Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

No struggle no progress

Started by twistitup, March 10, 2017, 08:06:49 am

Previous topic - Next topic

twistitup

2017 is the year for progress under CBB
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Hawgndaaz

Poker_hog

Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

DeltaBoy

I expect more wins and a better bowl game.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Al Boarland

TBD, but I don't share your confidence. Too many head scratchers too long into his tenure.

code red

Quote from: Al Boarland on March 10, 2017, 11:51:38 am
TBD, but I don't share your confidence. Too many head scratchers too long into his tenure.
Yep and a defensive transition which in reality is just smoke and mirrors.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

ZERO

Quote from: code red on March 10, 2017, 11:54:47 am

Yeah, but that transition is a good excuse for another 6-8 wins.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

hogcard1964

+1000

Everyone with half a brain knows how this is playing out and how the timeline for success  is being artificially extended.

theFlyingHog

Quote from: hogcard1964 on March 10, 2017, 03:29:49 pm
+1000

Everyone with half a brain knows how this is playing out and how the timeline for success   is being artificially extended.
You guys can leave now. I'll email you when Bobby comes back.

hogcard1964

Quote from: theFlyingHog on March 10, 2017, 03:30:49 pm

He's not taking a step back or making a lateral move.  There's zero chance of Petrino ever coming back here.

NotSoFastMyFriend

Quote from: hogcard1964 on March 10, 2017, 03:33:28 pm
He's not taking a step back or making a lateral move.  There's zero chance of Petrino ever coming back here.
Thank God for that. Hogs win 10 next year with more speed on offense and defense in a QB-poor league.

tophawg19

+1000

Everyone with half a brain knows how this is playing
+1000

Everyone with half a brain knows how this is playing out and how the timeline for success  is being artificially extended
well from your posting history , you have half a brain . As for me i trust FOTH .he has better insight into the team
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Al Boarland

Quote from: NotSoFastMyFriend on March 10, 2017, 10:41:56 pm
Thank God for that. Hogs win 10 next year with more speed on offense and defense in a QB-poor league.
QB poor league? This isn't last season. '16 was the year CBB had to win 9/10 games. It's going to be a lot harder this season.

FANONTHEHILL

March 11, 2017, 07:00:37 am #13 Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 09:35:42 am by FANONTHEHILL
I always find it interesting that people sit in front of their computers in the middle of March and declare that anything less than 10 wins means that the coaching staff is incompetent and/or the players aren't doing the right off season program and Herbert doesn't know what he's doing.  Everyone wants success. Everyone was unhappy with the way the last two games of 2016 went.  But you have to take a long look at who Arkansas is and what is the baseline on which you base your expectations.  I have said many times that I believe that Arkansas is a program that should expect 8-9 wins per year.  Anything else is a major disappointment.   2016 was a disappointment.  An 8-9 win program can have a breakdown or two and finish with 6-7 wins.  A major disappointment.  When you get the breaks, that can be 10-11 wins.  It is all very fluid. 

So what is Arkansas' history.  Since joining the SEC in 1992, Arkansas has won 9 or more games 6 times.  That includes 10 wins in 2006 and 2010, as well as 11 wins in 2011.  So in 25 years, Arkansas has double digit wins 3 times.  Despite that fact, people think that should be the expectation every year.  I will agree, the team should plan and practice to go out and win every game.  I know for a fact that they do that.  The reality of the situation is simply that life in the SEC is hard.  Anyone who allows them self to be miserable because Arkansas doesn't win 10 games every year is going to have a depressing life. 

I'm a fan.  Always have been and always will be.  I like most, believe that the final record is what people remember after each season.  But I believe that it's more than that.  Did players give their best and prepare in every way they could to succeed?  If the players take the game plan, follow " The Edges" that are the doctrine of the program, and stay mentally focused on the plan, they will have a chance to win every game they play.  Last season, the plan was not always sound.  Players were asked to do things that they weren't physically able to do.  That's Minnesota's problem now.  Arkansas won 7 games last year and lost 5.  Alabama was better, but giving up 49 is not acceptable.  LSU has amazing athletes, but not 38-10 better athletes.  Those two loses bother me, but don't eat at me.  Texas A&M, Auburn, Missouri, and Virginia Tech on the other hand were total breakdowns.  I feel the A&M loss was more poor defensive scheme.  Auburn was poor scheme as well, but there was a mental breakdown in that game as well.  Missouri and Virginia Tech were without doubt a lack of mental toughness.  I was on the 6th row behind the bench in Charlotte and could hear the coaches in the player's ears.  "Stick to the plan", "they are making the adjustments we talked about", and so on.  I know that we don't bash players here, but since I raised one of them I feel like I have a little leeway.  The players allowed the situation to overwhelm them in the last two losses.  That cannot happen.

