Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Not a rhetorical question—why did the Monk family move to Bentonville?

Started by Mo_Better_Hogs, March 15, 2017, 01:41:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mo_Better_Hogs

To clarify, I'm not looking for "so when he flipped the bird at the University of Arkansas, we'd see it clearer...or, just to twist the knife a little more." (Although these may indeed be true.)

I'm curious. And wondering if there's a simple, universally-understood answer. I haven't lived in NW Ark in a long time, so I don't know.

RagingHawgOn

I've wondered the same.  Seems I heard stories about his Mom getting a job up there, arranged by Marcus or something like that. But, I have zero actual knowledge and would love to hear.

AFWarrior83

My guess would be to play against better competition, and also to have a shot at the state high school championship.
Hogville member since 2005.

Inhogswetrust

I'm guessing you've never been to Lepanto. 99.% of people would move from there to Bentonville if given an opportunity.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Stewhog 11

Quote from: RagingHawgOn on March 15, 2017, 01:48:45 pm
I've wondered the same.  Seems I heard stories about his Mom getting a job up there, arranged by Marcus or something like that. But, I have zero actual knowledge and would love to hear.

His mother was given a job for the Bentonville School District.

Mo_Better_Hogs

Quote from: Stewhog 11 on March 15, 2017, 01:56:15 pm

Well, how con-veeeeenient. Seriously, I know this happens. As Warrior said above, I'd assume there were several advantages of being in (playing in) Bentonville. Bigger school, which means more notable. Yeah, better competition.

So, the proximity to the U of A was just incidental? They could just as well have moved to one of the bigger Little Rock schools?

lynbug

And are we pretending that the U of A had nothing to do with facilitating the whole thing?  Not saying we did anything illegal....but I just think there was an assumption of a Monk/Razorback connection.

Marcus was still a GA and the Monk family was being told by everyone they needed leave lepanto to help Malik's career. The staff at Arkansas let Marcus know that they'd like Malik as close as possible and Bentonville was currently the best school district in NWA.

Remember thinking that the move basically cemented him being a Hog. A lot of people were afraid a move from lepanto was potentially to Prep school which would have had meant the opposite. Its a curious move in hindsight. Makes you think his plan was to be a Hog at the time.

Mo_Better_Hogs

jkstock04

I've wondered this too. Nobody of course has ever really just come and spit it all out...but reading between the lines sounds like your classic 5* recruit situation.

Family was set up nicely per agreement/assumption he would sign with the Hogs. Thus all the vitriol ever since he didn't. Reading between the lines that's what people are saying.

Tons and tons of irony with the whole situation if you ask me.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Dwight_K_Shrute

The move out of Lepanto and to NWA could indeed have been made by UA staff but with nothing illegal about it.  Just hey you should really get out of that s-hole and NWA has a lot of opportunities which it does.

Without a word from UA staff any school district up here would have probably made the same move if able to legally do so with the hopes of getting Monk on campus for a couple years.  The national exposure is invaluable.  I'm not saying this had anything to do with it, but Asa's grandson also played for Bentonville. 

IMO if there was any stringing along, gaming the system, or playing people it was by Marcus.  That's just my opinion.  Once he got it into his head that he wanted to be an agent or "business man" going to Kentucky probably appeared to be better for the brand.  I'm sure he used the hope of Malik going to UofA as leverage to help open doors for himself with people in NWA.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

HogFansReunited

He grew up wanting to be a hog.  His family wanted him to be a hog as well except one person in particular.  That person pushed him to Kentucky for his own personal gain.  It will eventually come to light that Marcus has been acting as his agent for a while now.  A lot of people in his own family are pissed at him.
My girl told me to whisper something sexy in her ear...so I leaned in and said....Dominic Fletcher.

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pm
Remember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!

Member #3568

hogsanity

Quote from: 87017 on March 15, 2017, 02:08:12 pm
Marcus was still a GA and the Monk family was being told by everyone they needed leave lepanto to help Malik's career. The staff at Arkansas let Marcus know that they'd like Malik as close as possible and Bentonville was currently the best school district in NWA.

Remember thinking that the move basically cemented him being a Hog. A lot of people were afraid a move from lepanto was potentially to Prep school which would have had meant the opposite. Its a curious move in hindsight. Makes you think his plan was to be a Hog at the time.

OR he saw he could use the situation to help his mom. A job in the Bentonville School district is likely better than any job in Lepanto.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Sow Lancelot

Quote from: Mo_Better_Hogs on March 15, 2017, 01:41:48 pm
To clarify, I'm not looking for "so when he flipped the bird at the University of Arkansas,-Fayetteville we'd see it clearer...or, just to twist the knife a little more." (Although these may indeed be true.)

