Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What a great day it has been.both Monk and K.Allen lost

Started by forrest city joe, March 26, 2017, 06:53:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

PorkRinds

Quote from: hogsanity on March 29, 2017, 09:53:44 am
They are just like the group that could not stop posting about HDN, some to this day a decade after he last coached a game here. Or the group that can't stop bringing up BP, 6 years after he last coached here. IT is really all they know how to do, and are incapable of having a discussion without bringing their pet topic into it at some point.

Or the guy that shows up in every thread to defend the crappy refs.

forrest city joe

Quote from: RazorPiggie on March 26, 2017, 09:37:43 pm
Refs gave one to us the game before. Remember that Joseph.
Nope. we won our game.only Anderson haters like you think they gave us anything. you are a joke.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: hogsanity on March 29, 2017, 08:30:06 am
Yes, because the only reason a few people come here is to defend Mike, so when nothing is actually said about Mike they have to make up stuff. Just like asking if SC will be as good next year as they are this year is somehow worthy of someone saying " yep, it's already started " like asking that question was some slap at Mike.

No, it was a slap at the conference. You will AGAIN come on here next season proclaiming how awful the SEC is like you always seem to do.

It gets old.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: forrest city joe on March 29, 2017, 10:45:57 am
Nope. we won our game.only Anderson haters like you think they gave us anything. you are a joke.

No friggin' joke. Regardless of whether they called a foul or a flagrant foul, we were still ahead and going to the line to extend the lead. And Seton Hall was still virtually incapable of scoring.
[CENSORED]!

Youngsta71701

"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Youngsta71701

Hey you guys, don't worry about hogsanity. As long as you talk negative about any and everybody else except Bret Bielema and the refs you'll be on his good side. Don't say anything good about Mike Anderson and don't say anything bad about Coach Bielema and the refs and you'll get along just fine. Carry on then...

Check his post history. It's not hard to figure out ;).

PharmacistHog

Hogsanity ain't that bad if you know him. Just gets sick of the trolls like everybody else and YES there are lots of them on both sides.
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

hogsanity

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on March 29, 2017, 12:21:41 pm
Hey you guys, don't worry about hogsanity. As long as you talk negative about any and everybody else except Bret Bielema and the refs you'll be on his good side. Don't say anything good about Mike Anderson and don't say anything bad about Coach Bielema and the refs and you'll get along just fine. Carry on then...

Check his post history. It's not hard to figure out ;).

Be critical of anyone you want, but do it consistently. Don't say one coach should get 6 years, or be kept because of a future recruiting class, then say another coach should not get that same lee way.

Also, I would defend DVH too, but no one cares enough about baseball to notice how good he has been since he took the job.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Youngsta71701

Quote from: PharmacistHog on March 29, 2017, 12:24:11 pm
Hogsanity ain't that bad if you know him. Just gets sick of the trolls like everybody else and YES there are lots of them on both sides.
4 questions:
1. Why is he always defending Bret Bielema when he's being criticized?
2. Why is he always criticizing or low rating anything positive said about Mike Anderson?
3. Why is he always defending the refs?
4. Why does he always sound like he's anti-hog? In basketball anyways. Or is he just anti-Anderson? Hmmm...

Youngsta71701

Quote from: hogsanity on March 29, 2017, 12:38:59 pm
Be critical of anyone you want, but do it consistently. Don't say one coach should get 6 years, or be kept because of a future recruiting class, then say another coach should not get that same lee way.

Also, I would defend DVH too, but no one cares enough about baseball to notice how good he has been since he took the job.
Check my history. You will clearly see that I clearly said that I don't want either one of them fired and neither deserves to be fired. Go ahead, check. Now I will admit that I wanted Robb Smith gone some kind of way. I at least wanted him to change his defensive strategy. But that was the only one. I'm glad he landed on his feet. I don't believe in changing head coaches just for the hell of it. If there is no chance of improvement or if the program is at a stand still or regressing then so be it. I haven't felt that way with Bielema or Anderson. Oh yeah, If forgot. If a certain coach just has to take a certain motorcycle ride that exposes some deep dark secrets that make the University look bad then so be it ;).