The off season workouts have an added element this spring.  There are more fast paced, perform under pressure when fatigued competitions.  The mat drills they do every Tuesday have been tough.  My son has told me that the Tuesday workouts were in his opinion and the opinion of his teammates, "the hardest thing I've physically ever done".  Being a father and a fan my reply was, "Good! Watching Auburn, A&M, Mizzou, and VT was one of the hardest things your fan base has ever done." 

We as fans were upset with last year, but we aren't the team.   It was their pride that was hurt.  I took my sons to the Chiefs/Steelers playoff game in KC on January 15th.  We were in a restaurant and my younger son and I were wearing Razorback jackets.  A guy waiting for a table that was from Pittsburgh saw the jacket and asked about what happened at the bowl game.  I told him to wait a minute.  My son got back from the bathroom and I told him the man had a question for him.  I told the guy "this young man could answer the question better than I could, he's a Razorback player."  I did that for two reasons.  One was to see the look on the guys face.  It was priceless by the way.  The other was to show my son how people all over the country are watching.  He and his friends need to know how everything they do is watched.  Take pride in things you do right and face the critics when you don't live up to expectations.  It's part of becoming an adult.  I don't know how many games they will win this fall.  But I do know this.  They are working hard.  They have a head coach that they all believe in. An OC and offensive assistants that they respect.  A DC that they would run through a brick wall for and new assistants that have a great understanding of the new defense.  Another point my son pointed out is that you can tell every player on the roster is a Bielema recruit.  Everyone is on the same page. No one is late to workouts or meetings.  The focus is better.

As much as the fans pride took a hit, the hit the players and coaches took was much greater.  They realize that.  The team has gotten off the floor and gone back to work.  I have no idea how many games they will win this fall.  But I think we will see a new team this fall with a strong point to make to the fan base, the SEC and the country.  That's why I'd hate to Florida A&M on Thursday, August 31st.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

MuskogeeHogFan

Go Hogs Go!

The NewEra

FANONTHEHILL, I always enjoy your post.

2017 is a new season and the slate will be clean.  I won't be at all surprised to see a very salty Razorback football team this year.  My guess is they will earn the respect they are working so hard this off season to achieve.  The 3-4 will be a big plus.  Rhodes as the DC will be a big plus.  Enos and that side of the ball will be exciting.  Reaping the rewards of the redshirt program since Bielema's arrival will finally start to show up.

Arthur pigby sellers.

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on March 11, 2017, 07:00:37 am
I always find it interesting that people sit in front of their computers in the middle of March and declare that anything less than 10 wins means that the coaching staff is incompetent and/or the players aren't doing the right off season program and Herbert doesn't know what he's doing.  Everyone wants success. Everyone was unhappy with the way the last two games of 2016 went.  But you have to take a long look at who Arkansas is and what is the baseline on which you base your expectations.  I have said many times that I believe that Arkansas is a program that should expect 8-9 wins per year.  Anything else is a major disappointment.   2016 was a disappointment.  An 8-9 win program can have a breakdown or two and finish with 6-7 wins.  A major disappointment.  When you get the breaks, that can be 10-11 wins.  It is all very fluid. 

So what is Arkansas' history.  Since joining the SEC in 1992, Arkansas has won 9 or more games 6 times.  That includes 10 wins in 2006 and 2010, as well as 11 wins in 2011.  So in 25 years, Arkansas has double digit wins 3 times.  Despite that fact, people think that should be the expectation every year.  I will agree, the team should plan and practice to go out and win every game.  I know for a fact that they do that.  The reality of the situation is simply that life in the SEC is hard.  Anyone who allows them self to be miserable because Arkansas doesn't win 10 games every year is going to have depressing life. 