I'm curious. And wondering if there's a simple, universally-understood answer. I haven't lived in NW Ark in a long time, so I don't know.
FIFY. Gotta fall in line by using the newly-approved moniker. 😜
"Nec vitia nostra nec remedium tolerare possumus." Livy
Nihil boni sine labore, sic vis pacem, para bellum.

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on March 15, 2017, 02:20:34 pm
The move out of Lepanto and to NWA could indeed have been made by UA staff but with nothing illegal about it.  Just hey you should really get out of that s-hole and NWA has a lot of opportunities which it does.

Without a word from UA staff any school district up here would have probably made the same move if able to legally do so with the hopes of getting Monk on campus for a couple years.  The national exposure is invaluable.  I'm not saying this had anything to do with it, but Asa's grandson also played for Bentonville. 

IMO if there was any stringing along, gaming the system, or playing people it was by Marcus.  That's just my opinion.  Once he got it into his head that he wanted to be an agent or "business man" going to Kentucky probably appeared to be better for the brand.  I'm sure he used the hope of Malik going to UofA as leverage to help open doors for himself with people in NWA.

Agreed, there wasn't any foul play in Malik moving to Bentonville. A move was inevitable and every option was better than Lepanto.

Take it with a grain of salt, but Ive been told the sentiment within the Arkansas staff is that if Marcus had not been hired as a GA Malik would be a Hog. Might be him pursuing Kentucky players/connections or maybe Marcus thought the program was in poor shape. Hopefully more information will come to light in the future

Quote from: hogsanity on March 15, 2017, 02:28:05 pm
OR he saw he could use the situation to help his mom. A job in the Bentonville School district is likely better than any job in Lepanto.

What you are implying would be illegal. Not saying it doesn't happen in NCAA recruiting situations. But not the case in this particular situation.

lynbug

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on March 15, 2017, 02:20:34 pm

that's my opinion too

root_hawg

Also a call from the Uof A to Fayetteville HS probably would have gotten his mom a job as well. .... Who knows?

MountieDawg

Quote from: Mo_Better_Hogs on March 15, 2017, 01:41:48 pm
To clarify, I'm not looking for "so when he flipped the bird at the University of Arkansas, we'd see it clearer...or, just to twist the knife a little more." (Although these may indeed be true.)

Spend 5 minutes in Bentonville, 5 minutes in Lepanto... Look at what the schools have to offer then your question become rhetorical.
SEC!

MountieDawg

Just to be clear, his mom does not work for Walmart or the Bentonville School district... She actually works in an elderly care facility.  Rumors become facts when 5 people guess what happened.  These are the facts. 
SEC!

Mo_Better_Hogs

Quote from: MountieDawg on March 15, 2017, 02:50:03 pm
Spend 5 minutes in Bentonville, 5 minutes in Lepanto... Look at what the schools have to offer then your question become rhetorical.

Well then, why doesn't everyone pack up and move to Bentonville? I know that museeeum sure is purdy.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: MountieDawg on March 15, 2017, 02:53:45 pm
Just to be clear, his mom does not work for Walmart or the Bentonville School district... She actually works in an elderly care facility.  Rumors become facts when 5 people guess what happened.  These are the facts.

If she is a nurse she can pick wherever she wants to work.

Even if she isn't, elderly care is growing a lot as the baby boomers move into that age bracket. Not really hard to find a job in this field.

hogsanity

Quote from: Mo_Better_Hogs on March 15, 2017, 03:23:11 pm
Well then, why doesn't everyone pack up and move to Bentonville? I know that museeeum sure is purdy.

Some cant, and some do not want to.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Mo_Better_Hogs

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: Mo_Better_Hogs on March 15, 2017, 03:23:11 pm

Because we don't take just anyone.  If it were that easy we would have 3 million people living in NWA. 
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

HogFansReunited

Quote from: Rock City Razorback on March 15, 2017, 02:50:16 pm
So sad, really. For someone who donned the Cardinal and White and become a really popular player, then to have also laced it up on the hardwood to just turn his back on his alma mater is sickening. Does he really think he's going to end up being some big shot agent just because his brother played at the NBA factory? Guys are going to go with reputable agents that have been doing it for years! Especially when you look at someone who does that to their own school. How could you trust an agent to have what's best for you? It's a shame. Hogs could have made a deeper run in the tourney, he still would have been a freshman all-American, and would have gone down as a legend here, which would have only helped Marcus. I don't see how he honestly thinks going to UK would benefit him more? People riding family coattails never works out as is a bad look. Just look at the Ball situation going on right now! Dear ole dad calling out MJ and wanting a BILLION dollar shoe deal, along with selling merchandise, all while the kids are still AMATEURS and can't play defense worth a lick! SCREW THE MONKS!!

