Missouri is hiring Cuonzo Martin?

Started by Biggus Piggus, March 15, 2017, 03:17:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Biggus Piggus

[CENSORED]!

hawginbigd1

I bet Marcus Lee will love that LOL!

The_Iceman

He had 3 McDonald's All Americans on his roster last year and couldn't get out of the first round. He had two this year, and got blown out in the first round of the NIT at home to CSU Bakersfield.

I guess they are hoping he can recruit them out of it. Tennessee ran him off. Cal is happy he is leaving.

ShadowHawg

Breems

Interesting that they're offering that much dough.

He's hopped around so quickly it's hard to get a read on whether he can build a program. He has 1 Sweet 16 to his name thanks to Jarnell Stokes and that's it.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

Hawg Red

Love that for the Hogs outside of him probably beating us out for some recruits in the region. He's parlayed a lucky draw in 2014 into two high-major jobs. Amazing.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Breems on March 15, 2017, 03:26:55 pm

He's hopped around so quickly it's hard to get a read on whether he can build a program. He has 1 Sweet 16 to his name thanks to Jarnell Stokes and that's it.

This would put the head Hog's pay squarely in the middle of the SEC if true.

Letsroll1200

Great hire for the SEC and great hire for Missouri basketball. That guy can flat out coach and recruit.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 15, 2017, 03:34:01 pm
Love that for the Hogs outside of him probably beating us out for some recruits in the region. He's parlayed a lucky draw in 2014 into two high-major jobs. Amazing.

We have almost all of our scholarships locked down until the 2020 class. 2017, 2018, 2019 almost all full.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on March 15, 2017, 03:35:28 pm
Great hire for the SEC and great hire for Missouri basketball. That guy can flat out coach and recruit.

Coach?

Letsroll1200

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 15, 2017, 03:36:34 pm
Coach?

Very solid head coach! The Missouri and Arkansas games are going to be a dogfight. He will have Missouri basketball back rolling in 3 or 4 years.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Hawg Red

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 15, 2017, 03:36:12 pm
We have almost all of our scholarships locked down until the 2020 class. 2017, 2018, 2019 almost all full.

True. But I bet he's done enough to hang around in 2020. If we're centering our classes on Arkansas kids, though, it won't matter.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on March 15, 2017, 03:39:12 pm
He's doing something right!!

Where do you think he is if Tennessee doesn't escape with an OT victory in the play-in game vs Iowa in 2014 to get one of the most over-seeded teams in recent memory in UMass as a 6 seed and then get 14 seed Mercer in the 2nd round after they blew their wad knocking off Duke? The answer is probably back in the Missouri Valley Conference. Had two 5-star players last year and did not win a tournament game. He's a fraud. Cal lost 7 of their last 10 games this season.

The_Iceman

One thing this will mean for sure....

Mike Anderson is about to get a raise.

Paul

My impression of him is:  great recruiter, good guy, not so good bench coach.  Remember 40,000 UT fans signed a petition asking him to be fired before he made the Sweet 16.  After the 2015-16 season 3500 people signed a petition asking that he be retained at Cal.  So if nothing else, he stirs up a lot of emotion.   

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 15, 2017, 03:22:37 pm
He had 3 McDonald's All Americans on his roster last year and couldn't get out of the first round. He had two this year, and got blown out in the first round of the NIT at home to CSU Bakersfield.

I guess they are hoping he can recruit them out of it. Tennessee ran him off. Cal is happy he is leaving.

You didn't say Rabb and Bird weren't available for the NIT game.  Doubt they get blown out had they been in and effective. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Hawg Red

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 15, 2017, 03:48:47 pm
One thing this will mean for sure....

Mike Anderson is about to get a raise.

100%.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 15, 2017, 03:46:43 pm
Where do you think he is if Tennessee doesn't escape with an OT victory in the play-in game vs Iowa in 2014 to get one of the most over-seeded teams in recent memory in UMass as a 6 seed and then get 14 seed Mercer in the 2nd round after they blew their wad knocking off Duke? The answer is probably back in the Missouri Valley Conference. Had two 5-star players last year and did not win a tournament game. He's a fraud. Cal lost 7 of their last 10 games this season.