BTW I love Dave Van Horn. Great coach! I knew last year was just one of those years for him also. It happens.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on March 29, 2017, 12:48:36 pm
4 questions:
1. Why is he always defending Bret Bielema when he's being criticized?
2. Why is he always criticizing or low rating anything positive said about Mike Anderson?
3. Why is he always defending the refs?
4. Why does he always sound like he's anti-hog? In basketball anyways. Or is he just anti-Anderson? Hmmm...

Which came first, the chicken or the egg?  Seems to me that pro-mike folks  criticize bielema and vice versa. Depends on which side you are on as to which sticks out to you more. It would seem more logical to me that "supporters" or "haters" would hold the same opinions of both since they have both been relatively mediocre but interestingly that logic doesn't hold true.  Just my opinion. Its just perception.
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

Wisco Pig

Quote from: hogsanity on March 29, 2017, 12:38:59 pm

On behalf of the folks over at Extra Innings, I disagree.  Plenty of fans care about Arkansas baseball and know the success of the program.  We just don't escalate every little disagreement into a pitched battle (no pun intended).

Youngsta71701

Quote from: PharmacistHog on March 29, 2017, 01:03:16 pm
Which came first, the chicken or the egg?  Seems to me that pro-mike folks  criticize bielema and vice versa. Depends on which side you are on as to which sticks out to you more. It would seem more logical to me that "supporters" or "haters" would hold the same opinions of both since they have both been relatively mediocre but interestingly that logic doesn't hold true.  Just my opinion. Its just perception.
Exactly, I support both but some don't. Hard for me to understand the big difference between the two at this point. Not much difference to me. Styles, perception, record, I mean what is it? Both seem to be genuinely good human beings and I think both are good coaches that has taken a little bit longer to get both programs going than most hog fans would have liked. Most importantly I think both are good fits for our program. We don't need Hollywood in Arkansas. We need blue collar. I think Bielema gets it going this year to the tune of at least 9 wins and hopefully more. If not we'll see if all this ruckus is started about his job. We'll see if the sharks come out. (There will always be some no matter how well he does)

PonderinHog

ShadowHawg

The comparison shouldn't be between MA and CBB, the only fair comparison is to compare them to their predecessors.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: ShadowHawg on March 29, 2017, 01:36:08 pm
The comparison shouldn't be between MA and CBB, the only fair comparison is to compare them to their predecessors.

Okay. Mike's better than Pelphrey and Bielema's better than John L.  Arguments should end now and I expect everybody to get along from here on out.

PonderinHog

Quote from: PharmacistHog on March 29, 2017, 01:59:36 pm
Okay. Mike's better than Pelphrey and Bielema's better than John L.  Arguments should end now and I expect everybody to get along from here on out.
The egg still looks pissed.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: ShadowHawg on March 29, 2017, 01:36:08 pm
Ok, well in that case. Anderson is better than Heath and Pelphrey. Bielema is much better than John L but still has a way to go to catch up with Petrino. He's better than Petrino in the moral record though. By far. Is that important to some? It is to me. I like balance. I like winning but I also have a moral compass. I still like Bielema and I think he will win here and he will win the right way. Will he win as many games as Petrino did in a two year span? I'm not sure yet. Time will tell.

JayBell

Quote from: PharmacistHog on March 29, 2017, 01:03:16 pmWhich came first, the chicken or the egg?  Seems to me that pro-mike folks  criticize bielema and vice versa. Depends on which side you are on as to which sticks out to you more. It would seem more logical to me that "supporters" or "haters" would hold the same opinions of both since they have both been relatively mediocre but interestingly that logic doesn't hold true.  Just my opinion. Its just perception.

I disagree with this wholeheartedly.  It's all about the amount of time in their position.  Football, on average, takes longer than basketball to rebuild.  Whether or not you buy into the argument that it takes at least 4-5 years to rebuild a basketball program, you should still afford the same time frame to the coach of the much larger football program.

Bielema is heading into year five.  Anderson wasn't even on the hot seat until he had the chance of missing the NCAA Tournament (again) in his sixth season.  All hogsanity is asking is to hold the coaches to the same standard.  Why should one be held to higher expectations on a faster timeline?