From what I have been told by people in his family, Marcus has already been signed as an agent for several other Kentucky players.  I really hope Kentucky burns for this along with Marcus.  At the very least, Kentucky should be forced to forfeit all wins this year since they have players that have an agent.
My girl told me to whisper something sexy in her ear...so I leaned in and said....Dominic Fletcher.

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pm
Remember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!

Member #3568

longtimeHogfan

I just hope he takes  his lottery ticket and flames out in the NBA
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

Hoggish1

Not a bad way to recruit players, don't 'ya think?

Wow, Marcus actually does his job and doesn't hurt his brother at the same time and he gets drilled here.  Because we fans, at least some of us, get all pissed off cause it wasn't what we wanted for ourselves.  Many sound like the 4 year old spoiled Brat who is hanging around his Momma's leg in the grocery store screaming at the top of his lungs cause the sack of candy he got was smaller than the one he wanted.

When I owned a small business, I had employees moving on from time to time.  Often I would be approached to match an offer they had been made.  Sometimes I could and would.  Other times I told them this:  You have to feed your family, not me.  You owe it to yourself to do what you believe is best for your family and yourself.  I wish you the best.  I would add:  I believe you do owe this company, my company the respect of not just walking off and leaving us in a bind.  Please give us a reasonable notice.  As long as you do not intenti0nally try and hurt us, you will be treated with respect and fairness.  I never blamed anyone for trying to better themselves, even if it wasn't always in my best interest.

IronMountainHog

[/quote]
Quote from: 12247 on March 15, 2017, 05:40:10 pm
Wow, Marcus actually does his job and doesn't hurt his brother at the same time and he gets drilled here.  Because we fans, at least some of us, get all pissed off cause it wasn't what we wanted for ourselves.  Many sound like the 4 year old spoiled Brat who is hanging around his Momma's leg in the grocery store screaming at the top of his lungs cause the sack of candy he got was smaller than the one he wanted.

When I owned a small business, I had employees moving on from time to time.  Often I would be approached to match an offer they had been made.  Sometimes I could and would.  Other times I told them this:  You have to feed your family, not me.  You owe it to yourself to do what you believe is best for your family and yourself.  I wish you the best.  I would add:  I believe you do owe this company, my company the respect of not just walking off and leaving us in a bind.  Please give us a reasonable notice.  As long as you do not intenti0nally try and hurt us, you will be treated with respect and fairness.  I never blamed anyone for trying to better themselves, even if it wasn't always in my best interest.
Did you give employees a reasonable notice when you fired or laid them off? You know, like two weeks you ask them to give you? I highly doubt it. They don't owe you shite, just like Monk didn't owe us shite or an explanation.

Sivad

Quote from: HogFansReunited on March 15, 2017, 02:23:07 pm
He grew up wanting to be a hog.  His family wanted him to be a hog as well except one person in particular.  That person pushed him to Kentucky for his own personal gain.  It will eventually come to light that Marcus has been acting as his agent for a while now.  A lot of people in his own family are pissed at him.
Marcus Monk is a strong Houston Dale Nutt aficionado. No surprise here.

rwspear

it was between fville and bentonville and marcus pushed him towards bentonville bc of their weight room. he wanted to move to nwa for proximity to UA, the competition, and the 7A exposure. oh and bentonville gave his mom a job. go figure.

LR_Matt

No wonder everyone is pissed.... UA paid for all that "moving".

phadedhawg

I have it on good authority that the Monk's are pretty much obsessed with Ashley Judd.  Can't get enough of her.  How could we compete with that?  lolol

jbigs77

Quote from: HogFansReunited on March 15, 2017, 02:23:07 pm
That BS. Glad he went to KY jelly. 1 and done, most likely end up in Europe. POS

majestic

Quote from: jbigs77 on March 15, 2017, 07:09:44 pm
That BS. Glad he went to KY jelly. 1 and done, most likely end up in Europe. POS
I think calling a 18-19 year old kid a POS is a bit over the top.
Voluntary epidemiologist - Voted for W in 08

Cmheinley

I've never posted about the kid. Not really worth wasting too much emotion on. The one question I do have is this. Does going to Kentucky make you anymore of a sexy draft pick? Bobby Portis seems to be doing just fine. Now if Marcus sold his soul to Kentucky for a chance to be an agent for a school that sends far more kids to the NBA...that makes perfect sense.

hobhog

Quote from: lynbug on March 15, 2017, 02:00:31 pm
And are we pretending that the U of A had nothing to do with facilitating the whole thing?  Not saying we did anything illegal....but I just think there was an assumption of a Monk/Razorback connection.

