Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Pro day today?

Started by LRrazorback, March 15, 2017, 11:18:00 am

Previous topic - Next topic

LRrazorback

Thought I heard today is AR pro day.  Can anyone confirm, and provide numbers? 

Biggus Piggus

It is live right now on Facebook.
[CENSORED]!

bennyl08

Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

bennyl08

Reported that Sprinkle ran an unofficial 4.52.

Note, some of those 40 times in the image are exactly what they were at the combine.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

ricepig

Quote from: bennyl08 on March 15, 2017, 12:14:16 pm
Reported that Sprinkle ran an unofficial 4.52.

Note, some of those 40 times in the image are exactly what they were at the combine.

Sprinkle 4.53 official
Reed 4.38 official

ricepig

Hollister with 29 reps on the bench.

bennyl08

Quote from: ricepig on March 15, 2017, 12:35:34 pm

Just about to post that. This is a WR posting better bench numbers than almost every OL at the combine.

Quote from: ricepig on March 15, 2017, 12:31:57 pm
Sprinkle 4.53 official
Reed 4.38 official

Wow, so Reed probably would have been in the 4.4's if he was at Indy.

ricepig

Quote from: ricepig on March 15, 2017, 12:35:34 pm

Reed did 6, others

Ellis 21
Skipper 19
Winston 21
Sprinkle 15
Walker 20

bennyl08

Sprinkle replicated his 9'8" broad jump from the combine. Looking at the short video on twitter, I feel like he could have gone over 10' if he crouched lower on his jump.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong as biomechanics isn't my area of expertise, but basically your legs are like a spring in this scenario with the more you bend, the more force you can generate when you jump. This makes sense as if you just bend down a few inches, you can't jump as high as if you bend down a foot or more.

Sprinkle bent down to right about a 90degree angle but angled his body at about 45degrees leaning forward to give him the best projectile trajectory forward.

bennyl08

Quote from: ricepig on March 15, 2017, 12:46:15 pm
Reed did 6, others

Ellis 21
Skipper 19
Winston 21
Sprinkle 15
Walker 20

Where are you getting these? I'm refreshing and searching twitter to find some stuff but only getting a few tiny tidbits?

Ellis did 18 at the combine
Skipper skipped at the combine
As did Sprinkle.

Winston is near the bottom of DL reps. Sprinkle would have done the worst, though he is already know as one of the best blockers there so shouldn't be too much of an issue. I'm sure the NFL would like to see him get to 20 though, but the long arms make it not so bad.
Skipper's 19 is near the bottom of the OL. While he is 6'9, long arms make the bench press harder and his arm length was around middle of the pack.
Walker is in the upper grouping of RB's.

ricepig

Quote from: bennyl08 on March 15, 2017, 12:55:33 pm
Where are you getting these? I'm refreshing and searching twitter to find some stuff but only getting a few tiny tidbits?

Ellis did 18 at the combine
Skipper skipped at the combine
As did Sprinkle.

Winston is near the bottom of DL reps. Sprinkle would have done the worst, though he is already know as one of the best blockers there so shouldn't be too much of an issue. I'm sure the NFL would like to see him get to 20 though, but the long arms make it not so bad.
Skipper's 19 is near the bottom of the OL. While he is 6'9, long arms make the bench press harder and his arm length was around middle of the pack.
Walker is in the upper grouping of RB's.

From somebody there.

factchecker

https://twitter.com/TreyBiddy/status/842066364756045833

That is freakin nuts.  Maybe Hollister needs to try his hand at powerlifting or cross-fit post football.  I don't know..... find someway to make money with that strength.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Biggus Piggus

Sprinkle ran a great time. Skipper also ran a lot better today vs. the combine.
[CENSORED]!

bennyl08

Really curious to see Collins numbers. He's been our best cover corner and if he tests well, I think he has a real shot at being a late round pick.

Also, I remember coach saying Reed could broad jump over 11' so I'm curious to see if that happens as well.

Sportster365

Quote from: ricepig on March 15, 2017, 12:31:57 pm
Sprinkle 4.53 official
Reed 4.38 official

You gotta find a way to keep speed like this on the field and putting the ball in its hands.

Coach B isn't properly using resources available to him. Big reason for such a lack of success so far.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Sportster365 on March 15, 2017, 01:11:35 pm
You gotta find a way to keep speed like this on the field and putting the ball in its hands.

Coach B isn't properly using resources available to him. Big reason for such a lack of success so far.

^FOS comment.
[CENSORED]!

ricepig

Quote from: bennyl08 on March 15, 2017, 01:11:19 pm
Really curious to see Collins numbers. He's been our best cover corner and if he tests well, I think he has a real shot at being a late round pick.