Sometimes fit matters. I think Cunzo did not fit in the Pac 12. He signed a kid by the name of Charlie Moore last season out of Chicago. They guy is going to get players and they are going to be a problem for us. I wish Cunzo Martin would have went to Illinois. He can recruit!! Recruiting is 75% of the battle.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 15, 2017, 03:50:17 pm
You didn't say Rabb and Bird weren't available for the NIT game.  Doubt they get blown out had they been in and effective.

They still lose 6 of 9 to end the year if you take out the NIT game.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on March 15, 2017, 03:51:29 pm
Sometimes fit matters. I think Cunzo did not fit in the Pac 12. He signed a kid by the name of Charlie Moore last season out of Chicago. They guy is going to get players and they are going to be a problem for us. I wish Cunzo Martin would have went to Illinois. He can recruit!! Recruiting is 75% of the battle.

He will get players, no doubt. But he still had talent at Cal and couldn't coach it to success. I'm not sure how you can claim he's a good coach with any kind of authority. All you can point to is the 2014 Sweet 16, which I pointed out was a very lucky draw.

tigers68

Don't be suprised when Lorenzo Romar is fired at UW, and Michael Porter Jr. ends up at Mizzou, along with his brother Jontay.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 15, 2017, 03:52:18 pm
They still lose 6 of 9 to end the year if you take out the NIT game.

Ok.  Just looked up what happened in the NIT and discovered they were without them.  Not taking up for Martin in any way.

This seems to be a recruiting ploy.  I'm not digging into the connections but guessing this is to get certain recruits to Mizzou that they have been dreaming about - the Porters and the kid who signed with Illinois.  They are hoping this starts a trend.  Got to start somewhere I guess in rebuilding. 

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 15, 2017, 03:41:15 pm
True. But I bet he's done enough to hang around in 2020. If we're centering our classes on Arkansas kids, though, it won't matter.

If we aren't winning big enough to pull recruits away from Martin by 2020, MA will have bigger problems than Martin.

Stokes is the only guy I remember him getting. Stokes was from Memphis and his older brother was already attending UT.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Is he going to do better than Kim Anderson?  Sure.  Will raising Missouri up benefit the entire SEC?  Of course.

It's just the pay does not fit the resume, not even close.  I bet Cuonzo was on their list but also on IL's.  As a St. Louis guy he would be a fit at either.  Most schools would do some due diligence but wait and see how tourney played out and figure out who is really available.  But Missouri got worried because IL was giving Martin a sniff as well.  Being afraid that after all is said and done they might be left with some John Pelphrey they overpaid Martin to lock him up. Every decent coach in the SEC should benefit from this but it's not their fault.  Blame Missouri for overpaying to begin with.

Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Hawg Red

Quote from: ShadowHawg on March 15, 2017, 03:55:40 pm
If we aren't winning big enough to pull recruits away from Martin by 2020, MA will have bigger problems than Martin.

Stokes is the only guy I remember him getting. Stokes was from Memphis and his older brother was already attending UT.

He'll get kids out of STL/KC/Illinois is my point. We sometimes go after those kids. I just want our staff to keep the best Arkansas kids and I trust them to find good system fits that have slipped through the cracks outside the state. This is a good hire for the Hogs, though I suppose if he's going to success anywhere, it'd be somewhere like Mizzou due to his roots. But, again, I just don't think he's a strong coach. We'll see.

Atlhogfan1

Mizzou overpaying should help coaches who have leverage ie can and would threaten to go elsewhere to a job for more money.  That isn't us.  Now we should consider giving a raise for a successful season, program appearing on the right track and to show stability to recruits.  With the market value being raised, it would be the right thing to do too. 