Stuff like this cracks me up.

Breems

Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

onebadrubi

Quote from: Cmheinley on March 15, 2017, 08:00:46 pm
I've never posted about the kid. Not really worth wasting too much emotion on. The one question I do have is this. Does going to Kentucky make you anymore of a sexy draft pick? Bobby Portis seems to be doing just fine. Now if Marcus sold his soul to Kentucky for a chance to be an agent for a school that sends far more kids to the NBA...that makes perfect sense.

If you have been able to read the tea leaves around here for some time now, Malik's decision was made by marcus for Marcus's personal gain.  Malik would have been seen at any school he went too, He would have elevated Arkansas and still played in an SEC championship game along side one of his best friends in Macon.  He chose not too and now he shunned a state that fully supports it's athletes.  It's honestly hard for me to blame Malik or hate him for it (before this the SEC championship game) but he looked up to his brother possibly more than his mother or any other figure in his life for proper guidance, and his brother used that for his personal gain.  Very similar to what we see out of a lot of parents, one right now would be Alonzo Ball's dad. 

Cmheinley

Quote from: onebadrubi on March 15, 2017, 09:46:26 pm
If you have been able to read the tea leaves around here for some time now, Malik's decision was made by marcus for Marcus's personal gain.  Malik would have been seen at any school he went too, He would have elevated Arkansas and still played in an SEC championship game along side one of his best friends in Macon.  He chose not too and now he shunned a state that fully supports it's athletes.  It's honestly hard for me to blame Malik or hate him for it (before this the SEC championship game) but he looked up to his brother possibly more than his mother or any other figure in his life for proper guidance, and his brother used that for his personal gain.  Very similar to what we see out of a lot of parents, one right now would be Alonzo Ball's dad.

Thanks for the summary. I think that information was subliminally stored at some point. It's a damn shame, but it is what it is. Hopefully they're able to make the best out of their current situations because I fear employment in the state of AR will be hard to come by for these two.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: Mo_Better_Hogs on March 15, 2017, 02:00:25 pm
Well, how con-veeeeenient. Seriously, I know this happens. As Warrior said above, I'd assume there were several advantages of being in (playing in) Bentonville. Bigger school, which means more notable. Yeah, better competition.

So, the proximity to the U of A was just incidental? They could just as well have moved to one of the bigger Little Rock schools?
The move has always been highly dubious.
At the time, I just assumed there was a 'master plan' that Malik would play H.S. at a bigger school, then matriculate 30 miles down the road to the UA. It all seemed like a setup deal to me.
Of course, this implies impropriety. Which is quite possible, but it doesn't necessarily mean that. I mean, it's also dubious to hire a guy as an assistant coach just because you have an interest in a kid. (see..Kansas hiring Ed Manning, Danny Manning's father)
It's not illegal, it's just sneaky. So both are possible: illegalities or just 'favors'.
It all may have been a setup deal and 'master plan', indeed, but then plans may have changed, too. That's possible.

If you're  just looking to move to a bigger town, from Lepanto, then Memphis and Little Rock would be much more likely. So that doesn't make sense.

Not to mention that, let's be honest, Bentonville is not a hotbed for the black community.

Not to mention, Bentonville has virtually zero basketball tradition. Heck, Fayettevile H.S is the place to be for that. Bentonville makes zero sense.

I know people like to dump on Marcus, but at the end of the day, I still say it was Malik's decision ultimately to go to UK. You can't tell me an 18-year 'superstar' is going to let their uncle, mom, brother, or cousin VETO what they want to do and basically force them to do something they don't really want to do. It's Malik's life, his career, and his decision. I think he does have a little bit of punk and 'big-head' attitude and thought he had outgrown Arkansas and wanted blue-er pastures.

And I'm still waiting for some media type to interview Marcus. Why don't they just ask him questions? Be polite, but just interview him. Ask him for his comment. I do agree it's sad, because Marcus had a great career as a WR here. He's one of those guys that would be in the Razorback Sports Hall of Fame at some point. I would want to give him an opportunity, and if him, I would be seeking an opportunity to clear the air. If he's guilty as charged, then so be it, but I want to hear him talk. You don't have to attack the guy, but just questions like 'Marcus, some are saying you had a hand in steering your brother to Kentucky---how would you respond to that?' and 'Marcus, some would say your brother's decision to go to Kentucky was made long ago, but you and others were trying to make it appear the UA still had a chance and you were trying to promote high school tournaments to come see your brother play as perhaps a future Hog---how would you respond to people like that?'

