of the season, Seton Hall will run a lot of stuff to free shooters for uncontested shots. They will get more open shots than the Razorbacks do, and the game will be a real struggle.

Seton Hall has a monster rebounder to clean up its messes. They can shoot without conscience, knowing they will get back many of their misses.

In conference, Seton Hall played against nothing but shot-denial man defenses. Nobody fouls much in that league. The Pirates did not make a lot of contested outside shots, and they were not outstanding inside either. If they find scoring against the Razorbacks to be easy, it's going to be a long game. Fouling might be the Hogs' best defense, as SH is bad at the line.

Overall, Seton Hall is not a good ballhandling team. They have good athleticism but modest basketball skill and questionable depth.

On defense, Seton Hall's overwhelming strength by far is rebounding. They averaged 75% defensive rebounding in conference play. The only team that good in the SEC was Kentucky.

Mike Anderson could approach this game any of several ways. He could focus on forcing turnovers. Arkansas ranks 35th nationally in steals per possession, while Seton Hall's 299th on the offensive end. That looks like their Achilles heel, other than free throw shooting.

Anderson could focus on trying to hold down Seton Hall's outside shooting. The Pirates have not been good, and Arkansas could gain an advantage by muzzling SH's guards and capitalizing on its own shooting strength.

Anderson could push the Hogs to rebound better. Seton Hall's probably going to miss a lot of shots. On the other end, if the defense is tough Arkansas will miss a good number too.

My guess is that Anderson will try to run up Seton Hall's turnover numbers. That might result in giving the Pirates a lot of uncontested shots. If Arkansas can force turnovers and contest shots from the zone, Seton Hall won't have a lot of answers.

Then on offense, the Hogs need to force Seton Hall to foul. They rely heavily on five players. Can't allow that when you have a 10-man rotation.

Finally, even if the game gets ugly, Arkansas should never give up. Keep Seton Hall moving. Try to wear them down. Even if Kevin Willard comes up with a superior plan, you gotta test how much his players are going to have left in the last 10 minutes of the game.

If MA does half as much scouting and analyzing as you did....?Arkansas might have a chance.  Thanks for the info by the way

lynbug

I think we'll probably have to win with guard play.  Forget about Moses having a banner day.

Atlhogfan1

Hogs win. Too much depth, offensive options, Barford will draw fouls which will cause SH to go to bench. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Little Lady Back

#NolanRichardsonCourt

RagingHawgOn

I look for Macon to have a big game. He flat-out balled against KY, looked so smooth.

We should win, my guess is by 8-10.

We sure as hell better play fundamentally sound, though. Put a damn body on someone when a shot goes up!

King Kong

March 17, 2017, 08:24:56 am #17 Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 08:55:05 am by King Kong
I'm concerned about there defense and how hard they hit the offensive glass.

If Seton Hall can do those things well. We will fortunate to come out with a win

The OTR

72-68 Arkansas...if we get behind I expect Moses and Dusty to start their rough house tactics to send a message and get us back into the game.

ATLHog

solitons

threeNout

Hannahs, Barford and Macon are all gonna see Dickie V's mouth right in the center of the hoop and they're gonna be feeding him all day.

Some kind of Nolan era record concerning points or 3s in the tourney may get broken today.

sorry guys, I'm just pumped.

threeNout

Mike Anderson could approach this game any of several ways.

agreed, but I think we'll see his version of Hawgball in it's purest form. We'll pick-em up off the bus, force the tempo and rotate early.

If the shots aren't falling, we should still be in in +/- 4 pt range at half, and poised to wear them down the the 2nd.

If the shots are falling, I think we'll bury them. 

rljjr

Vegas has this a one point game for a reason. It's going to be a dogfight. Hogs 77-74.

XavierZane

Hannahs and Moses play angry and with purpose, Hogs win. 90 - 79   :razorback:

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Hogginintheville

nchogg

Hogs just win! :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

sowmonella

72 is the magic number. We score 72 or more we win today.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

ShadowHawg

Seton Hall is very one on one oriented on offense. They will try to get Delgado on the block early in possessions but tend not to return to him if he isn't immediately open.

They have 2 big guards who will dunk all over you if given a chance, but they aren't crafty about finishing around the rim. Streaky at three point line.

We will get open looks as they are unremarkable on the defensive end. Don't take that to mean they are bad defensively, but we should end up with quality looks at times.

I think the game starts raggedy with them running out to a 10 point lead during the first half and we trail by 6 going into the locker room.