If the football team doesn't do well this season, you can bet hogsanity and other "haters" or "supporters" (it's still incredibly stupid to use those terms to differentiate within the same fan base) are going to be just as disappointed with Bielema as they were with Anderson.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: JayBell on March 29, 2017, 05:53:27 pm
I disagree with this wholeheartedly.  It's all about the amount of time in their position.  Football, on average, takes longer than basketball to rebuild.  Whether or not you buy into the argument that it takes at least 4-5 years to rebuild a basketball program, you should still afford the same time frame to the coach of the much larger football program.

Bielema is heading into year five.  Anderson wasn't even on the hot seat until he had the chance of missing the NCAA Tournament (again) in his sixth season.  All hogsanity is asking is to hold the coaches to the same standard.  Why should one be held to higher expectations on a faster timeline?

If the football team doesn't do well this season, you can bet hogsanity and other "haters" or "supporters" (it's still incredibly stupid to use those terms to differentiate within the same fan base) are going to be just as disappointed with Bielema as they were with Anderson.

I was taking up for hogsanity. And I think you kinda said what I was trying to imply.

Arky

Quote from: PharmacistHog on March 29, 2017, 08:52:45 am
My God what is wrong with you people? You let a WWE Undertaker reference slip by with no comment?  Simply inexcusable.
go kick rocks...........**********************

PharmacistHog

Youngsta71701

Quote from: JayBell on March 29, 2017, 05:53:27 pm

I'm sorry but I have to call BS. I have never heard hogsanity support Mike Anderson or give him a chance one time the way that he does and has with Bret Bielema. Even from day one. If I missed something someone please let me know. I haven't been on hogville as long as some have. Now that I got that out the way carry on...

JayBell

Quote from: PharmacistHog on March 29, 2017, 08:49:07 pmI was taking up for hogsanity. And I think you kinda said what I was trying to imply.

Well dang.  My bad.

hogsanity

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on March 30, 2017, 07:15:21 am
I'm sorry but I have to call BS. I have never heard hogsanity support Mike Anderson or give him a chance one time the way that he does and has with Bret Bielema. Even from day one. If I missed something someone please let me know. I haven't been on hogville as long as some have. Now that I got that out the way carry on...

I am not anti Mike, I am not anti hog. I am anti the Mike above all crowd. 

I dont think anyone here counted the 1st season against Mike. But we got tired of watching him ram his head into the same wall over and over and over, unwilling to change anything. This year ws headed the same direction until half time of the game at LSU when he finally decided to change the defense, and it resulted in a dramatic change of the trajectory of the season. Yet for all the time prior, those of us asking, begging for him to try something different were told " hey this is what Mike does, he'll get it fixed " then low and behold he does something that some of us had suggested for years, and he is viewed as some sort of coaching miracle worker.

But, what irks the "anti-Mike" group here is the constant barrage of crap from guys like FCJ and a few others who feel the need to protect Mike in every thread, in every forum, even if Mike is not being talked about at all.  Every win and we have to put up with FCJ and his " what a win " threads and after every loss with his " screwed by the refs " excuse. Heck, he even starts those BEFORE tough games as a preemptive way to excuse the possible loss. And that groups 1st concern is always Mike, they always talk about Mike before they talk about the program. The last game of the year was a perfect case in point. The Hogs lost because NC had better players. What is ignored is that the Hogs fell behind big in the 1st half, a nasty habit they had the entire season all the way back to the earliest parts of the OOC schedule, and, in the end the fatigue it brought about in Barford/Macon/Beard was the undoing of the final 4 minutes of that game as each of them was greatly hampered by cramps/leg issues. Had they played the entire game like they played the middle 23 minutes, they would have been up double digits going into the last 3 minutes. One bad call, and I have said it was a terrible no call, did not cost the Hogs that game. What cost the Hogs that game was getting down big early to a very talented team.   
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Youngsta71701

March 30, 2017, 10:17:41 am #125 Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 11:23:20 am by Youngsta71701
Quote from: hogsanity on March 30, 2017, 09:09:03 am
I am not anti Mike, I am not anti hog. I am anti the Mike above all crowd. 

I dont think anyone here counted the 1st season against Mike. But we got tired of watching him ram his head into the same wall over and over and over, unwilling to change anything. This year ws headed the same direction until half time of the game at LSU when he finally decided to change the defense, and it resulted in a dramatic change of the trajectory of the season. Yet for all the time prior, those of us asking, begging for him to try something different were told " hey this is what Mike does, he'll get it fixed " then low and behold he does something that some of us had suggested for years, and he is viewed as some sort of coaching miracle worker.