I'm a fan.  Always have been and always will be.  I like most, believe that the final record is what people remember after each season.  But I believe that it's more than that.  Did players give their best and prepare in every way they could to succeed?  If the players take the game plan, follow " The Edges" that are the doctrine of the program, and stay mentally focused on the plan, they will have a chance to win every game they play.  Last season, the plan was not always sound.  Players were asked to do things that they weren't physically able to do.  That's Minnesota's problem now.  Arkansas won 7 games last year and lost 5.  Alabama was better, but giving up 49 is not acceptable.  LSU has amazing athletes, but not 38-10 better athletes.  Those two loses bother me, but don't eat at me.  Texas A&M, Auburn, Missouri, and Virginia Tech on the other hand were total breakdowns.  I feel the A&M loss was more poor defensive scheme.  Auburn was poor scheme as well, but there was a mental breakdown in that game as well.  Missouri and Virginia Tech were without doubt a lack of mental toughness.  I was on the 6th row behind the bench in Charlotte and could hear the coaches in the player's ears.  "Stick to the plan", "they are making the adjustments we talked about", and so on.  I know that we don't bash players here, but since I raised one of them I feel like I have a little leeway.  The players allowed the situation to overwhelm them in the last two losses.  That cannot happen.

The off season workouts have an added element this spring.  There are more fast paced, perform under pressure when fatigued competitions.  The mat drills they do every Tuesday have been tough.  My son has told me that the Tuesday workouts were in his opinion and the opinion of his teammates, "the hardest thing I've physically ever done".  Being a father and a fan my reply was, "Good! Watching Auburn, A&M, Mizzou, and VT was one of the hardest things your fan base has ever done." 

We as fans were upset with last year, but we aren't the team.   It was their pride that was hurt.  I took my sons to the Chiefs/Steelers playoff game in KC on January 15th.  We were in a restaurant and my younger son and I were wearing Razorback jackets.  A guy waiting for a table that was from Pittsburgh saw the jacket and asked about what happened at the bowl game.  I told him to wait a minute.  My son got back from the bathroom and I told him the man had a question for him.  I told the guy "this young man could answer the question better than I could, he's a Razorback player."  I did that for two reasons.  One was to see the look on the guys face.  It was priceless by the way.  The other was to show my son how people all over the country are watching.  He and his friends need to know how everything they do is watched.  Take pride in things you do right and face the critics when you don't live up to expectations.  It's part of becoming an adult.  I don't know how many games they will win this fall.  But I do know this.  They are working hard.  They have a head coach that they all believe in. An OC and offensive assistants that they respect.  A DC that they would run through a brick wall for and new assistants that have a great understanding of the new defense.  Another point my son pointed out is that you can tell every player on the roster is a Bielema recruit.  Everyone is on the same page. No one is late to workouts or meetings.  The focus is better.

As much as the fans pride took a hit, the hit the players and coaches took was much greater.  They realize that.  The team has gotten off the floor and gone back to work.  I have no idea how many games they will win this fall.  But I think we will see a new team this fall with a strong point to make to the fan base, the SEC and the country.  That's why I'd hate to Florida A&M on Thursday, August 31st.

Fanonthehill I'm not sure you understand this website.

Hogville is a place where fans under anonymous names with generally little knowledge of the game, no insight into the program and often below average intelligence go to rant about the hogs.  This is generally done as a catharsis for their own unhappy lives. By bringing rational and knowledgeable insights to this board, you are ruining it for the vocal minority on here.

In other words keep up the good work.

The NewEra

Quote from: Arthur pigby sellers. on March 11, 2017, 09:10:23 am
Fanonthehill I'm not sure you understand this website.

Hogville is a place where fans under anonymous names with generally little knowledge of the game, no insight into the program and often below average intelligence go to rant about the hogs.  This is generally done as a catharsis for their own unhappy lives. By bringing rational and knowledgeable insights to this board, you are ruining it for the vocal minority on here.

In other words keep up the good work.

He can't help himself  ;)  Like he said, he loves the Hogs.  The others you alluded to, not so much.