Also, I remember coach saying Reed could broad jump over 11' so I'm curious to see if that happens as well.

Reed went 11'4" in the broad jump.

Collins, 4.43 unofficial.

bennyl08

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on March 15, 2017, 01:11:09 pm
Sprinkle ran a great time. Skipper also ran a lot better today vs. the combine.

Would have been 4th best at the combine and 2 hundredths slower than Howard, who was 2nd fastest. He improved his forty time by a full 0.16 seconds. While people running here are inevitably going to be faster than running at the combine due to the surface, it isn't a 0.16s faster surface. He improved his technique for sure.

bennyl08

Quote from: ricepig on March 15, 2017, 01:12:54 pm
Reed went 11'4" in the broad jump.

danged. Would have been 2nd best at the combine.

What did he weigh in at?

bennyl08

MuskogeeHogFan

Well this thread isn't about Bielema so stow the opinions of the coaching staff.
Go Hogs Go!

ricepig

Quote from: bennyl08 on March 15, 2017, 02:07:37 pm
Hey, ricepig

Sorry, headed to the baseball game, I'll check later.

bennyl08

From the Facebook videos, DJ Dean put up 20 reps on the bench. His elbows looked bowed inwards when he locked out.

Josh Williams with 20.

Reed with 6.

Looks like Reed posted a 40" vert.

bennyl08

Quote from: ricepig on March 15, 2017, 02:27:29 pm
Sorry, headed to the baseball game, I'll check later.

Get your priorities in order!

hei5manhog

Reed is one of the most athletic dudes we've had. Shame.
"If I can't practice, I can't practice. It is as simple as that. It ain't about that at all. It's easy to sum it up if you're just talking about practice. We're sitting here, and I'm supposed to be the franchise player, and we're talking about practice. I mean listen, we're sitting here talking about practice, not a game, not a game, not a game, but we're talking about practice. Not the game that I go out there and die for and play every game like it's my last but we're talking about practice man. How silly is that?

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: bennyl08 on March 15, 2017, 02:30:08 pm
From the Facebook videos, DJ Dean put up 20 reps on the bench. His elbows looked bowed inwards when he locked out.

Josh Williams with 20.

Reed with 6.

Looks like Reed posted a 40" vert.

Bielema kept saying that they were preaching the importance of upper body strength and increased weight to Reed if he wanted to play at the next level. I think I heard that several times. I'm not sure how other WR's compared at the Combine, but that doesn't seem like a lot of reps. Maybe I am wrong?

Edit: Looks like most at the Combine reached double digits in the BP, though Reed's 40's time is good. Do they detract some time from the 40's time if it is run on Pro Day as opposed to at the Combine?
Go Hogs Go!

Hawgar The Horrible

Yeah, you're a poster boy for the, self proclaimed, unbiased types on this board.
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

bennyl08

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 15, 2017, 04:34:58 pm
Bielema kept saying that they were preaching the importance of upper body strength and increased weight to Reed if he wanted to play at the next level. I think I heard that several times. I'm not sure how other WR's compared at the Combine, but that doesn't seem like a lot of reps. Maybe I am wrong?

Edit: Looks like most at the Combine reached double digits in the BP, though Reed's 40's time is good. Do they detract some time from the 40's time if it is run on Pro Day as opposed to at the Combine?

In Reeds defense with the combine, it seems that there's a trend of players avoiding participating in drills they know they are going to be bad at. In years past, you'd typically see several players in the single digits. Now, if you can't reach 10, you typically just don't do it at all. <10 still puts you in the bottom of the barrel, but it's a bit more common for combine players than the results indicate. I've posted before though that his lack of size is a big issue, particularly at the next level.

No, they don't definitely don't detract time from the forties and to my knowledge they don't add time to the forties either. Namely, it is impossible to know exactly how much the turf (okay, not impossible, but difficult to actually calculate) changes the forty time and it is going to be different for each pro day.

Typically, asterisks are just kind of placed by pro day timings. For example, if Ross ran a 4.22 at the pro day instead of the combine, he would not get the credit for the fasted forty yard dash time. I'm sure a chunk of Sprinkle's improvement was solely due to different turf, but some of it is going to be more time to train. Scouts aren't going to discount that. Similarly with Child's who was healthier for the pro day than the combine.

bythelake

Are the 40 times hand held or laser?

bennyl08

Quote from: bythelake on March 15, 2017, 05:59:53 pm
Are the 40 times hand held or laser?

Don't know. There are official and unofficial times at the pro days, but I think the official time is the average handheld time from a select group of people.

bennyl08

SEC rant reporting that Collins had a 10'6" broad jump. Showing Reed's forty time as 4.39.