Moses establishes himself on offense early in the 2nd half. We take a lead about the 12 minute mark and it's tight rest of the way. We will go to the zone down the stretch with both TT and Moses. TT will body Delgado while Moses alters or blocks several key shot attempts. We close at the ft line while they struggle shooting freebies.

We win by 5

daprospecta

This exactly.  This is a very winnable game.  Next round, who knows but today, we can win.

BDSCT51

Tight early, our usual 5 minute lapse in the first half. Pirates up 6 at half. Piggies revert to what we have seen lately with a strong performance out of halftime, defense and depth wear em down. We win going away 82 - 69.

Be careful Light Blue, we've got a repeat date with the wimps from UK in our very near future...............................................
Bleeding Razorback Red

hogcard1964

We contain their inside game.

Hogs win pretty comfortably.

Hogs-75
SH-66

lynbug

Quote from: ShadowHawg on March 17, 2017, 09:57:28 am
Seton Hall is very one on one oriented on offense. They will try to get Delgado on the block early in possessions but tend not to return to him if he isn't immediately open.

They have 2 big guards who will dunk all over you if given a chance, but they aren't crafty about finishing around the rim. Streaky at three point line.

We will get open looks as they are unremarkable on the defensive end. Don't take that to mean they are bad defensively, but we should end up with quality looks at times.

I think the game starts raggedy with them running out to a 10 point lead during the first half and we trail by 6 going into the locker room.

Moses establishes himself on offense early in the 2nd half. We take a lead about the 12 minute mark and it's tight rest of the way. We will go to the zone down the stretch with both TT and Moses. TT will body Delgado while Moses alters or blocks several key shot attempts. We close at the ft line while they struggle shooting freebies.

We win by 5
Hogsanity being the optimist....I like it.  I'm about to switch gears myself....from realist to optimist.  Hope it works.

Dugann

Arkansas 82 Seton Hall 73 :razorback:
By Gosh He Didn't Come Back To PAINT!!!!

ishankem

Could go either way, winner will win by 1

code red

73-64 Pirates slow us down we shoot like garbage...I hope I am wrong.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

lumphog

Quote from: threeNout on March 17, 2017, 08:55:18 am
Hannahs, Barford and Macon are all gonna see Dickie V's mouth right in the center of the hoop and they're gonna be feeding him all day.

Some kind of Nolan era record concerning points or 3s in the tourney may get broken today.

sorry guys, I'm just pumped.

Big Blue DialDoes ???

Dudeman

They are up at halftime by 12 and we come back and win it by 7 or 8. 73 to 65 Hogs.
Abstinence is the sincerest form of frustration.

You can't have half holes or partial holes because all holes are whole holes.

The real Hogules

If we score 75+ we win, if we score 65- we lose and 66 through 74 is a toss up.
Hopefully our team will come out loose on offense and fight for every rebound on both ends of the court. We are every bit as talented and much deeper than SH. I expect the team that hustles the most on both ends of the court to win the game.
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

BigE_23

I don't like this matchup for us...they're playing good basketball and are very strong in the front court. They attack the glass and take care of the ball. The keys to the game for me are the free throw line and how well we rebound and take care of the ball.

FineAsSwine

HogFoo

Hogs  ---------86-
S.Hall ---------72-
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

bphi11ips

I think the answer depends entirely upon whether Dusty Hannahs and Daryl Macon hit threes. If we shoot 46% or better we win. If not, we lose.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Pigsknuckles

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on March 17, 2017, 07:26:46 am
Hogs 88, Pirates (Arghhh!!) 82.

A double double for Noah Beasley. 

#smack :)
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

sowmonella

Quote from: sowmonella on March 17, 2017, 09:39:06 am
72 is the magic number. We score 72 or more we win today.
I knew it.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

Dwillhog66

Quote from: lynbug on March 17, 2017, 07:51:39 am
I think we'll probably have to win with guard play.  Forget about Moses having a banner day.

Man, how wrong can a guess be, lol

TheRazorback500

Had to work until now-couldn't get on to make a prediction...

Dad gum good to get the win!!

:razorback:
Do you wanna get Rocked?

bob slydell

Quote from: ATLHog on March 17, 2017, 08:36:01 am
Hogs 77
Hall Of Seton 71

You might want to plan a trip to Vegas very soon.
*this is not a criticism of moderatin.

ATLHog

Quote from: Bob Slydell on March 17, 2017, 02:52:37 pm
You might want to plan a trip to Vegas very soon.
Definitely playing the lottery tonight