DEVIL DOG HOG

Quote from: theFlyingHog on March 10, 2017, 03:30:49 pm

Plus 1000
"I love college football. It's the time of the year you can walk down the street with a girl on one arm and a blanket on the other, and nobody thinks twice about it." DUFFY DAUGHERTY

GO GREEN!

theFlyingHog

FAN, I saw how long this post was and didn't see that you posted it(on my phone, generally don't look at who the poster is) and I wasn't going to read it. With all the drivel I see here I don't like spending time reading a huge post. Then I saw from later posts that it was your post and went back to read it and I just wanted to say thanks. You and Mike Irwin are the only people I make it a point to read every post. You bring a lot to this board and it is much appreciated. Good luck to your son on the upcoming season!

Edit: I wore 61 my last year playing so tell him to kick butt for me

hogcard1964

hobhog

Man you have some serious hate going on. This program has really done a number on you...

GolfnHog

Simply stated, Fan: Thank you!
As Arthur piggie sellers alluded,  Hogville creates a conundrum for me: those that have answers to everything yet never represented the Hogs in uniform are a by product of this f'd up microwave society. Their myopic views are redundant and more times than not lack merit or substance. Yet,  I want my daily dose of Hogville. It's damn sure a case of "gotta give to take" and your objective knowledge are greatly appreciated.
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

jlhogfan

Sometimes I think the term "teasippers" was given to the wrong fans.  Why does Hogville try so hard to make sure "FANS" don't have high expectations?

Vantage 8 dude

I totally understand and agree with the old adage that "nothing worth having in this life comes easy". And while it would be nice to have fewer challenges along the way, I can accept those PROVIDING the struggles are worth it in the end. I think what's been missing to some extent are the tangible signs that definitive progress is being made. Unfortunately for many the only sure fire way of measuring that is through wins. What's been frustrating for me is that while we see some light with wins against LSU (obviously not this last season) Florida and such, at the same time we continue to flounder against 'Bama (then again who doesn't), a total blowout against Awbarn, yet another loss against TAM and then the total second half meltdown against a MISERABLE Missouri team. Add to that the Missouri rewind of a second half falling apart against VT in the bowl game and many of us are wondering how much more we're going to have to continue enduring before we finally see a break through that will last more than a game or two.

I believe the pieces are being put into place with (seemingly) better recruits, (hoped for) improved staff and scheme(s) and such. However, IMO we had better start seeing this hoped for improvement showing up on the field and in the record. Otherwise, we seem to be trying to slosh our way out of quick sand.

247Hog

So what is Arkansas' history.  Since joining the SEC in 1992, Arkansas has won 9 or more games 6 times.  That includes 10 wins in 2006 and 2010, as well as 11 wins in 2011.  So in 25 years, Arkansas has double digit wins 3 times.  Despite that fact, people think that should be the expectation every year.  I will agree, the team should plan and practice to go out and win every game.  I know for a fact that they do that.  The reality of the situation is simply that life in the SEC is hard.  Anyone who allows them self to be miserable because Arkansas doesn't win 10 games every year is going to have a depressing life. 

:razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

Great post. Please tell your son thank you for the work he and the team puts in. May not seem like it but the majority of fans appreciate what they do.
If there's one thing any of you should know as hog fans, brace yourself for disappointment and never get your hopes up.

It could be raining female body parts outside and we'd all be hit in the head with a pecker - Dmaxfan

gchamblee

Quote from: hobhog on March 11, 2017, 10:56:59 am
Man you have some serious hate going on. This program has really done a number on you...

our program hasnt done this to him. he will never recover from the firing of his cheating/lying hero. he is here to do his best to inflict his misery on as many fans as possible. he feels we deserve it for taking the only thing he has ever valued away from him. a particular coach that he places above the program.

hogcard1964

Quote from: hobhog on March 11, 2017, 10:56:59 am

I never hated Holtz.  I hated how he seemed to kind of overlook us later on when he was working with ESPN. He obviously held a grudge for being shown the door and made a point of casting us off and at times not even mentioning us when we deserved to be.  But I don't "hate" him.

wildhogman

There is also zero chance of him beating two teams in the weaker side of the SEC last year. His hiesman winning QB couldn't bail him out. 0-2 in SEC for 2016

FAN, I enjoyed your post very much.  As most know, I am down on the this HC because I don't believe he has given his all to present a winner here.  You said two things:  1.  We were not mentally tough at times last season.  I agree.  2.  If it shows that we have all BB recruits now, why did BB, the HC, allow players to stay here for 4 years who was dragging the team down????