I don't know why this couldn't be a story or article in Hawgs Illustrated or WholeHogSports, etc.

Iwastherein1969

To answer the OP's question. In order to use other people to benefit themselves. Since the baby boy of the family went North, I see no reason why the baby boy's family should continue to live off the good graces of the people of Bentonville. I say, buy them some cleaning materials and send them back to the ol' front porch in Lepanto. Now, when baby boy blue leaves that place up north and gets his first NBA check, he can support them. The good people of NW Arkansas has done enough. Et tu, Baby Boy Blue ?
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

Timfromlittlerockhog

Quote from: IronMountainHog on March 15, 2017, 06:03:50 pm
Did you give employees a reasonable notice when you fired or laid them off? You know, like two weeks you ask them to give you? I highly doubt it. They don't owe you shite, just like Monk didn't owe us shite or an explanation.

I've been self employed most of my life. But the two people I did have the privilege of working for both gave me severance pay. Even though I submitted a notice. When you work hard people want to do right by you.

bkjbearcat

Quote from: majestic on March 15, 2017, 07:41:47 pm
I think calling a 18-19 year old kid a POS is a bit over the top.

And I think calling a 18-19-year-old who can vote and be sent off to war a kid is over the top.
B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S BEARCATS, BEARCATS GOOOOOOO BEARCATS!!!!!!!<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Football: 1998, 1999, 2009, 2013, 2015, 2016<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Mens Basketball: 2017, 2019, No.1 team in 2020,2021, 2022

zane

My wife worked with a girl that was "dating" Marcus while Malik was still at EPC.  When I found this out, I pestered her to get the scoop on where Malik was leaning. She did and told us that he was wanting to go to Kentucky. This was in 2013/14.

So- I don't think there was any big conspiracy. The Monk family had/have their eye on the prize and took what they thought were the right steps to obtain it.

I was disappointed when he didn't come here but didn't feel personally spurned.

RIP LSUfan

rwspear

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on March 15, 2017, 11:45:30 pm
The move has always been highly dubious.
At the time, I just assumed there was a 'master plan' that Malik would play H.S. at a bigger school, then matriculate 30 miles down the road to the UA. It all seemed like a setup deal to me.
Of course, this implies impropriety. Which is quite possible, but it doesn't necessarily mean that. I mean, it's also dubious to hire a guy as an assistant coach just because you have an interest in a kid. (see..Kansas hiring Ed Manning, Danny Manning's father)
It's not illegal, it's just sneaky. So both are possible: illegalities or just 'favors'.
It all may have been a setup deal and 'master plan', indeed, but then plans may have changed, too. That's possible.

If you're  just looking to move to a bigger town, from Lepanto, then Memphis and Little Rock would be much more likely. So that doesn't make sense.

Not to mention that, let's be honest, Bentonville is not a hotbed for the black community.

Not to mention, Bentonville has virtually zero basketball tradition. Heck, Fayettevile H.S is the place to be for that. Bentonville makes zero sense.

I know people like to dump on Marcus, but at the end of the day, I still say it was Malik's decision ultimately to go to UK. You can't tell me an 18-year 'superstar' is going to let their uncle, mom, brother, or cousin VETO what they want to do and basically force them to do something they don't really want to do. It's Malik's life, his career, and his decision. I think he does have a little bit of punk and 'big-head' attitude and thought he had outgrown Arkansas and wanted blue-er pastures.

And I'm still waiting for some media type to interview Marcus. Why don't they just ask him questions? Be polite, but just interview him. Ask him for his comment. I do agree it's sad, because Marcus had a great career as a WR here. He's one of those guys that would be in the Razorback Sports Hall of Fame at some point. I would want to give him an opportunity, and if him, I would be seeking an opportunity to clear the air. If he's guilty as charged, then so be it, but I want to hear him talk. You don't have to attack the guy, but just questions like 'Marcus, some are saying you had a hand in steering your brother to Kentucky---how would you respond to that?' and 'Marcus, some would say your brother's decision to go to Kentucky was made long ago, but you and others were trying to make it appear the UA still had a chance and you were trying to promote high school tournaments to come see your brother play as perhaps a future Hog---how would you respond to people like that?'

I don't know why this couldn't be a story or article in Hawgs Illustrated or WholeHogSports, etc.

its not a mystery. nwa = 7A competition and proximity to both UA and XNA. he went to Bentonville bc of their weight room and facilities and bc they offered his mom a job. its simple.

Biggus Piggus

If he were really committed to going to Arkansas, Malik would have ended up at Fayetteville High not Bentonville.
[CENSORED]!