But, what irks the "anti-Mike" group here is the constant barrage of crap from guys like FCJ and a few others who feel the need to protect Mike in every thread, in every forum, even if Mike is not being talked about at all.  Every win and we have to put up with FCJ and his " what a win " threads and after every loss with his " screwed by the refs " excuse. Heck, he even starts those BEFORE tough games as a preemptive way to excuse the possible loss. And that groups 1st concern is always Mike, they always talk about Mike before they talk about the program. The last game of the year was a perfect case in point. The Hogs lost because NC had better players. What is ignored is that the Hogs fell behind big in the 1st half, a nasty habit they had the entire season all the way back to the earliest parts of the OOC schedule, and, in the end the fatigue it brought about in Barford/Macon/Beard was the undoing of the final 4 minutes of that game as each of them was greatly hampered by cramps/leg issues. Had they played the entire game like they played the middle 23 minutes, they would have been up double digits going into the last 3 minutes. One bad call, and I have said it was a terrible no call, did not cost the Hogs that game. What cost the Hogs that game was getting down big early to a very talented team.
Fair points. BTW I knew you were going there with Joe ;D. But let me ask you a question. Was Joe the same way with Heath and Pelphrey as he is with Mike? Or is it just Mike? I wasn't on hogville at the time those two were coaching. Me personally I have supported all three of them I have criticized them when I think they deserved to be criticized and at the same time I have given them credit when they deserved it. Believe me, no one is above criticism. Even Bret Bielema.

Now he has made some changes to the defense that I think will result in a lot better showing. But he has ran into a brick wall over and over again at times also by doing the same thing over and over again that hasn't been working. And it's not just the lack of players and talent because we always seem to get players invited to the senior activities, senior bowl games or showcase games, and the NFL combine. Let's see if he also opens it up a bit more on offense and spread the field a little more in certain short yardage situations to open up some space in the middle to run. Anyhow, I got off topic for a minute. I am truly curious in hearing your answer about Joe. Have a nice day ;D.

hogsanity

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on March 30, 2017, 10:17:41 am
Fair points. BTW I knew you were going there with Joe ;D. But let me ask you a question. Was Joe the same way with Heath and Pelphrey as he is with Mike? Or is it just Mike? I wasn't on hogville at the time those two were coaching. Me personally I have supported all three of them I have criticized them when I think they deserved to be criticized and at the same time I have given them credit when they deserved it. Believe me, no one is above criticism. Even Bret Bielema.

Now he has made some changes to the defense that I think will result in a lot better showing. But he has ran into a brick wall over and over again at times also by doing the same thing over and over again that hasn't been working. And it's not just the lack of players and talent because we always seem to get players invited to the senior activities, senior bowl games or showcase games, and the NFL combine. Let's see if he also opens it up a bit more on offense and spread the field a little more in certain short yardage situations to open up some space in the middle to run. Anyhow, if got off topic for a minute. I am truly curious in hearing your answer about Joe. Have a nice day ;D.

Don't remember anything posted here about Heath from anyone. As for Pelphrey, FCJ had his famous rant about how we better lock up Pelphrey for the long term before Kent came and stole him away, but less than a month later he was calling for his head, and he never stopped, not even when Pel got that class of commits. FCJ definitely did not give Pel the long leash he has for Mike.

I do not understand the need to try to compare football and basketball. Football requires 22 players just to have a starting team, not even counting subs. Basketball requires 5, and many schools only have 2 main subs. Basketball also has 30+ games, not even counting post season play, so a team can win 10+ games before conf even starts. Then, when you break it down by game play, a bball team can get by with a really good PG and a shooter. A football team can have a great Qb, and a great RB, but if they have no one to block or catch the ball those two are of little use, AND that does not even touch on defense. In basketball you can be a so so player on offense, but contribute greatly if you are a really good defender. Then there is the depth of competition you face as well. There is no comparison in the strength of the sec in football and basketball. Comparing the 2 sports is just too difficult. And I did not even get into recruiting.

The problems with football last year were defensive. Sure, they were not spectacular in the red zone, but the defense was the real issue all season. They are trying to address that with the change in scheme.

