Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2017 schedule with opponent's previous and following opponent

Started by lakecityhog, March 11, 2017, 02:37:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

lakecityhog

Date               Opponent                      Previous                          Following
8/31        H   Florida A&M             Texas Southern                  BYE
They will already have played a game which could be a positive for them but it won't matter.                     
9/9             H   TCU                     Jackson State                    SMU
They will be playing a warm-up game at the same time as us. No real test after to be looking towards.
9/23             N   ATM                  Louisiana Layfayette             H  South Carolina
We have a BYE week to REALLY prepare, we need to take advantage! ATM opens with UCLA in Cali, then a couple of cruise games before meeting us. Could they look past us towards USCe?? I doubt it.
9/30            H   New Mexico State          UTEP                       Appalachian State
Nothing to really see here.
10/7            @     USCe                       @   ATM                          @   Tennessee
Our 1st real road game with USCe coming off a tough road game and looking towards their 1st division road game. They could be a bit banged up and maybe looking towards Tenner??? Maybe a point or 2 in the + column for us.
10/14        @ Alabama                           @ ATM                             H   Tennessee  
3 tough games in a row for Bama and we all know the importance of the Tennessee game, but will it matter?
10/21         H   Auburn                               @ LSU                               @   ATM     
We are the sandwich game of a 3 game road trip and they could be really beat up after LSU. ATM gets the real break, After LSU and Arkansas they will be beat up.
10/28          @ Ole Miss                           H   LSU                                     @ Kentucky                                                                       
By this point in the season OM could be just playing out the string or can Hugh keep the holding on to the rope? It shouldn't matter we beat them when they were loaded.
11/4         H   Coastal Carolina               H Texas State                              H     Troy
This should be our 2nd BYE and a chance to rest or regulars AND give some game experience to the subs!
11/11           @       LSU                              @   Alabama                              @   Tennessee
Easily our 2nd toughest game of the year! Can Ed O keep them playing well?
11/18             H Mississippi State                H Alabama                                    @ Egg Bowl
They will be better on O but we should be better on D! If we can minimize the QB runs we win.
11/25              H   Missouri                         @ Vandy                                                N/A
We should win this game from pure anger alone!

We get a couple of games where teams could be trying to take a peek at their next opponent plus we get a couple of games where teams are coming off a game with a VERY physical opponent. Both are good for us, can we take advantage when the opportunity arises?

factchecker

Great work.  I like evaluating schedules/common opponents etc. of teams we play as well.  Thanks for the info.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

HiggiePiggy

I doubt any team other than possibly Alabama will be looking past us. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

NotSoFastMyFriend

I see 9 wins on that schedule and hopefully a 10th in the bowl.

MTBrookHog

11/4         H   Coastal Carolina               H Texas State                              H     Troy
This should be our 2nd BYE and a chance to rest or regulars AND give some game experience to the subs!

Coach B has shown in the past that he doesn't believe in bringing subs in until the 4th quarter (and many posters since the pros don't do this). More than likely it will be the starters padding their stats.

woodhog14

Quote from: hogcard1964 on March 13, 2017, 09:26:27 am
10-7 through 10-28 is tough.

Every year in the SEC is tough. Every single year. Should be used to it by now.

hogcard1964

Quote from: woodhog14 on March 13, 2017, 10:47:54 am
Every year in the SEC is tough. Every single year. Should be used to it by now.

For the most part.

3 of our last 4 games are to pretty bad teams.

NotSoFastMyFriend

Quote from: hogcard1964 on March 13, 2017, 11:44:06 am
For the most part.

3 of our last 4 games are to pretty bad teams.
I agree. I think we can throw Ole Miss out there and say that 4/5 of the last games are to pretty bad teams.

Freeze is not a motivator. He's a fake, a puppet. That team is going to implode on him this year and quit playing for each other kind of like the 2012 Hogs team did. Freeze is gone after 2017 if not sooner.