Collin's broad jump would put him 6th at the combine for DB's. His reported 4.43 forty would put him tied at 8th. With his production on the field (tied for the lead in the SEC with pass breakups in 2014 and was still a very good cover corner later), I repeatedly said that IF he tested as well as he played on the field, he'd be a strong candidate to also be drafted. Among the other DB's, he is testing as a top 10 player at the position. I still think he's a late (5-7) round pick at best, but with Tevin being drafted and the possibility of Collins (and Toliver and Pulley in the future), he've had more talent there than many realize. IMO, safety play has been our big weakness in the secondary along with LB'ers who have struggled in coverage and lack of a consistent pass rush.

bythelake

Good post benny.  Agree.

bennyl08

From Gill Brandt

I don't know if he gets drafted but WR Dominique Reed put on show at ARK pro day. Teams will make way to Fayetteville to work him out.

bennyl08

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2017/mar/15/state-hogs-receivers-take-advantage-allens-accurac/

Ledbetter allegedly improved his forty time to a 4.68 after dropping 5 pounds post-combine. Though, keep in mind difference in timing method and turf.

flagstaffhog

Go HOGS Go!

B501

Bielema kept saying that they were preaching the importance of upper body strength and increased weight to Reed if he wanted to play at the next level. I think I heard that several times. I'm not sure how other WR's compared at the Combine, but that doesn't seem like a lot of reps.

6 reps would rank him dead last over the past three combines

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2017/3/3/14802242/2017-nfl-combine-results-wide-receivers-corey-davis-mike-williams

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2016/2/26/11120690/nfl-combine-results-2016-bench-press-results-wide-receiver

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2015/2/20/8077097/2015-nfl-combine-wide-receivers-bench-press

that being said odell beckham only put up 7 reps in 2014

NotSoFastMyFriend

lol You could have every WR run a 4.2 but if they don't know their routes then you're going to take a lot of coverage sacks.

Razorbackers

Reed can't run routes. The DID find ways to get it into his hands, on end arounds and seams. But that only works so often. That's why someone like Morgan, who runs a 4.7, was open way more than Reed.

lstewart

Some guys are just great at the aspects that are measured, but it does not translate to being a productive football player. Other guys don't test that well, but they are very productive on the field. Would love for Reed and others to figure out a way to get paid to play, but it did not click enough for the Hogs to ever become a top player. I wish all those guys the best of luck!

bennyl08

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000793456/article/pro-day-results-arkansas-georgia

Reed: 6'2 182 (so he's added about 10 pounds since the summer which is very good, probably doubled the reps he could previously do on the bench), Ran a 4.45 and a 4.39 forty, 40" vert, 6 reps on bench, 6.82 3cone, 4.50 shuttle

Baker: 6'3 212, only player to do drills outdoors, punted well in the wind

Ellis: 6'1.5 241, ran a 4.71 and 4.69 forty, 31.5" vert, 4.36 shuttle, 6.84 3cone, 20 reps on bench

Hatcher: 6'1 216,  Didn't work out due to hamstring injury

Ledbetter: 6'3 275 (mentioned before he said he dropped 5 pounds after the combine, where he was indeed listed at 180) ran a 4.81 and 4.83 forty, 33.5" vert, 10' broad, stood on the rest of his combine numbers. "looked very athletic in drills. I like this player." -Gill Brandt

Morgan: 5'11 191, 4.65 and 4.63 forty, 4.42 shuttle, 6.64 3cone, stood on rest of combine numbers, caught the ball well in drills.

Skipper: 6'9.5 311, ran a 5.31 and 5.26 forty time, 4.94 shuttle, 7.75 3cone, stood on rest of combine numbers (article is wrong, and forgot to list the bench press that skipper did), "He had what was described to me as a "good, not great" workout." - Gill Brandt

Sprinkle: 6'5 253, here it is listed that he ran a 4.65 and a 4.60 forty (not the 4.53 we've seen reported before), 30.5" vert, 9'8" broad, it does list that he ran a 4.53 but that was the shuttle not the dash, 7.09 3cone, 15 reps on bench. "He's a good tight end in a very deep tight end class." - Gill Brandt

Wise Jr: 6'5 268, stood on combine numbers, showed a lot of power in position drill. "I watched the two videos that showed him in drills and he looked very fast, explosive, and smooth in them. His power has been one of the big things that scouts have said he lacks, so I can see why he'd try to emphasize that in his pro day" - Me.

PorkSoda

reed is long and lean, he will never perform well in the bench press.  I'm sure they can do some things to maximize his potential, but his strengths lie elsewhere.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

ricepig