I believe we will have a better team in 2017 primarily because BB will bear down and do those things necessary to provide a mentally tough and physically prepared team who knows their responsibilities and, I HOPE, a reasonable group of second and third teamers who have been somewhat provided the attention and training to perform their duties as seconds and thirds.  If we get a reasonable amount of this, we can have a team that utilizes its talent and that will show up in the win column.

I am very happy for you and your family and that you have a child that is good enough and willing enough to go through what it takes to become the best he can be.  And I hope and pray that the coaching staff is worthy of having such Kids out there to mold into a team and not waste their talents.

hogcard1964

Quote from: wildhogman on March 11, 2017, 05:15:58 pm
There is also zero chance of him beating two teams in the weaker side of the SEC last year. His hiesman winning QB couldn't bail him out. 0-2 in SEC for 2016

He's still not coming back here.  Let it go and move on.

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: 12247 on March 11, 2017, 05:49:50 pm
FAN, I enjoyed your post very much.  As most know, I am down on the this HC because I don't believe he has given his all to present a winner here.  You said two things:  1.  We were not mentally tough at times last season.  I agree.  2.  If it shows that we have all BB recruits now, why did BB, the HC, allow players to stay here for 4 years who was dragging the team down????

I believe we will have a better team in 2017 primarily because BB will bear down and do those things necessary to provide a mentally tough and physically prepared team who knows their responsibilities and, I HOPE, a reasonable group of second and third teamers who have been somewhat provided the attention and training to perform their duties as seconds and thirds.  If we get a reasonable amount of this, we can have a team that utilizes its talent and that will show up in the win column.

I am very happy for you and your family and that you have a child that is good enough and willing enough to go through what it takes to become the best he can be.  And I hope and pray that the coaching staff is worthy of having such Kids out there to mold into a team and not waste their talents.

I have read many of your posts and although I don't agree with your assessment of Coach Bielema, you are entitled to your perspective.  There is no other way I can say it and I'm sure that it won't change your mind,
but Bret Bielema is totally devoted to this program and works tirelessly to improve it.  He is all in and has the support of the administration, his staff, his players, as well as their families and will likely be here a long time unless he chooses to leave of his own accord. There is no coach at any level that I would rather have my son play for than Bret Bielema.   

As far as mental toughness and players on the roster, the relationship that a coach develops with his players is based on trust.  There is such a thing as a natural leader, but often leaders are made.  Most of the guys on the roster were leaders at their high school.  But when they put the pads on in practice on an SEC campus, they are back to square one.  That being said, coaches cannot approach a player and snap their fingers and suddenly they become a leader that others should look to as an example of how to get things done.  Players have to be developed to become leaders. Last year people looked to Deatrich on defense.  A broken hand and separated shoulder limited his game time and his ability to lead.  On offense, there was a unproven first year QB, he had to grow into the role.  It takes time. You also have to understand the players are a family and you don't toss players out of the program without an academic or disciplinary reason if they haven't yet taken a leadership role.  That would be a disaster and compromise every relationship they have built. The players that will be in leadership roles this fall are already stepping up.  Some are seniors, some are not.

As I mentioned in my post above, they have to be mentally tougher.  Everyone within the program knows that and so do all of us.  They learned a valuable lesson last year and hopefully leaders willstep up and stay healthy.  Morale is already improved with the staff changes and I think that will be reflected on the field.

I do want to share this with you 12247.  I know that this likely won't change your or anyone else's opinion of Coach Bielema, but he is fully devoted to these kids and this program and if you could sit down and talk to him I think it would change your perspective.  He teaches football, but also prepares these kids for their lives after football.   Living in Fayetteville, I'm fortunate enough to have spoken to every coach we've had since the early 70's.  Of all of those, Coach Broyles, Coach Hatfield, and Coach Bielema are the ones that I respect the most as teachers of football and builders of young men.  I hope that in time the fan base will see a level of success that pacifies them and shows them how blessed we are to have the head coach that we do.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

FAN, There is only 2 folks on here that might change my mind, you and/or Bret.  Had an ole Buddy once whose quote was:  Talks cheap, takes money to buy land.  For whatever reason, I don't feel this staff has used the talent available to its best.  I could be dead wrong.  I have been dead wrong many times in my life.  Thanks for being patience with my opinion.  I know how difficult it is to be decent to folks who don't agree with you.  We see that in 3D here all the time. 