Al Boarland

Quote from: NotSoFastMyFriend on March 14, 2017, 09:55:01 am
I agree. I think we can throw Ole Miss out there and say that 4/5 of the last games are to pretty bad teams.

Freeze is not a motivator. He's a fake, a puppet. That team is going to implode on him this year and quit playing for each other kind of like the 2012 Hogs team did. Freeze is gone after 2017 if not sooner.

Actually, he's a great motivator. I don't know if he will be able to hold the team together or not, but your statement is inaccurate.

Poker_hog

Easiest schedule in the last 10 years.  No excuses this year.
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

RME

Quote from: Poker_hog on March 14, 2017, 07:35:37 pm

You forgot the /s at the end of your post. You might confuse some people here into thinking you're actually serious.

Poker_hog

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on March 14, 2017, 08:06:24 pm
You forgot the /s at the end of your post. You might confuse some people here into thinking you're actually serious.

I'm serious.  Saw on another site that Phil steel ranked our schedule as the 49th hardest.  We've never been ranked that low. 

bennyl08

Quote from: Poker_hog on March 14, 2017, 07:35:37 pm

Don't know about the last 10 years, but definitely the easiest schedule we've had in a good while. Have an easy East draw with SC. Get the toughest winnable games at home save for OM.

Sets up very favorably for a 9 win season so long as the defensive switch doesn't make our defense even worse, which I don't think it will.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

RME

Quote from: Poker_hog on March 14, 2017, 08:36:44 pm
I'm serious.  Saw on another site that Phil steel ranked our schedule as the 49th hardest.  We've never been ranked that low.

You really think on the road at Alabama, LSU, South Carolina, Ole Miss (don't care if they're a dumpster fire, we lost to Mizzou last year for God's sakes), (basically) A&M, and TCU as a non-conf is our easiest schedule in 10 years?

bennyl08

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on March 14, 2017, 09:13:32 pm
You really think on the road at Alabama, LSU, South Carolina, Ole Miss (don't care if they're a dumpster fire, we lost to Mizzou last year for God's sakes), (basically) A&M, and TCU as a non-conf is our easiest schedule in 10 years?

aFm: Easy game, should win.
TCU: We get them at home which makes this game a lot easier than it was last year. They return players from an inexperienced team last year, but same is true for us.
Aggies: It's been at Jerry world for the better part of the last decade so no change their.
NMState: easy game.
@SC: Yes, it's an away game, but name me a team that is definitively weaker than SC in the east? I mean, picture playing a team that has the Florida offense we faced with our 2015 defense and that is SC. There are arguments that Vandy and Kentucky might be easier, but not by much. UGA, Tenner, Fla, and Mizzou are all way way above SC in terms of toughness to beat right now.
@Bama: Advantage us. We will likely lose this game as well. Why waste homefield advantage?
Auburn: We are neck and neck with Auburn. Unlike Bama, having this at home helps our likelihood of winning.
@OM: This is the only real blemish on the schedule. They could be in a dumpster fire, but there is still some talent on that team.
CoCa: Will be our toughest OOC game outside of TCU. Still easier than a LaTech or Tulsa game though.
@LSU: We play them tough no matter what the rankings are or where the game is. I'd rather have this game at home, but this is the 2nd most physically talented team will be play all season and #3 isn't anywhere close behind. This is the 2nd most likely game for us to lose. So, like Bama, I'd much rather play LSU on the road and give us a more winnable game like Miss St or Auburn at home, plus, we have a solid history at their place so it isn't as bad as you think.
MSU: Playing the cowbells on the road, I don't care if we are 10-0 and they are 0-10 coming into that game, we are not a sure fire bet to come out of there with a win. However, when the game is at our house, we are most likely going to win.
Mizz: We have been the better team on the field each game that we have played them, but injuries and arrogance have made this series worse than it should have been. Missouri had arguably the best offense in the SEC last season and hardly lose anybody, so getting this game at home is a huge plus for us.

