Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Interesting recruiting story

Started by mizzouman, March 17, 2017, 08:07:34 am

Previous topic - Next topic

mizzouman

Mods, please move to SEC or recruiting forum if needed.

Interesting recruiting story. 

Not sure if you know but Jon Sundvold's recruiting had a little Arkansas flavor that I was not aware of.

Sundvold was a highly recruited kid out of Blue Springs, MO.  He was down to 3 schools, Texas, Arkansas and Missouri.  He was torn between the 3 but his dad gave him some advice and that was this.  'Don't think about your 4 years there because it doesn't really matter.  All 3 schools will treat you right while you're there so think about after you leave and where you will eventually end up living.' 

Sundvold quickly scratched off Texas so it came down to Missouri and Arkansas.

On a recruiting trip to Fayetteville, Sundvold was able to sit behind the bench and watch Sidney Moncrief very closely.  After the game, Moncrief, who didn't know Sundvold was there, was signing autographs for kids.  Moncrief blurted out, 'It's great to play for your home state school.'  That, basically convince Sundvold to stay in Missouri.

The very next day, he got on the phone to Steve Stipanovich, another high school senior who was about to sign with Notre Dame and told him he was going to Missouri and he should too.  They can make some history as local kids.  Four years later, four Big 8 Championships, All Americans and both first round draft picks, they did make some history.

So, you can blame Moncrief for an All American not going to Arkansas.  

hogcam

Good story.  I never blame a kid for staying home and playing for his state.  :razorback:

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: hogcam on March 17, 2017, 08:12:43 am
Good story.  I never blame a kid for staying home and playing for his state.  :razorback:

I never hold anything against them going where they want to out of state as long as they handle it in a dignified and respectful manner.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: mizzouman on March 17, 2017, 08:07:34 am

The very next day, he got on the phone to Steve Stipanovich, another high school senior who was about to sign with Notre Dame and told him he was going to Missouri and he should too.  They can make some history as local kids.  Four years later, four Big 8 Championships, All Americans and both first round draft picks, they did make some history.

And all those Final Fours they went to together.... oops.     ;)
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

mizzouman

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on March 17, 2017, 08:23:59 am
And all those Final Fours they went to together.... oops.     ;)
That's another story, haha.

mizzouman

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 17, 2017, 08:18:39 am
I never hold anything against them going where they want to out of state as long as they handle it in a dignified and respectful manner.
I heard this story on STL radio yesterday when he was asked about Cuonzo being hired and his role in it.  He was ask on how he would sell a recruit.  This is how this story came out.

This is why Sundvold has always been very complimentary to Arkansas, when he can be.

mizzouman

He has had several long discussions with Sankey and basically Missoui was brought in because of hoops not football as we probably all know.  However, with Kim Anderson at the helm, it hasn't worked out.  Sundvold believe with Cuonzo, it will.  Right fit at the right time as he says.

Sundvold basically said that the SEC has Kentucky and basically Florida.  But REALLY needs Tenner, Arkansas and Mizzou going dancing every year.  Kentucky, Arkansas and Missouri have very passionate basketball fans and the SEC really needs that to shine per Sundvold.

Very enlightening interview.

Jackrabbit Hog

Of all the SEC basketball analysts on TV, Sundvold is the most polished.  I've never had a beef with him.
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

mizzouman

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on March 17, 2017, 08:54:10 am
Of all the SEC basketball analysts on TV, Sundvold is the most polished.  I've never had a beef with him.
He can be a bit dry but he knows his stuff.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: mizzouman on March 17, 2017, 10:22:20 am
He can be a bit dry but he knows his stuff.

Give him some time with "the Shootah" in the studio.  That'll rub the dry right off of him.