DeltaBoy

It was great to see them both get bounced out of the Tournament.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: hogsanity on March 30, 2017, 10:51:23 am
Don't remember anything posted here about Heath from anyone. As for Pelphrey, FCJ had his famous rant about how we better lock up Pelphrey for the long term before Kent came and stole him away, but less than a month later he was calling for his head, and he never stopped, not even when Pel got that class of commits. FCJ definitely did not give Pel the long leash he has for Mike.

I do not understand the need to try to compare football and basketball. Football requires 22 players just to have a starting team, not even counting subs. Basketball requires 5, and many schools only have 2 main subs. Basketball also has 30+ games, not even counting post season play, so a team can win 10+ games before conf even starts. Then, when you break it down by game play, a bball team can get by with a really good PG and a shooter. A football team can have a great Qb, and a great RB, but if they have no one to block or catch the ball those two are of little use, AND that does not even touch on defense. In basketball you can be a so so player on offense, but contribute greatly if you are a really good defender. Then there is the depth of competition you face as well. There is no comparison in the strength of the sec in football and basketball. Comparing the 2 sports is just too difficult. And I did not even get into recruiting.

The problems with football last year were defensive. Sure, they were not spectacular in the red zone, but the defense was the real issue all season. They are trying to address that with the change in scheme.
Yeah, seen quite a bit of the famous John Pelphrey rant since I've been on jump ball, lol, but not much about Heath.

As far as football goes I actually think we will be much better this year with this scheme change. Although a lot of people may disagree right now or just not ready to drink the kool-aid. As for me, I'll bite. I think this scheme fits our personnel much better than the 4-3 did. We've always had big DE's with not much speed to seal the edge and get consistent pressure on the QB since Bielema's been here (since he refused to widen them out). Might as well rely on smaller faster OLB's to do that. Time will tell though.

hogsanity

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on March 30, 2017, 11:28:16 am
Yeah, seen quite a bit of the famous John Pelphrey rant since I've been on jump ball, lol, but not much about Heath.

As far as football goes I actually think we will be much better this year with this scheme change. Although a lot of people may disagree right now or just not ready to drink the kool-aid. As for me, I'll bite. I think this scheme fits our personnel much better than the 4-3 did. We've always had big DE's with not much speed to seal the edge and get consistent pressure on the QB since Bielema's been here (since he refused to widen them out). Might as well rely on smaller faster OLB's to do that. Time will tell though.

They could be much better on defense and still have no better record though, that is how tough the schedule is.

What has always frustrated me about football is the Hogs never seem to be able to have all the pieces at once. If they have a really good offense, the defense is bad. Good running game, can't pass. Good Dl, poor db's. Never do they have all the pieces at one time. At least they have had that in bball a few times ( although not recently ).

Jim Harris

Refs did not "give" Arkansas the Seton Hall game. Arkansas was up 1 and in possession of the ball and Barford was fouled. He was going to the line. The only "break" arkansas got was getting FTs and the ball, but Seton Hall, whichc at this point couldn't hit a basket much less keep from traveling a gainst the pressure, would have to hit a 3 in the last 19 seconds to tie had the call been the way you  think it should have. One other however is that the call was made exactly as it is written.
I am so sick and tired of people saying Arkansas got the game handed to them as if it was the same as North Carolina being handed the game against Arkansas, handed a basket on a no-charge-call/no-travel call assist from a flailing Joe Berry, not to mention the non-call on the tipped Macon shot in which it easily could have been called 3 FTs on the foul that wasn't whistled on the deflection that apparently didn't occur in the officials' eyes.
It's not even in the same ball park, and yet some people who even claim to be Hog fans act like Arkansas's Seton Hall win was the same as the way the Hogs' lost to North Carolina.
Well, horse darn.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

The OTR

Quote from: forrest city joe on March 29, 2017, 10:45:57 am

The best of the best.  Thanks again, Joseph.

factchecker

I seriously think we are the only fan base that believes in moral losses.  You see this same argument in football as well.

"You know we were lucky to beat Florida 31-10..... we really were 1-11 if you count all the times we were lucky."

Why do our "fans" want to give us more losses then we had?  That's not being a "realist".  That's being a depressing level of negative.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

HoopS

Because we have some who don't like their own team. They hate their own worse than rivals. They're sorely disappointed that we had a strong season and our coach won't be fired. They suck as fans.