This is why the schedule is so favorable for us this year. Feel free to find a previous schedule that was easier with explanations as to why.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Poker_hog

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on March 14, 2017, 09:13:32 pm

Yes.  Alabama (anywhere) and lsu on the road will be very tough.  The rest of the games are very winnable.  Ole miss, USCe, and mizzou are all way down.  We get auburn, tcu and msu at home.  And we're so due against a&m.  3 cupcakes....

I agree with benny.  Any thing less then 9 wins would be a disappointment.

bennyl08

Going back to 2008, I will say that 2011 comes close in terms of easiness of the schedule. However, in that 10 year range of schedules, 2011 and 2017 are by far the two most favorable schedules and nothing else comes close.

RME

Quote from: Poker_hog on March 14, 2017, 09:33:04 pm
Yes.  Alabama (anywhere) and lsu on the road will be very tough.  The rest of the games are very winnable.  Ole miss, USCe, and mizzou are all way down.  We get auburn, tcu and msu at home.  And we're so due against a&m.  3 cupcakes....

I don't wanna come off as a pessimist, because I think if this year's team had last year's home schedule, 9 would be a no-doubter. It's just tough for me to come around on 9 regular season wins with these road games, but obviously I'm hoping you guys are right.

Top portion of returning starters in the SEC: total - offense - defense  -QB (yes/no):

Georgia   17   7   10   Yes
Kentucky   17   8   9   Yes
S. Car   16   10   6      Yes
Vanderbilt   16   9   7   Yes
Auburn   15   8   7   Yes
Missouri   15   10   5   Yes
Florida   14   9   5   Yes
Tennessee   14   7   7   No
Arkansas   13   7   6   Yes

Despite last year's debacle, I think we beat Auburn at home. The South Carolina away game and the Missouri game just don't have me 100% sold yet, but I hope I'm wrong. I know what we all think of Mizzou, because I think of them the same way, but results against them have left a lot to be desired.

I can get on board with 8 regular season wins with this schedule; Florida A&M, TCU, New Mexico State, Auburn, Ole Miss, Coastal Carolina, Mississippi State, Missouri.

But, it's the SEC. God only knows.

bennyl08

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on March 14, 2017, 10:16:59 pm
I don't wanna come off as a pessimist, because I think if this year's team had last year's home schedule, 9 would be a no-doubter. It's just tough for me to come around on 9 regular season wins with these road games, but obviously I'm hoping you guys are right.

Top portion of returning starters in the SEC: total - offense - defense  -QB (yes/no):

Georgia   17   7   10   Yes
Kentucky   17   8   9   Yes
S. Car   16   10   6      Yes
Vanderbilt   16   9   7   Yes
Auburn   15   8   7   Yes
Missouri   15   10   5   Yes
Florida   14   9   5   Yes
Tennessee   14   7   7   No
Arkansas   13   7   6   Yes

Despite last year's debacle, I think we beat Auburn at home. The South Carolina away game and the Missouri game just don't have me 100% sold yet, but I hope I'm wrong. I know what we all think of Mizzou, because I think of them the same way, but results against them have left a lot to be desired.

I can get on board with 8 regular season wins with this schedule; Florida A&M, TCU, New Mexico State, Auburn, Ole Miss, Coastal Carolina, Mississippi State, Missouri.

But, it's the SEC. God only knows.

Copy pasted this from an older post I made this year. This should have you feeling a lot better about SC.

SC's team stats rankings from 2016

Total defense: 66th, 953 plays, 411.9 yards per game, 5.62 yards per play, 40 offensive td's.
51st in scoring defense for a total of 26.5 ppg
90th in tackles for loss, 5.4 per game
97tied in sacks with 1.62 per game
90th rushing defense, 2642 yards allowed, 4.8 ypr, 20 td's, 203.2 ypg
16th in red zone defense, 53 attempts, 31 td's, 9 fgs, 13 no scores
53rd in passing efficiency defense, 125.78 rating allowed
39th passing defense, 60.3% completion, 20:15 td:int, 2713 yards, 6.73 ypa, 208.7 ypg
133th in defensive first downs, allowing total of 298 with 20 by penalty
91st in 4th downs percentage, allowing 14 conversions on 24 attempts
95th in 3rd down conversions, allowing 81 of 190 for 42.6 conversion