When it comes to the Hogs, they are like Children.  Your Child can test your patience for months, years even, but let them finally make those decisions that make them successful and all is forgiven and forgot.  I hope beyond hope that this is BBs year, as he goes so go the Hogs.  Thank you for the nice posts.

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: 12247 on March 11, 2017, 08:19:53 pm
FAN, There is only 2 folks on here that might change my mind, you and/or Bret.  Had an ole Buddy once whose quote was:  Talks cheap, takes money to buy land.  For whatever reason, I don't feel this staff has used the talent available to its best.  I could be dead wrong.  I have been dead wrong many times in my life.  Thanks for being patience with my opinion.  I know how difficult it is to be decent to folks who don't agree with you.  We see that in 3D here all the time. 

When it comes to the Hogs, they are like Children.  Your Child can test your patience for months, years even, but let them finally make those decisions that make them successful and all is forgiven and forgot.  I hope beyond hope that this is BBs year, as he goes so go the Hogs.  Thank you for the nice posts.

We are all passionate about this program and we want the best for them.  Only time will tell how things work out.  I really appreciate civil dialogue regardless of whether opinions are pro or con.  What it all comes down to is the fact we all just want a strong program. Have a good weekend and Go Hogs.

Oklahawg

Quote from: 12247 on March 11, 2017, 08:19:53 pm

This renews my faith in so many things that are wrong these days. Not just hog things, but life things. For an out-spoken critic to be this humble in a reply is noteworthy and commendable.

FOTH is one of the best parts of HV these days and has done so much to elevate the discussion about our beloved hogs.

Thanks to both of you - you are proof that a tiny bit of effort can bridge the divide of differing opinions.

And, on one things we all agree - GO HOGS!!!!!
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Oklahawg

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on March 11, 2017, 08:31:30 pm
We are all passionate about this program and we want the best for them.  Only time will tell how things work out.  I really appreciate civil dialogue regardless of whether opinions are pro or con.  What it all comes down to is the fact we all just want a strong program. Have a good weekend and Go Hogs.

You can post here any time you want to. On any topic. And I will read it. Twice, often.

Thank you for being on HV and being a hog fan. May your son enjoy his time as a Hog - I look forward to cheering for him.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

wildhogman

Quote from: hogcard1964 on March 11, 2017, 06:34:00 pm
He's still not coming back here.  Let it go and move on.
I have. You brought him up and them pumped him up as if Arkansas is a step down.  Your saying Louisville is a step up from the Hogs?  I am getting confused.
Either way He aint coming back and I am glad. 

hogcard1964

Quote from: wildhogman on March 12, 2017, 12:43:51 am
I have. You brought him up and them pumped him up as if Arkansas is a step down.  Your saying Louisville is a step up from the Hogs?  I am getting confused.
Either way He aint coming back and I am glad.

I brought him up?  Are you sure about that?

tusksincolorado

Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

hogcard1964

sowmonella

Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

woodhog14

At least BB knows that there is something wrong with the defense and is trying to make changes. Stop it with your BS "smoke and mirrors" crap. You would be the first one on here bitching if BB hadn't made changes to the defense. You have no idea if the new defense will be a success or not, so just stop.

woodhog14

Quote from: hogcard1964 on March 12, 2017, 10:22:30 am
Huh?  What was the reason for the snark?

Probably from the posts earlier in the thread where you agreed with another poster that the new defense was just "smoke and mirrors". Then you totally changed your tune and agreed with FOTH who debunked the myth of a defensive transition being "smoke and mirrors".

+1000

Everyone with half a brain knows how this is playing out and how the timeline for success  is being artificially extended.

Quote from: hogcard1964 on March 11, 2017, 10:36:34 am
Great post FAN.

HamSammich

We will win 7 next year. e.x.a.c.t.l.y 7. and I'm good with that. But I think a lot of optimists in this thread will have a meltdown. 10 isn't happening folks.

hogcard1964

Quote from: woodhog14 on March 12, 2017, 10:47:17 am
Probably from the posts earlier in the thread where you agreed with another poster that the new defense was just "smoke and mirrors". Then you totally changed your tune and agreed with FOTH who debunked the myth of a defensive transition being "smoke and mirrors".