Atlhogfan1

We aren't going to go against Martin with any regularity.  The recruiting m.o. isn't changing here.  Arkansas kids, kids with ties to the staff or state, underrecruited athletes(Qualls, Jones) whose best offer is Arkansas with or without ties, JC recruits to fill holes, transfers. 

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 15, 2017, 04:02:27 pm
Mizzou overpaying should help coaches who have leverage ie can and would threaten to go elsewhere to a job for more money.  That isn't us.  Now we should consider giving a raise for a successful season, program appearing on the right track and to show stability to recruits.  With the market value being raised, it would be the right thing to do too.

No kidding. If Martin commands that kind of cash to move, then what does it take to dislodge a successful P5 coach? 4 million?

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: ShadowHawg on March 15, 2017, 04:07:26 pm
No kidding. If Martin commands that kind of cash to move, then what does it take to dislodge a successful P5 coach? 4 million?

Thought I saw he was getting 7 years too.  I guess it is about the coach's motivation and what they see in an opportunity.  Can't make Illinois happy though as they may end up paying more. 

The_Iceman

He was brought in to recruit the hell out his area. They are going to hire every assistant and family member they can to try and rebuild their crappy roster asap.

Mizzou was desperate and we will see if it pays off for them.

elksnort

rude1

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on March 15, 2017, 03:51:29 pm
No doubt he can recruit, but what has he won with them in his entire career? He is good at the 75% recruiting but hasn't shown to be anything special in the other 25% assembling that talent into a team to be reckoned with.

azhog10

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 15, 2017, 03:50:17 pm
Doubt they get blown out had they been in and effective.
I doubt any team gets blown out if their best players had been "effective". But yes, not playing at all makes it hard to be much use at all.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: azhog10 on March 15, 2017, 04:23:24 pm
I doubt any team gets blown out if their best players had been "effective". But yes, not playing at all makes it hard to be much use at all.

Hi stalker.  By effective I meant healthy enough to have played at their normal levels. 

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Breems on March 15, 2017, 03:26:55 pm

Heck even IF the didn't get an actual raise from what he makes at Cal he would get one because of the lower cost of living! Berkeley is a super expensive place to live.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

azhog10

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 15, 2017, 04:24:37 pm
Hi stalker.  By effective I meant healthy enough to have played at their normal levels.
Don't flatter yourself. Just love the "Captain Obvious" type of posts from people. IF you think you are getting special attention I guess you can join the club that feels that way, my groupies are in the back.

King Kong

He is an ok coach at best.

But all things considered a good hire for Mizz

thebignasty

I thought Mizzou was going to get Gregg Marshall?!?!?
Quote from: IronHog on March 22, 2016, 02:08:54 pm
They shoot family in Bama
But they win
Quote from: nuttless hog on January 13, 2021, 04:03:02 pm
take me almost all day to get it up to ride it 5 minutes

sickboy

Martin's a good coach. I agree, it's hard to see if he knows how to build a program, as he's been jumping around so much. But he'll improve that program.

hobhog

The Boar War

Quote from: thebignasty on March 15, 2017, 04:50:38 pm
I thought Mizzou was going to get Gregg Marshall?!?!?

No.  It was Tom Crean.  He was going to leave Indiana to take his dream job at Mizzou.

The final line in the article says it all:  "Here's to hoping.".

Inhogswetrust

If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Hawg Red

It sounds like younger brother Jontay will reclassify to 2017 to play with Michael Jr. But Martin is likely to have them for one year. It will help no question, but I still think the NIT is their ceiling just given all the newest and no winning culture among everyone involved.

mizzouman

LR_Matt

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on March 15, 2017, 03:38:44 pm
Very solid head coach! The Missouri and Arkansas games are going to be a dogfight. He will have Missouri basketball back rolling in 3 or 4 years.

Does that mean we lose to them every year now? Or just this year?

Letsroll1200

Quote from: LR_Matt on March 15, 2017, 06:46:29 pm
Does that mean we lose to them every year now? Or just this year?

Not every year!! Missouri will have some players. Cunzo is a solid coach. Top 5 in the league as a head coach.