62nd in TOP with 30 min
24th tied in turnover margin, with 27 gained and 20 lost
37th in penalty ypg, 65 total, 46.62 ypg, 5 penalties per game

115th in total offense, 877 plays, 5.15 ypp, 347.5 ypg, and 32 offensive td's.
116th in scoring offense, 20.8 ppg
123rd tfl allowed, 7.85 per game
118th in sacks allowed, 41 total, 3.15 per game
108th rushing offense, 1747 yards, 3.68 ypr, 20 rush td's, 134.4 ypg.
117th red zone offense, 45 attempts, 26 td's, 8 fg, 11 no scores.
77th in passing efficiency, 125.96 rating
83rd passing offense, 12:7 td:int, 61.7% completion, 2771 yards, 6.89 ypa, 213.2 ypg
97th in offensive first downs, 241 total (21 by penalty)
60th in 4th down conversions, converting 13 out of 25.
109th in 3rd down conversions, converting 63 of 184 for 34.2%

bennyl08

SC went 6-7 last with with 4 of those wins by 6 points or less.

KennyHoggins

Quote from: Poker_hog on March 14, 2017, 09:33:04 pm

We've been saying that about aTm for about five years now. And regarding USC, we went 6-6 last year with 3 of those wins by 4 points or less (excluding Texas St game since they are essentially a DII team). I agree we are the better team, but that USC game will not be a gimme by any means. And Auburn at home followed by a trip to OM makes me nervous after back-to-back away games in Columbia and Tuscaloosa. Like Benny said, there's still a lot of talent at Ole Miss. I don't know, hope I'm wrong, I'm just not near as optimistic about this schedule as y'all.

bennyl08

Quote from: KennyHoggins on March 15, 2017, 11:04:32 am
We've been saying that about aTm for about five years now. And regarding USC, we went 6-6 last year with 3 of those wins by 4 points or less (excluding Texas St game since they are essentially a DII team). I agree we are the better team, but that USC game will not be a gimme by any means. And Auburn at home followed by a trip to OM makes me nervous after back-to-back away games in Columbia and Tuscaloosa. Like Benny said, there's still a lot of talent at Ole Miss. I don't know, hope I'm wrong, I'm just not near as optimistic about this schedule as y'all.

Well, if we are excluding FCS teams, then SC went 5-7 while we went 6-6 with a much harder schedule.

No game in the SEC is ever a gimmee. However, we complain about our defense being one of the worst on record and it ranked in the 70's. Their offense consistently ranked behind the top 110 with their defense being on average about 10 spots ahead our atrocious defense last season and 10 spots worse than what we had in 2015.

To be fair, they should improve more than most teams. They were breaking in a new system which always has its hiccups and they were breaking in new players at the same time. That's a recipe for a lost season and they did well just to make a bowl game. However, they'd have to move up 40 rankings on offense, about a 33% improvement, just to catch up to being on par with our historically bad defense from last season. Our defense has been our liability and our offense looks to be our strength again this season. Even if their defense improves from being worse tan our 2015 defense to being respectable, their offense doesn't frighten me at all.

Poker_hog

Quote from: KennyHoggins on March 15, 2017, 11:04:32 am

This site ranks sos going back to 2003.

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/ranking/schedule-strength-by-other?date=2006-01-05

The last time we were outside the top 40 in sos was 2005-6 at 45.  So if Phil Steele is right about us having a sos of 49, this the easiest schedule we've had in at least 15 years. 

You're right we may not win big this year but it's not because of our typical brutal schedule. 

RME

Quote from: bennyl08 on March 14, 2017, 11:01:10 pm
SC went 6-7 last with with 4 of those wins by 6 points or less.

That's an interesting stat (not saying the others you provided weren't, hah). Don't know why I didn't check that out, but yeah that's pretty telling.