Smoke and mirrors in regards to what?  I merely repeated what everyone is already aware of.  The Hog's lack of success will be defended or excused in the coming years for all types of reasons.

woodhog14

Quote from: hogcard1964 on March 12, 2017, 11:57:56 am
Smoke and mirrors in regards to what?  I merely repeated what everyone is already aware of.  The Hog's lack of success will be defended or excused in the coming years for all types of reasons.

Changing to a 3-4 defense. How is that smoke an mirrors if the coaches think that a change in defense gives a better chance to win? Aren't you glad that BB understands he needs to make changes?

Hogsolo

We have to get more speed on the field and that's what they are doing. 

The SEC figured out Smith's D after his good year and he had nothing else apparently.   

CBB has built a program.   I hope it works out because a change is going to blow up the program for the next 10 years.   

hogcard1964

Quote from: woodhog14 on March 12, 2017, 02:56:32 pm
Changing to a 3-4 defense. How is that smoke an mirrors if the coaches think that a change in defense gives a better chance to win? Aren't you glad that BB understands he needs to make changes?

That's not what I was referring to. 

Of course it's good he's looking to improve the D.

nchogg

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on March 11, 2017, 07:37:36 pm
I have read many of your posts and although I don't agree with your assessment of Coach Bielema, you are entitled to your perspective.  There is no other way I can say it and I'm sure that it won't change your mind,
but Bret Bielema is totally devoted to this program and works tirelessly to improve it.  He is all in and has the support of the administration, his staff, his players, as well as their families and will likely be here a long time unless he chooses to leave of his own accord. There is no coach at any level that I would rather have my son play for than Bret Bielema.   

As far as mental toughness and players on the roster, the relationship that a coach develops with his players is based on trust.  There is such a thing as a natural leader, but often leaders are made.  Most of the guys on the roster were leaders at their high school.  But when they put the pads on in practice on an SEC campus, they are back to square one.  That being said, coaches cannot approach a player and snap their fingers and suddenly they become a leader that others should look to as an example of how to get things done.  Players have to be developed to become leaders. Last year people looked to Deatrich on defense.  A broken hand and separated shoulder limited his game time and his ability to lead.  On offense, there was a unproven first year QB, he had to grow into the role.  It takes time. You also have to understand the players are a family and you don't toss players out of the program without an academic or disciplinary reason if they haven't yet taken a leadership role.  That would be a disaster and compromise every relationship they have built. The players that will be in leadership roles this fall are already stepping up.  Some are seniors, some are not.

As I mentioned in my post above, they have to be mentally tougher.  Everyone within the program knows that and so do all of us.  They learned a valuable lesson last year and hopefully leaders willstep up and stay healthy.  Morale is already improved with the staff changes and I think that will be reflected on the field.

I do want to share this with you 12247.  I know that this likely won't change your or anyone else's opinion of Coach Bielema, but he is fully devoted to these kids and this program and if you could sit down and talk to him I think it would change your perspective.  He teaches football, but also prepares these kids for their lives after football.   Living in Fayetteville, I'm fortunate enough to have spoken to every coach we've had since the early 70's.  Of all of those, Coach Broyles, Coach Hatfield, and Coach Bielema are the ones that I respect the most as teachers of football and builders of young men.  I hope that in time the fan base will see a level of success that pacifies them and shows them how blessed we are to have the head coach that we do.
AAA+ post. We all don't agree but it's nice to see posters civil and respect to each others opinion which too many times does not happen. I am a 50 year plus fan and have seen all the ups and downs like many others. I would love to see a NC and hope for the best every year. Now all I can say is wait and see. I am also proud of how our players are held accountable and don't have to hear all these off field embarrassing media stories. To some winning is everything. I know these coaches and players want to win every game more than we do.

woodhog14

Quote from: hogcard1964 on March 12, 2017, 03:36:07 pm
That's not what I was referring to. 

Of course it's good he's looking to improve the D.

Well, you quoted the comment about changing defenses and it being smoke and mirrors and gave that quote a +1000. So what were you referring to then?