JayBell

Quote from: factchecker on March 30, 2017, 08:51:02 pmI seriously think we are the only fan base that believes in moral losses.  You see this same argument in football as well.

"You know we were lucky to beat Florida 31-10..... we really were 1-11 if you count all the times we were lucky."

Why do our "fans" want to give us more losses then we had?  That's not being a "realist".  That's being a depressing level of negative.

That is a good point.  I doubt other fan bases are the same way.  It's always the same retort, like if you bring up that Arkansas could have and should have been 10-3 last season, you get the "Well, yeah, but we probably should have gone 3-9 if other teams don't screw up!"

Little Lady Back

Quote from: HoopS on March 31, 2017, 06:30:51 am
Because we have some who don't like their own team. They hate their own worse than rivals. They're sorely disappointed that we had a strong season and our coach won't be fired. They suck as fans.

There are a few on here that are absolutely the worst of the worst!
#NolanRichardsonCourt

hogsanity

Quote from: HoopS on March 31, 2017, 06:30:51 am

There is not one person on this board that is disappointed that the Hogs made the ncaat.

texas tush hog

Quote from: forrest city joe on March 26, 2017, 06:53:58 pm
And i love it. i am one who admits that i do not wish them well.they turn their backs on Mike Anderson,and the razorback program.screw them. i am glad both KY and FL lost.and glad that neither Monk or Allen will get a chance to play in the final 4.WPS---------------------GO HOGS.

And both will more than likely be in the NBA with their gangsta buddies next year. Will never miss either. Leave and never come back, and Marcus, either.

Science Fiction Greg

Quote from: JayBell on March 31, 2017, 08:33:16 am
That is a good point.  I doubt other fan bases are the same way.  It's always the same retort, like if you bring up that Arkansas could have and should have been 10-3 last season, you get the "Well, yeah, but we probably should have gone 3-9 if other teams don't screw up!"

I've thought about this idea a fair amount.  I have a few ideas of what is really going on.  I think people are trying to have an objective measure of the strength of the team.  It must seem annoying to them that there are things like "luck" and "extra effort" etc. in the game to mess it up.  They want to just compare the strength of their team with the others and see who would "really" win without all that messy stuff.  It helps them to guess which other teams their team can beat (which is very important--they like to boast at the water cooler about their teams, so it's disappointing when they can't do it).  So, they have this desire to see who "should" have won the game.  It's less important who actually did win to them, because that involved a lot of messy stuff like the ball bouncing, someone having a cold, etc.  I actually think it's probably a natural reaction against the unpredictability of sports--sort of like grasping for the little bit of solid ground that exists.

It's my leading theory on why topics like that always come up.  I wish they would let it go and just realize that random stuff happens and the games are not perfect situations.  A win doesn't mean team A is better than B and it never will.  It just means they won the game.  That's it.  Play again and the result might be different.  Whatever.  It's a game, it's fun to watch and play, but that's it.
I spend all my time playing Trackmania, and various board games. You might remember me as Corndog7 or PossibleOatmeal.
Twitter sucks now. I deleted my account. I mostly just use TikTok now.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 27, 2017, 09:40:07 am
I can blame someone who says they grew up a Hog fan for going elsewhere when the Hogs had just been to the NCAA tournament and Moses and Dusty were returning, so there'd have been 3 players capable of carrying the team in scoring without even accounting for Macon and Barford. None of that compares to Kentucky, but it's not like he would have been playing in the CBI tournament. We expected to make the NCAAs without him, and did. But Drake isn't going to come hang out in our locker room and every scrimmage isn't going to be on the SEC Network. I get that there are things the U of A just can't offer, but Arkansas had a quality roster. I think the roster was good enough to justify him staying and building something for his state. I don't blame people for thinking less of him since he has stated that he grew up a Razorback fan and is proud of his state. In that since, he definitely betrayed us. But I get why he went to Kentucky. That doesn't mean I have to respect his decision because, like I said, he made no secret that he grew up a Hog fan and talked about representing the state. Well, you could have easily done that at Arkansas and still probably gone to the Elite 8 (the team got screwed out that without him). His draft stock wasn't taking a hit at Arkansas, so spare me the line about looking out for himself and his family if that's coming. The projected #1 draft pick played for 9-22 Washington. They'll see you at Arkansas. He went to Kentucky for all that extra little bullsh-t and notoriety. No one has to respect him for that.

