Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Monk Throat Slash

Started by root_hawg, March 15, 2017, 01:04:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

root_hawg

Was going to watch the game again to see this, unfortunately had to work and missed the game.  When did this occur in the game?  Thnks

hogmolar

Right after making a three that didn't count.

riccoar

Yep, he made that 3 just mere seconds as shot clock expires.  They go to commercial which shows the angle from down court camera guy and shows him run by Arkansas bench and gesture.

root_hawg

Sho Nuff

That gesture cost him a lot of opportunities down the road.  Flipping to the KY Jellycats didn't help, but this cemented it.  If the NBA doesn't work out long term, he will be looking for work somewhere, probably won't be too many opportunities in Arkansas.  There's a lot of life left after playing ball, I believe he will regret this at some point.

jbcarol

Quote from: root_hawg on March 15, 2017, 01:04:16 pm
Was going to watch the game again to see this, unfortunately had to work and missed the game.  When did this occur in the game?  Thnks

Matt Jones @KySportsRadio

Malik Monk gives the Arkansas bench a throat slash. This one was clearly personal
2:44 PM - 12 Mar 2017

Time stamped 2:44P EDT

"When the Wildcats had the game in hand in the second half, Monk made the throat-slashing gesture towards Arkansas head coach Mike Anderson and the Razorbacks bench. After that, things started to get chippy on the court as senior guard Dusty Hannahs..."

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

hogcard1964

Kid has a lot of cultural issues.

rlamb

Kid is a PUNK!  He has landed square in the murky middle of the "Eric Mitchell" Rule! No Arkansas
jobs or opportunities will be open to him after maybe getting injured in the NBA.

We in Arkansas have one of these type players come along once every 10-15-20 years as I think
back to "Sid the Squid" in the 70's, Corliss in the 90's and National Championship Games, Joe
Johnson in the 00's and now Malik the Punk. WE CANNOT let these Program changers get out of State,
we get them so non-often! We are too small a State!

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: rlamb on March 16, 2017, 01:22:43 am
Kid is a PUNK!  He has landed square in the murky middle of the "Eric Mitchell" Rule! No Arkansas
jobs or opportunities will be open to him after maybe getting injured in the NBA.

We in Arkansas have one of these type players come along once every 10-15-20 years as I think
back to "Sid the Squid" in the 70's, Corliss in the 90's and National Championship Games, Joe
Johnson in the 00's and now Malik the Punk. WE CANNOT let these Program changers get out of State,
this kid can't sniff Sidney Moncrief's jock....Sidney, besides being around a twenty point scorer per game in the NBA was named to the NBA's All-Defensive squad many a year...Monk hasn't a clue what the word defense means
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

1highhog

I hope Portis welcomes him to the NBA in the right manner, something along the lines of what Moses did, they don't baby players as much in the NBA as they do in College unless you're a Superstar, and Malik will not be one of those.

root_hawg

Portis would have to get off the bench for him to see him.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: Sho Nuff on March 15, 2017, 02:57:47 pm
That gesture cost him a lot of opportunities down the road.  Flipping to the KY Jellycats didn't help, but this cemented it.  If the NBA doesn't work out long term, he will be looking for work somewhere, probably won't be too many opportunities in Arkansas.  There's a lot of life left after playing ball, I believe he will regret this at some point.
According to some of the calls ive heard on 103.7 the buzz this week, he still has quite a few fans in NW Arkansas
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

hogcard1964

Quote from: root_hawg on March 16, 2017, 06:54:44 am

Portis has been starting recently.

http://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore/_/id/400900404

ua_hogs

Might want to do a little research. 

Edit: It has been made easy for you with a link.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: rlamb on March 16, 2017, 01:22:43 am

SEC Network highlights Sunday night referenced this. Showing a Monk dunk, they mentioned he was from Lepanto, AR and said 'sorry Hog fans...this must be painful to watch'.

Yes, it was, but I also nearly threw up when seeing not one, but TWO Arkies named to the All-SEC FIRST team. (Allen and Monk). Really hard to take.

Considering that, Arkansas did about as well as you could expect with the guys they had to work with.

code red

"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

1highhog

Portis hasn't been on the bench, shows how much you know.

BorderPatrol

Talking out of your ass, as usual.

bp

1highhog

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on March 16, 2017, 07:17:04 am
According to some of the calls ive heard on 103.7 the buzz this week, he still has quite a few fans in NW Arkansas

That's the way NWA is, very fickle and they support kids that turn their back on the Hogs no matter how bad they do so.  Don't get me wrong, a kid has every right to go where he thinks he has the best chance to succeed, and there's a lot of kids that simply don't get the opportunity to go to the UofA.  But for those that get offered, and then they play it out like they are fully interested and all, but all along have their minds made up to go elsewhere, those I wouldn't stop and help if they were on the side of the road broke down somewhere.  There's been several of them in the past few years.

BannerMountainMan

Yes the people that hate Anderson love Monk because they can use the line "Anderson is not a good coach, he can't even get recruits out of Arkansas" that's where these callers come from
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

jesterzzn

I still don't understand why this gesture became a big deal. 

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on March 16, 2017, 02:13:31 am
this kid can't sniff Sidney Moncrief's jock....Sidney, besides being around a twenty point scorer per game in the NBA was named to the NBA's All-Defensive squad many a year...Monk hasn't a clue what the word defense means

Didn't Sid lead the SWC in rebounds his senior year?  I know he was All-NBA a four or five times and generally considered the best defender in the NBA for a while.  Last time I looked his "career similarity score" list included several current and future Hall of Fame players.  No idea how he's not in the HoF other than he played in the era of Bird and Magic for a team nobody ever saw on TV.

Mo_Better_Hogs

Quote from: jesterzzn on March 16, 2017, 01:16:01 pm
I still don't understand why this gesture became a big deal.

Not a bad question. It seemed, several years ago, everyone got hyper-sensitive to things--gay jokes, violence (specifically urban violence), etc. The throat slash has become a "symbol" of violence. It's not because there's an unusual abundance of actual throat-slashing murders in Chicago and New York. (1880s London, maybe.) The slash is easier to do in sports than pulling out and shooting your automatic pistol.

Guess the refs shared your opinion. The throat slash has been a punishable offense for years now, but it doesn't really matter when a 20-ppg Kentucky star does it.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: jesterzzn on March 16, 2017, 01:16:01 pm
I still don't understand why this gesture became a deal.

It's not the gesture that is against the rules. All taunting is and has been against the rules for a very long time.

SamBuckhart

Did he do it more than once? How can refs be bad enough to miss it twice?
BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!

root_hawg

Quote from: BorderPatrol on March 16, 2017, 11:54:03 am
Talking out of your ass, as usual.

bp

Averaging 15 min per; lowest of any player at his position; as usual you don't know your arse from your head

sowmonella

The Ref wasn't in position to make the call. :puke:
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

Vantage 8 dude

Two words: "bush league". Nothing more be said.

old hog