Wow! You really get wrapped up in 18 year olds. I guess when you were that age you made all of the right decisions.

I never said you had to respect him. I said I can understand his decision. I don't need to condemn the kid's decision to go to KY. But if you feel better then I guess that is all that matters. As a program we will survive without him and life goes on.  ;D
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

HoopS

Quote from: hogsanity on March 31, 2017, 08:55:50 am
There is not one person on this board that is disappointed that the Hogs made the ncaat.
You and I know for a fact people used to hope we'd lose to get rid of Nutt. I will guarantee you there's some now disappointed because they know MA has solidified himself for the time being. People still try to minimize everything we do just to make our team (coach) look less impressive. It's as if we are surrounded by Aggie fans at times. The joy of the "I told you so" crowd when lose is only surpassed by their silence when we win.

But I've heard it first hand. There's some who aren't happy. At all. They suck.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: HoopS on March 31, 2017, 07:46:26 pm
You and I know for a fact people used to hope we'd lose to get rid of Nutt. I will guarantee you there's some now disappointed because they know MA has solidified himself for the time being. People still try to minimize everything we do just to make our team (coach) look less impressive. It's as if we are surrounded by Aggie fans at times. The joy of the "I told you so" crowd when lose is only surpassed by their silence when we win.

There aren't a lot of those people. They just tend to stick out like a sore thumb.

hogsanity

Quote from: HoopS on March 31, 2017, 07:46:26 pm

Yes there were those with Nutt, funny thing is some of them are the most supportive of MA. They were open with it too, but i have seen no one posting the hope the hogs lose to get rid of Mike because they know Mike aint going nowhere unless he wants too, and that was BEFORE they went on their late season run.

HoopS

Hoggie17

I have been in MA's corner since the day we hired him.  I have said he is one of top 10 coaches in college basketball.  I believed that then and believe that now.  As long as we keep Mike we have a chance for a deep run in the NCAAT.

I am so happy we have Mike Anderson's at the U of A.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Jim Harris on March 30, 2017, 01:13:50 pm
Refs did not "give" Arkansas the Seton Hall game. Arkansas was up 1 and in possession of the ball and Barford was fouled. He was going to the line. The only "break" arkansas got was getting FTs and the ball, but Seton Hall, whichc at this point couldn't hit a basket much less keep from traveling a gainst the pressure, would have to hit a 3 in the last 19 seconds to tie had the call been the way you  think it should have. One other however is that the call was made exactly as it is written.
I am so sick and tired of people saying Arkansas got the game handed to them as if it was the same as North Carolina being handed the game against Arkansas, handed a basket on a no-charge-call/no-travel call assist from a flailing Joe Berry, not to mention the non-call on the tipped Macon shot in which it easily could have been called 3 FTs on the foul that wasn't whistled on the deflection that apparently didn't occur in the officials' eyes.
It's not even in the same ball park, and yet some people who even claim to be Hog fans act like Arkansas's Seton Hall win was the same as the way the Hogs' lost to North Carolina.
Well, horse darn.

Vey wel stated, Jim. Great post.

hogsanity

Quote from: Hoggie17 on April 02, 2017, 09:06:51 am
I have been in MA's corner since the day we hired him.  I have said he is one of top 10 coaches in college basketball.  I believed that then and believe that now.  As long as we keep Mike we have a chance for a deep run in the NCAAT.

I am so happy we have Mike Anderson's at the U of A.

See, this is the kind of post that has to be just to troll. Mike is a top 10 coach, yet has just 2 NCAAT game wins in 6 season?

southarkhog06

Quote from: hogsanity on April 02, 2017, 09:45:59 pm
See, this is the kind of post that has to be just to troll. Mike is a top 10 coach, yet has just 2 NCAAT game wins in 6 season?
I don't follow your logic. He may be overrating MA a bit, but he isn't going after any other posters or anything like that.

Had he said something like "Anyone who still doesn't believe MA is a top 10 coach is an idiot" then yes that's trolling. All he did was give an opinion that differs from yours. Calling him a troll seems a little trollish in and of itself to me.